HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber's situation

Old
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
PredsChik

vCash: 500
It wouldn't surprise me if he signed for just 1 year to become a UFA, not because he wants out but to force Poile into showing some of his cards. Rinne and Suter are both up after next year, would you sign for long term knowing that your core might not be there the next year?

Though, to be fair to Poile, he's got around 11 mil sitting in the pressbox with 4 mil being JP... no one expected JP to regress the way he has and most of us were excited when he decided to extend with us, IIRC, it was in the midst of his 16 game goal scoring streak too. Hindsight is 20/20, **** you, Burrows.

I think the pieces are set for a good year next year and the foreseeable future, I hope Weber sees it the same way.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
predfan24

If he wants to sign for one year that would be telling me he is leaning towards wanting out. In that case I would rather trade him this summer and get max value.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if he signed for just 1 year to become a UFA, not because he wants out but to force Poile into showing some of his cards. Rinne and Suter are both up after next year, would you sign for long term knowing that your core might not be there the next year?

Though, to be fair to Poile, he's got around 11 mil sitting in the pressbox with 4 mil being JP... no one expected JP to regress the way he has and most of us were excited when he decided to extend with us, IIRC, it was in the midst of his 16 game goal scoring streak too. Hindsight is 20/20, **** you, Burrows.

I think the pieces are set for a good year next year and the foreseeable future, I hope Weber sees it the same way.
Very true. I'd like to see Poile sit both Weber and Suter down on July 1st and work out a deal for both of them at the same time.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

IMO max value is him lifting the cup in a PREDS jersey

(yes i know you said IF he wants out)

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If Suter isn't extended this summer he'll be gone next.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If Suter isn't extended this summer he'll be gone next.
What makes you say this?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Here is what Weber said: “I want to sign here. I love it in Nashville, I want to stay here, but it’s really not something we should be thinking about right now, we’re in a playoff race and it’s going to go down to the wire.”
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...columbus-game/

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

With a pending top 10 pick in this years draft plus two or possibly tree picks in the 2nd round of next years draft (conditional pick from Dallas).... what would the Devils need to give in order for us to land Suter in New Jersey?

Are you guys looking for a impact player or a mix of young NHL ready prospect + picks?

Thanks

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
With a pending top 10 pick in this years draft plus two or possibly tree picks in the 2nd round of next years draft (conditional pick from Dallas).... what would the Devils need to give in order for us to land Suter in New Jersey?

Are you guys looking for a impact player or a mix of young NHL ready prospect + picks?

Thanks
Impact player, likely in a one-for-one(with minor tweaks) type scenario.

In short, the answer, and you won't like it, is Parise, if we're talking about the Devils.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post

Thanks
Parise (and if it were me having to make the trade, it would take a lot of coaxing and quite a bit of alcohol given my fangirl love and overall hockey fan mancrush for Suter, and even then I don't think I would).

Last edited by PredsChik: 03-01-2011 at 03:51 PM.
PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Parise + E. Gelinas
for
Weber + R. Ellis

Yes, no... maybe

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What makes you say this?
Because next summer he's a UFA and he's going to the highest bidder. I think he likes Nashville and wants to stay here but if there's no extension there's no loyalty from this end. Players want security, if he's forced to risk playing out the season with no extension, his reward is UFA and he's going to demand a bundle on the open market.

If Hamhuis got 4.5, Suter easily gets 6+.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
deanwormer

well, remember one thing when you look at FA contracts - we live in a state with NO income tax. pro sports you get taxed where you play. so, you sign in FL or TN, you play half your games no income tax. you sign in NY, or CA, or CAN, or PA, or IL - big taxes. On a couple million bux that ain't chump change.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
If Parise is signed long term and Suter gives any hint that he doesnt want to stay I'd do that deal this summer in a heartbeat. But if Parise isnt signed past next year and will be a UFA I'd try to extend Suter first and only trade him if he said "no way".

Unless Weber is just a liar he will get a deal done after the season.

I dont think Poile would even offer him a one year deal, other than making a QO to retain his rights.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
glenngineer

Wow. How do people take what Weber has said out of context? I said this is another thread about Weber and I'll say it here again. He is worried about making the playoffs right now. He is the captain of the team. If he starts worrying about his contract and not the team goals, are guys going to follow his lead into battle every night? No. He knows the contract will work itself out once the season is over but as a player and leader of the team, he has one thing on his mind right now and that's winning hockey games so that they can win more games in the playoffs. He is focused on team goals as opposed to his wallet and the guys in the locker room are probably happy that he's talking about the team as opposed to his own individual monetary gain.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
sighthndlady

I hadn't thought about it until now: is Poile comfortable waiting until after July 1 because he can extend Suter then as well as do the new contract with Weber? Will we see a pair of deals come down together?

sighthndlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
I hadn't thought about it until now: is Poile comfortable waiting until after July 1 because he can extend Suter then as well as do the new contract with Weber? Will we see a pair of deals come down together?
And that is also something I have thought of as well. Could very well want to make a huge splash by announcing the signing of both players to long term deals. I'm thinking 8-10 year deals in the range of $6-6.5 million a piece.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If I'm Poile, I offer Suter and Weber identical deals preferably 6.5ish over 8-10 years. Then I sign Rinne to a 4-5 year extension worth 4.5ish. You probably end up spending close to 19-20 million on these three players, but they are without a doubt far and away the best players on this team.

03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If I'm Poile, I offer Suter and Weber identical deals preferably 6.5ish over 8-10 years. Then I sign Rinne to a 4-5 year extension worth 4.5ish. You probably end up spending close to 19-20 million on these three players, but they are without a doubt far and away the best players on this team.
This is what I've been hoping for all season.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Im not certain we can lock Rinne in for 4.5. Im also not sure Poile will want to for that many years. I suspect poile would be more likely to pay 5mil for 3 years.

Goalie is the one position where if a guy you have locked in long term for big money goes sour you are just totally screwed.

Old
03-01-2011, 09:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
If Im Poile I try to get the best deal possible with Weber. Then offer Suter the exact same deal. Cant see Suters agent making the case that he deserves more than Weber

Old
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I was reading an article on tennessean.com (yeah i know, but I don't only read an article here and there). The premise was Weber and Suter reliving their Olympic games where they won gold and silver, respectively. I liked this quote from Weber talking about Suter...

Quote:
"It's weird, because I've known him in ways a lot longer than some of the other guys I played with for two weeks, and during the season we play for the ultimate goal to win the Stanley Cup," Weber said. "I dream of winning Stanley Cups with him and winning championships with him.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...le%20Predators

Old
03-01-2011, 11:53 PM
predfan24

You have to wonder IF the season keeps going the way it's going and we fade into oblivion and struggle to score goals how that will affect Weber. I'm just trying to think of it from his viewpoint. We have a great first 50ish games and expectations are high. Then everything starts going downhill. It isn't a reach to say the frustration level right now has to be high. Weber has already been through years of playing on a team with a struggling offense. If nothing changes before the season is over I'm sure he will be left with a bad taste in his mouth. I know I'd be pissed off if I was him.

You have to wonder if he is going to be asking himself if he wants to spend his prime years with a team that seemingly can't or won't take the next step.

I know if I was Weber and the rest of this season we fade to black while struggling to score goals and in the offseason Poile presented me with a lifetime contract I would laugh in his face.

Old
03-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

If i was him id have a long talk with Poile how he wants an extension but will only feel comfy doing it if he goes out and gets us a dominant scorer, like a Parise kind of player. Not saying Parise but a player with his abilities and consistency.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:58 AM
predfan24

Note to self: Posting and getting involved in the Trade section on the main boards is never a good idea. Next time someone sees me actually posting there please e-slap me. Especially if it has anything to do with Weber.