HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Building a Roster for 2011: Step #1. A center

Old
03-01-2011, 01:04 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Vanek - Malkin - Stafford
Hecht - Roy - Boyes
McCormick - Adam - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
Byron
Switch Gerbe for Cody then you got 3 legit "scoring lines" and maybe 4th Line could be molded into the "shut-down line"...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Selanne00008

can I get a list of a few RFA top centers coming up? Either this summer or even next?

Idk where I could find without going through each team... That might be an ideal way to go, all be it maybe dirty. Pluck someone who is up against the cap a bit? Plus they will obviously be young.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:10 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
can I get a list of a few RFA top centers coming up? Either this summer or even next?

Idk where I could find without going through each team... That might be an ideal way to go, all be it maybe dirty. Pluck someone who is up against the cap a bit? Plus they will obviously be young.
I can't see Darcy "poaching"...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Building a Roster 2011's Step 1 looks an awful lot like Step 1 from 2010, 2009, 2008...

and probably what 2012 will look like.

I know good centers are hard to come by, but we're coming up on 5 years with absolutely no meaningful changes up the middle.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Building a Roster 2011's Step 1 looks an awful lot like Step 1 from 2010, 2009, 2008...

and probably what 2012 will look like.

I know good centers are hard to come by, but we're coming up on 5 years with absolutely no meaningful changes up the middle.
They do have one major change for 2011 compared to 2010... Roy's health. Love him, hate him... we don't know for sure that his knee will allow him to recover fully and not be a step slower out there. At his size, he's got to be quick enough to get away from people.

Much will likely depend on who falters in the playoffs this year and teams decide to go in new directions. That may very well open up some targets to trade.

03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Rowley Birkin

Vanek-Top 6 Centre-Pominville (Stafford)
Ennis-Roy-Boyes
Hecht-3rd line Centre-Kassian
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
Gerbe/Adam etc.

No.2 D-Myers
Leopold-Morrisonn (Montador)
Sekera-Weber
Brennan/Gragnani etc.

Miller
Enroth/capable backup

Fill in the blanks yourselves.

For the top 6 centre I've seen some names I like here. I think they are more likely going to end up with more of a 1b/2a type (like Roy) rather than a bona fide No.1 Richards is fantasy talk that I don't see happening. Stastny is the best name I have seen linked but again I doubt it will happen. I would give up a huge amount to get him (talking Stafford + Ennis + Enroth + picks). Mike Ribeiro is probably the most interesting option that I see as realistic (assuming they resign Richards).

For the third line C I am talking a Stoll or a Pahlsson type. Not sure who will be available via UFA Shouldn't be too hard to find someone decent. Even someone like Belanger may be worth a shot on a cheap 1yr contract.

For the top pairing D my first choice would be to throw cash at Ehrhoff, or failing that Pitkanen. Again though, the more likely option is going to be one of the 'second division' type signings that Regier seems to be good at.

Trade wise - I let Connolly, Grier, Niedermayer and obviously Rivet go for nothing. If Montador is resigned then I try to move Morrisonn somewhere - and again I see Butler as the odd man out on D and try to ship him either as part of a package or even on his own for a mid pick/forward prospect.

I'd preferably use Stafford (although maybe Pominville if the deal was right) as the main piece to acquire my centre. Failing that I'd hope that someone offers Staff a big offer sheet so that we get a decent amount of high picks back, and use those assets amongst other things to get that centre.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
nesford2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
So if Pegula wants a contending team in 3 years, I dont think Regeir trades for that #1 center. We would lose assets and prospects that would be needed to contend 3 years from now. Maybe they trade up on the draft and attemp to develop that #1 prospect, or attempt to sign one through FA in one of the next 3 years, what do you guys think?
I think that building through the draft takes more than 3 years and the statement was a cup within 3 years.

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:24 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Isn't Stamkos going to be an RFA? Poach Darcy, poach.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Isn't Stamkos going to be an RFA? Poach Darcy, poach.
I would bet my right testi(only 1 I have to gamble!) that Tampa would match even a max contract offer and all it would do is piss off Yzerman, bad idea...

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They do have one major change for 2011 compared to 2010... Roy's health. Love him, hate him... we don't know for sure that his knee will allow him to recover fully and not be a step slower out there. At his size, he's got to be quick enough to get away from people.

Much will likely depend on who falters in the playoffs this year and teams decide to go in new directions. That may very well open up some targets to trade.
More than likely, Roy is going to have a full summer to recover. I am worried that if it is close to a playoff spot down the stretch he will hurry back and do more damage to the knee.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
More than likely, Roy is going to have a full summer to recover. I am worried that if it is close to a playoff spot down the stretch he will hurry back and do more damage to the knee.
Roy aside, they will have other teams looking to go in new directions in June.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy aside, they will have other teams looking to go in new directions in June.
I agree Chain. There will be teams looking at changing up their rosters, like I said with Stoll. If LA doesn't go on a serious run in the playoffs, or if they are the odd teamout of the tight race, then one would think that they might want a change.

We always read about Lombardi looking to make a big splash, what if he does reel in RIchards this summer, as it is really possible. They'd have to give Schenn a chance, and Stoll could be had. That would take care of our 2b or 3rd line center, plus leadership qualities.

Anyway, I think none of us can predict what is going to happen this summer, which it is why it is so exciting. Pegula is going to do a few things this summer, all of us know it. There is no way in hell that they stand pat this summer.

I said before this deadline, just at least get one player that can help now and for the future, Darcy did that, even if I don't agree about keeping Monty/Connolly, he still did a good job bringing in a top 6 player.

I'd take a long look at Washinton's Laich, as I like his size and he's been putting up points too. Roy might be a little wild card but I want to be optimistic about him. He is a top center in this league, and if a big guy like Laich was brought in to play the 2nd line center position, and especially if a guy like Stoll was #3, we'd have size down the middle except for Roy, which would take all sorts of pressure off him. I'd like it.

I also see it as a possibility of both Laich (UFA) and Stoll (trade). We just need the balls to go do it and change the complexion of the team!

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 50
Quote:
The old Darcy couldn't poach. The new Darcy just might.

If Dubinsky could be grabbed via RFA, what a steal.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Freezerburn

Regier's comments after the deadline passed made it sound like he was trying and will continue to try to get a high-end forward who is under contract for a number of years/significant dollars. If we assume that player is a center based on team need, there aren't that many people who fit that description throughout the league.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!

Quote:
If by poaching you mean an offer sheet, I agree. If you mean trying to "help the other team out" by taking a contract that they can't afford by trading cheaper/younger assets for that contract, I disagree. I can see Darcy doing that.

sabresfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I'd take a long look at Washinton's Laich, as I like his size and he's been putting up points too. Roy might be a little wild card but I want to be optimistic about him. He is a top center in this league, and if a big guy like Laich was brought in to play the 2nd line center position, and especially if a guy like Stoll was #3, we'd have size down the middle except for Roy, which would take all sorts of pressure off him. I'd like it.
I don't understand this.
Everyone keeps saying that Laich is an option, but look at his situation in Washington.
If he was a #2 center (or a good option at center at all), he would have been playing that position all year.
Instead, he has played wing on a line centered by a 20 year old rookie playing on small ice for the first time (consistently, anyways).
Johansson isn't cutting it at #2 just yet, so they went out and obtained a #2 center yesterday (Arnott).
If he cannot win the job from a 20 year old rookie and the organization feels that they need to add a player to play the position instead, I think that tells you that he can't play center well and is not a #2 option.

Anyways, there is really no reason why they would choose to let him go.
He's a good option for them at LW (a position which they don't have much depth at besides Ovechkin), and he's a good leader.

Also, would anyone be interested in a thread that expanded on the idea of roster building for next year?
I made up a full organizational depth chart last night and tables with information on our upcoming free agents and how much money we have committed next season.
I think it'd help people visualize exactly what we need organizationally next year and how much we can spend.
It'd also be useful just to discuss what free agents are available, not only in the NHL, but also CHL, European, and NCAA players, as their seasons are coming to an end soon.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
boots electric

vCash: 50
A ridiculously bold move that Darcy would never make, but could potentially land a first-line center

Miller
Leopold
Insert Player/Prospect Here
3rd Round Pick

for

Statsny
Liles
Conditional Pick

The packages are definitely not exact, but I think there's a solid base there.

The whole thing would be conditional on signing Bryzgalov July 1st, obviously. He's not at the same level Miller is, but he's still very good and would come about a million dollars cheaper than what we're paying Ryan. As much as I like the guy, I just don't think any goalie is worth more than 5,000,000.

Stafford-Statsny-Vanek
Pominville-Roy-Boyes (which will henceforth referred to as the "PBR line")

Approximately 7 mil left to spend after giving Stafford a raise to 4 mil and bringing in a couple fresh bodies on the 3rd line to replace Nieds and Grier...more than enough to try and hit a homerun with one great defender or two tougher minute eaters

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't understand this.
Everyone keeps saying that Laich is an option, but look at his situation in Washington.
If he was a #2 center (or a good option at center at all), he would have been playing that position all year.
Instead, he has played wing on a line centered by a 20 year old rookie playing on small ice for the first time (consistently, anyways).
Johansson isn't cutting it at #2 just yet, so they went out and obtained a #2 center yesterday (Arnott).
If he cannot win the job from a 20 year old rookie and the organization feels that they need to add a player to play the position instead, I think that tells you that he can't play center well and is not a #2 option.

Anyways, there is really no reason why they would choose to let him go.
He's a good option for them at LW (a position which they don't have much depth at besides Ovechkin), and he's a good leader.

Also, would anyone be interested in a thread that expanded on the idea of roster building for next year?
I made up a full organizational depth chart last night and tables with information on our upcoming free agents and how much money we have committed next season.
I think it'd help people visualize exactly what we need organizationally next year and how much we can spend.
It'd also be useful just to discuss what free agents are available, not only in the NHL, but also CHL, European, and NCAA players, as their seasons are coming to an end soon.
Definately jfb!

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
A ridiculously bold move that Darcy would never make, but could potentially land a first-line center

Miller
Leopold
Insert Player/Prospect Here
3rd Round Pick

for

Statsny
Liles
Conditional Pick

The packages are definitely not exact, but I think there's a solid base there.

The whole thing would be conditional on signing Bryzgalov July 1st, obviously. He's not at the same level Miller is, but he's still very good and would come about a million dollars cheaper than what we're paying Ryan. As much as I like the guy, I just don't think any goalie is worth more than 5,000,000.

Stafford-Statsny-Vanek
Pominville-Roy-Boyes (which will henceforth referred to as the "PBR line")

Approximately 7 mil left to spend after giving Stafford a raise to 4 mil and bringing in a couple fresh bodies on the 3rd line to replace Nieds and Grier...more than enough to try and hit a homerun with one great defender or two tougher minute eaters
I would like to make a deal like that but if they are in a 'win within 3 years' mode then Miller won't be moved. I don't see him moving anyway to be honest. Not to mention it would take a lot more to get Stastny and Liles.

Something like

Stafford, Ennis, Enroth, Butler, 1st

That is what it would likely take. And I'd still do it.

Vanek-Stastny-Pominville
Hecht-Roy-Boyes
Gerbe-3rd line C-Kassian
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Liles-Myers
Leopold-Morrisonn/Montador
Sekera-Weber

Miller
Capable backup

Old
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Blitz
WANTED: Top-4 LHD...

I think a healthy Roy is good enough to centre our top line, and the kids in the system can fill most of the holes in our roster next year. So really we just need a #1b/#2 centre.

How about Alex Steen or Patrick Berglund? I know neither one is being actively shopped, however St. Louis has made a pretty bold "rebuild" statement in the last 2 weeks, and these guys are currently #3 & #4 on St. Louis' centre depth chart - perhaps for a high pick/Adam one of Boyes' buddies could come out and play?

I've also always liked Matt Stajan, perhaps he might become expendable to Calgary around draft time?

Weiss could also be available, however I think there is going to be a bidding war on him when Tallon says he's ready to deal... could get expensive.

Or perhaps we could get a guy with a terrible contract + top prospect/high pick (as a sweetener) such as Horcoff. I have said it before - I really don't think Horcoff is as bad as he seems to be - He has just been on a terrible team for years, and has seen his ice time diminish as the youngsters improve... might be worth the gamble since we have the cap space available.

The most likely scenario IMO however, knowing Darcy's tendencies is that Connolly is going to get a 2 year deal at somewhere around 3M-3.5M /yr.

Would love to see something like this though...

1- Vanek-Roy-Stafford
2- Ennis-Steen/Berglund/Stajan/Horcoff-Pominville
3- Hecht-Boyes-Gerbe
4- McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
X- Kassian/Byron/Foligno

1- Leopold-Myers
2- Sekera-Montador
3- Morrisonn-Butler
X- Weber/Gragnani/Brennan

Miller
Enroth
X- Leggio

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Rowley Birkin

The only one of the names you mention I'd be interested in there is Berglund and I'd be amazed if he was anywhere near available.

I'm pretty much resigned to them not getting Richards - and agree that what will actually happen is that they pursue a '1b/2a' type.... but what I'd really like and probably others too is a legit no.1 type. I think they should throw the kitchen sink at getting one - and Stastny fits the bill. Who knows if he's available or not - or even if we have the assets to give up. But believe me this team would look a lot better with a player of his calibre and I'm willing to take losses elsewhere in the roster and prospect chart to do it.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I think the Rangers have serious issues in re-signing RFAs... I'd love to get Boyle, and it wouldn't cost much.

It doesnt solve all problems, but its a step in the right direction.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I really hope we can maintain our depth at RW so Pominville can stay on the checking line with a more dynamic center like Stoll/Bolland/etc. Unfortunately, in order to get that kind of center, we'd prolly have to pass up on Stafford, rendering this whole line of thought useless.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I really hope we can maintain our depth at RW so Pominville can stay on the checking line with a more dynamic center like Stoll/Bolland/etc. Unfortunately, in order to get that kind of center, we'd prolly have to pass up on Stafford, rendering this whole line of thought useless.
Maybe, maybe not. Chicago has the 5th least cap space/roster opening for next year. Guys like Brouwer and Frolik are both RFA's. If they plan to keep both, they'll be very low on cap space. They may be willing to move him if Kruger comes over next season and they feel he's NHL-ready--he currently leads his SEL team in points. Getting Stafford, who may have a higher cap hit than Bolland after this year, wouldn't provide much in the way of cap relief. They may be interested in Luke Adam, a cost-effective solution who can contribute on their roster next year. The question becomes whether Bolland is worth Adam.

LA is in a less perilous spot, but they do have to give Doughty his next deal. They could be in some cap trouble, as well.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yeah, I worded that weirdly. I meant to get the center depth that would allow Pominville to play with the 40/50 point checking pivot, we'd prolly have to give up Stafford. Derp.

Although, if the whole 1st, Adam, Foligno for Spezza rumor is true and actually comes to fruition around the draft, we'd be adding a 1st line center at the cost of zero roster players. That would change things by a lot.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote