HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why didn't Colorado move Hejduk?

Old
02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
avsman

vCash: 500
Long live the A in the Duke

avsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I'm glad that management and the vast majority of fans understand that treating him right is much more important than getting a few assets at a trade deadline.

Rather have it this way than have a situation like the Sundin one in Toronto where pretty much everyone came out looking bad in the end. Management, the player and the fans.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:37 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Am I the only one who thinks that Colorado still has a lot of young talent on the roster and that despite regressing this year compared to last that they could still make the playoffs next year? The future is still bright in Denver; you don't want to lose all of your veteran presence in the room, especially one with Hejduk's resume.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Colorado still has a lot of young talent on the roster and that despite regressing this year compared to last that they could still make the playoffs next year? The future is still bright in Denver; you don't want to lose all of your veteran presence in the room, especially one with Hejduk's resume.
It depends on health, goaltending and the defense playing up to their potential.

For the forwards we need Mueller and Fleischmann to be healthy. Mueller hasn't played all year and Fleischmann has a pretty serious illness. Who knows if those guys will play again.

For the defense, Quincey has missed pretty much the whole year and we need him to come back strong and play like he did early last season. EJ also needs to keep getting better.

But the major issue is goaltending. They need to find a #1 starter.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Zaphod

For some reason or another, they're attached to the little devil.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:08 AM
TheStranger

I just hope his knees and back hold together long enough for him to see some success again with the team. I hope he doesn't hang on and have his career wind down on a middle of the pack club that doesn't sniff success again while he's around.

Season after next should be the Avs first real crack at success.Duke will be 37. Do it for the duke!

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:06 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
If duke come back next year and foote retires, then hejduk should be the next C.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:42 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Hey Colorodo/Hejduk fans. Can any of you tell me why they didn't move him on the trade deadline?
Theres "Hejduk fans" ???

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:55 AM
JAK

if you are truly loyal to your organization, and wants to help the team out of rebuild.

wouldn't you want to be traded for assets? and then resign in the off season?

keep doing it for a couple years, and you might be able to take one last run at playoffs.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:32 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
if you are truly loyal to your organization, and wants to help the team out of rebuild.

keep doing it for a couple years, and you might be able to take one last run at playoffs.
Because some people actually display loyalty and may like living where they play! There's a much forgotten human element to all the proposals flying around here.

Hejduk has earned the right to stay in Denver, if he so desires.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:41 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:

You open up a can of worms, there with conflict of interest. If it ever got out that someone was traded, and had the interest of his old team at heart, couldn't the new team seek some kind of retribution from the league?

For example, the Avs trade Hejduk to Vancouver with an agreement, unknown to the Canucks, that Hejduk would play sub-par there and sabotage their efforts, and then re-sign with Colorado in the offseason. That's collusion, and I imagine you could get in serious trouble for it.

Now, if you're suggesting such an arrangement without any preconceived agreements. IE: Hejduk gets traded with the intent, unknown to either team, to resign in Colorado, then I think it would just be a matter of principle. The whole point is that Hejduk has never played for another team, and he's never been asked to. He's a guy a lot of our roster looks up to, and it'd be awkward to subtract him from the locker room like that. In essence, you're sending the message that Hejduk is more valuable off the team than on the team.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:21 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Its kind of one of those situations where what he wants goes, and I understand that completely. He has a wife and kids here and all that. On that note, watch for the Hejduk twins circa 2020 or so.

But any way, he could have helped Colorado a lot if we would have dealt him. Would of made sense for everyone. He gets us a draft pick or two, maybe a younger player - and then after this year he comes back to Colorado next year and plays one more year with us and then retires.

Wish it would have gone down, its only 20 games without him - and even if he was going to retire this year he could sign with us just to retire here. Oh well.

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

Quote:

I agree, would be nice to have some things just to rent him but its his decision and I respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
You open up a can of worms, there with conflict of interest. If it ever got out that someone was traded, and had the interest of his old team at heart, couldn't the new team seek some kind of retribution from the league?

For example, the Avs trade Hejduk to Vancouver with an agreement, unknown to the Canucks, that Hejduk would play sub-par there and sabotage their efforts, and then re-sign with Colorado in the offseason. That's collusion, and I imagine you could get in serious trouble for it.

Now, if you're suggesting such an arrangement without any preconceived agreements. IE: Hejduk gets traded with the intent, unknown to either team, to resign in Colorado, then I think it would just be a matter of principle. The whole point is that Hejduk has never played for another team, and he's never been asked to. He's a guy a lot of our roster looks up to, and it'd be awkward to subtract him from the locker room like that. In essence, you're sending the message that Hejduk is more valuable off the team than on the team.
Are you that delusional? You don't think teams are doing that all the time. Rent and then resign in the offseason. There is nothing against it either, which is why teams put conditions that the draft pick will be in the later rounds "if" this, or "if" that.

And that whole sabotage thing is just idiot speak, nor was anything like that ever brought up, by anyone. He said let him go play as a rental FOR A CUP CONTENDER, not to sabotage a cup contender for no reason. The Avs organization wouldn't do that to anyone but the red wings

Old
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Mutual respect between the organization and the player. He gets to retire in Colorado.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Mutual respect between the organization and the player. He gets to retire where he wants.
He would still get to retire an Av regardless, this isn't the reason why.

Its as simple as Milan said "no". Family reasons probably above all else. Done and done

Old
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
He would still get to retire an Av regardless, this isn't the reason why.

Its as simple as Milan said "no". Family reasons probably above all else. Done and done
And sticking around with family is good enough. The guy has a NMC for a reason.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
And sticking around with family is good enough. The guy has a NMC for a reason.
I agree, he's been my favorite player even when we had Sakic and Forsberg. I just wish he would of wanted to make a cup run somewhere else, so we could get some assets for him - and then sign him in the offseason for one more year with us.

I completely respect what he wanted, just wish he would have wanted something else.

Plus I think this means he'll retire this year. He was talking about retiring at the end of last year, but since we played so well and got into the playoffs, and even played decent against the sharks - he thought he would come back and help us get farther in the playoffs this year. That obviously isn't going to happen, so now he will retire after this year. It will be a sad day.

Old
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
I agree, would be nice to have some things just to rent him but its his decision and I respect that.

Are you that delusional? You don't think teams are doing that all the time. Rent and then resign in the offseason. There is nothing against it either, which is why teams put conditions that the draft pick will be in the later rounds "if" this, or "if" that.

And that whole sabotage thing is just idiot speak, nor was anything like that ever brought up, by anyone. He said let him go play as a rental FOR A CUP CONTENDER, not to sabotage a cup contender for no reason. The Avs organization wouldn't do that to anyone but the red wings
Right, in my "idiot speak" I said it was a logical extension of what was proposed. If a team has no issue with trading him with the condition, unknown to the team receiving him that he will be re-signed, deceiving the new organization, then that brings up where the line would be. If it's ethical to go "under the table" and have the player agree to re-sign in the off-season, it's clear he's made his former team a priority above all else. Then it stands to reason to question whether he would ever truly compete for that new team if, during that entire time, he has an agreement with his old team to remain loyal to them. What about games between his new team and his old team? Or, rather, say Colorado is going for the first overall pick. Hejduk and his new team are playing the worst team in the league. There's a major conflict of interest there. Hejduk could sabotage his new team's game so the terrible team wins and therefore advances in the standings and bumps the Avalanche to first overall. If you're proposing that Hejduk goes to a new team while remaining loyal to his old team, that's not an unfair projection to make.

And if it was implied that no agreement would be made, and he would just be traded and then pursued in the offseason, then I say that it's not worth A) The insult to Hejduk in the first place, and B) The risk he re-signs with the new team, or hits free agency and goes elsewhere.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote