HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

If Vokoun is signed

Old
03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by base View Post
Feel free to suggest someone over 30 who is better than what we have, won't cost more than he is worth, and available.
Hint: his name is in the thread title.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan16 View Post
I'm sick of this whole "re-build" thing. I understand we're a young team and our players are going to take time to develop, but what's wrong with trying to win right now? People act like signing someone over the age of 30 is going to kill this team's re-build. Why not take a chance on an already proven goalie?
Well, for one, the team stinks.

For two, I don't think anyone thinks signing a player over 30—and Vokoun is 35 in July—will "kill" the rebuild. Just that it's illogical to invest heavily in a player who's in the final few years of his career when the rest of the team isn't going to get the most out of him.

The Avalanche need veterans. Not so much a 35 year old goalie, though.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Sitch

vCash: 500
If the Avs do go the way of signing a UFA goalie, they don't really have many options. Really the only goalies that may hit the market that are worth going after are Bryzgalov, Vokoun, Roloson, and Giguere. Bryzgalov is probably going to be locked up long before July 1st. I really doubt Roloson, if he decides to play another year, wants to play for the Avalanche instead of making a run for a cup. The same can be said for Vokoun. He is over 35, so the Avalanche will probably be weary of signing him to a multi-year deal and thats probably what he will want if he chooses to sign with a re-building club instead of a contender. Giguere may have been the most realistic option, but with his recent injury, its not known whether he would actually be able to do any better than Elliot or Budaj. I have a feeling we aren't going to see any new goalies in an Avalanche jersey after this off-season.

I'd much rather the Avalanche go after Brewer this season anyway. He would definitely help us out defensively. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen either so next season will probably be a long one.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I still want to go after Bernier. Have him and Pickard as #1 & #2.
Eh, Bernier will be seriously expensive to attain. Until we know where Pickard is going to top out at, I don't see a reason to go after another young goaltender who will cost us an arm and a leg. Someone like Vokoun or Bryz will give us a legit #1 goaltender for the next 3-4 years until Pickard will be ready to take over.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
Eh, Bernier will be seriously expensive to attain. Until we know where Pickard is going to top out at, I don't see a reason to go after another young goaltender who will cost us an arm and a leg. Someone like Vokoun or Bryz will give us a legit #1 goaltender for the next 3-4 years until Pickard will be ready to take over.
Don't believe in the fans and overrating goaler prospects. He WILL get less than what Halak got.

If Bernier is not available, I agree with your proposal.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan16 View Post
I'm sick of this whole "re-build" thing. I understand we're a young team and our players are going to take time to develop, but what's wrong with trying to win right now? People act like signing someone over the age of 30 is going to kill this team's re-build. Why not take a chance on an already proven goalie?
It just happens that this summer is probably one of, if not the weakest UFA class since the modern age of UFA. I think the odds are very good that the Avs go after an older bottom 2 line player or two on reasonable deals, but given who is out there on the UFA market, there are really not really a top shelf player, other than Richards, on the market. Might be one of those 2nd/3rd line tweeners out there like Leino that the Avs go after, but with Mueller and possibly Flash, that is enough of that type of player.

No sense over committing to a guy that won't lift the team more than what they may already have.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:34 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
What the **** is everyone's obsession with this guy?

He was great 2-3 years ago, but hasn't been all that amazing since.

I mean, if we are going to get anyone as a UFA, it's Bryz. That guy can flat out win you games.

But if it's not Bryz, then it's going to be nobody.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:39 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

I mean, if we are going to get anyone as a UFA, it's Bryz. That guy can flat out win you games.

I pretty much agree with you. The only thing is, I think Vokoun could be a stable stop gap for the team, he won't win you too many games on his own, but he also won't lose you games like our goalies have this year.

Bryzgalov would be an amazing, franchise changing pick up. We can only hope that Phoenix really screws up their relationship with him in the next couple months and the Avs are able to scoop him up.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:

Vokoun has been very consistent in the last few years, he just happens to play for a ****y team. If the avs do sign him, they'll make the playoffs no doubt.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:

uh, his stats over the last 3 years on not so great teams..

2011 .922% 2.55 GAA 5 SO
2010 .925% 2.55 GAA 7 SO
2009 .926% 2.49 GAA 6 SO

uh.... uh, umm.. I dont know how else to show how totally wrong you are.

oh, I know....

his save % the last 3 seasons are the 3 best years in his career. his shutout numbers the last 3 years are the 3 best. his GAA the last three years have all been below his career average.

er... ah...

oh, he has had a near .500 records on what have been bad to horrible teams the last 3 years. 69-73.

Oh, and the Avs starters numbers for comparison over the 3 year period

2011 Anderson .897 3.28 GAA 0 SO / Budaj .897 3.19 GAA 1 SO
2010 Anderson .917% 2.63 GAA 7 SO
2009 Budaj .899% 2.86 GAA 2 SO

Old
03-02-2011, 01:51 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
uh, his stats over the last 3 years on not so great teams..

2011 .922% 2.55 GAA 5 SO
2010 .925% 2.55 GAA 7 SO
2009 .926% 2.49 GAA 6 SO

uh.... uh, umm.. I dont know how else to show how totally wrong you are.

oh, I know....

his save % the last 3 seasons are the 3 best years in his career. his shutout numbers the last 3 years are the 3 best. his GAA the last three years have all been below his career average.

er... ah...

oh, he has had a near .500 records on what have been bad to horrible teams the last 3 years. 69-73.

Oh, and the Avs starters numbers for comparison over the 3 year period

2011 Anderson .897 3.28 GAA 0 SO / Budaj .897 3.19 GAA 1 SO
2010 Anderson .917% 2.63 GAA 7 SO
2009 Budaj .899% 2.86 GAA 2 SO
Fair enough, his numbers are fine.

But to that end, why the hell would a goalie like that want to come to the Avalanche?

He won't.

I don't know why people continue to talk about it.

He is an aging goalie who has never been close to winning in the postseason. He will end up with a team that is atleast NEAR winning. Not us.

Old
03-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:

But to that end, why the hell would a goalie like that want to come to the Avalanche?

He won't.

He is an aging goalie who has never been close to winning in the postseason. He will end up with a team that is atleast NEAR winning. Not us.
Money talks

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:

He won't.

A "winning" team won't be able to pay him market value... and the Avs should be able to market themselves as a playoff team minus a goalie, see last season. There is no doubt that the Avs will have to overpay to get him here... but they have the cap space and provide the promise of a #1 spot as long as he shows up with effort every night. Even with bad goaltending, the Avs were 5th in the west going into late December.

Of the contenders, the only ones with potential goaltending openings are Philly, Chicago, and possibly Tampa if you consider them contenders. Philly and Chicago will simply not be able to afford a 4.5-5.5 per year goalie.

The Avs have more than enough cap space and frankly could afford the cap hit for the next 2-3 years that Vokoun will command.

Old
03-02-2011, 02:04 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Hint: his name is in the thread title.
Ha! Well besides him, and I was mostly suggesting the forward crop. What ever, that post had too much ambiguity and too lazy to clarify.

Quote:

Quote:

He won't.

1. Stats are shown
2. If Bryz doesn't hit UFA, which he most likely won't, who else do you suggest that the team get without overpaying (i.e. getting Berni) as a solution for next season as a no. 1?

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by base View Post
Ha! Well besides him, and I was mostly suggesting the forward crop. What ever, that post had too much ambiguity and too lazy to clarify.

1. Stats are shown
2. If Bryz doesn't hit UFA, which he most likely won't, who else do you suggest that the team get without overpaying (i.e. getting Berni) as a solution for next season as a no. 1?
Honestly? I wouldn't be shocked one bit if it was a Budaj/Elliott combo next year.

Scary, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it happend.

As for Vokoun, what kind of deal do all you people expect he is going to get?

I just listened to Sherman on the radio, post deadline and he basically said that they aren't spending money on long term deals for people with the impending CBA expiration.

So are we going to give Vokoun a 1 year 7 million dollar deal?! Because, realistically, the guy isn't going to want a 1 year deal...but the Avs won't likely be willing to offer more than that.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 425
Quote:
Honestly? I wouldn't be shocked one bit if it was a Budaj/Elliott combo next year.

Scary, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it happend.

As for Vokoun, what kind of deal do all you people expect he is going to get?

I just listened to Sherman on the radio, post deadline and he basically said that they aren't spending money on long term deals for people with the impending CBA expiration.

So are we going to give Vokoun a 1 year 7 million dollar deal?! Because, realistically, the guy isn't going to want a 1 year deal...but the Avs won't likely be willing to offer more than that.
Well, what the Avs say and do are 2 seperate things...they say theyre not going to sign any deals past the CBA, but they offered a 2 year extention to Anderson during the offseason, which would have him signed 1 year past the CBA. Basically the Avs are always a wait and see because theyre so tight lipped about anything and do things out of the blue. Im also sure there is some pressure on Sherman to put a better team together, since KSE is going to want to make money off of ticket sales and such.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote