HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Steckel's acquisition impact Clarkson's future as a Devil?

Old
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
This doesn't have any effect on Clarkson's status. If Clarkson is traded, it will be because his salary is too high, not because Steckel usurped his role.
Agreed. Steckel is a grinder who plays center and can play on the PK. Clarkson is a grinder who plays wing and can play on the PP. I don't think their roles are related at all.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post
This is what I was thinking of and meant when I made the thread.

With the re-signing needs (Parise, the youngsters, Greene, etc.. Moose?), the Devils can't afford to have albatross contracts in Clarkson, even Rolston.

This goes back to the original question -- does the acquisition of a new gritty forward with an even bigger frame with ~$1.5M less than Clarkson's contract mean that Clarkson's days in Jersey may be coming to a close?

If Steckel was gritty, he'd probably still be on the Caps. Despite his size, he's not an overly physical player and rarely initiates contact aside of when battling along the boards or in front of the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Steckel was the Caps MVP up to this point.
lolwut?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Capn Brown

If Steckel can improve his skating the way Brian Boyle did, then his contract is golden.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Steckel has not impacted my thoughts on what to do with Clarkson, mainly because I want him our regardless for cap space. I know he doesn't have as much trade value now, but opening up that space is very valuable in itself.

Clarkson hasn't been the same since Chara broke his foot/ankle last year and he tried to come back too soon from it. I think he might be damaged goods at this point.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote