HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky out of gas? or just the same ol?

Old
03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Holdout?

Dubinsky will file for arbitration on July 5 if he is still unsigned. His contract situation will be settled within a month depending upon if the Rangers fail to reach an agreement earlier and when the hearing will held. Hearings run from July 21-August 4. 48 hours to announce the award.

Holdout?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Dubinsky is what he is/what he will be, a very solid second line NHL'er.

We should be pretty happy with that considering he wasnt projected to be much of a scoring threat as a prospect. I dont even know where all this conjecture came from that hes somehow underachieving and should be putting up first line numbers. Its pretty ridiculous.

Then again, its a common misconception around here - overvaluing our younger players.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I don't agree with this. Dubinsky improves his consistency and he is an 80 point player. They way he protects the puck and simultaneously stick handles at time is very impressive. All young players battle with consistency, Dubinsky is no different.
The problem with all that is he's never been an 80 point player at any level.

03-02-2011, 08:54 AM
pwoz

I thought Dubi was supposed to hit 70 points.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:54 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Holdout?

Dubinsky will file for arbitration on July 5 if he is still unsigned. His contract situation will be settled within a month depending upon if the Rangers fail to reach an agreement earlier and when the hearing will held. Hearings run from July 21-August 4. 48 hours to announce the award.

Holdout?
His play this season should justify a pay cut, I know it won't happen and I hope when he does go to arbitration, if it goes that far, Sather lays into him in the hearing and say in order to be a good hockey player, you need show up for more than 40 games a year!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
His play this season should justify a pay cut, I know it won't happen and I hope when he does go to arbitration, if it goes that far, Sather lays into him in the hearing and say in order to be a good hockey player, you need show up for more than 40 games a year!
Contradictory much?

In a way, we should actually be kind of happy that Callahan missed a lot of time with an injury and Dubinsky's stress fracture (which he played with for a month and only missed 5 games) has effected his play. It should drive down their price tags a bit - and lets face reality, this team wasnt really going anywhere anyway if they were 100% healthy all season.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:16 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Contradictory much?

In a way, we should actually be kind of happy that Callahan missed a lot of time with an injury and Dubinsky's stress fracture (which he played with for a month and only missed 5 games) has effected his play. It should drive down their price tags a bit - and lets face reality, this team wasnt really going anywhere anyway if they were 100% healthy all season.
All teams have injuries, not only the Rangers.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Dubinsky's response to that should be, "Yeah, well, you need to show up for more than the last three season's Glen."

If you're going to do that with Dubinksy, you might as well just trade him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Last I checked Dubinsky has the most points on a team that has only one twenty goal scorer (even the Islanders have 3). That has only one player in the top 100 in league-wide scoring (himself). What more do you people want from him? The team collectively sucks offensively. It doesn't help that our $7.5M star has been hurt all year and that the Rangers are the youngest team in the league without a homegrown top 5 pick...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
We need Dubinsky to be one of our top guys. He's playing no where near that. In the beginning of the season he was.

The Stepan line is doing good. Callahan is doing good.
What we need is real top guys, not to continue to try and force players to be what they aren't capable of being.

Dubinsky is a very good second line LW. 50-60, maybe even 65 points in the right situation. Expecting more from him is not wise.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:43 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Dubinsky's response to that should be, "Yeah, well, you need to show up for more than the last three season's Glen."

If you're going to do that with Dubinksy, you might as well just trade him.
He should do that, but it wont change the fact that he has disappeared for the last two months. I would rather him contribute and win games then we all can be Happy.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
He should do that, but it wont change the fact that he has disappeared for the last two months. I would rather him contribute and win games then we all can be Happy.
Ill try to simplify this for you with just 2 points:

1. He had a stress fracture in his leg that he played with for a month, then only missed 5 games.

and most importantly:

2. like the rest of the team, hes not an elite NHL'er, and he wont be just because some fans expect him to be.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dubinsky is what he is/what he will be, a very solid second line NHL'er.

We should be pretty happy with that considering he wasnt projected to be much of a scoring threat as a prospect. I dont even know where all this conjecture came from that hes somehow underachieving and should be putting up first line numbers. Its pretty ridiculous.

Then again, its a common misconception around here - overvaluing our younger players.
The reason that many people think he's underachieving is because they've seen what he is capable of.

I don't care what he was projected to be when we drafted him. The fact of the matter is that Dubinsky has shown he has the ability to be an 80 point scorer.

Earlier this season was not a hot streak. Hot streaks don't last 30-40 games. The real problem is consistency. Not necessarily Dubinsky's consistency, but the team's as well. This is a young team. If Dubinsky was on a line being centered by Richards, I doubt consistency would be an issue for Dubinsky. But Dubinsky isn't centered by Brad Richards, he's centered by Artem Anisimov, the epitome of inconsistency. Not that I blame Anisimov, he's a second year player, but these are the cards we have in our hand.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he's still feeling the effects of the stress fracture he suffered earlier this season.

Even so, if a random lucky stick doesn't get in the way last night, he sets up Callahan for an empty-netter. If he doesn't get hauled down by Sekera, with no penalty I might add, maybe that puck ends up in the net too.

Dubinsky is doing fine. He's generating offensive chances, they just aren't ending up in the back of the net. It's going to happen with a young team that is still learning how to win and bring the same compete level every night. The floater comments are ridiculous. He isn't floating at all.

Fickle fans looking for a scapegoat, and nothing more. We have one of the youngest teams in the NHL. We're lucky to be competing for a playoff spot right now. I hate losing just as much as any of you. When the rangers get scored on or lose, I want to break something. However, I also realize what this team is. If we're still having these problems in 3 years, then there's a serious problem. Right now though, it's really hard to complain.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
What we need is real top guys, not to continue to try and force players to be what they aren't capable of being.

Dubinsky is a very good second line LW. 50-60, maybe even 65 points in the right situation. Expecting more from him is not wise.
50-65 points would have made him a top 15-20 left wing last year. And a top 40-90 forward.

If he gets ~60 points a year he is putting up closer to 1st line production than 2nd line. Only about 50 players scored 60+ points last year.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
The reason that many people think he's underachieving is because they've seen what he is capable of.

I don't care what he was projected to be when we drafted him. The fact of the matter is that Dubinsky has shown he has the ability to be an 80 point scorer.
Earlier this season was not a hot streak. Hot streaks don't last 30-40 games. The real problem is consistency. Not necessarily Dubinsky's consistency, but the team's as well. This is a young team. If Dubinsky was on a line being centered by Richards, I doubt consistency would be an issue for Dubinsky. But Dubinsky isn't centered by Brad Richards, he's centered by Artem Anisimov, the epitome of inconsistency. Not that I blame Anisimov, he's a second year player, but these are the cards we have in our hand.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he's still feeling the effects of the stress fracture he suffered earlier this season.

Even so, if a random lucky stick doesn't get in the way last night, he sets up Callahan for an empty-netter. If he doesn't get hauled down by Sekera, with no penalty I might add, maybe that puck ends up in the net too.

Dubinsky is doing fine. He's generating offensive chances, they just aren't ending up in the back of the net. It's going to happen with a young team that is still learning how to win and bring the same compete level every night. The floater comments are ridiculous. He isn't floating at all.

Fickle fans looking for a scapegoat, and nothing more. We have one of the youngest teams in the NHL. We're lucky to be competing for a playoff spot right now. I hate losing just as much as any of you. When the rangers get scored on or lose, I want to break something. However, I also realize what this team is. If we're still having these problems in 3 years, then there's a serious problem. Right now though, it's really hard to complain.
Thats not the fact of the matter, far from it in fact. The real fact of the matter is consistency is a major factor in being a point per game NHL player, probably the most important part.

So something is very wrong with the statement that Dubinsky has shown the ability to be an 80 point player, but doesnt have the consistency to be an 80 point player.

The major issue is that too many people are attributing the inconsistency as a whole to the fact we have a young team. Its a convenient excuse, but sometimes things just are what they are.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Garv23

If you think you can come back from a leg stress fracture and play like you were before the injury, you just have no clue. Especially with the way he plays his best which is along the boards protecting the puck...all legs and ass.

Dubi will be fine. I thought he played well last night.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
T The fact of the matter is that Dubinsky has shown he has the ability to be an 80 point scorer.
He hasn't. He's shown offensive ability. But he hasn't shown the ability to sustain it and do it consistently. That's what makes 80 point scorers, 80 points scorers

Old
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
McRanger

Quote:
He hasn't. He's shown offensive ability. But he hasn't shown the ability to sustain it and do it consistently. That's what makes 80 point scorers, 80 points scorers
He has been consistent most of the season, aside from about 4 games before last night. Where he looked drunk.

Even when he wasn't putting up points he was making things happen. Which is a big difference from last year when he would go on tears and then disappear. Not only on the scoring sheet but on the ice as well.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
PMantis24
LGR!

Quote:

This!

Dubi continues to generate chances on most nights, not entirely his fault this team can't finish.

The guy logs almost 20mins every night against the other team's top lines, kills penalties, etc. Along with Callahan the both of them are counted to play in every situation.

Honestly, I think he's still playing injured, he came back way too fast. Probably felt he needed to considering all the injuries we've had.

Like most have already mentioned, he's a very good 2nd line LW that I see averaging 50-60pts a year, anything more is just gravy. And he provides more than just points. Really can't complain.

The comment about him holding out is just ridiculous. I can't believe people are still bitter about that.

PMantis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
He has been consistent most of the season, aside from about 4 games before last night. Where he looked drunk.

Even when he wasn't putting up points he was making things happen. Which is a big difference from last year when he would go on tears and then disappear. Not only on the scoring sheet but on the ice as well.
What you describe is one thing. That doesn't mean he's shown the potential to score 80 points again, something he's never done on at any level.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Well, let's just say that you and I have a different interpretation of the word "ability."

When I say he has the ability to be an 80-point player; I mean that, under good circumstances, 80-points is not a ridiculous number for him to reach.

Now, what are "good circumstances" you may ask? In my opinion, they are:
-No injuries
-True #1C on his line
-Good 2nd and depth lines so that his line isn't keyed on all game
-Decent PP unit

To me, all of the above things factor into Dubinsky's consistency. I am not of the impression that he can reach 80 points on his own, carrying the team on his back. Truly elite players can do that, and I never claimed Dubinsky is elite.

Dubinsky hasn't been disappearing this season like he has in seasons past. There is a big difference between not producing and disappearing.

He is working hard, but just seems to be missing that top gear, which leads me to believe he is still suffering some ill effects from the stress fracture.

Take this for what it is: my opinion, but I believe Dubinsky has the "ability" to score 80 points.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
What you describe is one thing. That doesn't mean he's shown the potential to score 80 points again, something he's never done on at any level.
Yeah true but wasn't he able to go something like 230 points in 234 games in the WHL? Then in one AHL season have like 22 goals and 24 assists? Clearly not elite talent I can agree with that but a quality 1st liner if given the right line mates. His ability to fight and hit and still pass and score is clearly a nice fit if oh idk say he's leftwing to Richards - Gaborik starting next season. To me he is our own version of Erik Cole. Much like Cole he'll hit 65 points as a career best but does all those little things that you might not get out of a 80 point+ stud. Like hitting and pking so who knows potential is a tricky thing.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Well, let's just say that you and I have a different interpretation of the word "ability."

When I say he has the ability to be an 80-point player; I mean that, under good circumstances, 80-points is not a ridiculous number for him to reach.

Now, what are "good circumstances" you may ask? In my opinion, they are:
-No injuries
-True #1C on his line
-Good 2nd and depth lines so that his line isn't keyed on all game
-Decent PP unit

To me, all of the above things factor into Dubinsky's consistency. I am not of the impression that he can reach 80 points on his own, carrying the team on his back. Truly elite players can do that, and I never claimed Dubinsky is elite.

Dubinsky hasn't been disappearing this season like he has in seasons past. There is a big difference between not producing and disappearing.

He is working hard, but just seems to be missing that top gear, which leads me to believe he is still suffering some ill effects from the stress fracture.

Take this for what it is: my opinion, but I believe Dubinsky has the "ability" to score 80 points.
Yet he never has at any level. 80 points is an elite player. Elite players don't need all those circumstances to be elite players.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Many of these guys are out of gas

03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

There are not a lot of players in the league who can bring what Dubi brings, when he is on his game, for all 80 games of the season.

Dubi was a star player for us the first 40 or so games. We'd be in much better chape if our real star player, Gaborik, had picked up the slack after that. But instead, he is on pace for only 29 goals over a full season, and if you take out his blowout games, its closer to 16.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote