HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk III

Old
02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
/thread.

=)

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:41 PM
BernieParent

Does anyone think Holmgren had anything to say to the team after the deadline came and went? I'd like to think he made a statement about not feeling the need to make any additional moves because this is a team that is better than the one that went to the SC Finals, both on paper and in the standings, and if they start playing the [EXPLETIVE]-ing game like they are [EXPLETIVE]-ing capable of, then they have every [EXPLETIVE]-ing reason to [EXPLETIVE]-ing win the [EXPLETIVE]-ing Cup.

[EXPLETIVE]!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Does anyone think Holmgren had anything to say to the team after the deadline came and went? I'd like to think he made a statement about not feeling the need to make any additional moves because this is a team that is better than the one that went to the SC Finals, both on paper and in the standings, and if they start playing the [EXPLETIVE]-ing game like they are [EXPLETIVE]-ing capable of, then they have every [EXPLETIVE]-ing reason to [EXPLETIVE]-ing win the [EXPLETIVE]-ing Cup.

[EXPLETIVE]!

If he didn't, he should have.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
If he didn't, he should have.
You can watch it on video on the Flyers' site. Homer said he told the team that no one would be leaving, it was up to them. Then Lavy ran them through a bag skate. I'm sure they got the message that it's time to ramp up to the playoffs, after a couple months surfing the standings on autopilot.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You can watch it on video on the Flyers' site. Homer said he told the team that no one would be leaving, it was up to them. Then Lavy ran them through a bag skate. I'm sure they got the message that it's time to ramp up to the playoffs, after a couple months surfing the standings on autopilot.

They really have looked on auto pilot with the exception of a few good periods over the last few games. I let myself think flu after the last game because it looked like no one had legs in the third. Dog days of the schedule I guess when you seemingly have nothing to play for over the next 20.

Old
03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
By the time playoffs roll around, I think Luongo is too worn out from starting close to 70 games a season to really keep it up through the playoffs.
Schneider is going to keep getting some starts down the stretch, expect Luongo to end up with maybe 60 games under his belt which is only 13 more starts. Plus Schneider is a nice backup plan for them.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Good. I'm happy with where they are in the standings and all, but it kills me to watch them roll over for lesser teams or just barely scrape by for a win.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
They really have looked on auto pilot with the exception of a few good periods over the last few games. I let myself think flu after the last game because it looked like no one had legs in the third. Dog days of the schedule I guess when you seemingly have nothing to play for over the next 20.
It's only human nature. I can understand it too.

You are part of a team that has a serious chance at a good playoff run. You can't help but look ahead and be part of it.

Esp. if you watched last year as guys like Carter, Leighton, Boucher and Gagne got hurt and had to miss good parts of the end of the season or the playoffs.

In the back of your mind you're thinking, it's only Ottawa, why should I kill myself when we can coast to victory. Once Hartnell scored, they all thought "well, that's it, the Sens will fold" except they didn't.

I used to do it in my men's league. Show up for a game not feeling well, tired from work, and just try to get a good skate in, go through the motions a bit. Don't tweak your knee and save yourself for the playoffs next week.

Not that it's an excuse, and it's not like the players aren't having these conversations themselves or hearing it from the coaches, but it's hard to fake urgency when there really isn't any. I think they'll wake up now and really push.

The next five games will tell. We get the Leafs twice, Sabres and Rangers and Oilers. Four games against teams fighting for their playoff lives. Let's see how it goes, then panic if necessary...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Thanks, Larry. The "official" write-up was a lot more polite than what I was going for, and I'm hoping as well that Holmgren got his point across.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:

You are part of a team that has a serious chance at a good playoff run. You can't help but look ahead and be part of it.

Esp. if you watched last year as guys like Carter, Leighton, Boucher and Gagne got hurt and had to miss good parts of the end of the season or the playoffs.

In the back of your mind you're thinking, it's only Ottawa, why should I kill myself when we can coast to victory. Once Hartnell scored, they all thought "well, that's it, the Sens will fold" except they didn't.

I used to do it in my men's league. Show up for a game not feeling well, tired from work, and just try to get a good skate in, go through the motions a bit. Don't tweak your knee and save yourself for the playoffs next week.

Not that it's an excuse, and it's not like the players aren't having these conversations themselves or hearing it from the coaches, but it's hard to fake urgency when there really isn't any. I think they'll wake up now and really push.

The next five games will tell. We get the Leafs twice, Sabres and Rangers and Oilers. Four games against teams fighting for their playoff lives. Let's see how it goes, then panic if necessary...
Very well said, good post.

Vancouver is 5-5 in their last 10, haven't scored a PP goal in 3 of 4. I wonder if their sky is falling?!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Very well said, good post.

Vancouver is 5-5 in their last 10, haven't scored a PP goal in 3 of 4. I wonder if their sky is falling?!
Not that I disagree with the point you're making, but they also have about 349857349 defensemen injured.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Yeah, great post Larry. The bolded part is the situation in a nutshell, IMO.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

But why does there need to be urgency to play a tight, good-position, offensively aggressive game? These guys are professionals, right? They are professional athletes as well as entertainers (in a generalized sense) playing a sport that they have been living and breathing for about a decade or more each. It's like we wouldn't be surprised if Carter, carrying the puck on a 2-on-1, says to himself, "This is a nothing game. We've got a good lead in the standings. I'll just dump this into the corner and head off the ice."

They don't have to be tossing themselves headfirst in front of point shots -- which Laperriere did in preseason, I'd like to point out -- but is sticking with their D-zone assignment, moving the puck smartly, and putting hard, accurate shots on net too much to ask?

Boston played the Senators tonight. They took a 1-0 lead ... and won 1-0. Imagine that. They played smart, aggressive defense, kept the Senators outside for a good deal of the game, even in the third period, and Rask made tough saves when the Senators actually got the puck through.