HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't you see it? They're coming after us...

Old
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Well it's Nucks or the Wings. Either way your team is probably in trouble.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
I fear Anaheim, not in that they could beat us, but in that they could really rough us up for the next round. I'm very much hoping they play Detroit in the 1st.
I agree, I want nothing to do with the Ducks in the first round, not because I'm afraid of losing but rather because I'm afraid of injuries.

That said I don't really agree with the theme of the thread.

We struggled with Chicago because they had big forwards, and puck moving defenseman, and highly skilled forwards, and players who matched up well with the Sedins defensively.

That is what it takes to beat Vancouver. You need a group of players to match up against the Sedins defensively. You need an excellent transition game. You need players with enough offensive flare to score despite our excellent defensive coverage. You need big power forwards who can crown Luongo and get him off his game.

The only team I see with all of that right now is Detroit.

Just having big power forwards isn't enough.

Dallas was a team loaded with highly skilled power forwards, but we have absolutely destroyed them this season because they don't move the puck very well and they can't contain the Sedins.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Well I do like the addition of lapperiere.

But realistically in the top 6 only ryan kesler is able to get to the net. Samuelsson is more of a mid-range player. He seldom scores goals around the crease.

Burrows tries but for some reason looks like he weighs 50 lbs. I mean burrows get swatted away from the front of the net like nothing.
And yet he still manages to be an elite goal scorer at even strength with the vast majority of his goals coming from 10 feet or less.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I agree, I want nothing to do with the Ducks in the first round, not because I'm afraid of losing but rather because I'm afraid of injuries.

That said I don't really agree with the theme of the thread.

We struggled with Chicago because they had big forwards, and puck moving defenseman, and highly skilled forwards, and players who matched up well with the Sedins defensively.

That is what it takes to beat Vancouver. You need a group of players to match up against the Sedins defensively. You need an excellent transition game. You need players with enough offensive flare to score despite our excellent defensive coverage. You need big power forwards who can crown Luongo and get him off his game.

The only team I see with all of that right now is Detroit.

Just having big power forwards isn't enough.

Dallas was a team loaded with highly skilled power forwards, but we have absolutely destroyed them this season because they don't move the puck very well and they can't contain the Sedins.
The theme of my thread was that these teams were TRYING to compete with us, not that they were going to be successful. Its fairly obvious that other teams in the West have constructed their teams with the Canucks in mind.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
And yet he still manages to be an elite goal scorer at even strength with the vast majority of his goals coming from 10 feet or less.
Yeah, it really is a strange phenomenon how much the mix of the Canucks forwards gets called into question. I count 9 guys that can crash and bang and cause trouble down low and in front of the opposing net with 2 more that could be back to back Art Ross winners and the final guy is probably the league's fastest skater.

The Canucks forwards are extremely quick from top to bottom, are excellent on the forecheck, consistently disrupt the opposition with backpressure, are effective on the PP, dominant in the faceoff circle, kill penalties with applomb and are consistent to boot.

If the speed and tenacity of Kesler, Burrows, Samuelsson, Torres, Hansen, Malhotra, Glass, Lapierre and Higgins can't wear down opposing dmen over a 7 game series, nobody can. There are bigger, more physical forward groups out there but it takes more than size to wear out the opposition.

Man I hope we get to face some big, slow teams in the playoffs. The Canucks will exploit them.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
The theme of my thread was that these teams were TRYING to compete with us, not that they were going to be successful. Its fairly obvious that other teams in the West have constructed their teams with the Canucks in mind.

I don't think it's obvious at all.

And I don't agree that the best way to beat the Canucks is to load up on "big" forwards.

The best way for a less talented team to beat the Canucks is to find players who can contain the Sedins.

Put resources into a quality goalie, and elite defensive pairing, and a couple of good defensive forwards.

That will get you a much better performance bump against the Canucks then a couple of big forwards will.

Containing the Sedins and sawing off against the rest of our team will net some results. Having a couple of big forwards crowd Luongo, and bump around our incredibly deep defense, won't make any difference if the Sedins are killing you at the other end.

What do you think was the bigger factor in the game against Boston, the size of their first line, or the fact they were able to keep the Twins off the score board?

What do you think our record is in games where the Sedins don't get on the score sheet?

I'm guessing it isn't very good.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:46 PM
silvercanuck

The Canucks have yet to prove themselves as a playoff powerhouse. I highly doubt any team is looking at the Canucks and saying we need to go through them. Especially an 8th place club that is just happy to be there.

If Anaheim was looking to acquire players specifically to match up against the Canucks they sure as heck wouldn't make a trade deadline deal that would better the same club either.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, it really is a strange phenomenon how much the mix of the Canucks forwards gets called into question. I count 9 guys that can crash and bang and cause trouble down low and in front of the opposing net with 2 more that could be back to back Art Ross winners and the final guy is probably the league's fastest skater.
Whats interesting about the Sedins lack of physicality is that fact that despite almost never registering a hit, the Sedins are one of the more taxing combos to play against in the league.

They ran the LA checking line and the DD/Skud defensive pairing ragged in the series against LA. It was clear those players simply did not have the appropriate fitness level to check them over a 7 game series, and they consistently got torched in the 3rd period of games.

Obviously it was a different sorry against Chicago but their top pairing and checking line were probably the best in the conference last year.

Old
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
The Canucks have yet to prove themselves as a playoff powerhouse.
True

Quote:
I highly doubt any team is looking at the Canucks and saying we need to go through them.
Any team in the West that isn't looking to go through us isn't looking at anyone else either.

A team with a comfortable lead on the west, #1-3 in the NHL in many areas despite massive injuries to D. Whether you believe that they are the class of the west or not any team that is serious about the cup has to be be planning on us and probably Det. The chances are teams are going to have to go through Van or Det and possibly both to get to the SCF.

Quote:
Especially an 8th place club that is just happy to be there.
See not planning on anything, meeting anyone or seriously winning cup. So who cares.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote