HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA Free Agents

Old
03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
He is French, not Portuguese.
Has to be half portuguese, same as I.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Has to be half portuguese, same as I.
Not sure if you can tell from looking at the guy but;

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
He is French, not Portuguese.
Paris is probably the second city with most Portuguese people in the world, behind Lisbon. I have cousins that were born in France but they're still Portuguese. At worst Da Costa's father is portuguese but not his mother.

Edit: It seems that it might be farther than that... Oh well, still has a great name.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'd sign this guy just for his name

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
There are plenty of former NCAA free agents around the league that make a difference on their respective teams.

Just because 95% of the people on these boards know nothing about these prospects (myself included), doesn't mean that they are pointless to look at.

Thats exactly what these threads are for. To inform people who don't have the means to keep up with the NCAA.
I know that as much as you...

I was talking about undrafted NCAA players with the Habs.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'd sign this guy just for his name
Vaughan,Mike Connelly and Kelly Zajac all interest me,Scooter can really fly and score.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:46 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Sick name, along with Scooter Vaughan
I can here Bob Cole now, that Scooter can really scoot.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
googlymoogly

Nice story about Scooter
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michi...on-his-future/

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felkov View Post
Viktor Hertzberg
I thought Hertzberg was drafted last year. If you're right, I really hope we sign both of those guys.

I know the tread says NCAA free agents but I know absolutely nothing at all about the NCAA.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Chuck Lefley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I love that thread. Though I haven't had a chance to look at it that much this year, I'll make some research and come back to it.

I know though that some players can make a difference. As Montreal know, I was really high on Brad Thiessen. Guess who has the best GAA of the whole AHL right now. Might not mean that it will translate in the NHL, but I surely would mean that our AHL team would be in good hands, not that Sanford isn't a good goalie but with the injuries he seems to be having, with Delmas and Mayer that are not that reliable and depending what's the plans for McIntyre, I would concentrate our efforts in goaltending in the NCAA.

But I will come back with other names than the only already mentioned. I had already talked about Da Costa last year. The Connolly's, Polacek, Vaughan etc....But there are others. But the Habs HAVE to get more interesting UFA's than the ones we got. I mean, we all know how much interest we have over there, yet, we miss on a guy like Bozak and end up with Trotter....Not exactly a bad pick, but not at Bozak level either. We need to do better especially when we know how much time that is spend over there....To me, at the time, Thiessen was a MUST and can't miss Pro (again, maybe not NHL but you never know...). Not sure why we didn't made the best push for him especially when they had the chance to see him play while watching Quailer's progression.

Talking about NU....I know, they are not big. But I think highly of McLeod and McNeely. Good and interesting players that might have a fine Pro upside.
Yeah, let's all jump on the Tyler Bozak bandwagon, just like TSN and one of their questions tonight: " Is Tyler Bozak an a) 2nd line center b) a 2A center or c) 3rd line center"
Of course all the TSN sheep say " 2A center", which, of course, is saying he is a 3rd line center.

Oh...I forgot...Brian Burke OVERPAID to get him and gave him the same maximum rookie hit as Steve Stamkos ($875,000 salary and $2,825,000 bonuses).

So yeah, let's make sure we pay some undrafted college free agent MORE than the current cap hit of Andrei Kostistyn or James Wisniewski.

OR to put it in another context, let's pay Tyler Bozak over 4 TIMES the cap hit of P.K Subban.

Yep...that is really good cap and asset management.

Chuck Lefley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:21 AM
goon
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Stephan Da Costa- (rumors are he's going to return to the NCAA next year but has lots of NHL teams interested)
Yeah ok! I would be willing bet the NHL teams throw money at this kid...

goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Most of the top Q scorers weren't drafted :

Philippe-Michael Devos
Gabriel Lévesque
Ryan Kavanagh
Jonathan Audy-Marchessault
Etienne Brodeur
Guillaume Asselin
Alex Saulnier
Allain Saulnier

Any opinions on these players? Any other players from the Q that could be interesting?
Devos is a slick passer and great on the PP...I think maybe he plays a bit to soft for the NHL but worth a look.

Brodeur is a sniper and he plays like Gallagher but faster...in the Dumont mold. 199 pims the last 2 years.

Alex Saulnier is a very good 2 way center with ++ hockey sense. I think him and Allain are draft eligible so not FA. I would draft Alex 7th rd and invite Allain to camp.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Paris is probably the second city with most Portuguese people in the world, behind Lisbon. I have cousins that were born in France but they're still Portuguese. At worst Da Costa's father is portuguese but not his mother.

Edit: It seems that it might be farther than that... Oh well, still has a great name.
Yep same family name as me

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
neofury*

NCAA FA's are low risk high reward imo. A lot of the time those players are slept on because I believe scouts don't consider NCAA on the same level as the Q or OHL.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
Yeah ok! I would be willing bet the NHL teams throw money at this kid...
You are really going out on a limb there considering the talk in college hockey is that he's already had a lot of NHL offers since last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Vaughan,Mike Connelly and Kelly Zajac all interest me,Scooter can really fly and score.
Vaughan is interesting because he is a defensmen that was converted to forward this year. I wouldn't mind Connelly but out of the big 3 at UMD, I like Fontaine the best. Zajac I hear good things about but I haven't seen Union play, they just won the ECAC regular season title for the first time in the schools history.

Another guy that I like is Chay Genoway. He's undersized and has had injury problems the past two years but could be a very good AHLer imo.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:48 AM
RE-HABS

As mentioned Scooter Vaughn needs to be signed on his name alone!

Scooter has some nice stats for a Dman on a great University of Michigan program. EDIT, didn't know he was converted to a forward until I saw Montreal had posted it. He could be a dependable two forward.

And why not sign Broc Little, at 5'9" it only makes sense for the Habs to sign him and have a player on the team that is small and clearly labelled on his jersey as "LITTLE"!!!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
What ... only 3 paragraphs? I am disappointed.
You did miss the part where I said that "I'll get back to it"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Lefley View Post
Yeah, let's all jump on the Tyler Bozak bandwagon, just like TSN and one of their questions tonight: " Is Tyler Bozak an a) 2nd line center b) a 2A center or c) 3rd line center"
Of course all the TSN sheep say " 2A center", which, of course, is saying he is a 3rd line center.

Oh...I forgot...Brian Burke OVERPAID to get him and gave him the same maximum rookie hit as Steve Stamkos ($875,000 salary and $2,825,000 bonuses).

So yeah, let's make sure we pay some undrafted college free agent MORE than the current cap hit of Andrei Kostistyn or James Wisniewski.

OR to put it in another context, let's pay Tyler Bozak over 4 TIMES the cap hit of P.K Subban.

Yep...that is really good cap and asset management.
What kind of thinking is this? So let's sign guys at the minimum with minimum results? See, I'm not sure what's better cap and asset management. Paying that much bonuses to a guy which would evidently mean would play a key role on our team or pay a guy 7M$ who clearly doesn't achieve the goals based on the salary he's making and not even reaching goals period.

The risk is pretty low. The guy doesn't reach the goals, he doesn't make a lot of money. He does, well yea, you have to pay him but it means that he's making your team better. Not a high price to pay when as of now, you're paying a whole lot of money with average results to say the least....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'll repeat it, like I did last year, I want Chay Genoway on my team. Yes, he's a small d-man....who cares when you have such a talent. Again, it's never a gimme that he'll end up a NHL'er...but he's a great bet to take.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:32 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
I would like to give a try-out to Alexandre Grenier of Quebec. 6"5 200lbs forward who's playing his first yr in the Q at 19. late bloomer , never played midjetAAA and was playing JR AAA until he got call up by the Rempart this year.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...depisteurs.php
Cool story! I hope Habs scouts are watching him closely.

Could he be another kind of David Perron (who didn't play in the Q till he turned 18)?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'll repeat it, like I did last year, I want Chay Genoway on my team. Yes, he's a small d-man....who cares when you have such a talent. Again, it's never a gimme that he'll end up a NHL'er...but he's a great bet to take.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=92084

hmm... tell me more

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
Incredible speed, really imaginative, great at distributing the puck, not only he's fast but he's able to dangle and make plays at high speed.

Needless to say, the only problems with him is size and strength. He's not bad in his zone, he compensate with his smarts.

Old
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

We usually have had pretty good luck signing NCAA FA's, would be nice to add a couple and assign them to Hamilton for a head start on next year given the young players we have promoted this year(Desharnais White Weber Pacioretty).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
I would like to give a try-out to Alexandre Grenier of Quebec. 6"5 200lbs forward who's playing his first yr in the Q at 19. late bloomer , never played midjetAAA and was playing JR AAA until he got call up by the Rempart this year.
The next Yvon Lambert

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
HCH

I think I would also be scouting Switzerland very heavily. They have been consistently improving their hockey program over the years and have had some decent looking players in the world juniors.

They might have someone in the 21 - 23 yr old range who might be able to contribute or at least provide organizational depth.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
Well you tube moments are just that....you tube. Yet, you'll see the speed I'm referring to.