HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

P E C O: Power Play discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
  #26
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't trust my memory implicitly here, but I'm not remembering this at all past maybe the early part of the season. They might've had a good game or two against weak competition, but nothing that stuck out to me as a trend greater than normal variance of distribution.
12th in October
17th in November
20th in December
11th in January
26th in February

And, obviously, there's a big difference between 11/12th and the others in %. Then there's the streakiness. From Oct. 26 to Nov 15 they went 14/43 (32.5% for 10 games). Then there was another stretch wrapped around the New Year when it got on track a bit. Their problem is that they've paired that with runs of getting almost nothing out of their PP.

The one thing to be said about the PP is that throughout much of the year, when they needed a goal they've gotten a goal. Which may indicate that the urgency is lacking a bit on the PP since they've played much of the year with the lead, and haven't had to rely on the PP as much.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:07 AM
  #27
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
12th in October
17th in November
20th in December
11th in January
26th in February

And, obviously, there's a big difference between 11/12th and the others in %. Then there's the streakiness. From Oct. 26 to Nov 15 they went 14/43 (32.5% for 10 games). Then there was another stretch wrapped around the New Year when it got on track a bit. Their problem is that they've paired that with runs of getting almost nothing out of their PP.

The one thing to be said about the PP is that throughout much of the year, when they needed a goal they've gotten a goal. Which may indicate that the urgency is lacking a bit on the PP since they've played much of the year with the lead, and haven't had to rely on the PP as much.
Years past our 5 on 5 differential was not nearly as good as it is this year, alot of the time we were a goal down or tied, therefore more urgency on the powerplay, this year alot of our powerplays seem to come a goal or two up and the players just dont seem to be pushing for it.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:15 AM
  #28
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Lavi is consistent, if you earn your ice you get pp time. Carter richards briere and leino to name a few have done nothing 5 on 5 lately and are just struggling right now, detriot for years has had a top pp or a threat, and it is simple win the puck down low and then get it to the points, crunch in and shoot with a screen, we have no net presence and the cross crease pass just doesn't do it anymore. I for one would like to see Mez on the PP more, he has a bomb and actually quite mobile when he is needed. Lokk at his two ot goals he moves in to the slot and get a laser off. I would rather see a shot attempt and possible block that f&*in around with it and coughing it up. Mez Kimmo on the point G on the half boards with JVR at the net and Carter in the high slot.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
  #29
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
gagne was a good shooter on the powerplay, he got pucks to the net with simple wrist shots

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
  #30
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Lavi is consistent, if you earn your ice you get pp time. Carter richards briere and leino to name a few have done nothing 5 on 5 lately and are just struggling right now, detriot for years has had a top pp or a threat, and it is simple win the puck down low and then get it to the points, crunch in and shoot with a screen, we have no net presence and the cross crease pass just doesn't do it anymore. I for one would like to see Mez on the PP more, he has a bomb and actually quite mobile when he is needed. Lokk at his two ot goals he moves in to the slot and get a laser off. I would rather see a shot attempt and possible block that f&*in around with it and coughing it up. Mez Kimmo on the point G on the half boards with JVR at the net and Carter in the high slot.
Carter and Giroux are the only reason we've been winning with any consistency lately.

Carter has 22 pts in the last 24 games, and 18 of those are at even strength.

Might need to change your username.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:42 AM
  #31
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Get rid of Mullen. All the talent in the world on the ice... make it work already. They won't go very far in the PO's if they aren't scoring on the PP. I don't give a **** what anyone says, it's going to be a fact.

I agree with Rich - keep the lines the same, work with those lines.... switching too often wouldn't help the confidence of the guys out there, that's for sure.
I'm sorry, but this is the same group who executed the system last year and were ranked 3rd in the league, now it is Mullens fault, or Laviolette's fault because these primadonnas cannot execute?

There job is to get the job done with the player on their line, and as captain it is his duty to be the conduit between the staff and the players. If it is confidence they need what good does it do to openly call out the coach and his staff because the players on the ice cannot get it done. You cannot make this stuff up, unreal.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:47 AM
  #32
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

If Mullen was able to use the players properly this year he would. Apparently it's not working.... who or what do you think is to blame, Jester?

Stop, please. The coaches are paid to coach, history shows that this has been successful up to this point. Even the coach suggested that maybe the complacent attitude amongst the bunch at 5v5 is translating to a poor PP. With the talent they have and a man-advantage there is no reason to have such a bi-polar PP. It comes down to just winning the one on one, or in this case the man-advantage, battles.

It is 100% on the players. The coach and his staff have directed them to 1st in the EC after a nice trip to the SCF's, enough with blaming the coaches, time for the players to be accountable Mr Richards, the so-called "leader".

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
  #33
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
Just shoot the damn thing - too much passing on the PP.
Passing and puck possession are keys to a successful PP. Also gaining the zone with possession is a big part, but at this point just get the d-men to bring the puck up, bang the puck around the boards and let the fwds battle for puck possession. It comes down to winning the individual battles, wanting it more, not much coaches can do with that.

Also the drop pass possession does not work for this group right now. The idea is to get more than one guy with speed coming into the zone, with the drop pass you have one guy(Giroux) coming up the ice with speed and no one else able to support him, which results in the defense collapsing on Giroux and a turnover. Back to basics.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
  #34
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think gaining the zone has been our biggest problem. We often only get set up once during a 2 min PP

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:59 AM
  #35
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
They've been doing the drop pass thing for more than a year now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
  #36
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Carter and Giroux are the only reason we've been winning with any consistency lately.

Carter has 22 pts in the last 24 games, and 18 of those are at even strength.

Might need to change your username.
sorry I was referring to the pp, turn the heat up in the basement

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
  #37
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
The PP sucking is perplexing. One thing that makes a PP go is having lotsa Dmen who can fire bombs from the point. And Philly seems well stocked in this: Timo, Prongs, Mesz, and Carle can all fire them. Not sure if even Coburn can or not.. I remember one year Coburn and Timo both scored double digits in goals, did they not?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:37 AM
  #38
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
The PP sucking is perplexing. One thing that makes a PP go is having lotsa Dmen who can fire bombs from the point. And Philly seems well stocked in this: Timo, Prongs, Mesz, and Carle can all fire them. Not sure if even Coburn can or not.. I remember one year Coburn and Timo both scored double digits in goals, did they not?
Carle sucks at shooting. Timonen does more so accurate wrist shots, than bombs.

Coburn shot is hard but inaccurate and his offensive instincts aren't good enough for the PP.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
  #39
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Carle sucks at shooting. Timonen does more so accurate wrist shots, than bombs.

Coburn shot is hard but inaccurate and his offensive instincts aren't good enough for the PP.
Timonen has a good point shot, he's just always on the left side of the PP, and he can't really use it there.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
  #40
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
We need a right hand shot on the left point so we can take pressure off of Pronger or whomever is on that right side. We have no one timer option off the left side. Teams have adjusted and moved their forwards closer to our defensemen. Our forwards are failing in support roles and defenders are clogging lanes better. Seeing as how there isn't going to be a right shot on the blue line for the pp, guys are going to have to work a lot harder down low. Consistent traffic wouldn't hurt either. Anyone blaming Mullen for our pp woes should realize that JoeyM can't go out there and execute for them.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
  #41
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Lavi is consistent, if you earn your ice you get pp time. Carter richards briere and leino to name a few have done nothing 5 on 5 lately and are just struggling right now, detriot for years has had a top pp or a threat, and it is simple win the puck down low and then get it to the points, crunch in and shoot with a screen, we have no net presence and the cross crease pass just doesn't do it anymore. I for one would like to see Mez on the PP more, he has a bomb and actually quite mobile when he is needed. Lokk at his two ot goals he moves in to the slot and get a laser off. I would rather see a shot attempt and possible block that f&*in around with it and coughing it up. Mez Kimmo on the point G on the half boards with JVR at the net and Carter in the high slot.
Whoa! Carter has been very good of late. Briere, not so much, he's been very quiet for quite a stretch. Leino has been as well but I'd really like to see Lavi keep certain units together for a few games and see how things go.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
  #42
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
We need a right hand shot on the left point so we can take pressure off of Pronger or whomever is on that right side. We have no one timer option off the left side. Teams have adjusted and moved their forwards closer to our defensemen. Our forwards are failing in support roles and defenders are clogging lanes better. Seeing as how there isn't going to be a right shot on the blue line for the pp, guys are going to have to work a lot harder down low. Consistent traffic wouldn't hurt either. Anyone blaming Mullen for our pp woes should realize that JoeyM can't go out there and execute for them.
Who are our options though? Giroux is bad at the point as he doesn't shoot. Leaves Versteeg, Carter and Briere really. I wouldn't want Briere playing D, and Carter doesn't really do slapshots so Versteeg is our only viable option. (He did play point on the PP with Toronto)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
  #43
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
I love Giroux with Carter. I love Briere with Leino. That goes 5 on 5 and PP.

So:
Giroux-Carter-Richards-
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

On D:
Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn

I would give it a try and stick with it for 5 games. Play every practise with those units and see how it goes. Carter-Giroux-JVR is also possible with Richards on a point, he is smart enough to play point on the PP.

Make a choice and give it time to gel.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
  #44
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They've been doing the drop pass thing for more than a year now.
And it is not working. If they want to recreate the NHL All-Star game then I am all for it, but the idea at this point should be to keep it simple.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
  #45
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Power search. The Flyers tinkered with their struggling power-play units at Tuesday's practice, trying to find the right combinations. In their last six games, their power play is in a 1-for-20 funk. They are 0 for 10 in their last three games (1-1-1).

"It's definitely perplexing," assistant Joe Mullen said. "The execution has to get a little better, and we have to find ways to get the puck through to the net. I think we move the puck all right, we just need to get it to net."

The power-play units looked like this Tuesday: an all-center unit of Richards, Claude Giroux and Jeff Carter, with Chris Pronger and Matt Carle at the points; and Briere centering Scott Hartnell and Ville Leino, with Andrej Meszaros and Kimmo Timonen at the points.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._adjusted.html


I like that, especially the second unit. I've been clamoring for Hartnell-Briere-Leino to stick together on the PP for months now. I believe Laviolette was resisting that obvious change because he wants to give Briere and Giroux an opportunity to show some chemistry on the ice together (and he obviously can't risk those two 5v5), but it just hasn't been working. The other unit has the four best players on the team, so it should do something...

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
  #46
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Hartnell-Giroux-Briere
Timonen-Richards

JVR-Carter-Leino
Pronger-Mez

On unit one you can have hartnell set up in front, and have scoring threats from each side (richie on the right, briere on the left)...and g and timonen look to set them up...or vise-versa.

On unit two, you have two hard shot threats from the point and 3 big bodies to crash the net.

Thats just my suggestion...I really wanna see Richards back on the point though...it opens up a spot for another forward and gets Carle off the PP.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
  #47
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I would do:

-------Briere Hartnell
Versteeg-----------Richards
-----------Timonen

As a pyramid for one 1 unit. Versteeg and Richards both have experience on the point, and Versteeg's RH shot would help.

2nd unit:

JVR/Leino-Carter-Giroux
Pronger-Mez/Carle

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
  #48
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Gagne - Richards - Leino
Carle - Pronger.......

Oh wait.......

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
  #49
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And it is not working. If they want to recreate the NHL All-Star game then I am all for it, but the idea at this point should be to keep it simple.
Worked fine in the past.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
  #50
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I would do:
How about:

-------Giroux Carter
Versteeg-----------Richards
-----------Pronger

As a pyramid for 1 unit. Versteeg and Richards both have experience on the point, and Versteeg's RH shot would help.

2nd unit:

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Meszaros-Timonen


All you have to do get there from today's practice units is substitute Versteeg for Carle. It also allows you to keep the HBL line intact, which I think is a step in the right direction.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.