HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
02-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
wouldn't that lineup be like 10 mil under the cap?
Not if Drury stays around next year, no.

Which is seeming less and less likely by the day now.

02-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Ola

This is what I think we should do. Its a 4 step process to shape up this team (you buy out Drury of course, I will not even mention that one in a 5th step. I also think you let Avery departure and dump Boogard.):

Step 1 -- turn center ice into a strength for us:
Action: Deal Gabby to LA for Schenn. Deal him for Schenn straight up if LA won't give up anymore.

Rationale: I personally do not believe in wing strong teams. Wingers can be awesome, but they come to their best in open games that are going back and forth. Centers just fits in better on the best teams so to speak, they fit the best on dominant teams.

Step 2 -- See step 1.
Action: If Brad Richards price drops after the concussion, jump on him. Like I've said several times before, Richards for a fair price is awesome for us (but I just do not believe in getting into a nuts bidding war for him, thats bound to turn into a disaster here in NY -- due to the additional pressure that is put on him if nothing else).

Rationale: See step 1. + PPQB presence.

Step 3. -- Get a PPQB
Action: Deal Artem Anisimov for a righthanded offensiveminded D. The best we can get. Lets say, for example, a vet like someone like Marek Zidlicky or a kid like Zach Bogosian or John Carlson. Id throw in even a first if we could get someone really good. But Zidlicky would be a decent option. Will get 40+ pts.

Rationale: We need someone who can move the puck out of our end, and a forward like Richards is not enough. We must get a offensive minded D. If nothing else to rescue MDZ, who if not developed in a horrible way, will become a awesome player for us in a few years. Marc Staal was trashed too by many just a few years ago...

Step 4 -- GET a wing who can score, carry some of the load, take the heat -- off the kids
Rationale: Look, kids can get the job done. But its dangerous to hang them out. You need a vet who can take the heat when things go south et c.

We need a vet wing. There aren't many available. Simon Gagne is a UFA. But he is so darn injury prone. There is one alternative who is available, who at first glance looks like a horrible option, but actually would fit the makeup of the team below pretty well, and when you look into him more -- isn't so bad.

Daniel Briere. His cap hit is 6.5m per and he have 4 more years left on his contract. But, in his last two years, he makes 3m and 2m per and can easily be off-loaded to anyone with financial problems. He scored 95 pts just 3 seasons ago, and is a nifty scorer and playmaker. 10% of your cap for a vet who will score like 70 pts is not that bad either.

He is far from a good option. But we would get him for free from Philly, he is experienced, he is clutch and he is -- available. Nobody else is. Quite frankly. And while it might not be a must in EA Sports NHL 2012, you need vets to take some of the heat of the kids in the real world. We cannot deal Gabby and expect guys like MZA, Schenn, Stepan, even WW and co to carry the team offensively, not even with Richards to lead the way. You need at least two veterans up front.

You gotta admit that I somewhat like Brieres edge too. He have faced a ton of critisism in Philly, but he is still very composed on the ice. He could definitely handle Torts, and Torts would like him.

LINEUP
1. Brandon Dubinsky-Brad Richards-Ryan Callahan //A solid 1st line, nothing spectacular, but would get by. Dubi and Cally would have to take the next step, and BR would help them at that.

2a. Dan "the man" Briere-Brayden Schenn-Ruslan Fedetenko//F-tank have been awesome for us. He would take care of the defense on this unit. Briere and Schenn could form a very dynamic duo. Briere is a perfect compliment to Schenn in every way. Thats, at the least, the type of environment you want to give for a rookie like Schenn.

2b. Wojtek Wolski-Derek Stepan-MZA//A unit that -- by next year -- could pass as a 1st unit on some nights, and when they struggle, get less ice time. MZA could really take another step next season. He is playing well. He aint like Prucha who were so clutch his first year, MZA is actually creating a lot more then what actually shows on the score board, in a pretty limited role. He will keep it up. So could Stepan.

3. Dale Weise-Brian Boyle-Brandon Prust

Staal-Zidlicky//Offense and defense.
MDZ-Sauer//Offense and defense.
McD-Girardi//McD still gotta develop some.

PP1
Briere-Dubinsky-Callahan
MDZ-Richards
PP2
WW-Stepan-Schenn
Zidlicky-MZA

Not next year, but in two years we could compete.

Result:
1. Extremely deep team.
2. With Briere, Richards and Zidlicky, for once our PP would not suck...
3. Very good potential at center ice. Richards, Stepan and Schenn.
4. Very good PK.
5. Very good goaltending.
6. Great defensive potential on the blueline.

Folks, thats a team that could contend in 2013-2015.

Last edited by Ola: 02-27-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:31 AM
UAGoalieGuy

What exactly are the Rangers trading for Briere? Where are Avery and Boogard?

And if the Rangers are trading Gaborik (Which they probably won't) they better be getting more then Schenn, who is one of the top prospects out there, but he is no sure thing.

Does Drury retire or get bought out? Does Redden walk away from his contract? I think that would be necessary for your scenario to work out with the summer cap.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 02-26-2011 at 08:37 AM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
What exactly are the Rangers trading for Briere?.
Up until very recently Philly have been prepaired to give him away. They have some guys to resign and are paying their goalies a combined 2,5m.

I do not know if things have changed, but the last two off-seasons they would have given him away.

Quote:
Where are Avery and Boogard?
Gone.

Quote:
And if the Rangers are trading Gaborik (Which they probably won't) they better be getting more then Schenn, who is one of the top prospects out there, but he is no sure thing.
I think he is a sure thing. He is not the next Stamkos, nor of course the next Malkin/Sid C. Nor like the next Sakic/Yzerman. But I think he can become a Mike Richards type of performer.

Quote:
Does Drury retire or get bought out?
Bought out.

Quote:
Does Redden walk away from his contract?
I think he is going to walk away in the fall (doesn't they get paid during the summer?), so it will not help us in that regard.

Quote:
I think that would be necessary for your scenario to work out with the summer cap
Nope.

Old
02-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Since all of the AHLers have been returned

Grachev(16)-$70,250
Newbury(20)-$55,107
Weise(25)-$70,564 based on Weise getting the $525,000 NHL minimum and get $70,000 AHL. Weise is a group II.

$195,921

The other AHL players are group II's or a group 6 like Kolarik. Toss up if they are qualified or re-signed. Duponts,etc. Wouldn't be that much money but every penny counts in the summer cap.

$4,954,430 in summer cap space BASED on the contracts projections for the group IIs and commitments for next season.

Sheldon who?
My projections for RFAs are slightly different than yours and I come up with $5,473,000 before taking out the two-way pro-rated pay. Of course, I also left McDonagh and Zuccarello fully on there, so it probably evens out. I also don't resign Gilroy and buy out Drury. This is based on the Cap staying exactly where it is too.

If Drury retires, we have room for Richards easy. If he doesn't and the team buys him out, it makes things more complex. I think they still try to sign him and sort out the details with the RFAs later.

Edit: Went ahead and used your pro-rated projections and came up with $6,536,893 with the Drury buyout and no Gilroy.

Last edited by Tawnos: 02-28-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

We shall see if Drury retires.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just a quick question and i dont feel like going through this entire thread to find the answer.

as currently constructed will we have any salary roll over to next year?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The whole Drury knee injury situation was on the hush hush from the beginning. No mention of any knee injury. Then Torts announced Drury was having his knee drained and was day to day. Drury didn't hurt his knee on any specific play. Torts called it "wear and tear". The knee drain did not solve the issue and had knee surgery. The Rangers never announced what type of surgery Drury had. What's wrong with the knee? The Rangers said Drury would be back within 4-6 weeks. He could play in the last 4 games of the season. Then Sather says Drury is out for the season. Won't return for the playoffs if the Rangers make them. Drury hasn't been around the team at all. You usually read about injured players hanging out with their teammates before and/or after practice.

In the meantime,Sather was looking at taking on money for next season. Souray. Kuba. Penner.

Is Drury's knee injury career threatening? He'll be 35 years old later this year. Broken hand. Concussion. Broke the same finger twice. Knee surgery. Major injuries suffered in the last 22 months.

Injured players can't be waived. To buyout a player,he has to clear waivers. Will Drury be healthy by June? Will he ever be able to play again?

Leaves one option.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Stepan2Dubi

Stamkos is a RFA ... Throw everything at him. Get him trade gabby pick up Richards. Resign McCabe cheap if you can. Then take it from there !!!

Stepan2Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
just a quick question and i dont feel like going through this entire thread to find the answer.

as currently constructed will we have any salary roll over to next year?
We are currently projected to have $1,097,761 cap space at year end. We know Prospal's 1.4 mil bonuses has been earned, so yes, barring some other cap saving move, we will be deferring at least 300k to next year.

It is unknown whether the other bonuses will be earned. If they are, then we will be deferring even more. The following players may or may not earn bonuses:

MZA $850,000
McD $425,000
Grachev $262,500
MDZ $212,500
Stepan $162,500
Weise $80,000

I seriously doubt either Grachev or Weise will earn their bonuses. And I would bet that Stepan will earn his. The others, who knows. Maybe they have to play 70+ games or be on the roster for a certain number of days.

I'm guessing that since no money was sent back in the McCabe deal, that they aren't worried about it, and already know which bonuses will and won't be earned.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Vitto79

So would this lineup fit under the cap?

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolskii, Anisimov, Callahan
Zuccarello, Stepan, Boyle
Avery, Christensen or cheaper UFA C, Prust
Boogaard

Staal, Girardi
Mcdonaugh, Sauer
McCabe( 3 million/1 yr )Del Zotto
500K Dman or just go with 6 and call up guys like Kundratek, Vtank when needed

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Ola

Quote:
The whole Drury knee injury situation was on the hush hush from the beginning. No mention of any knee injury. Then Torts announced Drury was having his knee drained and was day to day. Drury didn't hurt his knee on any specific play. Torts called it "wear and tear". The knee drain did not solve the issue and had knee surgery. The Rangers never announced what type of surgery Drury had. What's wrong with the knee? The Rangers said Drury would be back within 4-6 weeks. He could play in the last 4 games of the season. Then Sather says Drury is out for the season. Won't return for the playoffs if the Rangers make them. Drury hasn't been around the team at all. You usually read about injured players hanging out with their teammates before and/or after practice.

In the meantime,Sather was looking at taking on money for next season. Souray. Kuba. Penner.

Is Drury's knee injury career threatening? He'll be 35 years old later this year. Broken hand. Concussion. Broke the same finger twice. Knee surgery. Major injuries suffered in the last 22 months.

Injured players can't be waived. To buyout a player,he has to clear waivers. Will Drury be healthy by June? Will he ever be able to play again?

Leaves one option.
If I had seen more mob-movies I probably would have interpret that like you were suggesting something...

Seriously though, you mean that he will retire? Is there a incentive for him to retire? Instead of just playing out the contract.

Old
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So would this lineup fit under the cap?

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolskii, Anisimov, Callahan
Zuccarello, Stepan, Boyle
Avery, Christensen or cheaper UFA C, Prust
Boogaard

Staal, Girardi
Mcdonaugh, Sauer
McCabe( 3 million/1 yr )Del Zotto
500K Dman or just go with 6 and call up guys like Kundratek, Vtank when needed
It does if Drury retires. If we buy out Drury the McCabe signing makes it a bit harder. And quite frankly McCabe in his own zone was a disaster last game. Not ready to give him an extension yet.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Injured players can't be waived. To buyout a player,he has to clear waivers.
Players with NMC don't have to be waived to be bought out because they can't be waived. Darcy Tucker is precedence.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Players with NMC don't have to be waived to be bought out because they can't be waived. Darcy Tucker is precedence.
What?

Quote:
(b)A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player,
whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict
the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to
exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC
hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3
hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The
Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or
reject that option at his sole discrection, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in
accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24)
hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed
rejected.
Paragraph 13(f)
Quote:
Waiver claim of Player by another Club shall pre-empt and relinquish Club's Buy-Out obligation, due to failure to clear Waivers.
When players get bought out,clearing waivers is part of the process.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
azrok22

Quote:
What?

Paragraph 13(f)

When players get bought out,clearing waivers is part of the process.
The player has the option of being placed on waivers prior to the buyout, but the NMC does not prevent a team from buying someone out.

Quote:
Because Tucker's contract included a no-movement clause, Tucker had the option of either going on waivers or not. He chose not to and thus becomes an unrestricted free agent.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241569

Better explanation here [a hockeybuzz link to a Howard Berger article -- not Eklund]:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15648

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
The player has the option of being placed on waivers prior to the buyout, but the NMC does not prevent a team from buying someone out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241569

Better explanation here [a hockeybuzz link to a Howard Berger article -- not Eklund]:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15648
Wasn't aware of the Tucker scenario.

The CBA doesn't have one example of the Tucker scenario.

11.8(b)refers to Paragragh 13 of the SPC which deals with buyout process. Nothing about the player with the NMC rejecting waivers and becoming a free agent.

Old
03-04-2011, 07:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the Rangers traded Sean Avery,the Stars and the acquiring team would share the cap hit.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Hypothetically, if you had the option of choosing between Parise and Richards this summer (for roughly the same cap), who would you take?

I ask because it looks like Richards is heading for UFA, and in looking at NJ's salary cap numbers, they have about $1 M in cap space and very few contracts (mostly sub $1 M players) expiring this summer, I don't know how they can afford to resign Parise (looks like they could be targets of an offer sheet).

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Leetch66

Pulling a guy from your most hated opposition could render some dangerous consequences down the road...who is to say that the shoe might be on the other foot eventually and we all know payback is a B**** !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Hypothetically, if you had the option of choosing between Parise and Richards this summer (for roughly the same cap), who would you take?

I ask because it looks like Richards is heading for UFA, and in looking at NJ's salary cap numbers, they have about $1 M in cap space and very few contracts (mostly sub $1 M players) expiring this summer, I don't know how they can afford to resign Parise (looks like they could be targets of an offer sheet).
Richards doesn't put us down 4 first round draft picks. That is a pretty big price to pay.

Old
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Richards doesn't put us down 4 first round draft picks. That is a pretty big price to pay.
Sorry I wasn't clear. This is assuming he is a UFA (I believe he's arbitration eligible, so this would be if the arbiter sets the price at higher than NJ can afford).

Would you rather have Parise or Richards (for the same price tag), assuming both are UFAs?

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. This is assuming he is a UFA (I believe he's arbitration eligible, so this would be if the arbiter sets the price at higher than NJ can afford).

Would you rather have Parise or Richards (for the same price tag), assuming both are UFAs?
In that case, sign me up for Parise.

One of my favorite players in the league. But he won't be going anywhere unless he refuses to sign a contract with NJ, and hopes to get offer sheeted. Otherwise NJ will make room.

Old
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Vitto79

if Richards retires I vote for signign a PP QB Dman like Pitkinen with the shopping money........the next Drury and Avery are off the books so it opens up money for a C

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 01:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Step 3. -- Get a PPQB
Action: Deal Artem Anisimov for a righthanded offensiveminded D. The best we can get. Lets say, for example, a vet like someone like Marek Zidlicky or a kid like Zach Bogosian or John Carlson. Id throw in even a first if we could get someone really good. But Zidlicky would be a decent option. Will get 40+ pts.

Rationale: We need someone who can move the puck out of our end, and a forward like Richards is not enough. We must get a offensive minded D. If nothing else to rescue MDZ, who if not developed in a horrible way, will become a awesome player for us in a few years. Marc Staal was trashed too by many just a few years ago...

Step 4 -- GET a wing who can score, carry some of the load, take the heat -- off the kids
Rationale: Look, kids can get the job done. But its dangerous to hang them out. You need a vet who can take the heat when things go south et c.

We need a vet wing. There aren't many available. Simon Gagne is a UFA. But he is so darn injury prone. There is one alternative who is available, who at first glance looks like a horrible option, but actually would fit the makeup of the team below pretty well, and when you look into him more -- isn't so bad.
I Agreed with most of this except the Artie part is horrible. Artie for Zidlicky? Not so sure about Bogosian or Carlson either. If you trade Artie you should prob get something a bit better than that. You are much much much better off letting Artie develop than getting a puck mover. What AA brings is so much more valuable and his contributions are only going to grow. You need something a bit better and a lot more concrete than Bogosian and Carlson. Realistically you won't get it for AA straight up but that's why you don't get rid of him...you won't get fair value.

Getting a wing is good. It would normally be like "well you traded Gabs isn't that counter to this step?" But gabs is a question mark right now so getting a consistent vet would be good. I feel one of our current teams biggest issue if not the biggest is the lack of consistent vets. our guys may develop into consistent vets on their own (Some pretty much have) but it'd be nice to have one

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote