HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Post-Trade Deadline Talk

Old
02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
gillis is GOD! *bows down* every weakness the canucks have had the past 2 yrs, gillis went out fixed it. even some moves werent working out... bernier/hordichuk etc, he redeemed himself by admitting his mistakes, and tradeded them away to fill other holes in the lineup. Stanley cup here we COME!
If our defence gets hit hard by injuries during the playoffs again, I'm coming after you.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Amazing thread. I was laughing at the comments only to be horrified to see this gem from myself.

Quote:
Yes. Noronen and Weinrich are solid acquisitions, Carney an awesome one. Brown is a bit unneccessary, but feh. Nonis has actually addressed the holes in our lineup. We didn't give up our first and we didn't give up Bourdon or Schneider. Good deadline day.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
LOL. Fans are calling Carney's addition a "monster acquisition." Hilarious.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
kaczor47

Send a message via MSN to kaczor47
In hindsight, the original assessment of that trade deadline seems way off, sure. I too was very pleased at the time. But let's be honest though, Weinrich and Carney underachieved big time, but they had been playing respectable hockey not long before being acquired (IMO). Who would have predicted such a decline in their play?

kaczor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
A classless player for our classless fans! Perfect fit with Max!

Higgins is a solid pickup as well.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczor47 View Post
In hindsight, the original assessment of that trade deadline seems way off, sure. I too was very pleased at the time. But let's be honest though, Weinrich and Carney underachieved big time, but they had been playing respectable hockey not long before being acquired (IMO). Who would have predicted such a decline in their play?
Wasn't that the yea we lose SpecialEd, Ohlund, and Salonat the same time? Shut happens!

It's funny to see that today we are saying the exact same things we were then...it's like prospects, most fans love their new prospects after the draft...but after enough time to bust the truth is usually significantly worse.

Seems like a solid day, we'll findout in a few months.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
If our defence gets hit hard by injuries during the playoffs again, I'm coming after you.
THEY WONT, they've all had their share of injuries earlier in the season. playoffs NO way no how.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Robert604strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessVillain View Post
A classless player for our classless fans! Perfect fit with Max!

Higgins is a solid pickup as well.

Hmm classless? im pretty sure we dont group mob other teams fans or anything along that line. And if you arnt able to pay attention due to some sort of personal issues we have had players like that before and they have changed into 30 goal scorers or they are shipped out on the next bus.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:15 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert604strom View Post
Hmm classless? im pretty sure we dont group mob other teams fans or anything along that line. And if you arnt able to pay attention due to some sort of personal issues we have had players like that before and they have changed into 30 goal scorers or they are shipped out on the next bus.
It was a joke pal. Don't be so classless.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
The Big Foot

Has opendoor weighed in yet, he was pretty adamant we couldn't add any more than $600K - looks like we added $2.5 million! I had faith in Gilman/Gillis, they have a done a great job this year. If we suffer no more injuries, we'll go into the playoffs with an insane lineup. Way more than what is supposed to be allowed under the cap. Not to mention the depth on the farm in case of injuries (Hodgson, Oreo, Volpatti, Tanev, Sauve, Lack).

Great job!

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
VanEric

That Oilers blogger is going to be pissed.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:20 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Another Habs fan here. Here's my 2 cents on both players :

Higgins
The good : Is a hard worker and usually doesn't take shifts off. He has shown in the past that he can score goals. Is responsible defensively and can play on PK.
The bad : Has a very average shot and will frustrate you with a lot of missed opportunities and his shots directly on the goalie.
The ugly : Used to party hard in Montreal. Hopefully, he matured.

Lapierre
The good : Will get under the opponent skin. Raises his level of play in the playoffs. Good on face-offs + hits a lot.
The bad : Can be invisible for long stretches.
The ugly : He just can't fight without making a fool of himself. He needs to keep his gloves on.

Both are very good, fast skaters. You should like both of them.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessVillain View Post
It was a joke pal. Don't be so classless.
Hah, you'd think that would be obvious given your name and avatar..

Szechwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
That Oilers blogger is going to be pissed.
Which one? Copper & Blue?

From one of his posts about the Canucks & the Trade Deadline posted a few days ago...

Quote:
The cap for next season will likely be slightly more than $60M, but the Canucks have used the strategy of starting the year with injured players to game the system this year, and you can bet their dirty cheating will continue. Even still, I'll use $60M as a loose guideline.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Has opendoor weighed in yet, he was pretty adamant we couldn't add any more than $600K - looks like we added $2.5 million! I had faith in Gilman/Gillis, they have a done a great job this year. If we suffer no more injuries, we'll go into the playoffs with an insane lineup. Way more than what is supposed to be allowed under the cap. Not to mention the depth on the farm in case of injuries (Hodgson, Oreo, Volpatti, Tanev, Sauve, Lack).

Great job!
Honestly, I don't pay attention to the cap breakdowns people do on here. No disrespect to the people who do them but it just doesn't matter what anyody says about the cap situation other than our beloved capologist. There always seems to be a way out of cap ''trouble'' unless you're D. Sutter. And it always seems like there's more space than people think.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
just22
meat and taters

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
gillis is GOD! *bows down* every weakness the canucks have had the past 2 yrs, gillis went out fixed it. even some moves werent working out... bernier/hordichuk etc, he redeemed himself by admitting his mistakes, and tradeded them away to fill other holes in the lineup. Stanley cup here we COME!
Watch us lose in the first round now.

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Which one? Copper & Blue?

From one of his posts about the Canucks & the Trade Deadline posted a few days ago...
LMAO. Typical delusional crap from that guy. I'm imagining Gillis signing up in for that floor hockey tournament Salo played in under a false alias, wearing an Anonymous mask, and slashing away at Salo's ankles and tripping him all over the place just for the sake of cheating the cap.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
just22
meat and taters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i've also seen many mock lineups putting higgins on the third (or even second) line, but to me he's firmly behind torres, hansen, raymond, and even glass on the depth chart...he's a hard worker and is defensively responsible but is a fairly unremarkable player
The thing I like about Higgins is that he's versatile... can play on the 4th, but if (when) Raymond is going through a slump, like now, I wouldn't be opposed of having Chris on the 2nd, 'cause I sure as hell don't want to see Glass there.

And for someone who is said to have stone hands, has more goals than Raymond

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post

Great job!
Actually what I said was they couldn't add much more than they sent out. They added $2.5 million but they sent out over $2 million so there was only a net gain of only about $500K in salary. Not sure I see the issue.

The only thing I misjudged was whether they'd leave room for short term injuries and it appears they didn't. It remains to be seen if that'll work out, as it blew up in Calgary's face a couple of years ago. Right now they don't have a single extra healthy player nor do they have the cap space to call up anyone, so I think we should hold off congratulating Gillis and Gilman until the team actually plays the rest of the year with a full roster.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The only thing I misjudged was whether they'd leave room for short term injuries and it appears they didn't. It remains to be seen if that'll work out, as it blew up in Calgary's face a couple of years ago. Right now they don't have a single extra healthy player nor do they have the cap space to call up anyone, so I think we should hold off congratulating Gillis and Gilman until the team actually plays the rest of the year with a full roster.
The good news is we have 3 players who should be back playing within the next 2 weeks (Higgins, Bieksa, and Sweatt). I would assume this is the case anyways or management is taking a pretty big risk, but they obviously know the status of these guys better then we do.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
UpGoesRupp

Anyone excited that Lappy and Burrows could be killing penalties in the playoffs? That'd be the most tenacious and annoying kill in the league. Maybe not the best...but one of the worst to endure.

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Has anyone noticed our insane depth on the PK?

With today's additions:

Manny-Hansen

Kes-Burr

Lappy-Higgins/Glasser

Raymond-Higgins/Glasser

- 3 Center-Winger combinations; although with the addition of Lappy, it's hard to tell if there will be an improvement in SH FO% because Koivu and Marchant took most of the PK faceoffs for the Ducks.

- Average SH TOI/G: 1:58

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The good news is we have 3 players who should be back playing within the next 2 weeks (Higgins, Bieksa, and Sweatt), which means we can probably send Tanev back down to the Moose, and have a pretty nice situation roster-wise.
Sweatt's likely on LTIR for the rest of the year, and even if the above happened, they still wouldn't have enough room for a call up. Basically Gillis is banking on there not being more than 1 or 2 short term injuries at the same time in the last 6 weeks of the season. I just hope we don't see a goalie get injured, because you must have 2 on the roster; you can't go shorthanded with them.

It's definitely a gamble, but hopefully it pays off. Darryl Sutter took the same gamble and it bit him in the ass; I hope it turns out better this time.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:09 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Another Habs fan here. Here's my 2 cents on both players :

The ugly : Used to party hard in Montreal. Hopefully, he matured.
He was a HUGE partier when he was at Yale. He partied much more than most college kids.

Quote:
Both are very good, fast skaters. You should like both of them.
That's a key to the canucks attack. A bunch of speed that wears the opposition down (I think the good third periods are due to this as well as the twins wearing down defenders). For Higgins the other big thing is the two-way play. IMO you build cup contenders with two-way players not one-dimensional ones (i.e. not great offensive players on some lines and defensive ones on another...you need to be able to play both ends of the rink to some degree).

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:19 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Honestly, I don't pay attention to the cap breakdowns people do on here. No disrespect to the people who do them but it just doesn't matter what anyody says about the cap situation other than our beloved capologist. There always seems to be a way out of cap ''trouble'' unless you're D. Sutter. And it always seems like there's more space than people think.
In fairness, the Canucks are microscopically close to the cap. Under $1,000 per day close. A MINIMUM wage, $500,000 player costs 2.6x that.

Yes, there's always a way to create cap space, and most GMs are doing it without losing assets or taking a loss on them.. But you can't pull rabbits out of a hat forever. It's been said already, but it's a very real possibility that the Canucks could ice a 17 or less man roster shortly.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote