HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/FLA] Chris Higgins for Evan Oberg and a 3rd round pick

Old
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Late to the Higgins acquisition, but my thoughts:

Very astute pick up. This could be the resurgence of a career that has gone of the rails a little bit. I don't want to get too excited, but his career reminds me somewhat of Dan Cleary. Both players have a very good work ethic. Cleary lost his way a little, but rebounded in detroit to become a key cog. Higgins, on the other hand, may have already hit his stride already in Florida, and could improve upon it even further here.

As to the cost: too much. But then again, I'm a strong advocate of keeping picks for the draft.

I hope his injury isn't too bad. Vancouver would need this guy for a deep playoff run. He'll provide a lot of versatility (much like Lapierre).
1. I believe the Canucks retained all picks in this upcoming draft. (3rd rounders moved for 2012 and 2013).

2. The thought process seems to be the Canucks think they have a bunch of assets they can move later to replace those picks easily. I'd guess Schneider would be one such asset.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
2. The thought process seems to be the Canucks think they have a bunch of assets they can move later to replace those picks easily. I'd guess Schneider would be one such asset.
I don't really care about the justification that we can replace those picks down the line. We traded a couple of measley third round picks to better our chances at winning the cup. That's enough justification for me.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I don't really care about the justification that we can replace those picks down the line. We traded a couple of measley third round picks to better our chances at winning the cup. That's enough justification for me.
That too.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:53 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
That too.
I'm not a big believer that we have to hoard as many draft picks/prospects as we can because we need to continue building up the farm system. Currently, we've got a solid farm system, but more importantly, a relatively young team, with virtually no core players over the age of 30. If there was ever a time that we could afford to trade away draft picks for the next 2-3 seasons to improve the team, now would be it.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote