Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Professor Pickles

vCash: 500
Isn't the northern Illinois area getting a little crowded?

Old
02-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Prussian_Blue

Anywhere in Chicagoland -- Schaumburg, Naperville, Batavia, Hoffman estates, Elgin -- is too far removed from the rest of the league for an FHL club to have any kind of success off the ice there. Their travel budget will have to be twice that of any other club in the league.

This may well be a matter of trying to steal a market before a rival league (the NPHL) gets into it.

My guess is that it's going into the Fox Valley Ice Arena in Batavia. It's a nice, fairly new facility that has multiple ice sheets and is pretty conveniently located on a major thoroughfare (Kirk Road at Fabyan Parkway), and IIRC a NAHL team played out of there not so long ago; Jason Bacashihua played for them.

Old
02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Good point, I always thought the Icenter in Salem, New Hampshire could field a team with its decent sized rink. I believe capacity is around 1200. Photo of The Icenter below.There is also seating behind the net.

The NEPHL was going to have a team here in Salem but the league folded before it started, except for the NY Aviators and Rhode Island Storm.
Rhode Island would be a good place to go if they almost had a team. It would be a closer rival for Cape Cod if they are back next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Anywhere in Chicagoland -- Schaumburg, Naperville, Batavia, Hoffman estates, Elgin -- is too far removed from the rest of the league for an FHL club to have any kind of success off the ice there. Their travel budget will have to be twice that of any other club in the league.

This may well be a matter of trying to steal a market before a rival league (the NPHL) gets into it.

My guess is that it's going into the Fox Valley Ice Arena in Batavia. It's a nice, fairly new facility that has multiple ice sheets and is pretty conveniently located on a major thoroughfare (Kirk Road at Fabyan Parkway), and IIRC a NAHL team played out of there not so long ago; Jason Bacashihua played for them.
Batavia would be a better location. I just chose Schaumburg because they were relatively close to Chicago where hockey is huge, and the size of the city is excellent for a minor pro. I have never been to Illinois myself.

Old
03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
billycanuck

New Vermont Team Announced.....

Say hello too....

The newest member of the Federal Hockey League. And where are they playing? At a ski resort in Northern Vermont. Thats right the Rock Crushers will be playing at Jay Peaks Resorts new arena Ice Haus Arena

Seating capacity is.... 400

The nearest town is Jay, with a population around 500. Thought the league was looking for rinks with 1500? I am wondering if the ski resort will be fitting the bill for this team? Could be a nice entertainment option after a day of skiing/snowboarding. But can't see this surviving.

Old
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Say hello too....

The newest member of the Federal Hockey League. And where are they playing? At a ski resort in Northern Vermont. Thats right the Rock Crushers will be playing at Jay Peaks Resorts new arena Ice Haus Arena

Seating capacity is.... 400

The nearest town is Jay, with a population around 500. Thought the league was looking for rinks with 1500? I am wondering if the ski resort will be fitting the bill for this team? Could be a nice entertainment option after a day of skiing/snowboarding. But can't see this surviving.
People don't go to ski resorts to watch hockey, espcially in a 400 seat "arena".

Old
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
People don't go to ski resorts to watch hockey, espcially in a 400 seat "arena".
Plus it interferes with night skiing!

Old
03-03-2011, 07:11 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
Plus it interferes with night skiing!
I just read on another article the capacity with be 700 now. Still not enough to be financially viable. Are the players going to get jobs on the resort so they can earn some money?

Don't get me wrong, Jay Peak is a nice, well run resort, anytime you are Vermont check it out, but 'pro' team on a ski resort? Maybe the FHL is seeing something we aren't. Time will tell.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
I just read on another article the capacity with be 700 now. Still not enough to be financially viable. Are the players going to get jobs on the resort so they can earn some money?

Don't get me wrong, Jay Peak is a nice, well run resort, anytime you are Vermont check it out, but 'pro' team on a ski resort? Maybe the FHL is seeing something we aren't. Time will tell.
Sounds like the plot to a National Lampoons movie.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
billycanuck

New Illinois team

Not sure how true these rumours are, but hearing that Barry Soskin may by involved and the team will be located in Danville.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Federal Hockey League keeping a close eye on Lewiston
Published on: 3rd March, 2011 by Chris Roy
Quote:
With all the uncertainty surrounding the Lewiston Maineiacs future, the Federal Hockey League is watching the situation closely and waiting to see what the Maineiacs next move might be.
LINK>>>

Old
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post

LINK>>>
How about a summary of "the issues in Lewiston" for those of us who haven't been following the situation all that closely.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post

LINK>>>
4 tickets just landed on my desk to the Moosheads vs Lewiston game tonight. Coincidence?

Great article, but pipe dream for the FHL.
Quote:
The Maineiacs currently occupy the 3,650 seat facility, and according to Jim Cain, President of Firland Management, owners of the Colisee, the Maineiacs have several years left on an existing lease, however, have received inquiries from other leagues.
So lets see this, a 3650 seat facility in a league that just put a franchise in a rink with a MAX capacity of 700!

Quote:
The FHL, which plays a 60-game schedule that runs from November until March, is considered a Single-A professional league that is on par with the SPHL
No, the FHL is not on par with the SPHL. I would classify the FHL as a Tier 2 Single 'A' league and the SPHL a Tier 1 Single 'A'. The quality of players in the SPHL is better than the quality in the FHL. Just look at rosters and compare attendance.

Not too mention, fans would quickly realize that the on-ice product is below the QMJHL.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:19 AM
billycanuck

1 more point to add to the FHL on par with the SPHL. If the league is on par with the SPHL then why does the league announce players that have been recalled to the SPHL?

Seems if a league is the same of level of another league, then why would players get called up to that other league? You don't see the CHL 'pulling up' players from the ECHL, and the ECHL signing 'emergency back ups' from the CHL do you? Unless of course those players are assigned by an AHL or a NHL team, you won't see this happening.

The FHL is not on par with the SPHL. IMO, the FHL is a double bogey.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Upcoming Press Conferences

Green Mountain Rock Crushers
Wednesday March 9th at 2 PM
Ice Haus Arena at Jay Peak
Route 242
Jay, VT

Team Illinois - Press Luncheon
Tuesday March 15th at 11:30 AM
David S. Palmer Arena
100 W. Main St
Danville, IL

Old
03-08-2011, 06:37 AM
billycanuck

Napanee, Ontario says NO to FHL

http://www.napaneeguide.com/ArticleD...aspx?e=3009183

Quote:
A special meeting between town councillors and Napanee Raiders (local Jr.C Team) officials helped kill any chance of the Federal Hockey League icing a team in Napanee next season.
Quote:
Raiders officials became worried when they heard the Federal Hockey League was looking for an owner to pay a $50,000 expansion fee and handle a roughly $300,000 yearly budget for a new team in Napanee.
Quote:
The Federal Hockey League currently has six teams, five in the United States and one in Akwesasne, a Mohawk Territory near Cornwall, Ont. It hopes to double the number of franchises for next season, its second year of operation.
Looks like the FHL is adamant about putting more franchises in Canada. With the location of the Vermont team so close to the Quebec border, you have to wonder if the league is looking to set up its own LNAH division in the future?

Old
03-08-2011, 06:48 AM
billycanuck

Attendance woes in Akwesasne

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=3008483

Quote:
He gets it, about Game l, when the announced gathering was 453. The Colts played at home against Pembroke that night, and the popular high school team in Hogansburg, the Salmon River Shamrocks, had a game too.

But three days later, the crowd got even smaller -- listed at 371 on a Sunday night.

In fact, there were about 150 people there.
That is not good for a team that just punched their ticket to the FHL finals. Anyone in that area see if the that team does much marketing?

Old
03-08-2011, 07:15 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

That is not good for a team that just punched their ticket to the FHL finals. Anyone in that area see if the that team does much marketing?
The probleam is there is just to much play off hockey going on now all with in a hour drive.

Old
03-08-2011, 07:45 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
The probleam is there is just to much play off hockey going on now all with in a hour drive.
Very true. Will the franchise survive in the long run with it being so isolated? They should see some increase with them reaching the finals, but long term, I don't think so. Unless Basem has no problem losing cash every season.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Very true. Will the franchise survive in the long run with it being so isolated? They should see some increase with them reaching the finals, but long term, I don't think so. Unless Basem has no problem losing cash every season.
I can't see them lasting long term if they were to move to say cornwall they woud fair much better.

Old
03-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
i heard some rumors about a merger between AAHL and FHL, could that be something?

Old
03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

I think you'll see more of the FHL welcoming in Battle Creek and Chi-Town (maybe) than the leagues actually merging. Not much to a 2 team league worth merging with.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:

They have posters up at a variety of locations in Cornwall. I mean they put one up at the license bureau (because you go there daily). The media doesn't cover the Warriors too much because it isn't Cornwall's team. They are Akwesasne's team. They play in the same building as the Jr. B Akwesasne Wolves. It is a pain to get to a game on the island because you have to pay a toll. Then you have to drive down streets that are barely paved. I am still shocked that they put a team in Akwesasne.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
I think you'll see more of the FHL welcoming in Battle Creek and Chi-Town (maybe) than the leagues actually merging. Not much to a 2 team league worth merging with.
They are creating a league where it is becoming increasingly more expensive to travel. This league will never make money if the teams are going to be dishing out a lot of money to drive all over North America. They will probably try to expand in Texas next (jk).

Old
03-09-2011, 05:45 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
They are creating a league where it is becoming increasingly more expensive to travel. This league will never make money if the teams are going to be dishing out a lot of money to drive all over North America. They will probably try to expand in Texas next (jk).
I expect the league to have a eastern conference and a western conference next year where they try to play as many games as possible in their conference. Travelling from Cape Cod and Vermont to Illinois is going to drastically increase travelling expenses this year. I don't believe that the teams will have operating budgets of $300,000 like the league is claiming. Trips that far will eat up travel budgets that already include payroll for players, payroll for staff, housing, and equipment.

Unless the league will cover travel expenses, teams bringing in 400 fans won't survive.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Windstorm

Green Mountain Rock Crushers... I don't know what to think about them. It's an interesting idea to put a hockey team on a ski resort, but I'm not sure how well it will work without a solid population. I guess they're counting on people driving from Jay, but it's a small town and still around 20 minutes away. The 400 seat arena is clearly an issue if they want to make any money, but I have to wonder whether they can even fill it.

Anyways, I wish the team nothing but success and will be watching to see how everything turns out. It's nice to see the FHL is having a fairly stable first year. Hopefully these expansion teams work out and don't end up folding mid-season.

Closed Thread