HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Group VI UFA's

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2005, 04:11 PM
jt

vCash: 500
Group VI UFA's

I always enjoy Cory Brolund's work on free agency but can anyone give a definitive answer to whether he's right about whether these guys will be UFA's (or if Group VI will even still exist)?

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2005.html

Quote:
Group VI (unrestricted; a player who is 25 years or older, has completed three or more professional seasons and in the case of a player other than a goaltender has played fewer than 80 NHL games, or in the case of a goaltender has played fewer than 28 NHL games).
Scott Barney, (VI)
Noah Clarke, (VI)
Ryan Flinn, (VI)
Adam Hauser, (VI)
Tom Kostopoulos, (VI)
George Parros, (VI)
Joe Rullier, (VI)
Chris Schmidt, (VI)
Mike Weaver, (VI)
Thomas Zizka, (VI)

Old
07-25-2005, 01:36 PM
jt

Anyone....?

Old
07-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Captain Ron

With how liberal the free agency rules are now the Group VI system is probably no longer in affect. But, that is something that remains to be seen since none of us have had a chance to actually see the new CBA.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:58 PM
jt

That's a good point but "right now", the free agency rules are as strict as ever...that's actually what made me wonder about this. I assumed Group VI was gone but then Cory put it up and....

Old
07-25-2005, 02:21 PM
King Blazer

This is what I found in Jamie Fitzpatrick's review of the new CBA:

Unrestricted free agents will get younger. The minimum age at which a player can shop himself on the open market will drop through the first four years of the agreement:
- In 2005, 31 years old.
- In 2006, 29 years old or eight years of NHL service.
- In 2007, 28 years old or seven years of NHL service.
- In 2008, 27 years old or seven years in the NHL. The 2008 benchmark remains in place for the life of the agreement.

Players who are no longer consider "entry-level" but do not qualify as unrestricted free agents become restricted free agents when their contracts expire.

link: http://proicehockey.about.com/od/the...cap_expl_2.htm

Not a link to the actual new CBA but it appears that the Cat VI may be gone in favor of a 3 step system...

Entry Level
RFA
UFA

I didn't see anything about a "defected players" Cat. in Fitzpatrick's review but I imagine they'd have to address that somehow???

Old
07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
jt

Thanks. It'll be interesting when we finally get a look at the CBA, but it does sound like Groups IV, V and VI are gone. I wonder if that makes Kariya an RFA or if they wrote something in there to make him a UFA?

Old
07-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Thanks. It'll be interesting when we finally get a look at the CBA, but it does sound like Groups IV, V and VI are gone. I wonder if that makes Kariya an RFA or if they wrote something in there to make him a UFA?
Even if he is an RFA I can't see colorado trying to sign him. Especially since they said they are not buying out any of their players. They are going to spend all of their effort (and money) trying to resign Foote and Forsberg.

Old
07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
jt

But if he's an RFA, you know what his QA would be? $957,600. How could they NOT keep him? (Other than the fact that he would be an awfully pissed off employee.)

Old
07-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
I think he will be a UFA because he wasn't qualfied or opted for UFA under the old system.

I told you a week ago IV-VI were gone. When are you going to start trusting me?

Old
07-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I think he will be a UFA because he wasn't qualfied or opted for UFA under the old system.

I trust you.

Last edited by Captain Ron: 07-25-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old
07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Good point. I guess the new rules will only apply to new RFA's and not RFA's that were unsigned.

Quote:
Hey now...you said you thought they were gone. If you'd said "they're gone" that'd be that and I'd have written it down as gospel (along with all the other kj inspired things I've written down and posted all over my "special room" at home).

Closed Thread