HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Red Wings - 02/28/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-01-2011, 01:44 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

vCash: 500
While the game itself was difficult to watch, at least the guys fought back at the very end. If they did that sooner, they might have gotten themselves back in the game. Hopefully that's something to learn and build from.

As for Quick, he had a pretty bad day. While there were some bad bounces, he also let in some bad goals. TM should have pulled him MUCH sooner. It seems that Murray likes to pull goalies after they let six goals in. At that point, the game is pretty much over and it's not really worth it. He needs to pull them earlier when he sees that they are having an off day.

And least I forget, **** those refs.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
yankeeking

i think tonite was the delayed let down we usually get in the first homegame after a long trip, they took their eye off the game with the deadline today and sometimes this happens, and I agree if we do not change up the PP we will lose in the second round when we play a better team, we out hustled them tonite and still really lost by six goals just proves hustle and hard work won't beat hustle and a better game plan

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:20 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
i think tonite was the delayed let down we usually get in the first homegame after a long trip, they took their eye off the game with the deadline today and sometimes this happens, and I agree if we do not change up the PP we will lose in the second round when we play a better team, we out hustled them tonite and still really lost by six goals just proves hustle and hard work won't beat hustle and a better game plan
If we don't change up the PP, there is no second round.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Orenji

Come on, man. We embarrassed Detroit at their house, and they beat us down tonight. We'll face them again next week to get our revenge with our actual line-up.

Just look forward to Penner's debut on Thursday.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:36 AM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Yup - Dustin Penner would have been the difference tonight! This was a nice reality check about how far away this team is. Oiler fans must be looking forward to a top 15 pick courtesy of LA. Lovely.
No room on this boat for those looking to jump ship.

This was a reality check on the meaning of the phrase '**** happens'

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:32 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Knew it would be one of those games when the first 3 by Detroit were bounces and deflections.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

games like this happen (see earlie rgame against Pheonix), the important part is recovering quickly (dont see earlier game against Pheonix)

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

It couldn't have been any worse if everyone on the team (on top of the refs) had their names changed to Murphy...

King RAZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
grncobra76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Well they also don't use 3rd line players like Stoll and Handzus on the PP. I think if we had Williams and JJ instead of those two we would be better to.

If Kompon were in Detroit he would probably be running the PP through Dan Cleary.
That's kind of what I meant. It would be nice and I'm sure someone has mentioned it if we could see some creativity on the PP. Back door plays, instead of bombing the net with slap shots looking for the dirty goal. Yes it works sometimes but when all the other NHL teams know that is what you are going to do, it's time to change it up.
With TM's statements after the Av's game I'm not sure we are going to see a change. Unbelievable that we can see the problem and yet they don't admit it or can't admit it.
Maybe with Penner here they will change it up, but like Herby said why not use Williams and more skilled players with the 1st unit. (maybe to split up the skill?)
I'm glad they showed some life in the end but when there are a handful of teams that can pass you in the standings with just a few games, every game NOW should be dyer.
Vent over.

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... It was a frustrating game to watch last night, for sure.

Quick didn't impress at all. He looked like the goalie he was at the beginning of last season - soft goals allowed, jumpy, feet moving, poor with the puck, too reliant on anticipation. I'm surprised Murray didn't notice what everyone else seemed to see - or if he DID see it, he didn't react, and that's just as bad as not seeing it. Murray has TWO goalies, not one. It's time he cuts out the stupid **** and realizes it.

I have serious doubts about Murray's ability to keep the lines stable after Penner's arrival. It doesn't seem to be a difficult choice; the Smyth-Stoll-Williams line really shouldn't be touched, and Simmonds is starting to heat up - it's a no-brainer, to me, to have him play alongside Penner and Kopitar. Richardson should center the fourth line, and Lewis really shouldn't be out there anymore. I don't see where Lewis offers any redeeming qualities other than "he's a good skater." Craig Johnson was a good skater, too; where did it get him?

I don't know what happened to Stoll's ability to win faceoffs, recently, but he needs to locate that ability - rapidly. Martinez was solid enough, and should have had more time out there last night.

It was a tough night. The Kings can't afford a repeat performance of their last homestand. The team needs to use players that can actually help them win games, and by this time, they should have identified them. They have the talent here. It's time to turn it into results.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
SLang

If they do well Thursday, then that makes this a "good" loss, if there is such a thing. After such prolonged success, maybe it's good for the team to see how a team needs to be coming in at this point of the season and do it right. Maybe a good learning experience for our young team.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

One of the media guys asked TM if this loss was similar to the Flyers 7-4 L, when we were in the midst of that slump. And Murray pretty much said that it's way different because we played the Coyotes right before Philly and we were in the middle of a slump, whereas now we've been playing very well of late and just got demolished by the Wings. Very different. Either way, the most important thing for us is to bounce back on Thursday vs the 'Yotes, it'll show us the character of our team. Oh and it'll be Dustin Penner's debut haha.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... It was a frustrating game to watch last night, for sure.

Quick didn't impress at all. He looked like the goalie he was at the beginning of last season - soft goals allowed, jumpy, feet moving, poor with the puck, too reliant on anticipation. I'm surprised Murray didn't notice what everyone else seemed to see - or if he DID see it, he didn't react, and that's just as bad as not seeing it. Murray has TWO goalies, not one. It's time he cuts out the stupid **** and realizes it.

I have serious doubts about Murray's ability to keep the lines stable after Penner's arrival. It doesn't seem to be a difficult choice; the Smyth-Stoll-Williams line really shouldn't be touched, and Simmonds is starting to heat up - it's a no-brainer, to me, to have him play alongside Penner and Kopitar. Richardson should center the fourth line, and Lewis really shouldn't be out there anymore. I don't see where Lewis offers any redeeming qualities other than "he's a good skater." Craig Johnson was a good skater, too; where did it get him?

I don't know what happened to Stoll's ability to win faceoffs, recently, but he needs to locate that ability - rapidly. Martinez was solid enough, and should have had more time out there last night.

It was a tough night. The Kings can't afford a repeat performance of their last homestand. The team needs to use players that can actually help them win games, and by this time, they should have identified them. They have the talent here. It's time to turn it into results.

Stoll hits funks on the dot every so often.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Just one of those games. Every team has them. There were a few players off and it made the difference. You could tell, just off the first shot practically that it would be one of those nights from Quicker. He just didn't look settled. Again, everyone has one or two of these games. Did I hear Murray in the press conference say that he thought of pulling Quick after the first goal or calling a time out after the first goal? I couldn't hear the question, but he said something like, 'I thought about it after the first goal. I didn't like that first goal at all.' Then he went on about goaltending. Anyway, I think you need to put Quick in net on Thursday just so he can regain confidence/form. He has had a terrible game and period (going back to the 3rd period of the Av game).

Doughty was trying to impress and do too much. He was all over the place but not in a good way. I felt like he chased the puck all night.

I actually think we looked like the better team in the 1st. Too bad we couldn't have gotten more goals spread out instead of all at the end. It would have been a different game IMO. We started to run around like monkeys after the short handed goal to make it 4-1. If it was closer, I don't think you would have seen us crumble like we did.

Nice to see the team try to make it a little less embarrassing. We almost scored a 5th goal with 4 secs left but it squeezed wide of the left post. Too bad.

Obviously, our problems aren't goaltending and defense on any other night. Just have to shake your head and forget all about the game.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Bad game

At least they buried a few pucks in the end.

How sweet would that have been if Smyth buried that goal with like :03 left?

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Just didn't execute. A few players looked caught in the headlights out there. It happens. We destroyed them earlier this season when they couldn't get the puck in the net.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Just didn't execute. A few players looked caught in the headlights out there. It happens. We destroyed them earlier this season when they couldn't get the puck in the net.
Yeah exactly. Kinda reminded me of when the Kings beat them 5-0 but had no business even being in the game.

the Kings actually played pretty well for the first 2/3's of the game until things really fell apart. Two phantom high sticks and some questionable goaltending ignited the craptacular.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:34 AM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
How sweet would that have been if Smyth buried that goal with like :03 left?
It wouldn't. That would have made me even more angry.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

The Kings came out buzzing and the proceeded to pull down their collective pants and take a **** on the ice after the Quick softie and the tip-in. Stoll as abysmal. Smyth missed several open net goals. Just a awful game

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Just have to shake your head and forget all about the game.
Exactly. Although I must admit that I wanted that 5th win in a row over det.

In a side note, and not to place blame on the refs, but when have Kings EVER got obvious bad calls go their way against det? The tip in goal was a good goal, but coulodn't the refs have called it no goal? - like Smyth's "good goal" that was called a bad goal in Ott earlier this year.

The Greene phantom high stick after an awesome check... and there were several "interference" plays by det's D that went uncalled as well.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:02 PM
HeadInjury

In their last 18 games, Detroit has lost 4-1 on four different occasions and 3-0 twice. Every team in the league has bad games.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kings lost because Westgarth was scratched.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It was a good effort at least, a lot of bad bounces and a couple of guys having bad days... Losing in regulation was bound to happen sooner or later... It has been a long time since we had one of hese games, but every team has them, hopefully it stops here and we get back in sync for the Yotes on Thursday. Onto the next game where we welcome to the Kings Dustin Penner! GO KINGS!
just from a wings fan. don't take this game to heart really.Like you said all teams have games like this. I just wish Detroit could play defense half as good as you guys. they kill us fans some nights. but really move on to the next game and go from there.

Hillbillywingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings lost because Westgarth was scratched.

He wasn't dressed for the Islanders either.. hm..

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
He wasn't dressed for the Islanders either.. hm..
Its because when Westgarth is out there, everyone else knows they have to try even harder. Its like our penalty kill being great... put us shorthanded and we shine...