HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush Thread...

Old
02-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I totally agree with this thread, the kid has been great and shows maturity beyond his years.

But

If he has a rough patch next year he'll get the same ****ing retarded treatment Del Zotto now gets from many posters on here.

Its sickening.
That's the truth, can u imagine if mcd and sauer both hit the sophomore wall hard, judging by the DZ treatment I don't even want to see what people are going to be doing nd saying

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
That's the truth, can u imagine if mcd and sauer both hit the sophomore wall hard, judging by the DZ treatment I don't even want to see what people are going to be doing nd saying
I wouldn't worry about McD hitting a sophomore slump. Remember, the kid has played college etc, he's not some 19 year old rookie whos just getting a test of everything. Sauer also is not some 19 year old. He's been through the system and seen the ups and downs already. I think those two hitting a sophomore slump are the farthest from my worries right now.

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
I wouldn't worry about McD hitting a sophomore slump. Remember, the kid has played college etc, he's not some 19 year old rookie whos just getting a test of everything. Sauer also is not some 19 year old. He's been through the system and seen the ups and downs already. I think those two hitting a sophomore slump are the farthest from my worries right now.
I wouldn't be worried about sauer, but mcd I would more than I was about mdz, mcdonagh played college hockey which is significantly less games than del zotto played in the ohl; that's physically. Mentally i believe mcd is much more mature than del zotto and mentally I don't think he'll hit much of a slump.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I wouldn't be worried about sauer, but mcd I would more than I was about mdz, mcdonagh played college hockey which is significantly less games than del zotto played in the ohl; that's physically. Mentally i believe mcd is much more mature than del zotto and mentally I don't think he'll hit much of a slump.
McD is much less likely to hit a slump than Del Zotto was. Junior guys tend to have the problem if they come in at a young age. College guys do not. One of the benefits of college players.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
PensFreak

Pens fan here just wondering in McDonagh has still looked really good for you guy? He looked real solid in the game against us, I thought. Where do you guys see him ending up, 1st pairing, 2nd pairing?

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
Pens fan here just wondering in McDonagh has still looked really good for you guy? He looked real solid in the game against us, I thought. Where do you guys see him ending up, 1st pairing, 2nd pairing?
Probably a reliable #4 guy

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Its really difficult to say. He is so young and only about 15 games into his NHL career. His poise, skating and strength are all very good. Its all about if he can take another step with his outlet passing. Right now I would say he will be the Rangers 2nd pairing defensive defenseman of the future(because Staal will be the 1st pairing version) but if he can add some offense, say about 25 points or so a year, he will be pushing himself up into that next level.

Either way, he is going to be a solid, steady defenseman.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
2nd pairing until he proves otherwise.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
He has been solid pretty much every game he's been here, and he's continually improving. Optimistically, he could turn into a really good #2 defenseman, but more realistically, a Dennis Seidenberg type.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:31 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

the other thing about Sauer and McD is that they play solid defensive games. They could total 10 points combined and still play a great game and no one would harshly criticized them for it because they'd have "played their game" MDZ plays for less than 10 points AND plays bad D? Well, not only is he a liability, he's not even "playing his game" by playing/running the PP and putting up the points. Even if he totals 10 points and plays a defensively solid game, people will complain because that isn't the game he's supposed to play - that is to say, that's not the type of game we are expecting him to play. I just want to see him do whatever it is he needs to do to get where we all think he can get to. He's not gonna be Scott Neidermeyer anytime soon, but I think even a Tom Poti performance would be showing positive signs of progress.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
the other thing about Sauer and McD is that they play solid defensive games. They could total 10 points combined and still play a great game and no one would harshly criticized them for it because they'd have "played their game" MDZ plays for less than 10 points AND plays bad D? Well, not only is he a liability, he's not even "playing his game" by playing/running the PP and putting up the points. Even if he totals 10 points and plays a defensively solid game, people will complain because that isn't the game he's supposed to play - that is to say, that's not the type of game we are expecting him to play. I just want to see him do whatever it is he needs to do to get where we all think he can get to. He's not gonna be Scott Neidermeyer anytime soon, but I think even a Tom Poti performance would be showing positive signs of progress.
Tom Poti had 21 points in 38 games for BU when he was 20, Del Z had 37 points for the NYR's at 20.

BTW, Leetch's 2nd season he scored less points, was -18 and broke his ankle two weeks before the playoffs, I've seen rough sophomore seasons

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:56 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Tom Poti had 21 points in 38 games for BU when he was 20, Del Z had 37 points for the NYR's at 20.

BTW, Leetch's 2nd season he scored less points, was -18 and broke his ankle two weeks before the playoffs, I've seen rough sophomore seasons
I'm fine with waiting but if they are gonna bench/scratch him or play him under 10 minutes a night, he'd be better off getting top minutes in Hartford. If they actually play him, maybe just get him to concentrate on one part of his game till he can do that well. Whether it be defense or working the PP. I don't doubt that he can be good 4 seasons from now but you want to set him up for success so he can be great 4 seasons from now. I would prefer he develop into Scott Neidermeyer rather than Tom Poti. That may just be me.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:29 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Bump.

Been our best player the past few weeks. He's more impressive each and every game, and his offensive game is starting to show. God, this kid is gonna be a BEAST in his prime.

As good as Sauer has looked this season, McDonagh's first 20-odd games have been more impressive than Sauer's first 20-odd games.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:38 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
As good as Sauer has looked this season, McDonagh's first 20-odd games have been more impressive than Sauer's first 20-odd games.
And nearly as impressive as Staal's first 20. I don't think he will be as good as Marc, but he definitely has potential to be a #2.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:59 AM
chosen

Quote:
Zots was a brutal defender last year with good offense. This year the offense disappeared and the defense didn't improve. He may end up a good one but McD is already light years better defensively.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Dorado*

MDZ = Eminger V2.0 . Former late first round pick PMD that journeyed from team to team in search of his game . today a reliable 6-7 D man with some physicality . Mc Donagh a solid top 4 .... why so optimistic on Mc D and pessimistic on MDZ .... McD posseses a POWERFUL skating stride , MDZ = standing upright waddle stride . MDZ def thinks Offense Ok but at this level unless his skating improves he will be a journey man not the PMD we hoped . His biggish numbers came early and often last yr then disapeared down the stretch after teams got a look at him . It's a shame we cant morph Gilroy 's stride and abitlity to turn and lose a checker into MDZ's passing and better physicality .just my 2 c .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Saw so many Wisconsin games last season. McDonagh never played like this at Wisconsin. His confidence is at an all-time high. Mike Eaves used McDonagh and Jake Gardiner as a shutdown pair last season. Gordie Clark called McDonagh a "mini-Staal" last June. Rick Carpinello calls him Ryan McMonster. The Rangers(Clark) thought McDonagh could play in the NHL this season.

Brooks wrote this last March

Quote:
While not in on Wellman, the Blueshirts are paying close attention to defenseman Ryan McDonough and center Derek Stepan, two University of Wisconsin undergrads whose rights they own and who may opt out of school either after the season or the semester.
Quote:
Rangers personnel regard McDonagh, selected 12th overall by the Canadiens in the 2007 Entry Draft, as a stay-at-home defenseman who could challenge for a spot next year.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...6ICWu1N5r7JlGJ

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:43 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Well he's definitely playing like a 1st round draft pick. So is Sauer for that matter, who I think was supposed to go in the 1st if not for injuries, right? That's always good.

He's also slowly starting to get more offensive confidence, using his skating to get into good places to create scoring chances fluidly.

Also...don't you think it's a little...maybe a LOT premature, to compare a 20 year old MDZ to Steve Eminger?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:46 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Seriously. There's a name for the sophomore slump for a REASON.

No kidding McDonagh is light years ahead of MDZ defensively- McDonagh's one of the best skaters on the team and became a defensive d-man. MDZ has and will always be an average at best d-man with above average offensive capabilities.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Dorado*

Perhaps and I hope MDZ season is only q confidence issue and he turns out to be a 30-40 point PMD . As the 20 th overall and earlier projected to go even earlier than that (eminger was 12 I thought later ) . McD any offense in say the Girardi range would be a bonus in the future , but the fact that his skating power and ability to play up and close gaps and recover is what makes me optimistic about him . MDZ def thinks offense first which is what we drafted him for but with my two eyes I see only an average skater . Thats fine if he csn make good decisions and first passes , in time this may develop or may not .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:54 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
MDZ = Eminger V2.0 . Former late first round pick PMD that journeyed from team to team in search of his game . today a reliable 6-7 D man with some physicality . Mc Donagh a solid top 4 .... why so optimistic on Mc D and pessimistic on MDZ .... McD posseses a POWERFUL skating stride , MDZ = standing upright waddle stride . MDZ def thinks Offense Ok but at this level unless his skating improves he will be a journey man not the PMD we hoped . His biggish numbers came early and often last yr then disapeared down the stretch after teams got a look at him . It's a shame we cant morph Gilroy 's stride and abitlity to turn and lose a checker into MDZ's passing and better physicality .just my 2 c .

Never realised defensmen peak at 20 years old.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
blueshirt4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Never realised defensmen peak at 20 years old.
thats when their skills start to deteriorate

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
He's gonna be better than Marc Staal. I haven't been this excited about a player since we drafted...um...wow, never. McDonagh is incredible, the only prospect this pathetic system has coughed up that I'm really high on. I love how some people compare him to Del Zotto as if that's even debatable. McDonagh craps all over Del Zotto, who's overrated offensively by the way.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

mcdonagh and sauer make a SOLID 2nd pair to Girardi and Staals first pair

frankly those 2 pairs should be seeing about 45-50 minutes a night, with 10-15 minutes going to our 3rd pair.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I totally agree with this thread, the kid has been great and shows maturity beyond his years.

But

If he has a rough patch next year he'll get the same ****ing retarded treatment Del Zotto now gets from many posters on here.

Its sickening.
But McDonagh has had a much, much better rookie year than Del Zotto did. I know it's hard to compare because they're different players, but people talk about Del Zotto's rookie year as if he put up 80 points. He was ok.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote