HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

P E C O: Power Play discussion

Old
03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 965
P E C O: Power Play discussion

Richards gave an abrupt response in an interview during a recent game, too, on the subject of line changes.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...on-power-play/

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. – Winning masks a lot of problems, but even the Flyers being atop the Eastern Conference hasn’t kept the stench of the power play from seeping through lately. They’re converting at a less-than-mediocre 16.7 percent, tied for 22nd in the NHL.

So Peter Laviolette is changing things up – too much so for captain Mike Richards, who said what was missing on the power play was the coaching staff “not being patient enough with it.”

“I think we’re switching a lot of the units up. I think before when we had success we had two units to call by name that five guys hopped over the bench,” Richards said Tuesday. “And I think power play has a lot to do with chemistry on the ice. Obviously you need a shooting mentality, but we have a lot of the same groups that we’ve had success with here before and I think we just need to build that chemistry up so we can make some different plays and know where each other is on the ice. That’s tough to do when you keep switching them up.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-03-2011 at 09:46 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Interesting. I personally hate Richards and Carter together on the PP -- upfront at least. I think they should work with Giroux/Briere and Carter on the left hash for one unit and Leino and Richards on the right side for the other unit. Carter's dangerous when he steps off those boards and walks across.

The thing I don't like is when Carter gets too involved in the PP and starts handling the puck too much. Let somebody like Giroux or Briere do that.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Get rid of Mullen. All the talent in the world on the ice... make it work already. They won't go very far in the PO's if they aren't scoring on the PP. I don't give a **** what anyone says, it's going to be a fact.

I agree with Rich - keep the lines the same, work with those lines.... switching too often wouldn't help the confidence of the guys out there, that's for sure.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Get rid of Mullen. All the talent in the world on the ice... make it work already. They won't go very far in the PO's if they aren't scoring on the PP. I don't give a **** what anyone says, it's going to be a fact.

I agree with Rich - keep the lines the same, work with those lines.... switching too often wouldn't help the confidence of the guys out there, that's for sure.
This is Mullen's 4th year in Philly.

Under him the PP has finished the year 2nd, 6th, 3rd, and is currently struggling. This team has had a great deal of success with Mullen coaching the PP, but suddenly he's terrible? Mullen is a key reason why this team has had any success the last few years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This is Mullen's 4th year in Philly.

Under him the PP has finished the year 2nd, 6th, 3rd, and is currently struggling. This team has had a great deal of success with Mullen coaching the PP, but suddenly he's terrible? Mullen is a key reason why this team has had any success the last few years.
He should be able to make this work, shouldn't he? Something has to change, no? I don't think it's the players.

If Mullen was able to use the players properly this year he would. Apparently it's not working.... who or what do you think is to blame, Jester?

I remember a thread I started WAY back about how horrible the PP has been.... and it's STILL ****. Hmmmm, wonder why?

Old
03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
The difference between 17% and 21% is what, 10 goals? I mean, come on. The power play is ugly right now, but they'll get it figured out. It's a slump.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The difference between 17% and 21% is what, 10 goals? I mean, come on. The power play is ugly right now, but they'll get it figured out. It's a slump.
Are you (Jester included) blind? It's been in a 'slump' all season. It's NOT fine. When we lose a game(s) b/c of t, it's NOT fine.

I hate the word 'fine' it's complacent. They are all complacent out there... it's disgusting.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
He should be able to make this work, shouldn't he? Something has to change, no? I don't think it's the players.

If Mullen was able to use the players properly this year he would. Apparently it's not working.... who or what do you think is to blame, Jester?

I remember a thread I started WAY back about how horrible the PP has been.... and it's STILL ****. Hmmmm, wonder why?
I think their personnel is messed up... and they need to figure that out. I think Carle-Meszaros has been completely ineffective as a tandem along the top, and we need to do away with that. I don't think Giroux and Briere can be on the same PP unit...

But here's the problem... Mullen has coached this team's PP for a number of years now, and they've been EXTREMELY successful. Why are you assuming he's suddenly ineffective as a coach?

Most importantly, I think Richards is right that the PP lacks some identity and they need to get back to sets of 5 players like in previous years. Especially since the two PPs need to operate quite differently dependent on who the point men are.

Quote:
Are you guys (Jester included) blind? It's been in a 'slump' all season. It's NOT fine. When we lose a game(s) b/c of t, it's NOT fine.

I hate the word 'fine' it's complacent. They are all complacent out there... it's disgusting.
That's actually not true at all, they've had a couple of runs where they've been on fire.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Are you (Jester included) blind? It's been in a 'slump' all season. It's NOT fine. When we lose a game(s) b/c of t, it's NOT fine.

They were 3rd in the NHL at one point in November or December, at nearly 22%.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:

You're right.

The team that's near first in the league in spite of their lack of potency on the power play, which has been notably slacking in all areas of the game (PP included) is just complacent.

And therefore we should start firing the coaching staff willy nilly, regardless of how good they've been historically.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
I think their personnel is messed up... and they need to figure that out. I think Carle-Meszaros has been completely ineffective as a tandem along the top, and we need to do away with that. I don't think Giroux and Briere can be on the same PP unit...

But here's the problem... Mullen has coached this team's PP for a number of years now, and they've been EXTREMELY successful. Why are you assuming he's suddenly ineffective as a coach?

Most importantly, I think Richards is right that the PP lacks some identity and they need to get back to sets of 5 players like in previous years. Especially since the two PPs need to operate quite differently dependent on who the point men are.

That's actually not true at all, they've had a couple of runs where they've been on fire.
Completely agree with that. I think I said that before in an earlier post as well. Back to basics, big body in front. I think it should be Mez-Timmo and Prongs-Carle. Which it was (iirc).

I am just frustrated to know that they've been ineffective - I want someones head - but seriously, if they don't get it sorted, it'll be a short PO run.

Sorry Jester, just angry - *hug*

Old
03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
MountainHawk

Might as well start with Lavy. Dude hasn't done anything in 2 months. Useless.

Old
03-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Terence Peterman

I don't understand insisting Pronger and Timonen be together. It never made sense to me. I loved Richards when he worked the point. I also hate seeing Briere and Giroux out there together.

Bill Clement said he liked seeing full lines together for PPs, because it allowed them that 5v5 mentality. I think I understand what he was saying, but I also think it's dumb.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Might as well start with Lavy. Dude hasn't done anything in 2 months. Useless.
Agreed, I think we should start to look for another coach again. No one seems to be able to coach the superstars we have on this team

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I am a fan of changing anything up on the PP. It has sucked all season.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Miss Mess

Just shoot the damn thing - too much passing on the PP.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
BernieParent

I don't mind the passing, but faster puck movement to get the PK chasing, and better looks at the net. They are shooting and passing under pressure.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:05 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Richards and Briere need to be together, then put Giroux and Carter on the other unit. Fill in last 2 spots with 2 of Hartnell, Versteeg, JVR, Leino

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Richards and Briere need to be together, then put Giroux and Carter on the other unit. Fill in last 2 spots with 2 of Hartnell, Versteeg, JVR, Leino
Richards - Versteeg - Briere, looking for Briere set at the post.

Carter - Giroux - JvR, with JvR setting up the screen.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I don't trust my memory implicitly here, but I'm not remembering this at all past maybe the early part of the season. They might've had a good game or two against weak competition, but nothing that stuck out to me as a trend greater than normal variance of distribution.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
They were 3rd in the NHL at one point in November or December, at nearly 22%.
yeah and when it was a top 5 PP people around here were still whining that the PP sucked.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

My only problem with our PP is we set up our 1 timing passer way to far away from the shooter. The pass will travel from end board to end board The goalie can make it to the other post and have time to set up for the shot in the time it takes the shooter to release the shot. We have to set up our shooters like they do Kovalchuck and Stamkos.

And what's up with Mez? The guy snips corners with his wrister, start using it more on the PP instead of your cannon of a slap shot.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:15 AM
healthyscratch

I would have to agree with the inconsistency on the lines. I can't find it now, but it was a similar article I just read a few hours ago on Philly.com. What bothered me was Mullen said with the schedule the way it is, they don't even get to practice the PP too much. Ok, even more reason to keep the same players playing together. I'm not sure how you can expect 5 guys to work a PP that never played, or probably even practiced a PP together. You just think they'll work magic in the middle of a game? Makes zero sense to me.

Quote:
The power-play units looked like this Tuesday: an all-center unit of Richards, Claude Giroux and Jeff Carter, with Chris Pronger and Matt Carle at the points; and Briere centering Scott Hartnell and Ville Leino, with Andrej Meszaros and Kimmo Timonen at the points.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 03-02-2011 at 03:20 AM.
healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:30 AM
CptCannon

PP1: Carter and Hartnell at the goalmouth (screening and occasional drops down to slot for one-timers, Pronger alone on the blueline quarterbacking the whole shizzle. Briere and Richards at the half-boards. Sometimes Carter and Briere could go for their half-boards treadmill.

PP2: Pretty much the same but with different people. JvR and Versteeg up front, Giroux and Meszaros half-boards and Timonen on the blueline.

Some just has to be dropped off the PP and the could be Leino (less points for him, lower upcoming contract) and Zherdev (gotta keep him honest).

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:40 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Briere-Richards-Timonen should be on the same unit

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote