HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greatest Need on Draft Day

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 12:03 AM
eyeisnikk

vCash: 500
Greatest Need on Draft Day

Since we have a disappointingly high pick of 13. I thought we do better (but luck is not a sabre characteristic, some would say)

What do you think is our greatest need as an organization?
Also- list our strengths.

Second, do you A) pick the best player available
or
B) choose the best player at the most pressing need

My thoughts are you always pick the best available player because years down the road your needs could change, however, you should always try to address the needs somehow.

My prediction for needs is either defence or a offensive machine. Our defense has been dangeriously thin for years. Esp after trading our only stud Ballard for Drury. But we can always use more scoring and less grit because we already have alot of grit.

BUt i would love to hear from all of you about our strengths, weaknessess and your strategy to correct it.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:25 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
At #13 I'd go BPA because the defense crop seems to be top heavy this year and all the good ones will be gone by the time we pick. 2nd round is definitely time to pick up a Dman because there should be 3-4 good ones left around there. If there's a tie between players though, I'd definitely take a defenseman or a scoring forward over a TypicalSabresForward(TM) because we have enough of them.

Old
07-25-2005, 05:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Never draft soully for need, always draft the best player available.

Needful picks lead to the Denis Tsygurov or Joel Savage wasted picks of previous drafts.

If they have two guys rated equally or nearly so when they get to their position, then yes, I can see them leaning toward a particularly thin position. But the draft is about accumlating talent, not necessarily about fill a need. Thats what trades are for....

07-25-2005, 05:38 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
If you draft for needs in the NHL you are headed for a distaster. You end up reaching for players who likely don't have enough ability.

You draft the best player available, or the player you feel has potential to develop strongly. You can lean a little towards a position but you can't actually draft for a position.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

IMO, it's fairly straight forward.

At 13, add the best player not named Ryan O'Marra that you can.

Overall for the draft, increase size on the blue line.

Add a goalie for organizational depth.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:40 AM
eyeisnikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHomer007
IMO, it's fairly straight forward.

At 13, add the best player not named Ryan O'Marra that you can.

Overall for the draft, increase size on the blue line.

Add a goalie for organizational depth.

Adding a goalie????? I know years down the road we might need one but... really? Well traditional wisdom of buffalo says you should add one every year so i am sure we will but after ryan we've been striking out with goalies something better used trying to get D or O

Old
07-25-2005, 07:43 AM
eyeisnikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88
If you draft for needs in the NHL you are headed for a distaster. You end up reaching for players who likely don't have enough ability.

You draft the best player available, or the player you feel has potential to develop strongly. You can lean a little towards a position but you can't actually draft for a position.

TRUE!!!!! Drafting by need leads to you blowing a 15th overal draft pick on Krivou (sorry for the misspelling) We need a big center so we reached for one when we could have gotten many other better players ex) basically anyone after him

Old
07-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88

I get what you're saying as you shouldn't draft for your NHL teams current needs. But you most certainly can draft need for your prospect pool. Just like the Rangers have enough defensive defenseman but have a need for an offensive defenseman and I'd suggest Lee/Mikkelson/Niskanen for them. BUF has solid goalie prospects in Miller/Noronen so they shouldn't go for Price or Rask at 13. The D crop is pretty weak with just Sekera/Ezhov/Stonkus, while offense has Stafford/Vanek/Pominville/Roy.

If I were BUF I'd take Ryan Parent.

Old
07-25-2005, 08:39 AM
N.Y. Orangeman
Coyotes Fan

vCash: 50
I agree with many of the thoughts on the peril of drafting for need, but I believe the cap era changes may change drafting philosophies a bit.

If you look at all other leagues operating under a cap system, need is a large factor, if not the largest factor, in the draft. While the NHL is a bit different in the time between time drafted and arrival at the NHL, I expect need to play a much larger role in the drafting philosophies of teams as we move into the cap era.

I also believe that the safe, steady pick will also gain value over the project/Kriukov.

Old
07-25-2005, 08:57 AM
ajsonor

I think that the greatest strength of the organization is the offensive depth. It is somewhat misleading though, because besides Vanek, I don't see a homerun threat in the system.

Based on organization needs, I would like the Sabres to take Bourdon or Parent in that order if they are available. But the lack of homerun threat beyond Vanek has me tempted to take a look at Martin Hanzal. If he's still available when we pick, he's the best shot at a big time player in my opinion. I just picture another Hossa/Havlat type pick, where he appears to be under the radar and ranked lower then he deserves.

Closed Thread