HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Seamless glass going away

Old
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Seamless glass going away

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Quote:
The six remaining NHL arenas with seamless glass are scheduled for a makeover in the offseason.

Sources tell The Dreger Report that Calgary, Montreal, Minnesota, Nashville, Colorado and Phoenix will have their end zone boards and glass retro-fitted to acrylic glass to comply with the rest of the league.

Acrylic glass is flexible and helps absorb the energy of a bodycheck, while conversely, the traditional glass system provides no energy absorption.

The decision to make the change, according to a source, was primarily based on NHL injury reports which show above normal injury rates in the six arenas without acrylic glass in the endzones.

The Predators, for one, says it's hopeful the change will make for a safer environment.

The heightened awareness of concussions in the National Hockey League is also believed to be a contributing factor in bringing all 30 teams in line.

This will come as good news for NHL players who have expressed concern with seamless glass buildings in the past.
Good. I recall too many serious injuries in seamless glass arenas.

(Obviously the Phoenix retrofit won't occur if the team moves, but this shows that "the plan" is they're remaining Glendale.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

The RBC Center actually just switched TO seamless glass in 2009 (on the sides, leaving acrylic glass in the endzones).

03-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

I vaguely remember an effort to replace the seamless glass in all arenas about the same time as the protective netting was implemented league wide. If I'm not mistaken, the netting took precedence and the league decided to put off replacing the glass as a result. Does that sound familiar to anybody else?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Confucius

They should do something with the camera holes in the glass. Someone a few weeks ago got their face tore open pretty good by one.
I just made it a link rather than spring a nasty pic on you. You've been warned.
http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/boyce_nose.jpg

Last edited by Confucius: 03-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Dogkota

Good move by the NHL. Unfortunately it's going to reduce some of the "personality" of some of the NHL buildings like the Bell Centre and Saddledome, but the homologation (for lack of a better term) of buildings will likely lead to more consistent play, less unexpected caroms, etc.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
They should do something with the camera holes in the glass. Someone a few weeks ago got their face tore open pretty good by one.
I just made it a link rather than spring a nasty pic on you. You've been warned.
http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/boyce_nose.jpg
Also, believe it was Theo Peckham of the Oilers who shot the puck through a camera hole. The ref couldn't see the puck on the ice and so gave him a delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass. The replay showed clearly where the puck went.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

(Obviously the Phoenix retrofit won't occur if the team moves, but this shows that "the plan" is they're remaining Glendale.)
Several NHL teams made the switch already. Vancouver used to have the seamless and are very fortunate to had made the switch because I would hate to have seen what would have happened to Hamhuis had the Canucks had seamless glass after Getzlaf hit him.

Why these remaining teams have seamless is beyond me? You should do everything possible to reduce concussions, should injuries, etc.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Skarjak

In an interview earlier in the season, Cammalleri wasn't in the best of moods and complained in front of the cameras about how our glass was the hardest in the league. I guess this may have played a role in all the injuries this team has gone through in past years. It's good that they're changing them.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
RobertKron

About damn time. The players have been complaining about the seamless glass causing injuries ever since it first started showing up in the 90s.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Thank god!

I remember when I was working up north and I went to a game in Cold Lake I believe. They were all proud because they had just replaced their boards and installed brand new seamless glass. I went up to it and gave it a good shove and it was like see through concrete.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
XX
... Waiting

Odd. The Coyotes, historically, have had few injuries in recent years at Jobing.com

Teams like Dallas, LA and Colorado have suffered much worse from injuries compared to the Coyotes.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Every arena should have glass like the Air Canada Centre (and several others)....where the low glass are long panes that have a lot of give.

This helps both the visibility of fans since less panes and supports are used and the give of both the panes and the supports reduces injures.

At the ACC I've leaned against the glass there and it leaned with me.....not much...but enough to tell that it cushions the blow of a hit against it.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Odd. The Coyotes, historically, have had few injuries in recent years at Jobing.com

Teams like Dallas, LA and Colorado have suffered much worse from injuries compared to the Coyotes.
If you have the study showing injuries and exactly what game they happened in....I'd love to see it.

A player can get smacked into the cement-hard seamless glass and nobody will notice any "injury" until several days later.

The less forgiving the surface the less forgiving the injury. Seamless glass doesn't give as much. Long short panes on the sides can help visibility for fans and also give a great cushion for players being hit into it.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:57 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
If you have the study showing injuries and exactly what game they happened in....I'd love to see it.
Doesn't take a genius to take a lot at the Coyotes # of man games lost to injury. It's pretty low. And furthering that I can't think of any off the top of my head that had to do with the glass. Maybe Kurt Sauer's re-injury.

Old
03-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Doesn't take a genius to take a lot at the Coyotes # of man games lost to injury. It's pretty low. And furthering that I can't think of any off the top of my head that had to do with the glass. Maybe Kurt Sauer's re-injury.
So...how many man games were lost due to injuries suffered at Jobing.com Arena?

How many were injuries suffered at Jobing.com Arena and not detected until a few days later?

How many visiting team players suffered injuries at Jobing.com Arena?

How many visiting team injuries suffered at Jobing.com Arena were not detected until a few days later?

You are right though...it doesn't take a genius.....just somebody that realizes things aren't as simple as looking at man games lost due to injury to the home team and assumed that is all there is to it.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:11 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

You are right though...it doesn't take a genius.....just somebody that realizes things aren't as simple as looking at man games lost due to injury to the home team and assumed that is all there is to it.
This is ****ing hockey. If the player doesn't explicitly 'get hurt' by either sitting out time or not returning to the game, it isn't an injury. We don't count broken fingers, sore shoulders and hangnails in hockey. Maybe you do, but I don't, and I'm sure those are not the types of 'injuries' that the NHL is concerned about as outlined in the article.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I am a little confused as to why the RBC Center would install seamless glass at a time when every other arena in the league removed or was in the process of removing it.

Am I correctly understanding which one seamless glass is (the bottom one)?

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:23 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Am I correctly understanding which one seamless glass is (the bottom one)?

Yes. Because each individual panel is not connected and there is a seem at the top they can flex independently. They don't act like a giant wall in unison when hit like seamless glass.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
This is ****ing hockey. If the player doesn't explicitly 'get hurt' by either sitting out time or not returning to the game, it isn't an injury. We don't count broken fingers, sore shoulders and hangnails in hockey. Maybe you do, but I don't, and I'm sure those are not the types of 'injuries' that the NHL is concerned about as outlined in the article.
Have you ever played the game?

Do you know that concussion symptoms don't always show up right away?

I'll kindly wait for an answer to BOTH of those questions.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:40 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Have you ever played the game?

Do you know that concussion symptoms don't always show up right away?

I'll kindly wait for an answer to BOTH of those questions.
Yes, and no ****. But this is professional hockey. There is an immense amount of money involved so it behooves teams to have trainers worth a damn. But you must know better! After all, you have a keyboard and an opinion.

I merely noted an oddity that the Coyotes have lost relatively few man games to injury, even compared to home teams that have the old glass, and you demand studies and numbers.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
How many of the man-games lost to injury had something to do with a concussion? How many for the teams you cited? Man-games in and of itself tells you nothing because it doesn't differentiate between head injuries, which are relevant here, and something like shattered ankles, which are completely irrelevant.

As a Pacific division fan, the announcers have talked about Phoenix as having notoriously dangerous glass for as long as they've had their new building.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Thepainter

I cannot believe anybody would have a problem or complain about this change. mod delete
This has been needed for the remaining arenas for a long time, and I am happy for the league since it will cut down on injuries.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 03-03-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: natd
Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:38 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
How many of the man-games lost to injury had something to do with a concussion?
The only 'concussion' I can attribute to the actual glass is Kurt Sauer's injury, but that was a pre-existing condition.

Quote:
As a Pacific division fan, the announcers have talked about Phoenix as having notoriously dangerous glass for as long as they've had their new building.
I've never heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps the Coyotes have learned to shy away from the glass and that is why they are unwilling to take as many hits at home. For the longest time, the Coyotes had a poor record at home but excellent road record (significantly so)

Old
03-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Prucha's concussion from the Neal hit last season had a lot to do with the glass not giving as much as well. When the glass can absorb more of the energy, it's dissipated in the glass moving and not dissipated a player's brain.

A couple of older articles referencing the glass in Phoenix specifically, including a former Phoenix player who said he had three concussions from the glass alone:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-95955225.html
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...9-concussions/

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:13 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

A couple of older articles referencing the glass in Phoenix specifically, including a former Phoenix player who said he had three concussions from the glass alone:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-95955225.html
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...9-concussions/
Hopefully you know that the Coyotes have since moved from AWA (now US Airlines Center) to Jobing.com arena in Glendale. Neither of those articles talks about the current arena. AWA was terrible and had enough sight-line problems as it was, so that may have been a factor in going with the seamless glass.

I don't particularly care one way or the other with regards to 'visibility' though. The old glass sounds better, if that matters.