HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

umm...wtf is connolly here?

Old
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The nightmare is that Connolly & Boyes click just enough to get Regier to re-sign Connolly to another multi-year deal and he sleep walks through large portions of that contract.

Too much has stayed the same for me to rule that scenario out right now.

And I don't get how giving up a guy that has 2g and 12 pts in 2011 is somehow trading away all the offense that the Sabres have.......

The only tough part is that nobody knows what Regier was offered up for Connolly. A 2nd? A 3rd? A decent prospect? David Steckel?
I don't recall anyone saying trading him away constitutes trading away all of our offense. 12 pts in 22 games is nothing amazing either.

But we need centers and keeping a 45pt center (the pace he is one in 2011) that can help on the PK and PP isn't a bad idea.

We all agree that he isn't the answer going forward in the top 6. But short run he provides serviceable depth at the position as we make a playoff push.

As for too much staying the same, huh?

Pegula has been the owner for a week. ONE WEEK.

We just made a trade that never would have happened in the previous era. What exactly were you expecting? The team will not be changed in one fell swoop. Its going to take many little changes on the team, in the hockey dept and in other areas over time. Have some patience.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-01-2011 at 01:41 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Glad you said that JJ!!!!
It took years, not days for the team to be in it's current form. It will take more than a week or even a few months for the team to change gears and be more productive and effective. With a trade here and a signing there, the Sabres will get better. Construction is a marathon, not a sprint. Fire sales are much quicker which is not what Pegula and Co. are doing.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Kids: Don't smoke crack

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
cool thread bro
I saw this the other day on the trade forums and thought it was hilarious then too!

Anyways, I think they are just keeping Connolly here for this years push and will count on Roy coming back in next season to take his place.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
playoffhero

Arglebargle or Foofaraw?

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't recall anyone saying trading him away constitutes trading away all of our offense. 12 pts in 22 games is nothing amazing either.

But we need centers and keeping a 45pt center (the pace he is one in 2011) that can help on the PK and PP isn't a bad idea.

We all agree that he isn't the answer going forward in the top 6. But short run he provides serviceable depth at the position as we make a playoff push.

We just made a trade that never would have happened in the previous era. What exactly were you expecting? The team will not be changed in one fell swoop. Its going to take many little changes on the team, in the hockey dept and in other areas over time. Have some patience.

The Boyes trade was the steal of the deadline.A 50 point player essentially got 2 firsts and a 2nd and costs more, while we just dealt a mid 2nd round pick for the best offensive player moved during the deadline.

Pegula

And as for Connolly, he has had a really down season and still is on average for 45~ points...if you can't appreciate that, then go look a few notches below the depth chart to Gaustad and see his 2.3 mil on pace for 26 points.And as far as PK'ing, Connolly>Goose, not even close.And I'm not saying to jettison Goose, I want him on the 4th line with Connolly on the 3rd and Roy/Acquired C on the top 2 lines.

Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 03-01-2011 at 06:53 PM.
La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:

This post
wasn't clear if it was just referring to giving up Connolly or if it was a response to not moving Connolly, Vanek, and others.

There have been plenty of posts and tweets and comments on the radio basically saying that if they had dealt Connolly for a pick that it would guarantee that they wouldn't make the playoffs this year.

Connolly hasn't been productive enough the past few months for me to buy that.

Quote:
Letting an asset walk away for nothing in return in this situation isn't a good idea (depending on what offers were out there), IMO.

Quote:
What is the definition of servicable?

It more like a wing and a prayer that two Jr teammates click, to me.

And given the deadline moves post-lockout, I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:

This wishy washy approach to the deadline (we're not sellers, but we're not really buying, either) where they added a guy that is trending downward for a 2nd and didn't address bigger areas of need (like center position), seems like the same approach that Regier took while shackled during the previous administration.

The line that they were close on other deals and they just didn't happen is a broken record with Regier, as well.

The interesting thing will be whether he can get the deals that he hinted could happen at the draft come off or if he says "we tried" all over again.

Personally, I was hoping to see them make the hard decision to get what they could for expiring assets now and then revamp things over the summer.

I think they missed a chance to take one step back to set themselves up to take two steps forward is all.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:11 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
And as for Connolly, he has had a really down season and still is on average for 45~ points...if you can't appreciate that, then go look a few notches below the depth chart to Gaustad and see his 2.3 mil on pace for 26 points.And as far as PK'ing, Connolly>Goose, not even close.And I'm not saying to jettison Goose, I want him on the 4th line with Connolly on the 3rd and Roy/Acquired C on the top 2 lines.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...er-pn.cgi?1896

Connolly is on pace for 11 goals, 37 pts, and a -16 this season.

If you think that he deserves a cookie for that production.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
And as for Connolly, he has had a really down season and still is on average for 45~ points...if you can't appreciate that, then go look a few notches below the depth chart to Gaustad and see his 2.3 mil on pace for 26 points.
As of today (using cap hit):

Connolly has cost $173,076.92 per point.

Gaustad has cost $115,000 per point.

Connolly also gets over 3 minutes per game of PP ice time, compared to Gaustad's 46 seconds.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
ADoubleD

Can a thread with ummmmm...wtf in the title even be taken seriously?

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:55 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

This wishy washy approach to the deadline (we're not sellers, but we're not really buying, either) where they added a guy that is trending downward for a 2nd and didn't address bigger areas of need (like center position), seems like the same approach that Regier took while shackled during the previous administration.

The line that they were close on other deals and they just didn't happen is a broken record with Regier, as well.

The interesting thing will be whether he can get the deals that he hinted could happen at the draft come off or if he says "we tried" all over again.

Personally, I was hoping to see them make the hard decision to get what they could for expiring assets now and then revamp things over the summer.

I think they missed a chance to take one step back to set themselves up to take two steps forward is all.
Fair enough, but I'd opine they're having a hard time stepping back or forward with one leg (i.e., Roy's knee) tied.

Whether you shudder at the thought or not, I bet Darcy's reluctant to deal TC until he knows how Roy's rehab is progressing. He'll have a read on that by July 1 to know whether to court him seriously as a UFA or not.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:56 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Fair enough, but I'd opine they're having a hard time stepping back or forward with one leg (i.e., Roy's knee) tied.

Whether you shudder at the thought or not, I bet Darcy's reluctant to deal TC until he knows how Roy's rehab is progressing. He'll have a read on that by July 1 to know whether to court him seriously as a UFA or not.
I feel like I'd be ok with them resigning Connolly this offseason if they took a different approach to it. When they resigned him after 05-06 they gave him 3 year $3mil per year, if I remember correctly, after an injury riddled season and a season ending concussion that was going to keep him out for almost the entire next season. They gave him a deal that showed they had confidence in him, and felt he could be a key part of this team going forward. Then in 08-09 they give him a 2 year extension worth $4.5 mil per year showing that they felt he was one of the guys most important to the team's success.

His past two contracts have indicated the team putting a good deal of faith in him to be a leader and one of the team's top players. He has failed to do either. He has little to no chance of getting a raise from his current salary on his next contract, and is most likely due for a decent pay cut. If they signed him to a one year deal in the $2-2.5 mil range, maybe even up to $3 mil at the highest I think I'd be ok with it.

To me it would be a sign of them acknowledging that he's not one of the top guys on this team, and shouldn't be paid or counted on as such. Signing him to a $2-2.5 mil one year deal would indicate to me that they are moving in a different direction, epecially if they add a top six center in the offseason. They wouldn't be counting on him like they do now, and he'd be the team's third line center which IMO wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I know others would think that they wouldn't be changing anything, and would be sticking with the status quo, but holding onto him for one more year while Adam or Byron are either transitioning to the NHL, or getting more proseasoning in the AHL wouldn't be such a bad thing. Many on here don't feel that Adam will be able to become an NHL center. Why throw him into a full time third line center role right off the bat if he's not ready for it? Same with Byron. Do we want another Kennedy situation(referring to his struggles at center, not buyout situation). If you'd rather add a third center through free agency, and let TC go I get that, and I sort of feel that way myself. But if you think of it the way I laid it out, holding onto him wouldn't be the end of the world.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote