HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #65 vs. Buffalo Sabres

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #65 vs. Buffalo Sabres
Artem Anisimov 12 13.79%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 6 6.90%
Erik Christensen 3 3.45%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.30%
Henrik Lundqvist 2 2.30%
Bryan McCabe 9 10.34%
Ryan McDonagh 47 54.02%
Michael Sauer 1 1.15%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Other 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Garv23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Been very impressed with him. Great skating ability. Love to see him develop a mean streak.

I think he can and will too. Apparantly he's built like a brick ****house. He's playing responsible defense now, but when he gets more comfortable back there, I think we're all going to see some big hits out of him. You can tell it's just waiting to burst out.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuberts View Post
Quote from singing blues:Buffalo played like GARBAGE last night, and yet they won. The Rangers are honestly a better team then them,

I have to disagree with that
Buffalo is at least as good as the rangers
I have this sample since Jan 1
Buffalo 15-8-2
Rangers 11-14-1

Also the sabres are playing without their leading scorer D Roy
And have Gone long stretches without their leading goal scorer D Stafford
As well as montador and leopold
Not sure you want to compare injuries against the Rangers this season

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:35 AM
miss2leetch

Could we have done better to address our scoring troubles at the trade deadline?

miss2leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Probably not a good plan when trying to make a point, no.

We're probably pushing a team record here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Is it safe to say the decline in play came at the re-insertion of Prospal/Christensen in the lineup?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
mhuberts

Quote:
Why not, our leading point player Roy (35 points in 35 games) went down for the season and our leading goal scorer Drew stafford for 18 games he has 24 goals in 44 games
When the teams are injury free the sabres and rangers are even. Sabres started the season with new d men and the sabres are now building chemistry
I'm not knocking the Rangers and have no animosity towards them
I do hate the Habs

mhuberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:52 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Sabre fan here. I actually thought to myself that sans Gaborik, the Rangers and Sabres are a lot alike. They rely on a committee of players to score and don't have the notoriety that some of the other teams have offensively. They also lean heavily on all world goalies.

Anyways. I enjoyed watching the game except for the fact that the Versus crew may as well have been wearing Ranger sweaters.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:21 AM
fightclubber25

i hope under good, someone put "having the entire broadcast crew on our side, making it painful for sabres fans to listen to"

cuz it was. close game guys, 9/10 i think you win that game, miller got lucky a few chances with guys shooting right into him or wide.

its going to be a race to the end and i think it'll come down to the last game of the season (i know thats tough to swallow for you guys after last year). good luck!

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
NYRangers77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Is it safe to say the decline in play came at the re-insertion of Prospal/Christensen in the lineup?
Vinny has 7 points in 12 games and EC is starting to come on. These guys missed a significant amount of time. Plus EC has been on the fourth line until recently. Except for a few players no one is really scoring. Dubi has to get going as well. These guys are banged up though. Hopefully Gaborik and Staal are back soon.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
tomobson

looked to me like the rangers outplayed the sabres for most of that game. stupid penalties along with the refs calling stupid penalties cost us the game.

either way, the future is looking bright for us on the blue line. mcd was a complete steal in that gomez trade and sauer is just steady. can't wait for the future!

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

it wont come down to the last game like last year, they are going to drop out of the race sooner than later, they'll play hard but just come up short. It sucks but it is what it is, until sather's albatros contracts are gone, they learn to play for 60 minutes and get some consistent goal scoring help this is what we'll be looking at.
as for last night, it was the straw that finally broke this season ticket holders back. I'm tired of scrambling around my schedule and rushing to catch trains to make it to the game on time when the team doesnt decide to show up until halfway through the second period. farkem.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

To me, the game changing moment last night was:

Steps shoots puck directly into Miller after a great pass by Zucc on PP.

1. Could have tied the game before the end of the 2nd period (huge).
2. Gave Miller all kinds of confidence to win the game after that save.

Right there, that was a game changing moment, and it lay on the rookies hands.

I like what Olczyk said, "move in there". Stepan was watching the play too much and not worried about the backdoor tap in. He had far too much net to look at and he was simply too far to accurately assess the situation and aim accordingly. He had the whole short side net open and shoots it far side/middle directly into Miller as he sprawls across.

That's your game right there. Hopefully, he learns next time. He is just a rookie, I'm not bashing, just saying that's a big play in the game.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
McCabe has a great point shot, but his play otherwise really worries me. It seriously looks like he's skating in mud out there. Not only that, but he doesn't seem to skate or move that much while away from the play. I just feel like he's going to be an odd-man rush/breakaway machine.

Not trying to be all negative on him, because I really do like what he brings in the offensive zone. I just can't ignore the fact that he's a significantly worse skater than even Rozsival, whom was pretty much universally acknowledged on this board, even by his supporters, as a poor skater.

I hope he works out, but he definitely needs someone with serious wheels as his partner. I'm not sure Sauer will cut it (not a knock on Sauer at all, the guy just isn't a speed demon).
I think people are so thrilled with shot on the PP that they are willing to overlook how bad he is defensively. I would go as far to say that he is close to being a defensive liability... his failure to clear on the PK combined with blown coverage led to two goals against last night. If he's going to play so poorly on defense, it may wash out any sort of offensive contributions he makes on the PP.

Once Staal gets back, I doubt McCabe will be killing penalties, and he'll probably get less time at even strength. But his skating is noticeably bad and it is a cause for concern.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
People *****ing about the young guys not being able to score...

Dubinsky
Callahan
Stepan
Boyle

Are all going to score over 20 goals this season. Boyle is already there.

Anisimov needs 6 more, which is possible.

The REAL reason this team has trouble winning/scoring...over 14 million in cap space wasted on two guys not in the lineup.

One of which is being paid to be an elite goal scorer. He's not playing right now, and when he was, he wasn't doing his job.

And Drury's career is all but over. He should retire and give the Rangers the 7+ mil in cap space.

Blaming the likes of Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Boyle, and Anisimov is lunacy.

YOUNG TEAM = GROWING PAINS.

Next season, there's NO MORE excuses for Gaborik. This season is probably already behind him, seeing as he may not play. Over the summer get him Richards, make him happy. Let's go back to war.

BTW, this season isn't over yet.
No one's ever gonna blame the kids, because no one's ever allowed to.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
So many of our fans are alarmists. As jesse spector said last night this is a year where the Rangers were not expected to compete for a playoff spot but to develop some youth -- and they have accomplished that mission -- all while being competitive.

There are still many games left to be played and as fans we need to just wait it out. Worst case scenario all of these young guys grow wiser from their experience and the Rangers are a better team for it going forward.

Honestly I like this team a great deal and with some more offensive firepower (like they showed earlier this year) they are very difficult to beat.
While I'm very surprised at what they have done so far and what the future can be with some tweeking, when you've been in the hunt this long and it's coming down the wire....you want to make it. I think playing in the playoffs would be great for guys like Stepan, McDonagh, Boyle, Saure, etc.. Even if it's only 5 or 6 games. They'll get a taste of playoff hockey.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
LannyMcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
Vinny has 7 points in 12 games and EC is starting to come on. These guys missed a significant amount of time. Plus EC has been on the fourth line until recently. Except for a few players no one is really scoring. Dubi has to get going as well. These guys are banged up though. Hopefully Gaborik and Staal are back soon.
I like Vinny and EC (for real), but I don't think it's just coincidence. They haven't done anything wrong, but their return is taking ice time away from guys who were winning games for us, and it feels like the chemistry is gone.

LannyMcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'll some this up: this team is just not very hard to play against.
And that is 100% John Tortorella's fault. It is not the kids fault.

Young teams play well often, not always, but often -- but when the game is to be decided, they usually do not have it. Kids in the NHL aren't 1like 16 y/o in Juniors who are clueless where to be on the ice and what to do. Guys like Sauer, McD, MDZ, Stepan and co are not clueless. Listening to the Torts-backers it sounds like a miricle that this young team is just able to find their way to the ice et c, thats just 100% BS IMO.

With us, by default we give up a bunch of scoring chances and run around all over the ice, the puk is thrown to left and right -- and we do not have "it". If we had a all-star lineup, we would have been fine. With a Cap, we will never have a all-star lineup. This roster full with kids is right at the Cap...

And "by default", I litterary mean that its our gameplan to throw blind passes up ice. Because it clearly is. All forwards bolts out of the zone, if anything we have a center right inside our own blueline. The wingers got the boards in the neutral zone. A long pass it made, then redirected into the attackingzone -- and then we chase after. Thats our gameplan.

It can be executed (natrually) but its not effective. All good teams today use those plays -- to back the other team off, like we also accomplish -- but then they take advantage of the open ice in the neutralzone and challenge the other team by taking the puck up ice with speed. They break the blueline by carrying the puck, and there make plays before they get shots off. We never do that. If we do it 3 times per game and play like a defensive team like NJD, they will have done it 20 times per game. Even they have the guts to play their way up ice and attack the net with the puck.

John Tortorella have definitely implemented the biggest chicken system of a NHL team in a really long time here in NY.

No guts what so ever.

It pisses me off beyond...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Bring Goneau Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Young teams play well often, not always, but often -- but when the game is to be decided, they usually do not have it. Kids in the NHL aren't 1like 16 y/o in Juniors who are clueless where to be on the ice and what to do. Guys like Sauer, McD, MDZ, Stepan and co are not clueless. Listening to the Torts-backers it sounds like a miricle that this young team is just able to find their way to the ice et c, thats just 100% BS IMO.

With us, by default we give up a bunch of scoring chances and run around all over the ice, the puk is thrown to left and right -- and we do not have "it". If we had a all-star lineup, we would have been fine. With a Cap, we will never have a all-star lineup. This roster full with kids is right at the Cap...

And "by default", I litterary mean that its our gameplan to throw blind passes up ice. Because it clearly is. All forwards bolts out of the zone, if anything we have a center right inside our own blueline. The wingers got the boards in the neutral zone. A long pass it made, then redirected into the attackingzone -- and then we chase after. Thats our gameplan.

It can be executed (natrually) but its not effective. All good teams today use those plays -- to back the other team off, like we also accomplish -- but then they take advantage of the open ice in the neutralzone and challenge the other team by taking the puck up ice with speed. They break the blueline by carrying the puck, and there make plays before they get shots off. We never do that. If we do it 3 times per game and play like a defensive team like NJD, they will have done it 20 times per game. Even they have the guts to play their way up ice and attack the net with the puck.

John Tortorella have definitely implemented the biggest chicken system of a NHL team in a really long time here in NY.

No guts what so ever.

I see you criticize Torts on here and RFC all the time, so let me ask you this...

Who would you rather see coaching the team?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
I see you criticize Torts on here and RFC all the time, so let me ask you this...

Who would you rather see coaching the team?
or better yet...who has the skating/puck handeling ability to consistantly carry the puck up the ice and into the zone like he describes?

we are the worst puck handling team i have ever seen in the NHL

ironically, this team could actually use both Gomez and Rosi in that sense....rosi was great at gaining control and generating a smooth transition up ice, and literally the only thing gomez was good at was carrying the puck up ice and in the zone

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

No guts what so ever.

you should just copy and paste this post from now on Ola...you say the same thing after every loss.

every loss is Torts' fault...not cause Henrik gives up a softie (god forbid you blame a swede!) or because the refs sucked, or we flat out get beat by a better team, or we are injured, or our high priced players, ie our best players, are playing like crap/hurt...no, its torts' fault.

save your fingers the effort and just copy and paste it.. ive read this exact post with different arrangement of words like 975 times from you lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

team is playing too tight, they need to loosen up and focus on the next play...the young leadership needs to get this through. I saw some good things from them last night. This is a bump in the road that will serve the team in the long haul. LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Ok, if you say so. Zuccarello has zero ability to score.

His 23-41/64 pts for Modo in his last season in SEL, and his 23 points in his 22 last games for CW is just plain luck.

Im sorry for being so stupid..... Just too bad Zuccarello cant keep up to the superstar Gaborik who seems to be on fire this season.
Doesn't matter what he did with Modo in the SEL. I don't care if he had 40g and 100pts in his season playing with Forsberg and Naslund. I don't care if he had 20g in the AHL before we called him up. The only thing that matters is his performance at the NHL level and he has proven he has great difficulty putting the puck in the back of the net. He has had tons of great chances throughout the season, including tonight, and can't find a way to FINISH.

Great play maker but thus far in the NHL he has displayed no finish. 3g in 30 games isn't going to cut it, sorry. He deserves the criticism for his inability to put the puck in the net. Young or not, players have to be held accountable for their shortcomings.

If he was half as good at scoring in regulation as he is in the shootouts he could actually be an impact player. But he isn't. It's nice to help us get an extra point in the shootout and all but in the playoffs... guess what? There are no shootouts. Teams actually have to score more than the other team to win.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Zucc doesnt really have a problem scoring. If he did he wouldn't have buried 5 shootout goals against NHL level goaltenders.

But he is not going to be a 20+ goal scorer. If he brings 15 goals, 55 points, a Scott Gomez like production, he will bring enough to justify a role on this team. Espoecially if he gets more comfortable at the point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Doesn't matter what he did with Modo in the SEL. I don't care if he had 40g and 100pts in his season playing with Forsberg and Naslund. I don't care if he had 20g in the AHL before we called him up. The only thing that matters is his performance at the NHL level and he has proven he has great difficulty putting the puck in the back of the net. He has had tons of great chances throughout the season, including tonight, and can't find a way to FINISH.

Great play maker but thus far in the NHL he has displayed no finish. 3g in 30 games isn't going to cut it, sorry. He deserves the criticism for his inability to put the puck in the net. Young or not, players have to be held accountable for their shortcomings.

If he was half as good at scoring in regulation as he is in the shootouts he could actually be an impact player. But he isn't. It's nice to help us get an extra point in the shootout and all but in the playoffs... guess what? There are no shootouts. Teams actually have to score more than the other team to win.
I think Zucc will rack up a lot of points in his NHL career. However, it is quite obvious that he is snakebitten right now.

Thing is, he's one of the few guys that creates chances on a consistent basis. Noone on this team is scoring, so to pinpoint him as the problem really isn't fair. Especially when hes one of the few guys that is noticeable every game.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I think Zucc will rack up a lot of points in his NHL career. However, it is quite obvious that he is snakebitten right now.

Thing is, he's one of the few guys that creates chances on a consistent basis. Noone on this team is scoring, so to pinpoint him as the problem really isn't fair. Especially when hes one of the few guys that is noticeable every game.
I'm not pointing him in particular out, I am merely observing the fact that he has terrible problems scoring at this level, thus far. I think that is a fair assessment. If he can finish, he'd be one heck of a player.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote