HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Red Wings - 02/28/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Its because when Westgarth is out there, everyone else knows they have to try even harder. Its like our penalty kill being great... put us shorthanded and we shine...
He's a handicap.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Exactly. Although I must admit that I wanted that 5th win in a row over det.

In a side note, and not to place blame on the refs, but when have Kings EVER got obvious bad calls go their way against det? The tip in goal was a good goal, but coulodn't the refs have called it no goal? - like Smyth's "good goal" that was called a bad goal in Ott earlier this year.

The Greene phantom high stick after an awesome check... and there were several "interference" plays by det's D that went uncalled as well.
Our team doesn't interfere nearly enough...but watching a Detroit game, you'd think every forechecker is the puckcarrier with the way their d and forwards step into people.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
johnjm22

I'm amazed at how positive the posts are in this thread. We've had PGT's after wins that were more negative than this.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm amazed at how positive the posts are in this thread. We've had PGT's after wins that were more negative than this.
I honestly let the wife change the channel after it was 7-1. It was nice to hear they kept going at it and scored a few goals. It's hard to be that negative when the team has been doing so well.

Agree that many of the goals were just lucky bounces and deflections, but Quick wasn't on his game at all.

It's just one of those "what can you do?" kind of games. They deserve a pass from the fans for one game after winning so many, because I think the effort was there.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
They lost two games in regulation over their last 16. Most fans have given them a mulligan.

Everyone expects that they will turn it around on Thursday. If they don't... I'm sure you'll see a more spirited PGT.

They have to get 22 points out of 19 games remaining to make the playoffs with 96 points (they likely only need 95, but I'm playing it safe with tiebreakers factored in). Still very well within reach.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

blek..that is all.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

They were due for a bad game as was Quick. That it happened against a good team makes it slightly more palatable.

I'm over it.

Nothing to do but look forward to Thursday

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Quattro

Quote:
This. I would say 70% of post-win PGT's are negative comments.

Very refreshing indeed.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Anyway, I think you need to put Quick in net on Thursday just so he can regain confidence/form. He has had a terrible game and period (going back to the 3rd period of the Av game).
... Disagree here, because it comes dangerously close to a double standard. If Quick plays well, he gets the next start because he's earned it - yet if he's played poorly, he gets the next start because of worries about his confidence?

Over his last six starts, Bernier's save percentage is .939 (155-165).

Over his last six starts, Quick's save percentage is .890 (138-155).

It's obvious to me who deserves the start on Thursday. And, I'd venture to say that we would have seen this out of Bernier a long time ago, had there been a 1A/1B system in place at the start of the season. Better late than never, though.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Every team has stinkers, what are you gonna do?

On to PHX.......

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

Over his last six starts, Bernier's save percentage is .939 (155-165).

Over his last six starts, Quick's save percentage is .890 (138-155).

It's obvious to me who deserves the start on Thursday.
Only in a world where stats trump common sense.

You're going to include last night's game in Quick's stats for deciding who should start Thursday? Why only go back 6 games? Why not 7 or 17... or all the games this season?

This team goes the way Quick goes. It's a divisional game - the most important this season and you want the backup to start?

Old
03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Only in a world where stats trump common sense.
... You mean facts trumping subjective opinion? Absolutely they do.

Quote:
You're going to include last night's game in Quick's stats for deciding who should start Thursday? Why only go back 6 games? Why not 7 or 17... or all the games this season?
... OK, let's go back to January 1. Quick over the last two months is at .907 (457-504). Bernier is at .918 (180-196).

Quote:
This team goes the way Quick goes.
... LOL, nice. You know better than this. Why would the team bother to trade for Penner, then? Hey, the team just goes where the goalie takes them - so who needs better forwards, right?

Quote:
It's a divisional game - the most important this season and you want the backup to start?
... oh my god THE BACKUP

Yes, I want him to start because he's been playing better. Imagine that, giving players who play better a chance to play more.

Old
03-01-2011, 07:50 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
They lost two games in regulation over their last 16. Most fans have given them a mulligan.

Everyone expects that they will turn it around on Thursday. If they don't... I'm sure you'll see a more spirited PGT.

They have to get 22 points out of 19 games remaining to make the playoffs with 96 points (they likely only need 95, but I'm playing it safe with tiebreakers factored in). Still very well within reach.
We're playing Phoenix. Them and Calgary are two teams I hate playing the most.

Old
03-01-2011, 07:50 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
... You mean facts trumping subjective opinion?
No.. I said stats trumping common sense. Don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-01-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old
03-01-2011, 07:53 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Yes, I want him to start because he's been playing better. Imagine that, giving players who play better a chance to play more.
That's one way of looking at it, and I don't necessarily disagree, but sometimes you have to show faith in your starter and give him a chance to redeem him self next game.

Old
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:

... OK, let's go back to January 1. Quick over the last two months is at .907 (457-504). Bernier is at .918 (180-196).
Does that include last nights fiasco? Cause that 6 goal night will skew the numbers. 445/486 = .916, statistically insignificant from Bernier. Anyone watching the winning streak (esp in Philly) will know JQ has stolen a few games.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Defgarden

I'm fine with starting Bernier. He has been playing well, and I don't want a repeat of last season where Quick was leaned on heavily down the stretch and was probably gassed for the playoffs.

Play Bernier while he's playing well. Give Quick a break. You want your main horse rested for the big show.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Quote:
What about the quality of matchups, though? Specifically, how good are the teams they play against offensively?

Since Jan 1, Bernier has played NAS, EDM, DAL, MIN, WAS, NYR, and MIN (2). These teams are currently 27, 26, 22, 24, 20, 15, and 24th in scoring the NHL. The average ranking of these teams is 22.57th (with 1 being the highest scoring team, 30th being the lowest scoring team).

Since Jan 1, Quick has played SAN, CHI, COB, TOR, STL, STL (2), PHO, PHO (2), BOS, SAN (2), EDM, CGY, PIT, PHI, COB (2), NYI, ANA, COL, and DET. These teams are currently 13, 4, 21, 25, 18, 18, 9, 9, 5, 13, 26, 7, 8, 3, 21, 19, 14, 9, and 1st in the NHL. The average ranking of these teams is 14.29th (1 being the highest scoring team, 30th being lowest).

Since January 1st, Bernier has played only one team in the top half of the league in scoring (NYR); Quick has played twelve (SAN, CHI, PHO, PHO, BOS, SAN, CGY, PIT, PHI, ANA, COL, and DET). I suspect that might account for some of the disparity.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
That's one way of looking at it, and I don't necessarily disagree, but sometimes you have to show faith in your starter and give him a chance to redeem him self next game.
... I'd rather go on a system of merit, and play the goalie who's been hotter over a certain stretch of games. It's not like Quick isn't going to get a chance to redeem himself; I'm not advocating making Bernier the number one here. But I DO think that he's played well enough to start games on more of a regular basis. I don't believe this should be a classic starter/backup arrangement here. Bernier has been groomed to be a number one, he's young enough and skilled enough to develop into a number one, and he's done everything the organization has asked him to do in order to become a number one.

Over the last couple of months, Quick has struggled. It's time to stop acting like there's only one quality goalie on this team. That's what got the team into trouble last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Does that include last nights fiasco? Cause that 6 goal night will skew the numbers. 445/486 = .916, statistically insignificant from Bernier. Anyone watching the winning streak (esp in Philly) will know JQ has stolen a few games.
... Awfully convenient to throw out bad starts, isn't it? I'm sure if you threw out one of Bernier's bad starts over the last couple of months, you'd see a more impressive stat line, wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
What about the quality of matchups, though? Specifically, how good are the teams they play against offensively?
... All Bernier can do is play the games he has the opportunity to play. He doesn't get to choose his opponents.

The next opponent is Phoenix. Quick's performance this season against Phoenix hasn't been very impressive (.835 save percentage, GAA over 4). Bernier has only played about 30 minutes against Phoenix this season, and he saved all 13 shots that he faced. Would it kill the Kings to see if Bernier can continue having success against them?

It's really easy to give one goalie more credit because of "strength of schedule" when the other goalie rarely gets the chance.

Last edited by JT Dutch*: 03-01-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old
03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

Pretty much. Nobody expects them to win every single game remaining. With their current streak, they could afford the loss against Detroit, I don't like it, but they hadn't lost in regulation for so long, that it was kinda due. Though if they end up with the same result against the Yotes... Heads are going to roll

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Shellz

Damn. I had no idea Kopitar was 10th in scoring.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:

... Awfully convenient to throw out bad starts, isn't it? I'm sure if you threw out one of Bernier's bad starts over the last couple of months, you'd see a more impressive stat line, wouldn't you?
You're the one making the case that Bernier has outplayed Quick substantially since Jan 1. I disagree. They have played equally well up until last night. The numbers don't lie

It would be more accurate to say Quick and Bernier played equally well Jan 1 - Feb 27. Bernier played better than Quick on Feb 28.

Last edited by driller1: 03-02-2011 at 12:09 AM.
driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Damn. I had no idea Kopitar was 10th in scoring.
He's quietly having himself a very successful season, he is on pace to almost match last season's point totals. The reason he is doing it quietly is he hasn't been scoring nearly as many goals, but he has already matched his total assist count from last season.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Oh Don't It ****ing Figure !!!!

The One ****ing Game I Get To Go To This Year ... And This Had To Be It ?

Mother **** son-of-a-donkey-ball-sac **** piss **** arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhh !!! I'm still ****ing mad as hell 24 hrs after.

god I ****ING HATE the ****ING god DAMN ****ING **** **** son of a **** god **** Red Wings so ****ing much

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He's quietly having himself a very successful season, he is on pace to almost match last season's point totals. The reason he is doing it quietly is he hasn't been scoring nearly as many goals, but he has already matched his total assist count from last season.
Yep! He's saving his goal scoring till the playoffs anyways

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote