HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Datsyuk the most exciting player you have ever watched play?

Old
03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Austin Wings Fan

vCash: 500
This thread needs more MARK MOWERS

Surely, you all remember this great goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMqH0e2MgzA

Austin Wings Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingman View Post
I'm being 100% serious, that's about all I remember Mark Mowers by.
ditto

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dogkota

I've been watching NHL hockey for about 22 years and the only other players who I can equate to Datsyuk in terms of excitement are Bure and Ovechkin. Datsyuk is the only player in the NHL at the moment who puts me on the edge of my seat every time he has the puck. He creates a chance almost every time he touches the puck and, more often than not, does something spectacular with it. Pavel Bure was the same way. Whenever he picked up the puck you could sense the anticipation and electricity in the crowd. It was the same way with Ovechkin the year he scored 65.

I sometimes find myself wondering what it would be like be a fan of another team when Datsyuk has the puck coming against you. There must be some impending sense of doom whenever he carries the puck across the blueline.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Mark Mowers

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM
probertrules24

I guess it comes down to what excites you as a fan. I love watching Datsyuk and he is unbelievable with what he can do with and without the puck. For me he would be a close second to Bobby. I guess I"m a little biased but I can still waste an entire day watching old youtube clips.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Nicklas Lidstrom

vCash: 50
Nah, but he's pretty exciting. Jagr, Fedorov and Lemieux are more exciting to watch.

edit: Hasek also. Wasn't around for Bobby Orr, but from videos I've seen, he looks very exciting to watch too. I'd pay $100 for an upper bowl seat just to have been able to watch him play once.

Nicklas Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Excitement is pretty subjective, I think a lot of players can be pretty damn exciting when they have a great shift. That Helm PK shift against Chicago two years ago was exciting as all hell.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
What really is most enjoyable about both Pavel and Hank is that they're not only talented but they work extremely hard on the ice. I honestly think Hank isn't nearly as skilled as he appears to be but he makes up for it in work ethic. Datsyuk is extremely creative and smart but what seperates him from the pack is his work ethic. There are some very talented guys in this league but they get lost in the wash if they don't work at it. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a talent wasted on laziness. Fedorov got on my nerves because some times he'd either appear to not work hard enough or his skill and skate was so effortless, that he appeared to be loafing on the ice. Pavel and Hank bring it when they're on the ice and that's the biggest reason I appreciate them as the faces of the franchises along with Nick.
Hank takes it easier in the regular season and steps up in the playoffs = wise use of energy
Fedorov takes it easier in the regular season and steps up in the playoffs = floater

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
I remember the first time I saw him, didn't have centre ice at the time, so I could only watch games that were on CBC for most part, but I thought to myself "Didn't we trade Kozlov" lol

As the game was going on I finally caught a close up on the jersey and saw the name Datsyuk and said "who the phuck is Datsyuk", but was already enamored with things he was doing out on the ice

For me Fedorov in his prime was possibly more complete, I would have said Fedorov is more complete, but the way Datsyuk has been going since the lock out I think an argument can now be made for either one. However, Fedorov in terms of sheer entertainment/excitement doesn't compare to Datsyuk, but like you said that's a taste issue. One thing that I simply love about Datsyuk though, is he always seems to be thinking of new things to do on the ice during the course of the game itself. There was a game this season, where he bounced a loose puck in the air, and an opposing player was approaching him, so he bounced the puck into back into the air and checked the player and tried to retrieve the puck as it landed on the ice. It is rare you see players think of doing stuff like that on the ice 82 games a season, but I swear Pavs does it 82 games a season lol
I remember thinking, "Duck soup?" What? They call him "Duck Soup?"
Back then, the Internet was still pretty young, and places like hockeysfuture were still small. And nobody knew anything about Datsyuk.
We were all thinking Jari Tolsa and Par Backer, Todd Jackson, Tomas Kopecky were our great prospects.

The big debate back then was from the Avs fans trolling our newsgroup, saying Nederost and Vrbata were better prospects than anyone Detroit had.

Considering we had Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall in our stable of prospects, that proved to be wrong.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Wings Fan View Post
This thread needs more MARK MOWERS

Surely, you all remember this great goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMqH0e2MgzA
I saw that game live.
I think Datsyuk got hurt that game.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Datsyuk is one of the more exciting players today. Ovechkin has moments, but he's not as consistently dazzling. Bure, as has been mentioned. I remember Petr Klima being exciting to watch. There were times Klima just took off and you wondered where that was the other 95% of the time he was on the ice. I don't know if I would call them exciting, but guys I really enjoyed watching were Forsberg and Lindros.

In the 80s, it's not a single player, but the Battle of Alberta games were incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Mark Mowers

Is there a hockey jersey in there somewhere?

03-01-2011, 05:34 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Why Fedorov over Datsyuk? As some mentioned, Feds was smooth as glass but Datsyuks defensive capabilities overshadow anything Feds did defensively. In terms of offense, they are both just as gifted. Feds could score a goal when he wanted but Datsyuk can do 3x as much to create a play...
I disagree with the bold. Fedorov was a better defender than Datsyuk is, imo.

Datsyuk is probably more exciting than Fedorov, but I think Fedorov was the better player.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:44 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
, but I think Fedorov was the better player.
I agreed with this, but I'm gradually changing my mind.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I agreed with this, but I'm gradually changing my mind.
Yeah I thought the same even last year, but as time goes on, and Datsyuk keeps doing what he is doing, he is making a very strong case for those who believe he is better defensively and overall as a player, and my opinion it starting to sway as well.

I mean, even defensively its crazy how creative Datsyuk is. I can't think of another player that acts like he is going to hit you when he wants to get the puck from you, and then as he approaches you and you get ready to brace yourself for the hit, he changes gears and stick lifts you all at the same time, then accelerates the other way with the puck and initiates offense.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Datsyuk might be the flashiest guy in the league and is incredible to watch. When he has the puck I'm almost hoping guys like Cleary and Hudler stay out of the way. Excitement-wise, he's up there for sure. Sometimes I wish I could have seen the greats like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr though. I would think guys that have seem them would be more partial to them (although I don't think Gretz was as flashy as the other two, the knowledge that the best player ever is on the ice must get your heart racing).

The only guy in the league today that compares right now, IMO, is Ovy. That's mainly because he can go around you, like Datsyuk, but also through you. I'm partial to superstar power forwards like this. Guys like Lindros and Forsberg (although I remember him as more of a playmaker, he hit the crap out of players too). Also a huge Iginla fan.

Bure and Fedorov will always be in the discussion though. Same with Stevie Y. Despite how he was more of a two way player by the time I understood the game more, he still managed some awesome stuff.

Some guys could be great players but not flashy, and still get you excited because you know they're on the ice and that means something can happen.

Crosby, as much as I dislike him, might be the best player in the world. However, on the ice he isn't flashy. He just gets things done. Not exciting, but you always keep an eye out for him, you know?

r0bert8841 also mentioned Hasek. Hasek was just awesome too. Most goalies have a textbook style so the flashiest thing you'll see is giving some flair to a glove save. Hasek will just stop the puck by any means necessary, including flopping around.

...That was a lot longer than I expected it to be. Oh well, too many memories to make it short I guess.

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Xvash2

Darren McCarty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W93XwUf_W08

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Why Fedorov over Datsyuk? As some mentioned, Feds was smooth as glass but Datsyuks defensive capabilities overshadow anything Feds did defensively. In terms of offense, they are both just as gifted. Feds could score a goal when he wanted but Datsyuk can do 3x as much to create a play...
Come on, Huddy. Scotty Bowman played Feds on defense! Only guy I can think of that was a forward whom you could flip over to D and not worry. He won a couple of Selkes, while winning leading the team, iirc, offensively. I can see the preference for a style between these two, but no way is Datsyuk a better or more complete player.

They're both awesome though.

What I liked about Feds was the smoothness. Everything looked smooth--skating, turning, accelerating, scoring with a wrister, slapshot, from a afar or close, he was simply dangerous no matter where he was on the ice.

It was absurd how talented he was. And I LOVE Datsyuk, so don't even think it's just me being a Feds slappy too.

You guys seriously need to dig up some Feds highlight YT's. He was incredibly exciting to watch. Dats does have him beat on the work ethic side, except in the playoffs. Feds was a monster in the Cup runs.

Quote:
Its also crazy to note DRAPER & Dan Bylsma were drafted before Fedorov and Bure that draft
Yeah, but you gotta remember that Lidstrom was drafted in the 3rd round (or was that the 2nd??)--- the rules were different then with rights to European players, and no one knew if they'd ever see the Russians. They alll had to "escape" from behind the Iron Curtain. No one wanted to use up a top draft pick for a guy you might never see.

Old
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I wonder, we've seen people call out Z for slowing down and not being elite because he isn't scoring 80+ pts and 40+ goals but steps it up in the playoffs... Were people saying Fedorov wasn't elite because he wasn't scoring very much in the regular season?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I wonder, we've seen people call out Z for slowing down and not being elite because he isn't scoring 80+ pts and 40+ goals but steps it up in the playoffs... Were people saying Fedorov wasn't elite because he wasn't scoring very much in the regular season?
Nope. They said he had all the talent in the world, but he didn't have work ethic like good North American boys.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

But he was. Wasn't he the Wings leading scorer for most of that time, or right up there with Stevie and Shanny later. (Too tired to look up the rankings from those days.)

Are you trying to make a case for Zetterberg being in Fedorov's class of player? I personally don't think so because of how Feds got things done--- seemingly without trying at times and still being better than just about everyone on the ice. Z has to work harder and just doesn't have the skating + speed, and certainly not the puck control, or the slap shot.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Another note about Fedorov's production.
People always say that Stevie Y sacrificed his stats for the good of the team, while Fedorov is considered by many to be more selfish.
But notice the year Feds' individual stats came back to earth. What else happened that season?
Feds saw his stats go from the 100-point pace over three years to 60 or 70 points over the next five years. And during those years, the Wings won five cups.

Stevie wasn't the only Red Wing who sacrificed personal stats for the good of the team.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Jussha

Z's coasting in the regular season to me seems much different than Fedorovs, where Z seems to be conserving energy to make sure he is not banged up for the playoffs ideally, whereas Feds seemed to know that even if he coasted he was better than most players anyways so it didn't matter until the playoffs came

Old
03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Another note about Fedorov's production.
People always say that Stevie Y sacrificed his stats for the good of the team, while Fedorov is considered by many to be more selfish.
But notice the year Feds' individual stats came back to earth. What else happened that season?
Feds saw his stats go from the 100-point pace over three years to 60 or 70 points over the next five years. And during those years, the Wings won five cups.

Stevie wasn't the only Red Wing who sacrificed personal stats for the good of the team.
I wish it was 5 cups lol