HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers receive Tom Sestito from Columbus for Michael Chaput and Greg Moore

Old
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
StCroixHaberdasher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
There's no problem with Tommy being timid. There's probably more of an issue with him not knowing when not to fight.

But he did hit his head on the ice very badly during a pre-season fight with Tootoo in 2009:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...out/index.html

Sestito had a 40+ goal season for the Plymouth Whalers, playing with James Neal and there was a point where he looked to have the same upside as Neal. But the injuries started piling up - including hip surgery, shoulder injuries, etc.
I was going to say in a lot of his fights he has trouble standing up.
Don't like to see a guy smack his head off the ice, better work on that.

StCroixHaberdasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:43 PM
IAMCANADIAN

So would he be considered a callup during the playoffs or do the Flyers go with someone else from the farm....Hamel?

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

6'5
228lbs

Career: 14gp | 2-2-4 |-4 |64pim|
10-11: 9gp | 2-2-4 | -4 |40pim|

holy hell... well we know why Homer traded for him.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
So would he be considered a callup during the playoffs or do the Flyers go with someone else from the farm....Hamel?
Hamel doesnt have an NHL contract.

At this point Sestito is probably 2nd callup after Wellwood

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Standard idiocy from the muscleheads that run this team. Trade talent for goonery. It's enough to make me hate this team sometimes.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:59 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Hamel doesnt have an NHL contract.

At this point Sestito is probably 2nd callup after Wellwood
He is exposed to waivers apparently if he comes up, so I think he'll probably have to wait to get his shot until the offseason.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
His skating is far better than Jody's. His hands are excellent as well. CBJ played him in front of the net on 2nd PP unit and he did well.

I think this is a good move for both teams. Columbus really needed some C depth and by the sounds of it had their eye on Chaput prior to the Flyers selecting him. Decent size, excellent on face-offs and plays a two way game. right?

You'll like Sestito but be advised he has suffered serious injuries in his young career already. One being hip surgery. Good luck
Yay, injury history! This doesn't bode well. Then again, Hartnell had the C-word stigma around him when the Flyers got him. Hopefully, Sestito can follow the same trajectory ... without the falling-down-for-no-reason skating ability.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Standard idiocy from the muscleheads that run this team. Trade talent for goonery. It's enough to make me hate this team sometimes.
He's not a goon.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Well this "goon" you speak of is second on the team in points now, so what does that tell you about the "talent" that was sacrificed for this "goon" they got?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Way to totally misrerad the trade.
The Flyers are stacked down the middle for the forseeable future but have no big physical forwards that are NHL ready.
This was two teams filling organizational needs.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

So he's an over sized Hartnell with less speed?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:49 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Unless he accidentally runs over another Flyer in practice and kills him, you're all going to love Sestito .

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Yay, injury history! This doesn't bode well. Then again, Hartnell had the C-word stigma around him when the Flyers got him. Hopefully, Sestito can follow the same trajectory ... without the falling-down-for-no-reason skating ability.
Versteeg has the C-word stigma, but everyone seems to love him anyway.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Are we all talking about the same C-word here?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Kutter

Definitely sorry to see Sestito leave the organization. He looked really solid in his 9 games with the Jackets this year and formed a pretty formidable duo on the same line as Jared Boll. The two "Bash Brothers" had history together playing on the same team in Plymouth in junior.

His is a tough, physical player but not a goon or stereotypical enforcer. Much, much better hands compared to Shelley. In fact, his hands around the net are in my mind his biggest upside. Try and find highlights from his goal a few games back with the Springfield Falcons and you will see what I mean about his hands.

The one downside, and an area he likely still needs to improve before becoming an NHL regular, is his skating. It didn't seem to hurt him much in the offensive zone, but there were a few times that his line got caught in the defensive zone trying to chase the puck while the other teams effectively cycled.

He's going to look very good in Philly orange.

Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What a waste. Sestito couldn't even crack the roster in Columbus and everyone here has him pegged in as a replacement for Carcillo or Shelley. The only thing Sestito is is a replacement for Klotz with the Phantoms. Holmgren gave up a top prospect with the potential of becoming a very good checking line center for someone who is a hack. Great move Homer.........
Way to base your opinion off of nothing but his penalty minutes. The guy is 3rd on his team in points despite playing 9 games in the NHL. He's 1st in points per game. Klotz last time I checked was in the ECHL and had like 6-7 points in over 100 AHL games. This is why this site drives me crazy, people screw crap like this without knowing a damn thing about the player. Your acting like Chaput is a lock to be a good NHL player. Sestito has shown he can hold his own in the NHL with little experience. I bet Sestito easily plays over 100 NHL games, can you make the same bet for Chaput who's in the Q?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Versteeg has the C-word stigma, but everyone seems to love him anyway.
No, we just don't despise him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Way to base your opinion off of nothing but his penalty minutes. The guy is 3rd on his team in points despite playing 9 games in the NHL. He's 1st in points per game. Klotz last time I checked was in the ECHL and had like 6-7 points in over 100 AHL games. This is why this site drives me crazy, people screw crap like this without knowing a damn thing about the player. Your acting like Chaput is a lock to be a good NHL player. Sestito has shown he can hold his own in the NHL with little experience. I bet Sestito easily plays over 100 NHL games, can you make the same bet for Chaput who's in the Q?
Oh please. The guy's a hack. Seriously, put me on that team he played with in Plymouth and I could easily put up those numbers as well. Sestito is a hack. He had his best OHL season as an overager and playing on a loaded club. And he's not a point per game player in the AHL. He scored 32 points in 46 games this year. That makes him a .7 points per game player.

Chaput on the other hand is putting up a point per game in the QMJHL while playing exceptional defense - he's been one of the best defensive players in all of junior hockey in Canada. Not to mention, Chaput is one of the best skaters in junior hockey and plays a physical game as well. He's been Mike Peca good and the Flyers traded that away. That's why I'm upset. Chaput will be a one day Selke nominee. Sestito brings nothing to the table that Chaput has. That's why I'm upset. Did they not learn from the Clarke era that size is not everything anymore and that it's imperative that one has skill? I guess they didn't because they traded for a carbon copy Ben Eager. That's why I'm upset.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
Definitely sorry to see Sestito leave the organization. He looked really solid in his 9 games with the Jackets this year and formed a pretty formidable duo on the same line as Jared Boll. The two "Bash Brothers" had history together playing on the same team in Plymouth in junior.

His is a tough, physical player but not a goon or stereotypical enforcer. Much, much better hands compared to Shelley. In fact, his hands around the net are in my mind his biggest upside. Try and find highlights from his goal a few games back with the Springfield Falcons and you will see what I mean about his hands.

The one downside, and an area he likely still needs to improve before becoming an NHL regular, is his skating. It didn't seem to hurt him much in the offensive zone, but there were a few times that his line got caught in the defensive zone trying to chase the puck while the other teams effectively cycled.

He's going to look very good in Philly orange.
Thanks for the info Kutter, I'll try and find some clips of his goals. Hope Upshall works out in Columbus.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Don't know much about Sestito, but it looks like maybe Holmgren thinks he can be a decent depth guy.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Dr. Octagon

Quote:
Oh please. The guy's a hack. Seriously, put me on that team he played with in Plymouth and I could easily put up those numbers as well. Sestito is a hack. He had his best OHL season as an overager and playing on a loaded club. And he's not a point per game player in the AHL. He scored 32 points in 46 games this year. That makes him a .7 points per game player.

Chaput on the other hand is putting up a point per game in the QMJHL while playing exceptional defense - he's been one of the best defensive players in all of junior hockey in Canada. Not to mention, Chaput is one of the best skaters in junior hockey and plays a physical game as well. He's been Mike Peca good and the Flyers traded that away. That's why I'm upset. Chaput will be a one day Selke nominee. Sestito brings nothing to the table that Chaput has. That's why I'm upset. Did they not learn from the Clarke era that size is not everything anymore and that it's imperative that one has skill? I guess they didn't because they traded for a carbon copy Ben Eager. That's why I'm upset.

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:

Since when is it hard to put up a PPG in the Q last I checked the league is all offense all the time. On top of that we have 6 count em, 6 maybe even 7 roster players that can play or play center. Be pissy all you want but your glorifying a player who hasn't stepped onto the ice for the AHL or the NHL yet like he will be a formiddable roster player in the next 3-4 years. Sorry but he won't not on this team. Our top 2 probably 3 Center positions are locked for the next 10+ years. To me it seems it would tunr into another Patrick Sharpe deal where the guy has all the talent int he world stuck on the 4th line of a deep team that would never be able to give him a chance sure maybe he does well for the Blue Jackets i the future bnut do you really think hed get the oppurtunity here

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
What a waste. Sestito couldn't even crack the roster in Columbus and everyone here has him pegged in as a replacement for Carcillo or Shelley. The only thing Sestito is is a replacement for Klotz with the Phantoms. Holmgren gave up a top prospect with the potential of becoming a very good checking line center for someone who is a hack. Great move Homer.........
A top prospect who had potential for fourth line minutes? Bit of an oxymoron there.

Homer will have consulted people around him and they'll all know more about any of our kids than we do.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:13 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yep, because that's the team they've assembled. All we are is a collection of goons and knuckle-draggers. If only we'd go for skillful lightweight players like Carter, Briere and Giroux, we'd really become a top side then.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Sounds a little bit like a bigger version of Asham. 3rd line upside, physical, will fight, not a great skater.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote