HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2011, 12:06 AM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
If Green has another terrible playoffs why wouldn't they?
You would think, but not necessarily so. He has the skills and size to put it all together other than just be an offensive force. I'm sure if the Caps were offered a ridiculously good package for him, they would take it. I imagine even with horrible playoff, his value would be extremely high. Having Hannan around this year should teach him more defensive hockey. The only way I see him ever getting traded is if his production completely falls off or he expects more money after his current contract. Personally, I keep hoping for his more defensive side to break out. If he ever puts the whole package together, he could be one of the all time defense greats.

Old
03-02-2011, 12:07 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
This thread needs more...

03-02-2011, 12:10 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
a 0-0 first period. what a surprise
I had to lol at this. It ended up being a good come back and I imagine lots of emotions going on with the new additions. I can't wait to see how they all work out during the stretch and we get those key injured guys back.

Old
03-02-2011, 01:31 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

ridiculous..and way to sell high on a guy.

Old
03-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Kegger

Not even going to waste my time going back 3 pages on this thread. I can't even believe this is being discussed...

Old
03-02-2011, 06:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Not even going to waste my time going back 3 pages on this thread. I can't even believe this is being discussed...
it seems to be a train of thought. it starts with boudreau. many to most of the strident posters that want to dump boudreau also want to dump all things boudreau from the team. semin and green and sometimes schultz seem to be poster boys for the boudreau effect.

Old
03-02-2011, 07:23 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Trade Green thread on the TDL? A day late and dollar short with this idea.

We've got bigger fish in the frying pan right now.

Old
03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Puckfittsburgh

Send a message via AIM to Puckfittsburgh
If the Caps traded Green I could see him going on to win a cup. This town wanted Murphy and Gonchar gone too because of their contracts and/or style of play. Somehow other teams managed to win cups with them. I do not think history should repeat itself here. How about we win a cup with one now.

Old
03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckfittsburgh View Post
If the Caps traded Green I could see him going on to win a cup. This town wanted Murphy and Gonchar gone too because of their contracts and/or style of play. Somehow other teams managed to win cups with them. I do not think history should repeat itself here. How about we win a cup with one now.
Could not agree more...the idea is to get a stay-at-home guy (real one) to pair with them....here is where the Caps historically have been lack.

Old
03-02-2011, 08:41 AM
txpd

its funny, for all of this market's desire for elite players the general lack of support those players get compared to the blue collar/lunch pale players is palpable.

Old
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
IafrateOvie34

I know Murphy and Gonchar have Stanley cups and Murphy is Hall of Fame, but I wouldn't compare Green to them. He is better defensively than Gonchar could ever be. Green is really young and has a lot of untapped potential that could be better than Murphy or Gonchar. I hate even calling Gonchar a defensman. I have a feeling next year is Green's norris year, but that is a long way off . Hell, Green is just now entering his prime NHL years.

Old
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Threads like these make it pretty easy to know which Caps fans actually played hockey or know a thing about hockey thats for sure.
I think you need to wrap your head around the fact that this player has played poorly in the playoffs to this point in his career. History is filled with regular season players that cant produce nearly as well in the playoffs. I will agree he is too young to paste that on him forever....but to this point he hasnt proven that incorrect

He will also be due a raise, his salary wont be going backwards. If he wants a sizeable raise, and term, it would be foolish not to consider options.

People can debate how his defensive play has improved....but at this point he is still not a "good" defensive player.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckfittsburgh View Post
Perhaps later in his career or under a better coach. As of now he's done nothing but wilt in the playoffs. They need him to mature (or move him) if they plan on winning anything in the next 3 years.

Last edited by EroCaps: 03-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They need him to mature if they plan on winning anything in the next 3 years.
i would agree with this. this is the difference between the caps as they are and a cup ring already.

its pretty clear to me that green's skills matured much faster than his mental toughness. he did not respond well to being the game planned priority target of the opposition in the playoffs. pretty clear to me that the plan to slow the capitals down was to attempt to bury green. this also would tend to support the idea of removing green would be a mistake, but thats for another time...oh. thats this thread isnt it?

anyway.....green admits that yzerman got in his head and f'd him up in the worst way last playoffs. the combination of admitting that and telling bruce first off this season that he was going to fix that problem first means he is dedicated and focused in a professional way. he seems clearly unconcerned about his offensive stats.

if green has a big playoffs, the caps go far. if he brings squat, the caps go down in flames.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Trade Green thread on the TDL? A day late and dollar short with this idea.

We've got bigger fish in the frying pan right now.
Talking about the off season. I'll be the first one to ***** if his stat line is something like 4 points and a -7 in the first series.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
txpd

if green were -7 in a playoff series, he'd get run out of town. of course thats never happened before and i'd expect his game has developed past that. for the record green was 7pts -2 vs the Flyers, 9pts and even vs the Rangers, 4pts and -5 vs the Pens(-3 in game 7), and 3pts and +1 vs Montreal.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Is this for real? No. It is definitively NOT time to trade Mike Green.

Old
03-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Off-Season move

To start, Im an isles fan but ive been watching the Caps ever since OV was drafted. I buy centerice each year for this reason alone, so don't think im some random fan coming along to troll.

Supposing that the Caps have a less than satisfactory post-season and Green's play was either poor or Carlson just out-preforms him, is he potentially moved?

And how would the NY Islander '12 1st rounder, DeHann, + be received?

If its horrible, be nice please. Tweak as needed but TAVAREZ++ is just silly.

Old
03-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

I'm not opposed to moving Green, though some here might not even consider it.

Tbh I'm not exactly sure what we would want from the Isles, if anything. Okposo + would make some degree of sense, assuming a guy like Tavares is untouchable.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Offering the Capitals futures is a non-starter. I get that the Islanders' top assets are in futures right now, but that doesn't change the fact that the Capitals are trying to win now.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:24 AM
piercehannigan

I'm all for moving Green. We've switched to a more defensive system, so pretty much if we don't go back to last year's style of play, then Green is a non-factor. All he had going for him was scoring.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:30 AM
amjay13

I am not against trading Green however this off-season would not be a good time as his value is at its lowest point in the past 4/5 years.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehannigan View Post
I'm all for moving Green. We've switched to a more defensive system, so pretty much if we don't go back to last year's style of play, then Green is a non-factor. All he had going for him was scoring.
I take it you haven't watched a Capitals game the past 2 seasons. Green has improved his defense and has always been a one man breakout out of the defensive zone.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:33 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehannigan View Post
I don't mind moving Green either but not for that reason.

I think Green could be fine in this system. I'm just worried if his price tag with that injury risk is going to be worth it. I think if the Caps can make Wideman long term, then Wideman, Carlson, Orlov would be 3 nice puck moving guys to pair with Alzner, Schultz, and whoever (Hannan please).

Green hasn't been horrible defensively but he has been hit pretty hard often in his young career and I think the injuries are just going to a consistent issue with the guy.

It's tough to say if the Caps would move him though, they don't like to mess with off-ice chemistry. If Green performs poorly in the postseason though I guess they could use it as an option to send a message to the rest of the guys.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:36 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Offering the Capitals futures is a non-starter. I get that the Islanders' top assets are in futures right now, but that doesn't change the fact that the Capitals are trying to win now.
How is offering futures for Green a non starter?

How is the Caps D performing without Green right now? Exploring exchanging that for futures makes a lot of sense to me.

Closed Thread