HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could we rebuild to contender in one year. Might only take one signing!

Old
03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Could we rebuild to contender in one year. Might only take one signing!

So this would involve the unlikely event of us signing Brad Richards. And that we have players that rebound from injuries and off seasons this year.

We sign Richards for a large contract (outbid others on salary). $40 million for 5 years. $8 million a season. Sign Anderson for a 3 year deal at $2.5-$3 million. Pick Landeskog and hope he can play 17-18 mins a night on a scoring line. Butler is for real. Alfie can play and be an effective player. Anderson is for real and plays like he did last year.

A lot of what ifs in terms of rebounds and prospects being for real but we would be full of youth and with the addtion of Richards he makes the PP so much better and also helps to make two linemates far more effective. Richards is in his prime and is not a questionable addition like Kovalev or Gonchar and we can easily afford the $8 million for several seasons with the number of Entry level contracts we would have.

Anyway this is not entirely unrealistic as a playoff team and contender:

Michalek - Richards - Butler
Landeskong - Spezza - Alfredsson
Silfverberg - Foligno - Regin
Winchester-Smith-Neil
Condra
Greening

Phillips-Karlsson
Kuba-Rundblad
Lee-Gonchar
Cowen
Carkner

Anderson
UFA Back-up or Lehner

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Carlton Orr*

Hmm, if Richards would actually come here, sign him, but i doubt he would want to play for Ottawa.

Carlton Orr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
I can't see us being a Cup contender with that many youngsters, especially on D.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
operasen

Even if not Richards you are on the track. Either 1st or 2nd centre is the biggest need now. The kids we are auditioning are looking like they will fit in nicely as well.

I do hope Murray or whomever does not go out and try to get three mid-level guys to soak up ice time and drive our young guns back down. For the rest of this year and into next Training Camp, I want to see what Butler, Condra, Greening, Silfverberg can do - even Svatos and Potulney

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Even if not Richards you are on the track. Either 1st or 2nd centre is the biggest need now. The kids we are auditioning are looking like they will fit in nicely as well.

I do hope Murray or whomever does not go out and try to get three mid-level guys to soak up ice time and drive our young guns back down. For the rest of this year and into next Training Camp, I want to see what Butler, Condra, Greening, Silfverberg can do - even Svatos and Potulney
Even going for a homerun UFA (or trade) for a top centre the following season would work. I don't want 2nd tier players. If we can get a top tier forward take him this year or next as we will have a cheap defence for a few years with EL Contracts and Kuba being off the books after next year.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Derivation

I am SO sick of hearing that name. If I hear that name mentioned one more time I'm jumping off my balcony.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
SensFan2010

Richards won't sign here.

/Thread

SensFan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post

Murray said today that the rebuild is around the kids, the ones we have seen and the new ones on the way. He also said there would be no more than one UFA, if any.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

vCash: 50
If fans are expecting this team to even be playoff contenders let alone cup contenders next season, then they are in for a complete utter disappointment.

03-02-2011, 01:18 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

So a team that consists of a minimum 5 rookies (Cowen, Rundblad, our 2011 1st, Silfverberg, and Butler- I say Butler only because it'll likely be his first full season with Ottawa) and potentially 2 more in the same boat as Butler (Condra, Greening) has a realistic shot at a contending?

You're delusional if you think that team has a shot at it all next season. Besides, we'd be setting ourselves up for cap disaster once all the ELC's run out and we've got 20-25% of our cap tied up in 2-3 players (Spezza @ 7, Richards @ 8, Milo @ 4.33)

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
If fans are expecting this team to even be playoff contenders let alone cup contenders next season, then they are in for a complete utter disappointment.
Im a horrible optimist I guess, but if Anderson plays like the Anderson of this year with us/last year with the Avs, and with us being in the East, and if we perhaps move onto an excellent more vet coach, I think we can make the playoffs, or at least fight for them to the end.

Tons of if's I know, and I'd be shocked if Richards leaves Dallas, my gut is he wants to be with them and something will get done.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Suiteness

Let's say Murray manages to find compromising pictures of Richards on the Internet and forces him to sign him as a result:

Michalek - Richards - Butler
Landeskong - Spezza Alfredsson

The centers look real good but these wingers are filled with question marks. For one, we don't know if we'll be drafting Landeksog and if we do, what do we expect out of an 18 year old forward?

Alfredsson will be 39! next year and he now suffers from chronic back problems on top of whatever problems that have been keeping him out of practice for most of the past two years. Not exactly the kind of guy you want in your top 6 if you're planning on contending.

Michalek is our forward version of Pascal Leclaire, we never know how many games we'll get out of him (We've had him for two seasons and he finished both on the IR). Again, is that kind of guy contenders are made out of?

Butler has looked good so far but can he handle a full 82 game season as a top 6 forward? He could but we don't know that just yet.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Jerrico

stop looking for shortcuts. This is a proper rebuild; we are going to suck for a few years.

Jerrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
I am SO sick of hearing that name. If I hear that name mentioned one more time I'm jumping off my balcony.
Which one? Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards, Richards,

guyzeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrico View Post
stop looking for shortcuts. This is a proper rebuild; we are going to suck for a few years.
but i dont wanna

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
pt_mck

The sens could be playoff contenders next year
if they had the right coach
if they had the right goalie
if they had the right top 6 F added
if they have an injury free year
if all the prospects...
if...

too many ifs went wrong this year simultaneously

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Iggy77

Only one way to get Richards to sign here.

Hire John Tortorella.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Richards will not sign here.
His target team is supposedly the Rangers.

Additionally... our forwards are AHL-level in depth right now. We aren't good enough to be a Contender, even with Richards, unless we pull a miracle run off.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Harbinger
Oppose and Disagree

I just want the team to play exciting hockey that we've been experiencing these past few days.

Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Im a horrible optimist I guess, but if Anderson plays like the Anderson of this year with us/last year with the Avs, and with us being in the East, and if we perhaps move onto an excellent more vet coach, I think we can make the playoffs, or at least fight for them to the end.

Tons of if's I know, and I'd be shocked if Richards leaves Dallas, my gut is he wants to be with them and something will get done.
I often wonder what it would be like to suffer the affliction of unbridled optimism. Obviously, I'm genetically predisposed from catching it. It amazes me that many of the people who last year had us pegged for the playoffs and beyond have learned nothing from our failings. They excuse our failings entirely to some sort of freak alien happenstance that stands no chance of repeating itself. Even though there are an enormous amount of question marks, they iamgine everything working out and coming together in a way that defies the odds. Power to you folk...

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
DG

That's a pretty bad team with good top-end centre depth, questionnable and inexperienced D and hit or miss goaltending ('10 Anderson or '11 with the Avs Anderson?).

Even with Richards, not a chance that team contends.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
JustinYS

Travis Yost seems to think that penciling Anderson into future line-ups is quite ridiculous at this point. Seems to believe that Anderson will not want to be with a re-building team (interpreting Murray's quote that Anderson wants to "look at the situation first"). Take it for what it's worth but seems quite possible.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
OgieO

Yeah, ummm, no.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
heat89

richards at 8 mill a year? no thanks man, thats nuts.

philly was able to do it by making smart moves, even then what happened to the flyers was the exception, not the rule.

we will not be a competitive team for another 2-4 years probably, even if we were hypothetically dumb enough to pay brad richards money like that i'd still bet he takes a lesser play for a contending team.

heat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Stassino

As great as Richards is he wouldn't be our #1 Center, he's not nearly as fast as Spezza and our first line is going to fly for the next few years, and isn't as good as Spezza in any area.. Just an overall great hockey player though and would lov ehim on this team.. But he also just got a concussion.. no way he gets more then 3 years from me..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote