HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Post-Trade Deadline Talk

Old
02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 480
I think the thing about Higgins that has not been mentioned enough is that there is absolutely NO pressure for him to produce offensively here. For a streaky player, I believe this is the best situation to be in.

Hopefully we see him pot a few timely goals.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

vCash: 500
My iconic avatar is back..

Should we make 2011 Playoff avatars yet?

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
2 solid moves from Gillis. Didn't give up much and got decent players.

I like the Higgins rental, he's easily our best top 6 replacement winger in an emergency.

Lappy, meh not great not terrible but not that cheap either at $900K considering he's not a stud #4 (ie Reasoner was only $1,150,000).

Suprised they didn't take a bigger run Reasoner though, Shirokov and pick would have gotten it done IMHO (chances are we lose Shirokov to Russia next year, his cap hit of $1,300,000 might ensure he has no spot anyway). All I can think is Tallon/Reasoner are working on a deal for next year and with Reasoner's wife pregnant he wasn't prepared to ruin any good will for anything less than massive overpayment.

Speaking of Tallon, is he on drugs? Did the owners tell him he's being let go in the off season and he's undercutting the team? I have no idea what is going on in his brain.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
We got what we needed. Higgins is a big bonus in my books if he can get healthy.

I find it odd there were a bunch of people clamoring for Konopka who don't like the Lapierre acquisition. The only difference is Konopka fights; otherwise they're mightily similar players.

The success we've been having with prospect free agent signings sort of makes 3rd rounders expendable.
Don't like what Konopka brought to the table. Good PK'er but spends too much time in the box to be effective in that category overall.

At least Lapierre is somewhat disciplined. And AV gave him the vote of confidence. I like the move a lot.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Gorge Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Speaking of Tallon, is he on drugs? Did the owners tell him he's being let go in the off season and he's undercutting the team? I have no idea what is going on in his brain.
There is a video on the Panthers site where he goes over his thoughts, YMMV.

http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videoc...=724&id=100350

Gorge Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Lappy will center the 4th, he hasn't taken many draws in Anaheim but he was regularly in Montreal.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
taipale*

I am absolutely THRILLED about these moves. We gave up nothing we should be adamantly protecting as assets. 3rd rounders are pretty much covered with out-of-draft signings once again.. Evan Oberg was so low in our depth it's not even funny, Joel Perreault never did us any good here.

And for those, we received a troll whose timely playoff goals circle the youtube, who HAS a reputation but also has history with our head coach. And a secondary scorer that pushes Raymond, is big, defensively reliable and has done a lot of PK this year, so we can take the pressure off some of our PK guys we already had.

Pitch-perfect.

taipale* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Peter Griffin

I'm happy with both trades made today. Higgins provides some more depth in the top 9 and a guy that could push Raymond for his spot on Kesler's wing. He's also a solid PK'er. And Lapierre should provide some stability at center on the 4th line, seems like an AV type player. He also put up 28 points with the Habs a few years ago so he has some offensive ability.

I also like that the picks given up were in drafts down the road, gives Gillis plenty of time to recoup picks.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Don't count out Oreo for the playoffs, especially if a roster banger
gets hurt. He was coming on during his few games here. He skates fast
and brings a load, and could be inspired by playing alongside Laps, who could
mentor him in nastiness.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
With the Flyers and Wings standing pat for the most part today, I think the Canucks pushed themselves back to the top of the league. Higgins is no Versteeg, but he's on pace for nearly 20 goals with no PP time, something that he may get here. There will be no pressure on him to produce so I see him slowly making his way up the lineup. He could replace Raymond or Samuelsson on the 2nd line if they get into slumps. I'm not too fond of Lapierre, but he's one of those Burrows-like players that you hate unless he's on your team. Nothing wrong with adding depth.

Playoffs:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen (great checking line)
Torres-Lapierre-Glass (I love the look of this line)

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

Luongo
Schneider

Have the Canucks ever had so much depth at every position?
This is a great looking lineup, IMO. Especially agree about the 3rd/4th lines.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Blast from the past:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=229335&

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
At the end of the first page:

Quote:
Very happy!!! Lokk at our defensive depth:

Salo-Ohlund
Jovo-Carney
Allen-Weinrich
Baumer-Brown

And Goalie Depth!!!
Now compare that depth(!!!) to today's depth. Sure is a good time to be a Canucks fan.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
OH-LA-LA-LA-LA

So much fail on that thread its unbelievable.

Here's Dolemite's reaction to that 2006 trade deadline:

Quote:
"The Nonis" has acted. All hail "The Nonis"!
The NONIS BABY!

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
AirMinivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
With the Flyers and Wings standing pat for the most part today, I think the Canucks pushed themselves back to the top of the league. Higgins is no Versteeg, but he's on pace for nearly 20 goals with no PP time, something that he may get here. There will be no pressure on him to produce so I see him slowly making his way up the lineup. He could replace Raymond or Samuelsson on the 2nd line if they get into slumps. I'm not too fond of Lapierre, but he's one of those Burrows-like players that you hate unless he's on your team. Nothing wrong with adding depth.

Playoffs:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen (great checking line)
Torres-Lapierre-Glass (I love the look of this line)

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Salo

Luongo
Schneider

Have the Canucks ever had so much depth at every position?
I want to see the lines exactly like this as well.

AirMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
My God.

I was scrolling through there dreading I'd see my username; fortunately, it seems I opted to avoid that one. Nice to see Canucks fans have been saying we have the deepest blueline in the league for the last 5 years.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Solid pickups for the Canucks. Hopefully this means that AV won't be overly reliant on his top 3 lines in the postseason - I'd like to see him keep them fresh and play the 4th line more, maybe at about 10 minutes. The best of this though is that they both have experience and can legitimately play hockey.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
good depth moves by the canucks today...i'm not going to get too excited because in the playoffs it's still going to come down to whether the core members of this team can battle through the various physical and mental challenges that other teams will throw at them

i've never liked lapierre as a player, and while i'm sure he will not become my favourite canuck anytime soon, he should be able to fill the adam burish role on this team and hopefully goad some opposing team top players into taking dumb penalties and getting them off their game

i've also seen many mock lineups putting higgins on the third (or even second) line, but to me he's firmly behind torres, hansen, raymond, and even glass on the depth chart...he's a hard worker and is defensively responsible but is a fairly unremarkable player

what i like about the deals is how low-risk they are...no roster players given up, no 1st or 2nd round picks surrendered, and the players acquired can be let go in the offseason if they don't work out (or even benched in the playoffs if it's a disaster)

Jack Tripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
So do you guys think these acquisitions have plugged up any weaknesses we might have had? Would you have preferred anything else?

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:58 PM
alternate

It really is ridiculous how well Gillis did today. He addressed every hole we had.

4th line C: check
bottom 6 depth: double check
PK depth: double check
grit/sandpaper: check
2nd unit PP help: potential check
top 6 fill-in: check
attitude/troll factor: check

and gave up virtually nothing to do it. two recent UFA signings that weren't in our future plans and two thirds. but not even THIS year's third. jeebus, it's almost not fair.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

I really like Lapierre he will be hell to play against in the playoffs. He does have some skill to, he just doesn't score very much. If i recall he scored some clutch goals for Montreal in the playoffs last year.

I'd say he will be an option in the shootout if the rest of the season too which is nice since we suck at them.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
So do you guys think these acquisitions have plugged up any weaknesses we might have had? Would you have preferred anything else?
I would have preferred a better 4th line centre than Lapierre, like Reasoner, but it's no big deal. The only weakness I see right now is more consistent winger for Kesler, but that was not a possibility this year.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Flames fan here, you guys look scary good. Your bottom six is awesome. Higgins is a work horse. I still hate the Canucks.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Habs fan here. Familiar with both players you acquired today.

Gillis did great.

Laps definitely provides you with a very nice 4th line center. He's perfect for that role.

Higgins is very streaky offensively, but he gives a honest effort, and is a pretty solid all-around depth guy.

IMO, you guys are now the favorites to win the Stanley Cup.
This is very nice to hear - I had a rough idea about both these players but it's always nice to hear from someone who has actually watched them extensively, as opposed to just read off from a stat sheet.

I'm hoping Lappy can reign in a bit of his antics and become the fan favourite I thought he was in Montreal (never understood giving him up for a 5th in the first place)

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
timw33

Boy was it ever the best feeling going into the deadline knowing they didn't have to go out desperately and acquire some stop gap bandaid top 6 forward rental to "fix the offence" or top 4 d-man to fill a gaping hole like in years past.

Ironically, the injuries to our big defenceman have worked completely in our favour and the timelines of those injured lines up perfectly for the playoffs where there is no cap.

We have the chance to ice 6 legitimate top 4 dmen in the playoffs and a forward core with no players with less than 150 NHL games to their name and no journeymen.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:34 PM
David71

gillis is GOD! *bows down* every weakness the canucks have had the past 2 yrs, gillis went out fixed it. even some moves werent working out... bernier/hordichuk etc, he redeemed himself by admitting his mistakes, and tradeded them away to fill other holes in the lineup. Stanley cup here we COME!

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote