HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline Pickup: Dumont

Old
02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Deadline Pickup: Dumont

Since we couldn't make a move, what about taking our existing veteran scoring forward, a leading scoring during his Pred career, and put him back on a scoring line. Yeah, he's slow; yeah, he doesn't grind. But, he has something most of our guys don't have: A scoring touch. He's worthless the way we're using him. An outside observer would scratch his head looking at a team who can't score and yet buries one of it's historical leading scorers on the fourth line with grinders.

Free JP Dumont!!!!!! Make him our veteran deadline scoring pickup.

Give him 3 straight games on a scoring line. I bet he gets 3 points.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
deanwormer

I was all in favor of this kinda' idea until Goc went down and we waived Svatos. Figured we could roll JP with Leggy and Horny and Wilson and Svatos with Fisher - but now, we got nothing for a 3rd line, so if you want to plug JP in, you gotta' switch him with one of Wilson/Horny/Erat/SK; that doesn't make much sense.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
predfan24

Agree 100 percent. We keep clamoring for a forward who puts up points yet we have one either toiling on the 4th line or scratched. Dumont is playing hard but not with tons of confidence right now and who can blame him. Trotz has boggled my mind lately sticking with Sully when he has been terrible for pretty much the whole year sans the first 15 games. Yet Dumont just continues to work hard and accept his role without complaining and our reward is giving him 7 minutes a game with grinders.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Agree 100 percent. We keep clamoring for a forward who puts up points yet we have one either toiling on the 4th line or scratched. Dumont is playing hard but not with tons of confidence right now and who can blame him. Trotz has boggled my mind lately sticking with Sully when he has been terrible for pretty much the whole year sans the first 15 games. Yet Dumont just continues to work hard and accept his role without complaining and our reward is giving him 7 minutes a game with grinders.
He's got about 4 million reasons not to complain. If you ask me, he's got a pretty sweet deal. Play with grinders, any offensive production is a bonus, go skate around for about 7 minutes a night. Where do I sign!

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
glenngineer

Put JP with Spaling and Halischuk and see what happens. Move Tootoo back with Ward and Smithson. Give each line limited minutes and see if one gets hot and if they do, ride them until they cool down. Ride the top two lines as much as you can.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:38 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Put JP with Spaling and Halischuk and see what happens. Move Tootoo back with Ward and Smithson. Give each line limited minutes and see if one gets hot and if they do, ride them until they cool down. Ride the top two lines as much as you can.
This. Or sit Tootoo and put Dumont with Geoffrion & Halischuk. JP looked pretty good with Mueller & Halischuk earlier, and the Smithson/Ward/Spaling line has been really, really good defensively.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
This. Or sit Tootoo and put Dumont with Geoffrion & Halischuk. JP looked pretty good with Mueller & Halischuk earlier, and the Smithson/Ward/Spaling line has been really, really good defensively.
this is what we did at Dallas , isn't it? I think that is what will happen depending on what team we are playing, whether to put in JP or Tootoo.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
He's got about 4 million reasons not to complain. If you ask me, he's got a pretty sweet deal. Play with grinders, any offensive production is a bonus, go skate around for about 7 minutes a night. Where do I sign!
I understand your point for the average joe=me.

These players have played thier whole life to play at this level. If he doesn't want to play anymore, that's a different story. From what I saw earlier in the year, it seemed like he still wanted to play and compete. Most people including me would be pissed if they were in his situation.

I wouldn't blame him one bit for not giving everything now though. I also would milk that contract for every last cent.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:14 AM
kivaerijo

i agree. but i have to say that dumont has "grinded" more lately than you are giving him credit for. it isnt always effective, but he is forechecking, and i actually saw him throw hits the last few games he has played. He is trying to play predator hockey. But i agree with throwing him on scoring line, but also agree with Glen about putting him with youngsters, it worked before.

so i guess i dont know what i would like to see, just hate seeing him used so sparingly after he is doing everything he is asked to do and more

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:09 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I guess alternate tootoo and jp for the pine riding. I can't decide who should sit. Tootoo brings the energy though. I think Sully is done as well. Time for the old guard to think about moving on out, imo.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:36 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I guess alternate tootoo and jp for the pine riding. I can't decide who should sit. Tootoo brings the energy though. I think Sully is done as well. Time for the old guard to think about moving on out, imo.
I don't think we can defend leaving Tootoo in down the stretch because he brings energy. He's been skating and looking for hits, but I haven't seen a noticeable difference in how the entire team has played in the few games he's been back. We're in desperate need of scoring. If your options are play either Tootoo of Dumont you have to go with Dumont every time. We still have Smithson, Spaling, and Hornqvist, and Halischuk to bring energy. Ward to if he feels like it. We have grit in Weber, SOB, and Smithson. If we start picking up some offensive chemistry without JP putting up numbers then your decision becomes harder, but right now it's simple. Dumont.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd like to think that JP is going to magically find his game after two years of struggling...I just can't see it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Alex Burrows (literally) knocked out any game that JP had left.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Trotz isn't giving Dumont 12 minutes a night because he doesn't like the things Dumont does; he's limiting Dumont's ice time because that's all he can handle.

Let's face it, Dumont has aged far faster than anyone could have expected when he signed that big contract three years ago. He still has his shot, and he still hustles and plays the body where he can, but anything resembling speed that he once had is gone. If Dumont were given more ice time, it would only reaffirm that, and he would struggle just as Bouillon did when he played far more minutes than he should have.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:53 PM
don28

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Trotz isn't giving Dumont 12 minutes a night because he doesn't like the things Dumont does; he's limiting Dumont's ice time because that's all he can handle.

Let's face it, Dumont has aged far faster than anyone could have expected when he signed that big contract three years ago. He still has his shot, and he still hustles and plays the body where he can, but anything resembling speed that he once had is gone. If Dumont were given more ice time, it would only reaffirm that, and he would struggle just as Bouillon did when he played far more minutes than he should have.
This. ^ The only hope left for the playoffs is if the young guys (Wilson, Hornqvist, Blum) start scoring more frequently than they have so far.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by don28 View Post
This. ^ The only hope left for the playoffs is if the young guys (Wilson, Hornqvist, Blum) start scoring more frequently than they have so far.
I agree about Wilson and Hornqvist needing to step up, but that isn't very fair to Blum. He's played in four NHL games total, and has one goal. I wouldn't really expect a rookie defenseman to be putting up a lot of numbers.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote