HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/FLA] Chris Higgins for Evan Oberg and a 3rd round pick

Old
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
low risk. can be used up/down the lineup. is tehre a reason why higgins gets traded to 4 teams in less than 2 yrs?
Traded from montreal to NYR in Gomez deal=self-explanatory(for habs fans anyway)
Traded from NYR to Calgary in an Olli jokinen shakeup.=calgary needed change, nyr needed a guy for gaborik.
Signed with florida, traded to you guys in a firesale.

I wish we never got rid of him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Basso

http://multimontreal.com/blog/wp-con...ween-party.jpg

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
VanEric

Good thing SOB isn't still here.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Moobles

The Roxy will be pleased. Finally someone to step in SOB's shoes.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
I can't believe that they traded 3 quality NHL defenders in Wideman, McCabe, and Allen and essentially got two 3rd round picks for the group. Just awful value.

They're talking like they'll spend money in the summer, but good UFAs will sign with contending teams and have little interest in going to a godawful last place team like Florida.

They're going to end up dishing out some brutal contracts to average players just to fill out their roster and reach the cap floor.

That franchise is a total joke right now. Move them somewhere where people will actually give a damn. As a franchise/situation, they're worse than Phoenix, only with a somewhat more stable ownership scenario.
imo you're being a bit harsh. Tallon has shown he can put together a winning team. Like you say, Florida isn't going to be a top destination for UFAs so he's accumulating draft picks. What did I hear, 17 picks last year (or was it 13?) and 10 this year? Pretty tough to bust all those.

As for the return he got for his veteran defence, sure it looks like he didn't get enough, but its a pretty safe bet that he didn't turn down a 2nd rounder to take a 3rd. He got what he could for the assets he had and can put that towards bringing in young talent.

I don't get the Samsonov pick up though, unless it freed up $$$ for the offseason or Talon thought he'd be able to move Samsanov as well.

Agreed it all looks weird on paper, but 20+ picks in two years (and counting) should give Florida a good foundation of home grown talent in the next 2-3 years. Because let's be honest home grown or trades is the only way they'll be getting talent to Florida.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
imo you're being a bit harsh. Tallon has shown he can put together a winning team. Like you say, Florida isn't going to be a top destination for UFAs so he's accumulating draft picks. What did I hear, 17 picks last year (or was it 13?) and 10 this year? Pretty tough to bust all those.

As for the return he got for his veteran defence, sure it looks like he didn't get enough, but its a pretty safe bet that he didn't turn down a 2nd rounder to take a 3rd. He got what he could for the assets he had and can put that towards bringing in young talent.

I don't get the Samsonov pick up though, unless it freed up $$$ for the offseason or Talon thought he'd be able to move Samsanov as well.

Agreed it all looks weird on paper, but 20+ picks in two years (and counting) should give Florida a good foundation of home grown talent in the next 2-3 years. Because let's be honest home grown or trades is the only way they'll be getting talent to Florida.
With their troubles signing free agents they are going to have difficulties getting to the salary cap floor. IMO Dale Tallon isn't a very good GM, he may have built a good portion of the Chicago cup team, but he's also part of the reason why they are struggling right now.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Late to the Higgins acquisition, but my thoughts:

Very astute pick up. This could be the resurgence of a career that has gone of the rails a little bit. I don't want to get too excited, but his career reminds me somewhat of Dan Cleary. Both players have a very good work ethic. Cleary lost his way a little, but rebounded in detroit to become a key cog. Higgins, on the other hand, may have already hit his stride already in Florida, and could improve upon it even further here.

As to the cost: too much. But then again, I'm a strong advocate of keeping picks for the draft.

I hope his injury isn't too bad. Vancouver would need this guy for a deep playoff run. He'll provide a lot of versatility (much like Lapierre).

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Late to the Higgins acquisition, but my thoughts:

Very astute pick up. This could be the resurgence of a career that has gone of the rails a little bit. I don't want to get too excited, but his career reminds me somewhat of Dan Cleary. Both players have a very good work ethic. Cleary lost his way a little, but rebounded in detroit to become a key cog. Higgins, on the other hand, may have already hit his stride already in Florida, and could improve upon it even further here.

As to the cost: too much. But then again, I'm a strong advocate of keeping picks for the draft.

I hope his injury isn't too bad. Vancouver would need this guy for a deep playoff run. He'll provide a lot of versatility (much like Lapierre).
Agree with all of this except for the picks

I think Gillis has brought in enough free college signings that it's okay for him to give up a few picks. He's added Oberg, Volpatti, Tanev, L. Sweatt and that cancels out sending away a pick or two. If Gillis needs a 3rd round pick to pick someone up then He can swing it and I'm not too worried.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Agree with all of this except for the picks

I think Gillis has brought in enough free college signings that it's okay for him to give up a few picks. He's added Oberg, Volpatti, Tanev, L. Sweatt and that cancels out sending away a pick or two. If Gillis needs a 3rd round pick to pick someone up then He can swing it and I'm not too worried.
I agree.

If Gillis wants to recover that 3rd round pick he could easily do so by trading the rights to a guy like Bieksa or Ehrhoff (if they can not come to terms) or by dropping down a spot or two in the first round.

Either way odds are that at best one of those two third round picks were going to pan out for us and that likely wasn't going to happen for another 5 to 7 years. Gillis still has his top two picks and he's got his long shot picks from rounds 4 to 7.

General rule of thumb is that you want at least two NHL players from a draft in order for it to be considered a success and those picks in round 3 likely were going to be in the 80-90 overall range which just makes it less likely that they would have succeed.

Either way it's a relatively small price to pay. There's no gaurantee that whoever would have been selected in that third round would have even panned out for this club and the Canucks management team has done a very decent job with college free agents so I think it's safe to say they'll survive without it.

If I had to guess I would say that somewhere along the line Gillis will end up picking up another early round pick in either 2012 or 2013 to make up for not having a third in those years so it shouldn't be too big of a problem anyways.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Kid_Roll

Gallaghers quote of Higgins being underwhelmed explained:

"Did he sound excited when he was speaking? That's how you tell. Words don't mean much. When one of the tv stations talked to him, it sounded like his dog had died."

Ie he has nothing to base it on whatsoever.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Red

^ Is that for real? Lollllllllllll. Gallagher is off his rocker. Higgins seemed pretty bitter about the situation in Florida (and the eternal rebuild) but was quite obviously excited as soon as he started talking about us.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Gallaghers quote of Higgins being underwhelmed explained:

"Did he sound excited when he was speaking? That's how you tell. Words don't mean much. When one of the tv stations talked to him, it sounded like his dog had died."

Ie he has nothing to base it on whatsoever.
Why did you waste your time reading his imaginary story? If people stop reading/mentioning about him, then the province will have to sack him.

Vancouver_2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 12206
mattsekeres Matthew Sekeres
@GMMikeGillis on Chris Higgins coming to Vancouver from Florida in yesterday's trade: "it's like a get-out-of-jail-free card."

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Tony Gallagher is some sort of personality profiler and gleaned all this from a 30 second sound-bite apparently.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Tony Gallagher is some sort of personality profiler and gleaned all this from a 30 second sound-bite apparently.
He does watch NCIS.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
xtr3m

Gallagher is approaching Eklund levels.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Gallagher is approaching Eklund levels.
Your lack of using more than one 'u' in your statement shows a source of sadness in your life, a sadness that your hockey career never took off. You never should have dated Becky, amirite?

I can read you all like a book.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Basso

Tony G and Ray F are deep down haters of the Nucks, they just have to mask it by the things they say about our players and nag about everything.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post

Again, I don't see it.

It sounds good when you quote the # of picks, but the fact of the matter is that a 3rd rounder has maybe a 20% of ever developing into a regular NHL player. So for 5 3rd-rounders, you'll get maybe 1 decent NHLer 4 or 5 years down the road.

You don't rebuild on a pile of mid-round picks.

Right now, there's no young talent base there. On their roster, they have a couple of promising Russians (and who knows how long they're in NA, when they're on a losing team) along with Ellerby, Matthias, and Jack Skille - 3 guys who project as solid depth players. That's it for under-25 talent.

The guys they took in the draft last year don't look like world-beaters, either. Gudbranson will be a solid defensive defender in the Phillips/Regehr mold, but hardly a game-breaker. They might have had 13 picks, but the rest of that group looks decidedly average.

Right now, that team is in for a long, long painful rebuild, and I don't see the horses there to project them as coming out well on the other end.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Momesso

Yup, Tallon is going to get top 5 picks for the next few years at least, especially if Vokoun bolts (and why wouldn't he?).

That's how they will rebuild.

They won't attact UFAs without overpaying. Quite possible that the Panthers may not be in FLA by the time they can field a playoff lineup again.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Yup, Tallon is going to get top 5 picks for the next few years at least, especially if Vokoun bolts (and why wouldn't he?).

That's how they will rebuild.

They won't attact UFAs without overpaying. Quite possible that the Panthers may not be in FLA by the time they can field a playoff lineup again.
Good FA's didn't want to go to Chicago either before their young players got good. I'm not saying that it's going to work but I think Tallon is banking on being able to groom enough young players to get competitive and then add FA's. If ownership is patient and lets him tank a couple seasons they might get a franchise player or two in the draft.

That's how I would go about rebuilding a team like that. I hope I'd be smart enough not to freak out too early and give a guy like Campbell a contract like that. Hopefully for Florida Tallon learned from that.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Good FA's didn't want to go to Chicago either before their young players got good. I'm not saying that it's going to work but I think Tallon is banking on being able to groom enough young players to get competitive and then add FA's. If ownership is patient and lets him tank a couple seasons they might get a franchise player or two in the draft.

That's how I would go about rebuilding a team like that. I hope I'd be smart enough not to freak out too early and give a guy like Campbell a contract like that. Hopefully for Florida Tallon learned from that.
Having a good team in Florida would be good for hockey especially if Tampa and Florida are strong.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Reign Nateo

Personally I think they're banking on a star in the next couple drafts. Sports don't work in Miami without stars. Tallon gutted the thing and will not try to nab a phenom in the draft. Risky way to do business, but may be the only way to save hockey in Miami.

They have to draft better or they will never get out of that hole. No big-name self-respecting UFA is going to sign there, and the impact UFA list gets shorter all the time. They have had top picks out the ass and missed, looks like Tallon is trying to get into "can't miss" territory.

Glad the Canucks were able to get in on the fire sale.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Tony G and Ray F are deep down haters of the Nucks, they just have to mask it by the things they say about our players and nag about everything.
I don't think so Ferraro just can't hide his feeling due to some sort personal vendetta with Lapierre and Tony G. is not a deep down hater; I would say it's a lot closer to the surface then that...

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Daoust
chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
^ Is that for real? Lollllllllllll. Gallagher is off his rocker. Higgins seemed pretty bitter about the situation in Florida (and the eternal rebuild) but was quite obviously excited as soon as he started talking about us.
You're right.
Remember Luongo's reaction to his trade when he had to relocate to Vancouver? He didn't sound too excited either. Suddenly leaving warm sunny weather, no income tax, and gated private communities to pack up and move the family to a cool rainy Canadian city where everyone knows who you are and you've got a mic or camera shoved in your face every day. Even rich pro athletes aren't crazy about dramatic life changes where they have to start everything all over again.

Daoust is offline   Reply With Quote