HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eminger or Gilroy

View Poll Results: Who Would You Rather Have As Our 6th D-man
Gilroy 10 9.35%
Eminger 97 90.65%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I haven't watched that many games this year. But I guess I put more stock in +/- ratings than most people.

Can someone explain why Gilroy is +5 and Eminger is -7, if Eminger is so much better? They both play the role of 6th D-man, so it probably isn't that one is covering the top lines & the other isn't.
Eminger did see alot of ice time on the 2nd pair earlier this season, whereas Gilroy has been exclusively a bottom pairing Dman. I don't think I've ever seen him play on a higher pair.

+/- isn't really a stat I put too much faith in anyways. Anyone can see that Eminger is a much more solid Dman at this point. I think most people overlook that Eminger is only a year older than Gilroy as well.

If Eminger is able to get another (cheap) contract with this team, I think he becomes a pretty valuable asset. He is able to sit out stretches and still come off the bench and play well, even on the 2nd pairing. He is everything you want a spare Dman to be, especially when you have alot of younger D that you want to tryout in the lineup.

I do think Gilroy has played better, and I do think he still has upside. I just don't think we're the right team for him to try and grow with. He has already been passed on the depth chart by players at least 3 years younger than him. When you factor in the steep QO he's looking at, I don't see any way he stays here unless he decides to take a pay cut to $1M.

If we do the math, it's simple to see that he doesn't really have a place here long term. Staal (24), Girardi (26), McDonagh (21), and Sauer (23) are all clearly better than Gilroy (26), and either the same age or younger. DelZotto will eventually (in the not too distant future, I think) put it all together and leave Gilory in the dust. Eminger in my mind has pretty much cemented a spot at our 7th if he's willing to sign a reasonable contract. This leaves one possible spot open for Gilroy. However, I have a hard time believing that Slats would leave that lineup without a veteran Dman, ala McCabe or a similar type player. In addition, you have Kundratek, Valentenko, and sooner or later McIlrath all waiting for their chances with the big club.

It just doesn't bode well for Gilroy's future IMO. And it's a shame too, because I think he will eventually be pretty good. We just can't afford to wait until he's 30 for that to happen, especially with our depth at the position.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
mullichicken25

emminger....all day long

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 800
Please scratch Gilroy. I don't care who plays in his spot.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Can we call up Kundratek or Vtank from CT and give one of them a chance to shine? Both were said to be playing better than McD, though McD's skating is better than Vtank's. In camp Vtank looked just as good as McD.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Can we call up Kundratek or Vtank from CT and give one of them a chance to shine? Both were said to be playing better than McD, though McD's skating is better than Vtank's. In camp Vtank looked just as good as McD.
i dont doubt for a second that they've been playing good

but the playoffs and/or playoff push cant be the ideal situation for a rookie defenseman to play his first NHL games

no matter how good of a prospect they might be, id have to imagine the odds of success would be stacked against them at this point in the season

Old
02-28-2011, 11:49 AM
NYRamonte10

I like Eminger at the 6th spot but does he have the endurance to play the more physical hard nose game that comes with tight games at the end of the season? Gilroy has got pretty good endurance and legs.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Gilroy should be gone either today or after this season ends.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Marc Staal

Whoever voted for Gilroy needs to get their head checked.

I'll take a trash can and put it in our zone instead of having soft, useless, no contact Girlroy patrolling the blueline.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Whoever voted for Gilroy needs to get their head checked.
Tortorella votes Gilroy

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2011/02/deadline-day-in-the-nhl

Marc Staal-Dan Girardi
Ryan McDonagh-Michael Sauer
Bryan McCabe-Matt Gilroy
Steve Eminger

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I haven't watched that many games this year. But I guess I put more stock in +/- ratings than most people.

Can someone explain why Gilroy is +5 and Eminger is -7, if Eminger is so much better? They both play the role of 6th D-man, so it probably isn't that one is covering the top lines & the other isn't.
And also this.^

Obviously, Gilroy's game needs further development, but he has one thing you can't teach: great skating speed.

While it's an open question as to whether or not that advantages him normally against other D, those who want to dump him should think twice.

We just traded for McCabe, and supposedly this guy is decent otherwise but can't skate anymore (why his value was so down). If that's true, he should be paired with someone who can haul ass skating backward, just in case.

Of the Ds on the roster, that was MDZ and Gilroy; since MDZ apparently needs the same refresher course Gilroy never really had originally, that leaves only Gilroy.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
mullichicken25

i wish emminger was a bit more offenseive, it would solidify his spot on the team IMO

he's got the wheel s for it, but cant really pull it off unfortunately

Old
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
And also this.^

Obviously, Gilroy's game needs further development, but he has one thing you can't teach: great skating speed.

While it's an open question as to whether or not that advantages him normally against other D, those who want to dump him should think twice.

We just traded for McCabe, and supposedly this guy is decent otherwise but can't skate anymore (why his value was so down). If that's true, he should be paired with someone who can haul ass skating backward, just in case.

Of the Ds on the roster, that was MDZ and Gilroy; since MDZ apparently needs the same refresher course Gilroy never really had originally, that leaves only Gilroy.
Malik led the league in+/- a few years ago. Enough said, you have displayed your hockey prowess.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Eminger is not significantly better than Gilroy right now. In December he was, but not right now. That makes this poll meaningless at the moment. You're getting similar liability with both.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Malik led the league in+/- a few years ago. Enough said, you have displayed your hockey prowess.
I was actually thinking about Malik when I asked the question comparing the +/- ratings of Gilroy (+5) vs. Eminger (-7). Malik was +133 for his career, and had 4 seasons in a row (2 with Vancouver & 2 with the Rangers) where he was among the NHL leaders in +/- ratings. It can't be a coincidence for 4 years in a row on 2 different teams.

We watched Malik imitate a pylon night after night, but perhaps his long reach broke up more scoring chances than we gave hm credit for. Maybe Gilroy's speed puts him in position to defend better than Eminger. If these +/- ratings are as meaningless as we they appear, why do coaches, who break down videos of every game & whose livelihood depends on winning games, continue to put these guys on the ice?

I'm thinking that, despite these players' obvious lack of talent, they have one quality, whether it be reach or speed, that makes up for their other deficiencies.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Gilroy is awful.

When we signed Eminger I said he'd be a good 6th for us. I think he has been, and will continue to be if dumbass Torts ever plays him again.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Draft Guru

I was hoping the Rangers would deal Gilroy at the deadline...either for a draft pick or as part of a larger deal to get a center. He needs to be qualified this summer at 100% of his salary, which is $2.1M this year. I highly doubt the Rangers will do that. If they can't trade him at the draft, I see them not qualifying him. Not with money needed to sign Dubi, Cally, Arty and Sauer, plus hopefully Richards.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I was hoping the Rangers would deal Gilroy at the deadline...either for a draft pick or as part of a larger deal to get a center. He needs to be qualified this summer at 100% of his salary, which is $2.1M this year. I highly doubt the Rangers will do that. If they can't trade him at the draft, I see them not qualifying him. Not with money needed to sign Dubi, Cally, Arty and Sauer, plus hopefully Richards.
If gilroy gets even a one cent raise from the rangers i will flip a ****.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Eminger have been nothing but surprisingly good this season. Not saying he's been all good all the time, but he's been much better than expected!

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:06 AM
howztheglass

How the hell did Gilroy get 8 votes.Everyone was talking how Eminger could crack into the top 4 before MDZ came up and Sauer turned into a top 4 D-man.

I don't re-call anyone thinking the same thing with Gilroy.With the exception of maybe a 10 game stretch Gilroy has been horrible and shouldn't even be playing in the NHL.The Ranger's should have let Gilroy develop in the A but for his contract and potential he was forced to stay up with the big club and has not been the D-man everyone thought he could become.

Whipping boy--yes but with his regression and QO I don't belive he will be back next year.

But no one can say Gilroy has played better then Eminger if they do they are blind.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote