HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th line

Old
03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Pennertration

vCash: 500
4th line

Curious to know everyone's thoughts on the plans for the 4th line next year (and, to a lesser extent the 3rd line).

Should the Oilers sign free agents/trade to fill the roles (Reasoner, etc)? Use players from this year's edition of the Oilers on the 4th line (Jones, Cogs, Reddox, Fraser, etc)? Or should they promote from within (Lander, Hartikainen, O'Marra, etc)? I guess the last option is a combination of the above (Reasoner, Hartikainen, Jones).

I guess I'm basically wondering if you think guys like Hartikainen and Lander are ready to play in the NHL next year - this might be great for their development, but it also might ensure another lottery pick as we lose games while they're learning.

I also wonder how well some of these prospects might do on the PK and in the faceoff dot, as those are obviously areas that need to be addressed.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
rigger

I'd like to see a line of Jones - Konopka - Reddox or something like that.

I'd like to see Pitlick and Hamilton spend some time in the AHL.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
bone

vCash: 705
They need to dump Fraser (like the guy, don't care about the player much), Jacques and probably one or two of the current Top 9 creating 3-6 spots depending on whether Jones resigns and whether they go another direction with SMac.

They need to target some veterans that can provide supporting roles to our weaknesses and some leadership. Specifically they need toughness, penalty killing, faceoffs, and in a perfect world power play. As such, they need to at least talk to guys like Reasoner, Halpern, and Konopka. If not, look at the next tier of guys who have similar skill sets.

I also think they really need to consider talking to Recchi and paying him whatever it takes if he is interested in any way. He'd probably only need a one or two year contract at his age, and we aren't concerned about our cap for the next two years and he would help so much in terms of teaching the kids the game, teaching them how to win, teaching them how to run a power play.

Fill as many spots as possible with these types of players, leaving at least one spot for a rookie, but definitely not more than 2.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Jones - Lander - Omark
Jacques - Brule - Harktikanen
Reddox - Mac

Pitlick, Hamilton, in the AHL. I think the team keeps Jacques till two of Pitlick, Lander, Van Velde, and Hamilton are ready for the NHL. I have zero problems being a really young team. I would think that next year we hope to finish in the around 20th place, and the following year try for the playoffs. The last year of the ELC the kids are on.

Bolded I wouldn't call soft, and Omark is a weird type of soft, in that when he has the puck it seems he grows 4 inches and 40 pounds.

Whitney - Gilbert
Larsson - Peckham
Smid - Chorney
Vandemere

Try move Foster and Cogliano for prospects who may have fallen out of favour with other teams but still have a shot, guys like Tuebert.

Or if we want to avoid a 3rd lottery selection, we toss Lander into the AHL, and sign someone like Fiddler and Upshall to slot into the 3rd and 4th lines.

Last edited by Valic: 03-01-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Reddox - Fiddler - Jones

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
PRV-Gagner-Hemsky
Upshall-Horcoff-Jones
Brule-Gordan-Dwyer.

More jam, better PK, more physical.

None should cost over $2 million to sign.

03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Agent Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Jones - Lander - Omark
Jacques - Brule - Harktikanen
Reddox - Mac

Pitlick, Hamilton, in the AHL. I think the team keeps Jacques till two of Pitlick, Lander, Van Velde, and Hamilton are ready for the NHL. I have zero problems being a really young team. I would think that next year we hope to finish in the around 20th place, and the following year try for the playoffs. The last year of the ELC the kids are on.

Bolded I wouldn't call soft, and Omark is a weird type of soft, in that when he has the puck it seems he grows 4 inches and 40 pounds.

Whitney - Gilbert
Larsson - Peckham
Smid - Chorney
Vandemere

Try move Foster and Cogliano for prospects who may have fallen out of favour with other teams but still have a shot, guys like Tuebert.
I think it would be wise to bring in veterans that can help educate the youth. Career 3rd and 4th liners that bring it every night will show the skilled guys (Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Pajaarvi) what it takes to earn a pay cheque. I agree its time to move out Cogliano but I'd look to get a roster player in return to address physicality and size. Cogliano for Clarkson. Keep Foster around, he's had a bad season but he could bounce back and be shopped at the deadline for prospect or pick.

Target the Hawks.. Try getting Dave Bolland for the 3rd line.

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
Jones-UFA-Clarkson
Jacques-O'Marra-UFA

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Petry
Peckham-Foster

We have the cap space so I wouldn't mind the Oil overpaying for a veteran 3rd/4th line on a short term deal.

In the AHL you let Marcin, Hamilton, Pitlick, Lander, Larsson, Teubert and Harktikanen play important roles. They should know what it feels like to win before they come up to the big club.

Last edited by Agent Zero: 03-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote