HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the recent grinders, agitators...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2011, 06:21 AM
  #26
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballhofflerhuis View Post
Vancouver weakness

-Playing against strong defensive teams, Sedins and Kesler seems to get frustrated rather easily against tight checking teams like Boston, Nashville, St.Louis, LA, NYR, Montreal, Minny.

-Playing against big forwards, Canucks defense just get man handle easily by Boston, LA, SJ, Anaheim.

If Vancouver play any of those western teams in round 1 without Edler, I would be very concern.
I agree completely with none of this. I think it's valid to say the Sedins and Kesler frustrate tight checking teams.

I think team defense and their ability to work cohesively is the biggest challenge. I think when all the players are there "on paper" then it call comes down to effort and chemistry to make it all work.

I also think that the type of defense the Canucks have (balanced and not top heavy) will call for the forwards to work more in unison with the D.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:10 AM
  #27
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!
 
Nine to Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,602
vCash: 500
Let's not forget penalty calls go down and although our ES is decent, we've still been more reliant on our PP, as in previous years.

As history has shown us thus far, tight checking games (or teams) with limited PP opportunities has not been friendly to the sedins and kesler.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
  #28
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,663
vCash: 500
Luck. Health. Top players not getting shut down. Role players relieving pressure by chipping in.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:03 AM
  #29
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,292
vCash: 500
1) Injuries - This goes without saying. If we lose Salo, Edler, and Kesler in the 1st round it's hard to imagine going much past the 2nd.

2) Sedins and Kesler slumping or getting shut down at the same time - The good thing here is I don't see any Western teams that I feel could shut down the Sedins. They've been too consistant with putting up points, and with our PP we should be ok here. Kesler on the other hand, I could see him cooling down offensively. Hopefully Sameuslsson can pick it up if that occurs, he was a beast last year.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
  #30
Cocoa Crisp
Registered User
 
Cocoa Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 500
The only issue not addressed - mainly due to feasability with the cap - is a physical top6 winger to play with Kes. Everything else on paper looks really solid. I love that we have a bunch of interchangeable wingers in Higgins, Raymond, Torres and Samuelsson who AV can shuttle up and down the bottom 9. With Sammy, he can pretty much play all four lines. It's this versatility that could be key if and when we play the elite teams: Detroit, Boston, Philly. To beat teams like that, you'll need to be able to roll 4 lines with confidence. Where we may have a decided advantage over Boston and Detroit (but not Philly) is that we can also roll all 3 defense pairings and have them all hover around 20 minutes.

Ultimately, it'll come down to how the team comes together with everything on the line. That's the scary part because it's really a roll of the dice if they do or don't.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
  #31
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 50
I want to see the team play with the new guys in the line-up before anointing them.

They've built a frankenduck in Anahiem. I don't want to see them in round one.

I'm a little puzzled by Lapierre's aquisition. Canucks looked good against Boston. If they have a guy yapping would it have been as close?

I wanted a different skill set added. Whatever. There are more than one ways to skin the cat.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
  #32
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I want to see the team play with the new guys in the line-up before anointing them.

They've built a frankenduck in Anahiem. I don't want to see them in round one.

I'm a little puzzled by Lapierre's aquisition. Canucks looked good against Boston. If they have a guy yapping would it have been as close?

I wanted a different skill set added. Whatever. There are more than one ways to skin the cat.

Yeah anaheim is going to play a very abrasive style.

Regarding laperierre. IIRC, laperriere has a history with lucic. Maybe he could have distracted Lucic?

Hard to say now, but if he can agitate and minimize penalties it should mostly be positives.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
  #33
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I think I just realized why we never win.

Canucks fans just love jinxing their own team.
That's of course if you're weak minded and you believe in superstitions. Ha, just teasing you.

But superstitions are silly and are just obsessive compulsive behaviour that in no way effect the outcome of a team's performance. The team will win or lose despite what we think, say, or do. Only way superstition can affect a person for bad in a game, is they are a part of it, and allow the superstition part get in away of their "just play and have fun" mentality.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:59 AM
  #34
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Unsung Heroes.
I think what will make the Canucks so difficult to stop is just the sheer number of guys that can put the puck in the net. Not only does Vancouver have the elite talent at the top of their roster they now have with the additions of Higgins and Lapierre 11 forwards that could realistically score 15 goals a year, not to mention 6 dmen that can shoot the puck and are capable of scoring in the double digits. IMO having 17 of your 18 skaters capable of making plays and putting the puck in the net at any time gives the Canucks the goalscoring depth you need when you face off against elite teams and the top players on both sides somewhat cancel one another out.

Tanner Glass is the only guy in the starting lineup that can't put the puck in the net. IMO that is huge. And it wouldn't even be out of the realm of possibility for Glass to chip in with a goal or 2 as well...

It'll come down to health and luck but the goalscoring depth should be enough to overcome a fair share of adversity. Having a strong PK also limits the effects of bad luck, bad officiating and pucks over the glass.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
  #35
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Edler looking as horrible as Salo when he returns from his surgery is a big concern.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
  #36
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Too many of you are giving luck way too much weight. Luck matters more in one or two game playoff series. Over seven games though? Maybe with a clump of injuires but otherwise its about the players and coaching.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
  #37
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Edler looking as horrible as Salo when he returns from his surgery is a big concern.
Salo has been excellent. He's had 1 bad game in 8...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
  #38
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I think what will make the Canucks so difficult to stop is just the sheer number of guys that can put the puck in the net. Not only does Vancouver have the elite talent at the top of their roster they now have with the additions of Higgins and Lapierre 11 forwards that could realistically score 15 goals a year, not to mention 6 dmen that can shoot the puck and are capable of scoring in the double digits. IMO having 17 of your 18 skaters capable of making plays and putting the puck in the net at any time gives the Canucks the goalscoring depth you need when you face off against elite teams and the top players on both sides somewhat cancel one another out.

Tanner Glass is the only guy in the starting lineup that can't put the puck in the net. IMO that is huge. And it wouldn't even be out of the realm of possibility for Glass to chip in with a goal or 2 as well...

It'll come down to health and luck but the goalscoring depth should be enough to overcome a fair share of adversity. Having a strong PK also limits the effects of bad luck, bad officiating and pucks over the glass.
I agree....but the same could be said about Detroit, Boston, Washington, San Jose, LA and Phillie to varying degrees. Vancouver probably has the most scoring depth when you factor in scoring from the back end, but I wouldn't consider us a favourite over Detroit, Boston or Phillie. Others we should beat (but could lose for any number of reason), and against those, it'll come down to health and luck.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
  #39
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 1580
I can see inconsistency in the top 6 and injuries as being our number one concerns going into the playoffs. The core has also not proven much in the playoffs yet so I hope they get their act together.

I'd also speculate drawing a large and physical group in one of the early rounds to be our downfall as well. The Canucks don't seem to match up well against those types of teams and I think if we do actually beat a team like this we'd be too battered to make a deep run.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
  #40
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Salo has been excellent. He's had 1 bad game in 8...
I strongly disagree. He's often left sucking wind and not moving his feet. He's smart enough not to get himself in too much trouble but it hurts the Canucks transition game.

I have no doubt that he'll be ready by the playoffs but will we be able to wait around a few games for Edler to get back in game shape? What about Bieksa? Will he be the same post-injury? He usually isn't. Can our other defensemen stay healthy in the meantime?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
  #41
Moobles
Registered User
 
Moobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Our top-six has to get over this mental hump in the playoffs. We don't need the Sedins, Kesler and the bottom-six to produce every night. The story of the Stanley Cup is written by the whole team- Bollands and Talbots to the Datsyukian Toewsian ones. What we need though is when one line gets shut down another to turn on. Watching Chicago last year and Pitts the year before their top-sixes were completely quiet some games- it's just that Bolland or Madden would end up scoring in a tight checking game. So it doesn't disturb me when we have an off game. Just not 4 in a row!

We have no glaring weaknesses in our team beyond never having won a cup, a history of losing (and to the rest of the world choking) and a penchant to apocalpytisize every move our team makes . It's all up to them now.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
  #42
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
I agree....but the same could be said about Detroit, Boston, Washington, San Jose, LA and Phillie to varying degrees.
Certainly Detroit and Philly. Washington doesn't have the same goalscoring ability from front to back as the Canucks and Boston and Los Angeles lack the high end talent that you sometimes need to lean on.

I don't see another team that has 6 starting dmen that could all realistically score 10 goals a year. That helps take a lot of pressure off the forwards and makes defending so difficult for the opposition.

The Canucks have a ton of guys that can really shoot the puck. I can't recall ever seeing this many shooters in Vancouver...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
  #43
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I strongly disagree. He's often left sucking wind and not moving his feet. He's smart enough not to get himself in too much trouble but it hurts the Canucks transition game.

I have no doubt that he'll be ready by the playoffs but will we be able to wait around a few games for Edler to get back in game shape? What about Bieksa? Will he be the same post-injury? He usually isn't. Can our other defensemen stay healthy in the meantime?
The Canucks have assembled such a strong two-way forward group that it should be enough to get past their 1st rd opponent even while the defense is finding their stride. The Canucks are so strong up the middle and have 4 lines not only capable of playing well in their own zone but able to sustain a lot of pressure in the offensive end, further taking pressure off the defense.

The Canucks were a quick, aggressive forechecking team before they added Higgins and Lapierre. 2 more excellent skaters will just make them that much better at pressuring the puck all over the ice and disrupting the opposition from getting anything going through the neutral zone. I really believe this forward corps is going to be skating teams into submission...

And when there's a breakdown, Luongo is there to help cover them up. He's playing some the best hockey of his career and should just further help insulate any potential struggles of Edler or Bieksa.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
  #44
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Can the Sedins produce in a tight checking series matched up againt a great number 1 shutdown d-man and a really good checking line. Think a combo of Pronger and Richards. They have looked horrible against the Hawks and their Keith/Seabrook/Bolland group.

They have to compete and battle and find a way to come through, and not just one big game but every game. They can't be shut down for 3 games in a row then put up 6 points in one to make the stats look ok.

That is my biggest concern, more than injuries(we have the depth to handle a few) or Luongo(it was a Hawks thing not a playoffs thing look at his career playoff numbers) or anything else.
Elite defenseman are just that for a reason. When you face those types of players, they are simply going to win the majority of the battles. What the Sedins possess is confidence and with that comes consistency; they'll play their game and won't get frustrated easily.

Mr. Intangibles only produced 3pts in the Stanley Cup finals. Not producing as well against elite defenseman shouldn't be a mark against anybody.

I know this mid-season lull has people worried, but I don't see why people should be. It happens like clockwork every season. The Canucks' play will pick up, and have people believing again. What I do see is that the Canucks are having trouble winning against teams that collapse to the front of the net. The point men need to do a better job making plays instead of just shooting at the fray.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
  #45
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Too many of you are giving luck way too much weight. Luck matters more in one or two game playoff series. Over seven games though? Maybe with a clump of injuires but otherwise its about the players and coaching.
That's not true at all. For no team is a seven game stretch necessarily a reflection of their true talent level.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
  #46
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Heck, Crosby had 1 goal and 3 points in the Finals against Detroit where they won the Stanley Cup.

At some point, your best players will be neutralized and you need someone else to step up.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
  #47
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Heck, Crosby had 1 goal and 3 points in the Finals against Detroit where they won the Stanley Cup.

At some point, your best players will be neutralized and you need someone else to step up.
That's why Evgeni Malkin won the Conn Smyth. It was hard for Detroit to shut down two Goliath talents when they were on.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:44 PM
  #48
jammyrft
Registered User
 
jammyrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up North eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
I would really find Oreskovich more effective on the 4th line than tambo, hansen or hodgy. I'm not one for knocking AV or MG because I honestly think they're the best managment team the Nucks have ever had but I think not dressing size/physical play (Oreskovich) over a smaller hansen/tamby is a big mistake.

Glass - Lappy - Oreskovich is the best lineup the Canucks can dress IMO

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:22 PM
  #49
ManoWarrior
Registered User
 
ManoWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
I would really find Oreskovich more effective on the 4th line than tambo, hansen or hodgy. I'm not one for knocking AV or MG because I honestly think they're the best managment team the Nucks have ever had but I think not dressing size/physical play (Oreskovich) over a smaller hansen/tamby is a big mistake.

Glass - Lappy - Oreskovich is the best lineup the Canucks can dress IMO
I agree with the sentiment, but you shouldn't consider Hansen the same as Tambo and Hodgson. Hansen is a very good hitter. He has really increased his physicality this year and he is a much better player than Oreskovich in every other aspect of the game. But ya, if there's a bottom six injury, I'd rather see Oreskovich on the 4th than Tambo or Hodgson. Love his hitting ability.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.