HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers' cap space

Old
03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
Tallon mentioned he expected a couple of the Panthers top prospects to join the team next year. Gudbranson is obviously one of them, I wonder if he means Howden as the other top prospect.
No, he meant couturier as the other top prospect lol
In all seriousness though, its possible that's what he meant. I still don't think it would be a good idea to bring howden up this early. He's not going to light it up offensively with us. Nothing that we cant sign in ufa. Leave howden down for a couple more years.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:03 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
No, he meant couturier as the other top prospect lol
In all seriousness though, its possible that's what he meant.
I still don't think it would be a good idea to bring howden up this early. He's not going to light it up offensively with us. Nothing that we cant sign in ufa. Leave howden down for a couple more years.
ugh... that's a lot of pressure to put on a kid.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ugh... that's a lot of pressure to put on a kid.
Yeah but he's an elite offensive talent. Not only that, he's an elite defensive talent as well. He's one of the best all around draft prospects to come along in a long time. Its basically a given he'll be in the nhl next season. If stamkos, tavares, hall, seguin were all expected to make it and did, I see no reason why Cpututier shouldn't as well.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:42 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah but he's an elite offensive talent. Not only that, he's an elite defensive talent as well. He's one of the best all around draft prospects to come along in a long time. Its basically a given he'll be in the nhl next season. If stamkos, tavares, hall, seguin were all expected to make it and did, I see no reason why Cpututier shouldn't as well.
so you put him above those guys? or equal with? i've watched some highlights but haven't seen that much.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:15 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Are you saying we need to do all those things to be competitive? What you pick together is basically an All-Star team.

Also, regarding the whole Stamkos/RFA thing, I would hope that Tallon is a business man first, and wouldn't care about being seen as an *******.
First off, how do you think GMs do business? It's the old boys club, a fraternity of sorts. Doing something like that is spineless because it's only to spite a successful rival and we're only in a position to do it because we suck so badly. Businessmen are careful to maintain personal relationships and these relationships go into deals that are made all the time. It's a huge part of hockey. Trades aren't done NHL2011 style where you sit at a computer and offer up combinations of players that are either accepted or rejected.....

Second, I had a great post breaking down this "fantasy team" of mine but it got deleted when I accidentally refreshed my browser....but they're not even close to an allstar team. We're so far away from being a legitimate contender and it shows....what seems like an "allstar team" is actually a team that would simply be competing for a division title and in the 6th seed or better.

Stamkos and Richards are two legitimate first liners, Weiss, Booth and Gagne are 3 legitimate second liners, 2nd/3rd tweeners in Matthias, Bergfors, and Santorelli, and then bottom sixers in Skille, Carter, Reasoner, etc. That offense is great but as far as personnel, there are offenses in the NHL out there that are better than that, on several teams IMO i.e. LA, Detroit, Philly, Tampa, perhaps WAS when they're on, Vancouver perhaps, and San Jose.

On defense, Erhoff, Babchuk, and Kulikov are 3 legitimate top 4 dmen. Weaver, Garrison, Ellerby, Gud as a rookie, and Sulzer, are nothing more than bottom pairing or at best a #4 next season. That may change in the future as they have potential. Verdict---> a solid, good defense but nothing unheard of by NHL standards. A good enough defense to get into the playoffs if you have a good offense.

In goal, Vokie would be great but I'd even take a mediocre tendy for less and spread the money around up front on D and O. I know you were exaggerating but it's not an allstar team, more like a good NHL team that has a chance to win playoff rounds and do well. I think it just goes to show how far away we are from being there. It's going to take time, trades, and free agency signings. Only Booth and Weiss are legit top 6 guys now and we're going to need 6 top 6 guys before we threaten anyone. Santo's a tweener and should not be a top 6 guy on a good team since he's weak defensively and though he's creative with the puck and may emerge, he's still raw and not as strong on the puck as he should be.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:17 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
so you put him above those guys? or equal with? i've watched some highlights but haven't seen that much.
If Cooter makes the NHL next year, I wouldn't expect more than 15 goals and 35-40 points out of him max, and that would be an accomplishment for him. Big centers take longer to mature. Jordan Staal was the exception, not the rule, and he even took a while to come along after that first year where he surprised everyone.

Thornton and Lecavalier started out much more slowly and they're much closer to Couturier's style and potential than Tavares, Crosby, Ovie, and Malkin are. I think Couturier's going to take a few years before he becomes a force at the next level, if he does.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Tallon has a lot of work to do in the off-season, it's crazy to see it this way. Pretty bare cupboard:

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/FLA?year=2011

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Yeah, I do. He's a different kind of player than all those guys, very complete and doesn't have the flash, but he's still got the offensive numbers to back it up and he looked right at home at the WJC, not like an underager. He's mature beyond his years which you couldn't say for most of those other guys.