HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Growing Pains

View Poll Results: Did you expect this out of the rook's and soph's this year
No i thought they'd actually do worse and we'd be bottom 5 9 25.00%
Yes they are exactly where I thought. Some a little lower some a little higher than expectation 27 75.00%
How could they ONLY be great defensively and score 40+ on the year. Ridiculous. 0 0%
Wth no 70pt rookies? No 30+ goal scorers? 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
JimmyStart*

vCash: 500
Growing Pains

An insane amount of people are complaining about how the youth has failed this year. Aside from the fact that the season is not even over I can't help but wonder what did people expect out of rookies and soph's this year? Maybe I'm crazy but 40+ pt paces for rookie forwards is fantastic to me especially since they are not defensive liabilities. Our D play is harder to quantify by statistics but anyone who knows what they're looking at knows our two rooks have far outperformed expectations while unfortunately our D challenged soph's Gil and MDZ continue to struggle. Stepan is top 5 in rookie scoring, Zuke is on a good rookie scoring pace and constantly generates offense for us, Artie has not once been a liability all year while adding what will be 40+ points.

Did you expect them to do this? Did you expect less? Did you really expect more?

The team is failing as a whole but let's be realistic and specific. The vets are non existent and our older young guys like Staal, Girardi, Dubs and Cally (Who could all still get a liiiittle bit better) have done more than enough this year. Our prime scorer failed miserably this year. Our captain never showed up this season. Injuries totaled this team all year.

I understand being dissappointed in what looks like another barely out of PO not low enough for a good pick finish to the season but I'm curious to see if people really think the youth are failing or are they just venting b/c they hate losing.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Slick Rick 61

Voted with the 2nd option, though it's not really my answer. My answer is the kids have exceeded my expectations, but the Rangers are exactly where I thought they'd be in the standings.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
Voted with the 2nd option, though it's not really my answer. My answer is the kids have exceeded my expectations, but the Rangers are exactly where I thought they'd be in the standings.
I should have made that 5th option but i can't figure out how to add it

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
NYR Viper

If you told me the Rangers would have as many man-games lost to injuries and to which players at the beginning of the season I would say without hesitation this team should be a lot lower than they are now. The young guys have exceeded my expectations but if they want to make the playoffs they will need to do more.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i thought, if healthy this team would be ~10th in the East.

theyve been absolutely decimated by injuries, and are somehow in a playoff spot.

im ecstatic with the way this season has played out.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I thought we were going anywhere between 6-10 and that Gabby was going to carry us... turns out we are in 7th and the youth are stepping up, and although not consistant, have really been amazing for us this year

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Del Zotto is worse than expectations; Sauer Boyle and Stepan better.

All others like Anisimov, McD, etc. were as expected.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:32 AM
MaximusT

I absolutely LOVE the youth movement. Yes, we've been playing horribly since 2011, but I'm extremely pleased with the way the season has gone despite the recent suckage. honestly, when was the last time a Ranger team would battle this hard EVERY game. Maybe there's a reason why we always lose in 1 goal games, and rarely get blown out....because the young guys (pack line, zuc,steps, all the young D men,etc) give it their all every ****ing shift theyre on the ice. This is unlike any Ranger team we've seen since the lockout, especially a complete opposite of the 08-09 team that would coast through games relying on Hank to save their *****. Most importantly a NYR squad finally created an identity for itself!!!!

People have to realize everything these kids have gone through this year. There were points in the season when they were winning KEY games with arguably our heart and soul in Dubi and Cally out AND Gaborik being mr.invisible . No other team in the league has had to deal with MORE injuries than us.

some of you guys need to take a step back and look at the big picture.....we're not in 14th or 15th place as some of you make it seem, were in 7th...once again, all of this while our "superstar" has MISERABLY failed as did the secondary scorer everyone was expecting to pot 25+ goals in Frolov.
When you factor all of this in, the injuries + gaborik having a crappy year, you realize that this has been a great season.

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Dorado*

Agreed , we need to get out from under bad contracts , We all know who they are and I'd include gaborik . I wish and hope we can trade him , he might return to form and then return to LTIR . Too risky . I rather spend the money or trade for a proven PMD , a solid winger that can score and is durable and a proven but affordable C . This team is not BR away from a cup we are still a few years away from even being anything more than a fringe play off team . I hope Kreider can become an Eric Cole type burner with power up the wing and score a bit and if we can't land a true moderate priced 1a center out BD back at center and go with BD , AA , Step up the middle .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Vitto79

In the end if the team gets 7/8 or even miss the playoffs at 9th they are likely in the same position going into next yr. The league is just very even.

Of course I want them to make the playoffs but I also understand they are growing and will become a better team.

If they get a #1 C July 1st and we all know who we are looking at they should be in a good spot. The kids are a yr younger and lets hope the injury bug does not hit us like this yr

I will expect the playoffs next yr

This yr I respect the fight this team brings each and every night. Its frustrating to see them lose 1 goal games but on the same note they win there fair share........they are real tough team to play against cause they work hard

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The biggest question of the younger guy is what's the upside?

- Is Boyle more than what he's been this year?
- Have Dubinsky and Callahan reached their ceilings?
- If you sign Richards, what do you do with Anisimov?
- Is it reasonable to expect any more from Sauer?
- Will McDonagh, like Staal, develop an offensive component to his game?
- Will Zuccarello's lack of size keep him from being the offensive player it was hoped he'd become?
- Does Del Zotto regain his game?

These questions need to answered. And then you need to decide how to proceed. Who are the guys you want to retain and build with and which guys best value to the team are as trade pieces? The "play the kids" idea is nice — and probably right for this season. But sitting and waiting for prospects to develop with the that it will ultimately result in a cup-contending team is not a philosophy. To me the only four real keepers right now are Callahan, Stepan, Staal McDonagh (of the so-called younger guys).

The farm system may be in decent shape, but the team on the NHL level is really not that close to challenging for the Cup.

03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The Rangers don't have a top tier offensive prospect. There's no one that we can say for sure will come out and be in the top 10 or even 20 in scoring. Until that happens, then we're going to need outside help. That's the truth. Even with Gaborik (who hasn't been too great this year), that's not enough.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The Rangers don't have a top tier offensive prospect. There's no one that we can say for sure will come out and be in the top 10 or even 20 in scoring. Until that happens, then we're going to need outside help. That's the truth. Even with Gaborik (who hasn't been too great this year), that's not enough.
Or an elite homegrown offensive player. A huge need. And a huge problem especially when take into the account the lack of success for the past 13 years.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Or an elite homegrown offensive player. A huge need. And a huge problem — especially when take into the account the lack of success for the past 13 years.
Exactly, unfortunately these days the only way to get one of those is to either strike gold or get a top 5 pick. Rangers haven't done either. None of the prospects the Rangers have seem like they will fill that mold, Kreider is our biggest hope at this point. Also doesn't help that the Rangers have been spending many first round picks on Defensemen (4 of the last 6 drafts).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Exactly, unfortunately these days the only way to get one of those is to either strike gold or get a top 5 pick. Rangers haven't done either. None of the prospects the Rangers have seem like they will fill that mold, Kreider is our biggest hope at this point.
That's the easy way to do it — and their lack of success drafting in the first round is criminal. The other is beat the bushes and find talent.

Datsyuk: 6th round pick
Zetterberg: 7th round pick

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote