HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anderson Loves Ottawa..so far

Old
03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Marble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Niemi's cup ring gives an advantage in negotiations.
Also the fact that he's played well for the Sharks for most of the year. Anderson's only played a few games for us and didn't play well in Colorado. They're totally different situations.

Between Gerber and Leclaire, I think that the organization is probably a little nervous around goalies. I wouldn't be surprised at a 2-3 year deal worth $3M-$3.5M per year.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
Also the fact that he's played well for the Sharks for most of the year. Anderson's only played a few games for us and didn't play well in Colorado. They're totally different situations.

Between Gerber and Leclaire, I think that the organization is probably a little nervous around goalies. I wouldn't be surprised at a 2-3 year deal worth $3M-$3.5M per year.
Not sure if/how this affects Anderson re-signing, but Niemi just got 4 years at 3.8 per

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Not sure if/how this affects Anderson re-signing, but Niemi just got 4 years at 3.8 per
That's what they're talking about

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Leachman

It's all been roses so far for him here. His very first game here he does what we've been waiting for a goalie to do for us for so many years: steal a game outright. Leclaire did it in the playoffs last year but for many it was too little too late. This was Anderson's very first game here and his subsequent performances were awesome as well.

His stats cannot be sustained and eventually he'll get a view of the other side of the coin in Ottawa. Let him face the reality of the situation for the remainder of the year then we'll get an idea of how he really feels about staying. He may change his tune when the lynch mob comes calling. We all want the team to lose at this point anyways, let's hope he gets a good taste of that so he can decide he could be happy here or not.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Suiteness

Is he married though? At the end of the day, it's the wives who end up making these decisions, not the players. NHL players have their balls in their wives purse.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Is he married though? At the end of the day, it's the wives who end up making these decisions, not the players. NHL players have their balls in their wives purse.
I believe he is, they just had a baby recently if I recall.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Who was pushing him? Budaj?
That comment made me laugh out loud literally

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Why are you always so **** and no sunshine?

Just think for a second about Alfredsson, Phillips, Neil, Spezza, Jason Smith and their wives. Have any of them ever thrown a fit about living in Ottawa? No, in fact the majority of them have settled here and their wives are a driving factor for staying here.

The only thing that's remotely close to a wife driving a player out of this market is with Underwood and Fisher. So long as Craig Anderson isn't married to some other country music superstar, we might be alright.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
The only thing that's remotely close to a wife driving a player out of this market is with Underwood and Fisher. So long as Craig Anderson isn't married to some other country music superstar, we might be alright.
Matt Cullen was another. I remember quite clearly his end of the year interview "I realliy liked it here, I'd love to come back, will have to consult with my wife" soon as I heard this figured he was gone.

It's not an Ottawa specific issue either. Chris Pronger in Edmonton anyone?

All the other guys you listed were established in Ottawa BEFORE they got married. It's a huge difference.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Matt Cullen was another. I remember quite clearly his end of the year interview "I realliy liked it here, I'd love to come back, will have to consult with my wife" soon as I heard this figured he was gone.

All the other guys you listed were established in Ottawa BEFORE they got married. It's a huge difference.
That's a terrible example. You don't think that we had other cap priorities at the time? Volchenkov was going to free agency and our priority was to sign a suitable replacement.

If we actually signed Cullen for 3.5M then there's no way we could have signed a Top 4 Defenseman for 2.5M. The dollars were just not there.

Do you expect me to believe that signing Cullen was at the top of the organization's priorities and would simply let Volchenkov walk without nothing coming back? The way they signed Gonchar 30 seconds after free agency really helps back that up

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
DG

Wow some people are ready to overpay like crazy!

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Marble

Quote:

If I remember right, I don't believe we ever even offered Cullen a contract because we had other priorities.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
damianthesensfan
Alfie!!!

correct me if im wrong, hes played one full season during his hole career. i acutlly missed the last 3 games due to vacation, so i didnt get to see him play. but stats wise hes a guy whos been a backup mostly. he did have a very good season last year. prb a small upgrade from elliot..

damianthesensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Alpostrophe
Cynic In Residence

I say take him for 3 years, MAX, if his cap is is less than Leclaire's was.

Alpostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

As much as i like and respect edmonton i would not say ottawa is in the same league as edmonton in terms of the over all city appeal. Ottawa as much as some don't give it credit for it is a good city and has a real good arts and culture scene over all ottawa is a good city and much more so then some on here give it credit for.

Last edited by wjhl2009fan: 03-01-2011 at 04:26 PM.
wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:36 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
If I remember right, I don't believe we ever even offered Cullen a contract because we had other priorities.
Cullen is from Minnesota. Cullen wanted to play for Minnesota. The end.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote