HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2011, 06:47 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,779
vCash: 500
Brad Richards news thread

Brad Richards is not a Ranger but he'll be a much talked about figure on these boards for at least the next 4 months.

Mike Heika discussed the sale of the Stars and Richards future

Quote:
HEIKA: I think you’re right in a lot of ways. I think what he would like to know is what level of commitment to winning will come from the new ownership. He wants a team committed to chasing a Stanley Cup and paying the money it takes to get that done. He does not want to be on a team where getting out of the first round of the playoffs is seen as a huge accomplishment. And, if you look at the past five or six seasons, that’s what the Stars are right now. If an owner is in place and states he wants to spend money and try to win now, then I think Richards is in. If a new owner talks about budgets and setting a low payroll in hopes of business success, I think he is out.

I think he’s a lot like Cliff Lee. He wants to win and he wants to win now. He would like to find a special team where he believes that is possible. Now, can he be kept in the loop on who might buy the team? Maybe a little. Strangely enough, because the sale situation is so liquid, the person who buys the team will probably want to test Brad’s temperature before he commits to the Stars, as well. It will be very interesting to watch.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...p-richards.ece

Heika discussed the sale of the Stars

Quote:
Well, I do believe that any potential buyer would love to give Joe Nieuwendyk a chance to take a crack at signing Brad Richards. My guess right now is that Richards will test free agency no matter what. If I was his agent, I would recommend that path. So if the ownership situation can be worked out by July 1, the Stars could definitely be in the mix of teams talking to Richards (sort of like a Cliff Lee situation where Richards would consider the Stars a very serious candidate). That means that the potential buyers want to push the situation and get things moving. That's a good thing.

The problem for fans, I believe, is that Miller probably is the ``stalking horse'' here. He will set a price that will be shopped around. Sources are saying he already is trying to negotiate offers and counter-ofers for his ``first'' bid, and that he is aware that the lenders will shop that bid to other groups. They also say that the Greenberg/Ryan group was the stalking horse, and that they eventually got the Rangers.
No guarantee the lenders will find a buyer by July.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-could-he.html

Quote:
Stars center Brad Richards skated in Frisco Wednesday morning and is expected to join the Stars in Arizona on Wedneday night. Richards has missed the last seven games with concussion-like symptoms after getting hit in the jaw.

He should be on the ice at practice when the Stars work out Thursday in Peoria, Arizona.

If things go well, he could be in the lineup Friday against the Anaheim Ducks.

``It's still a process, and we need to take it step by step, but it is encouraging,'' Stars coach Marc Crawford said.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-practice.html

Change from earlier this week when Richards was not expected to play on the road trip.

Sounds like Richards is going to July 1 not matter what happens with the Stars ownership.

He waited this long. Why not wait until July.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 07:00 AM
  #2
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Quote:
Well, I do believe that any potential buyer would love to give Joe Nieuwendyk a chance to take a crack at signing Brad Richards. My guess right now is that Richards will test free agency no matter what. If I was his agent, I would recommend that path. So if the ownership situation can be worked out by July 1, the Stars could definitely be in the mix of teams talking to Richards (sort of like a Cliff Lee situation where Richards would consider the Stars a very serious candidate). That means that the potential buyers want to push the situation and get things moving. That's a good thing.

The problem for fans, I believe, is that Miller probably is the ``stalking horse'' here. He will set a price that will be shopped around. Sources are saying he already is trying to negotiate offers and counter-ofers for his ``first'' bid, and that he is aware that the lenders will shop that bid to other groups. They also say that the Greenberg/Ryan group was the stalking horse, and that they eventually got the Rangers.
No guarantee the lenders will find a buyer by July.
If the above is true, Dallas basically have in reality one or two months to first nail it down with one of the potential buyers, because from that point you know it will take a month or two to finalize the deal.

Maybe there is some flex, but a new owner can not commit to BR, and BR can not trust a new owner until all the dots are in place. Just to put down all the dots in a deal like that takes like 6 weeks.

Ola is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 07:23 AM
  #3
Blueblood 2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Beware the Big Buck Buffalo! Ornery animal.

Blueblood 2 is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
  #4
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
I think he’s a lot like Cliff Lee. He wants to win and he wants to win now. He would like to find a special team where he believes that is possible.
Back to Tampa? Would be a pretty smart move.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
  #5
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
If the above is true why would he want to come to NY?

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
  #6
Shadowrunner
Registered User
 
Shadowrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If the above is true why would he want to come to NY?
Err, because NY has a good young core of developing players, an elite goalie, an elite forward, and a Stanley Cup winner for coach with whom BR has won the Con Smythe?

I swear, you people...

Shadowrunner is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 09:44 AM
  #7
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues
 
DoTheBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 6,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If the above is true why would he want to come to NY?
I was thinking the same thing when I read this

"He does not want to be on a team where getting out of the first round of the playoffs is seen as a huge accomplishment. And, if you look at the past five or six seasons, that’s what the Stars are right now."

You could easily insert Rangers into that sentence.

Then you read this

"If an owner is in place and states he wants to spend money and try to win now, then I think Richards is in."

And there you get your answer as to why he would come here. Money.

DoTheBlue is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
  #8
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Err, because NY has a good young core of developing players, an elite goalie, an elite forward, and a Stanley Cup winner for coach with whom BR has won the Con Smythe?

I swear, you people...
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:20 AM
  #9
Shadowrunner
Registered User
 
Shadowrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.
He's not looking for any track records, he's looking for a commitment to winning, which means a willingness to spend to the cap.

Shadowrunner is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
  #10
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,619
vCash: 500
The Cliff Lee comparison isn't exactly spot on, because Lee has never won a championship and Richards has. But Lee was concerned about the Rangers' financial commitment to winning, and his contract may have prevented the Rangers from retaining some of their players or making a splash in free agency. It seems like Richards has some similar concerns with the Stars: are the new owners going to penny pinch or are they willing to spend whatever it takes to become a winner?

Obviously the Rangers have no problems spending money, but in terms of winning now, there would still be some holes on this team with Richards, and the defense would still be one of the youngest in the league. Richards would be looking at a championship a few years into his contract, if it all. But what's not being mentioned here is the Tortorella factor, and I think Richards' relationship with Torts is a big part of what makes New York an attractive destination for Richards.

OverTheCap is online now  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
  #11
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Back to Tampa? Would be a pretty smart move.
I don't think he would go back to Tampa. I'm sure he wouldn't mind going back there but Tampa won't take him back for two reasons:

1) There center depth is already insane. Unless one of the 3 would like to switch to wing--which I doubt.

2) They won't have much cap space after they re-up Stamkos either this year, or in the near future. Stamkos will probably command at least 10 mill a year.

As for the Rangers, I honestly think that the only reason he'd come here is because either he REALLY likes Torts, or because Torts would convince him to come. If Torts wasn't here there would be a lot of other places he'd rather go to, imo.

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
  #12
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Awards:
Where should I put all these eggs? I know! In one basket.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
  #13
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.

We don't have a track record, but we have a team on the rise, that everyone in the league has taken note of.

If he sees himself as one of the missing pieces, why wouldn't he sign here?

•Team on the rise.
•Tortorella.
•Young team that can be very good for a long time.
•Hockey market.
•The arena.
•Committed to long term health of the organization.
•Stable ownership.
•Overall less travel.

There are more pros then cons to coming to NYC to play for the Rangers.

What is the con? That they are a young team struggling right now while missing a few guys to injury?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
  #14
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Unless there is a dark horse team in play, the Stars, Rangers, and Hurricanes are going to be his choices.

He's mentioned Carolina is a place he's like to go, New York, and staying in Dallas.

He nixed Toronto flat out.

LA committed to Penner.

Tampa needs to retain Stamkos.

From all the reports, there won't be that many bidders, due to cap restraints and where he himself would like to play.

I can't read his mind, but from what has been reported, those three would have to be the front runners going into July.

Rangers
Canes
Stars

IMO, in that order.

I don't think Dallas will have the chance, due to the unstable position they're in with the ownership transition.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
  #15
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Unless there is a dark horse team in play, the Stars, Rangers, and Hurricanes are going to be his choices.

He's mentioned Carolina is a place he's like to go, New York, and staying in Dallas.

He nixed Toronto flat out.

LA committed to Penner.

Tampa needs to retain Stamkos.

From all the reports, there won't be that many bidders, due to cap restraints and where he himself would like to play.

I can't read his mind, but from what has been reported, those three would have to be the front runners going into July.

Rangers
Canes
Stars

IMO, in that order.

I don't think Dallas will have the chance, due to the unstable position they're in with the ownership transition.
Carolina has a small market budget. Great place to play but won't be able to compete financially.

bobbop is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
  #16
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
We don't have a track record, but we have a team on the rise, that everyone in the league has taken note of.

If he sees himself as one of the missing pieces, why wouldn't he sign here?

•Team on the rise.
•Tortorella.
•Young team that can be very good for a long time.
•Hockey market.
•The arena.
•Committed to long term health of the organization.
•Stable ownership.
•Overall less travel.

There are more pros then cons to coming to NYC to play for the Rangers.

What is the con? That they are a young team struggling right now while missing a few guys to injury?
You forgot the Sky Bridges! But yes, there are a lot of pros for him to sign in NY and I have to believe the Rangers are on a very short list of candidates.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
  #17
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,394
vCash: 500
I'm interested to see a scenario where the NYR can find the cap-space to sign Richards (~7 million cap-hit) in the offseason and:

1. Hold onto Callahan / Dubinsky
2. Drury does not retire (because that's ridiculous for him to piss away millions)

A buddy of mine, who is a Rangers fan, says it can't be done unless Richards is signed in the fall (after Redden's caphit is removed once again).

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:34 PM
  #18
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Tampa is a legit threat to sign Richards. They have the cap space regardless of Stamkos getting a new deal. Gagne is off the books or if they resign him it's sure as hell going to be less than 5 million he makes now based on his mediocre season. Also they might resign Roloson or go with Desjardin. They could EASILY fit in a 6.5-7 million dollar Brad Richards and a 3-4 million upgrade at defense with cap space to spare.

Don't be so naive as to think they won't be a player in this, assuming of course Richards wants to go there.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  #19
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Tampa is a legit threat to sign Richards. They have the cap space regardless of Stamkos getting a new deal. Gagne is off the books or if they resign him it's sure as hell going to be less than 5 million he makes now based on his mediocre season. Also they might resign Roloson or go with Desjardin. They could EASILY fit in a 6.5-7 million dollar Brad Richards and a 3-4 million upgrade at defense with cap space to spare.

Don't be so naive as to think they won't be a player in this, assuming of course Richards wants to go there.
They also have their center positions in lock.

They have Stamkos and Vinny, who would more over to the wing, I don't think anybody will. I also don't see any or them playing on the 3re line.

New York RKY is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  #20
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I'm interested to see a scenario where the NYR can find the cap-space to sign Richards (~7 million cap-hit) in the offseason and:

1. Hold onto Callahan / Dubinsky
2. Drury does not retire (because that's ridiculous for him to piss away millions)

A buddy of mine, who is a Rangers fan, says it can't be done unless Richards is signed in the fall (after Redden's caphit is removed once again).
Drury can be bought out to acquire the needed space (not advocating but) and not only that but some spare parts are coming off the books that can be replaced from within for cheaper.

The Rangers can fit Richards into the budget if they really want to.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
  #21
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
And there you get your answer as to why he would come here. Money.
I think you're misreading it. The owner would have to spend on Richards, yes, but the implication to me said that the owner would also have to commit financially to other top-tier players that demonstrate the capacity to win.

The Rangers are not that team right now. Not with Redden and Drury and unfortunately, it seems, Gaborik eating up a huge amount of cap space that could help this team be competitive.

BobSantos is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
  #22
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where should I put all these eggs? I know! In one basket.
I laughed.... so true. But whats the alternative? Our team kind of blows as is

I Am Chariot is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
  #23
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I'm interested to see a scenario where the NYR can find the cap-space to sign Richards (~7 million cap-hit) in the offseason and:

1. Hold onto Callahan / Dubinsky
2. Drury does not retire (because that's ridiculous for him to piss away millions)

A buddy of mine, who is a Rangers fan, says it can't be done unless Richards is signed in the fall (after Redden's caphit is removed once again).
First off the Rangers can and will easily hold onto Callahan and Dubinsky and all their core RFA's. I honestly beleive drury will retire after this season. The guy has had MULTIPLE major surgeries in one year, and his play has significantly fallen. His knee seems to be completly dismantled and i dont believe he can come back and play at an exceptional level that even he would be happy with. I think he retires and we lose his salary on the books, but if he doesnt its only 1 more year.

Redden on the other hand, has stated several times that he doesnt want to play in the ahl anymore. He wants to ressurect his career. He will NOT get that chance with the rangers, and has stated he wouldnt mind leaving the contract and going over seas to europe or trying out for another team. I think after this season his caphit will be gone.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  #24
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.
yea but what we did in 55 has no bearing on the team constructed today. Hell what we did in 01 has little bearing on it to be honest. Besides put it in context with the teams he's looking at. Didn't TB just have two tank years in rapid succession followed by being the 6th worst in the league? LA has had less success than us. I honestly thought to myself "We suck too though" and then had to think through it for a sec and realize our average is much better tahn their suckl the last few years

JimmyStart* is offline  
Old
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
  #25
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
The Rangers are not that team right now. Not with Redden and Drury and unfortunately, it seems, Gaborik eating up a huge amount of cap space that could help this team be competitive.
Really? come on man, Redden will be gone after this season, with his statement and desire to play above the ahl and stated he is willing to leave the contract he is in now to do that.

Drury like i said before has had to many injuries in one year and i see him retiring this year and if not its only 1 more season with him.

OMG! seriously? Gaborik is eating up a huge amount of capspace that doesnt allow us to be competive? the guy has had 1 bad season with us and weve already forgotten the 86pt campaign last year. WTF is wrong with everyone, so hes had one bad season with some normal injuries that happens. If richards signs, i do believe him and Gaborik would be magic on a line with either Boyle or Dubinsky.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.