HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official deadline day thread 3 (No Richards)

Old
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
soooooo Richards basically said he wants to a Ranger if he's not a Star today. Have to take that as a big Positive
And Penner is making $4.25 next season in LA. You have to think that puts a real strain on their ability to make a run at Richards. He's not going to Toronto. TB has the same ownership issues that Dallas has. Boston will have to choose between Kaberle and Richards... assuming Savard is done. It's between us and Dallas as of today, things may change. If Dallas can't get the franchise sold, they are out too.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
frankthefrowner

Im vehmently against signing Brad Richards to the needed 5-6 year deal. We've been down this road a million times before. We sign player over 30 to long contract, we then look to dump him in 2 years because he is preventing us from making other moves.

If Richards wants to sign a reasonable 3 year contract, hey bring him on. Say NO to the long term deal.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
And Penner is making $4.25 next season in LA. You have to think that puts a real strain on their ability to make a run at Richards. He's not going to Toronto. TB has the same ownership issues that Dallas has. Boston will have to choose between Kaberle and Richards... assuming Savard is done. It's between us and Dallas as of today, things may change. If Dallas can't get the franchise sold, they are out too.
Tampa Bay does not have ownership issues. I don't know what makes you think that.

Vinik bought the team and is very wealthy and is spending a ton of money to fix the arena, has made nothing but positive changes, and is not unstable. If anything Tampa Bay is a legitimate threat to sign Brad Richards as he is friends with VL4, MSL, and they are a much more complete team than the Rangers are at this point.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

All in all today was a great success. While some people want instant gratification, Sather made the right move by doing nothing.

-Richards will want to come here in the offseason which means that regardless of where the Rangers finish, Torts will be back.

-The Knicks move of Mello is guaranteed to make Dolan money via playoff revenue and maybe they have a deep run so that'll keep him off of the Rangers backs.

-A top 4 centers next year of Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle is pretty darn good. Worst case scenario, one of them moves to wing to make room for Werek, Hagelin, Horak playing 4th line center.

-If they don't make the playoffs this year, that's ok, they're going in the right direction and despite what some people think, there IS some talent in the draft this year. Having a shot at Brandon Saad, Joel Armia, Viktor Rask, Ty Rattie, or Mike Zibanejad in round 1 is a sweet opportunity. With two seconds, they can gamble on someone smaller like a Grimaldi if he's still available or take a Matthew Nieto who fits the Gordie Clark mold. And it's time for them to draft another goalie.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Tampa Bay does not have ownership issues. I don't know what makes you think that.

Vinik bought the team and is very wealthy and is spending a ton of money to fix the arena, has made nothing but positive changes, and is not unstable. If anything Tampa Bay is a legitimate threat to sign Brad Richards as he is friends with VL4, MSL, and they are a much more complete team than the Rangers are at this point.
Hmmm, my bad. I thought they still had they issues between Barrie and the other guy. I thought I read on the boards that they still had turmoil but I am far from in the know.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm surprised we didnt acquire anyone. Mitchell doesnt count. I'm talking about adding another offensive threat even if it wasnt Richards. I really thought Sather was going to bring BR here. I guess the offer was just too high. Nieuwendyk is an idiot. He will lose BR for nothing. Dallas is barely hanging on in the Western Conference. BR isn't ready to come back. How long can they last?

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

good job keeping our young core together! Sather will get Brad in FA.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Im vehmently against signing Brad Richards to the needed 5-6 year deal. We've been down this road a million times before. We sign player over 30 to long contract, we then look to dump him in 2 years because he is preventing us from making other moves.

If Richards wants to sign a reasonable 3 year contract, hey bring him on. Say NO to the long term deal.
when was the last time we signed an elite player over 30 to a long contract?

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

Clearly you are against this team taking the next step.

Continued mediocrity for all!

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
A little disappointed the Stars didn't lower their asking price; having more time to negotiate and having him down the stretch could have been really helpful. Sather did the right thing and didn't give an assets up.

I'm not sure why some of you are so confident he will sign here on July 1st, Richards shot down the rumors that he was asked to waive his no trade clause. Of course New York is a desirable place to play, but other teams with more cap space may be able to offer more money and/or a longer contract. I do think we have a good chance, but I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Well, no one is certain Richards will sign here, and no one should be.

But there is mutual interest, and coupled with the Stars management situation, there is a shot.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Well, no one is certain Richards will sign here, and no one should be.

But there is mutual interest, and coupled with the Stars management situation, there is a shot.
Exactly, and I'll take that.

I'm happy we didn;t give away any assets for what could've turned out to be a rental, but I have to admit, I was starting to get a little "deadline day fever" and sort of hoping it would happen.

I'm better now.

02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Wow, Penner was available?? FAIL ON SATHER FOR SLEEPING ON THAT! AND NO GOALIE!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Wow, Penner was available?? FAIL ON SATHER FOR SLEEPING ON THAT! AND NO GOALIE!
You think we should have given up a first, a former first, and a third for an overpaid 20 goal scorer who is UFA after next year?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I like the Brad Boyes deal for Buffalo. 2nd round pick for Boyes is a good deal.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
when was the last time we signed an elite player over 30 to a long contract?
I dunno about elite, but I'm guessing he's talking about Redden/Drury/Gomez. I'm guessing he thinks one of "da kids" will fill in the spot.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
There's always a buzz around the deadline, with everyone wanting the team to make an awesome, blockbuster move. There's always a sense of disappointment when little happens.

However, I wasn't keen on any of the players that were reportedly available, or at least to cost required to obtain them. So doing nothing today is fine by me. We weren't winning the Cup this year with a Richards or Stastny, anyway.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You think we should have given up a first, a former first, and a third for an overpaid 20 goal scorer who is UFA after next year?
Those 20 goals would be leading this team. 30+ goals last year, might hit it again this season. But other than that, I agree with you.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

No Richards?

Whether you want him or not, trading for him would've been stupid.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Whether you want him or not, trading for him would've been stupid.
Well, trading for him in a deal for Anisimov, Grachev (or other highly regarded prospect), a first and another roster player would've been stupid.

Trading for him for Anisimov, a first and a conditional 2nd wouldn't have been. Depends on the price and Sather made the right decision.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
frankthefrowner

You sit here and hate on the Drury and Gomez Signings but god everyone thought that those were taking the next step, Gomez was viewed as just entering his prime and would score 90pts with Jagr. Meanwhile getting drury was the next coming of jesus christ himself.

People really have short term memories here. But no go ahead lets lock someone(with a concussion) up to a 5-6 year deal. Yea good idea ill see you guys in 2 years when we are discussing how to dump this contract on some poor team.

Now Redden i think we all saw that debacle coming a mile away to bad glen didnt.

Old
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You sit here and hate on the Drury and Gomez Signings but god everyone thought that those were taking the next step, Gomez was viewed as just entering his prime and would score 90pts with Jagr. Meanwhile getting drury was the next coming of jesus christ himself.

People really have short term memories here. But no go ahead lets lock someone(with a concussion) up to a 5-6 year deal. Yea good idea ill see you guys in 2 years when we are discussing how to dump this contract on some poor team.

Now Redden i think we all saw that debacle coming a mile away to bad glen didnt.
It all depends on the type of deal. Are we talking closer to 30 million over 5 year? Or 35? 4 years? Or 6? There are a lot of discrepancies.

I'll take 32.5 million over 5 years with a partial NTC(12 teams)

6.5 million/year for 5 years

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It all depends on the type of deal. Are we talking closer to 30 million over 5 year? Or 35? 4 years? Or 6? There are a lot of discrepancies.

I'll take 32.5 million over 5 years with a partial NTC(12 teams)

6.5 million/year for 5 years
There is not a chance in hell that gets it done. In fact i think it will take a 7 year deal. WE NEVER get the good deal we always consistantly over pay for talent to come here be it Scott Gomez or Ales Kotalik.

If anyone thinks Richards is going to give us a discount because he's tort's bff your allll mistaken.

Old
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
There is not a chance in hell that gets it done. In fact i think it will take a 7 year deal. WE NEVER get the good deal we always consistantly over pay for talent to come here be it Scott Gomez or Ales Kotalik.

If anyone thinks Richards is going to give us a discount because he's tort's bff your allll mistaken.
Ales Kotalik was signed for exactly market value at the time for a guy who averaged 22 goals per 82 games in his career. He was remarkably consistent for 6 seasons. And I think UFAs with those stats have seen their market value drop by $500k at the most. People saying we overpaid Kotalik, at least at the time, completely misread the market.

And Richards is way more concerned about location than the few hundred thousand to $1m that his salary might vary from one place to the other. It's not like he's going to have a ton of legitimate suitors anyway: see Ilya Kovalchuk. Most teams either can't afford his salary or can't afford his cap hit.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

So our deadline moves are McCabe and Wolski? I can live with that. What I can't live with is continued struggles with scoring and constant dump and chase hockey b/c of lack of skills.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote