HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Three Stars and Wrapup : Det 1 @ Ana 2 (OT)

View Poll Results: Who were tonight's three stars?
Howard 12 80.00%
Helm 2 13.33%
Datsyuk 7 46.67%
Ellis 4 26.67%
Blake 2 13.33%
Ryan 4 26.67%
Franzen 2 13.33%
Lidstrom 3 20.00%
Abdelkader 0 0%
Kronwall 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Three Stars and Wrapup : Det 1 @ Ana 2 (OT)

Vote for your three stars, top vote-getter will receive 1st star (3 pts), second receives 2nd star (2 pts), third receives 3rd star (1 pt).

Mini Standings thru 63 games:

Datsyuk : 47 pts
Zetterberg : 35 pts
Howard : 34 pts
Cleary : 24 pts
Lidstrom : 23 pts

Post your top 3 and most #1s will be used to break ties. Write-ins count too, so feel free to write-in and then drum up your picks.

As usual, the thread shows up before the poll, so be patient and the poll will appear in a minute.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
sarcastro

Pathetic power play lost them this one. When you don't get a shot on a 93 second 5 on 3, you don't deserve to win. They moved the puck better later on in the game but they still kept shooting right into Duck shinpads or 10 feet over the net.

I don't think Ellis had to make three difficult saves in this one, and the Wings' one goal was a bad goal that he let bounce off him from behind the net. Wings had a lot of jamming-type shots from the posts but every time they had a chance to shoot from a decent angle, they either passed, missed the net, got the shot blocked, or somehow lost control of the puck completely (Hudler - TWICE on two open nets!).

Good effort, and pretty good defense. Howard had to make a lot of big saves, and he made more than his share.

They have to fix the power play. Modano doesn't help. They never have forwards in position to shoot the puck at or inside the dots. Too many long point shots from the middle that are easily blocked, or quick stuff attempts from below the goal line with all 4 PKers swarming the crease. Not good.

Old
03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Yemack

vCash: 500
wasn't ready to play, wasn't focused, didnt put up much fight except few. pretty good 2nd period.. but regressed in 3rd. with all undeserving PP actually sapping their life away.

PP fail entry is just mind boggling. Other teams have been doing same thing (standing at blue line) for last half the season and Wings spend half the PP to trying to arrogantly stickhandle through multiple NHL defenders.

It's nice to have great european players in Wings but just get some north american players and dump the puck in with forwards moving in speed.

Wings PP operates reasonably well once they get inside... except when defence jumps in and forwards not covering for that man.

One of the reason Wings are offensively potent and defensibly weak this season is that most forwards are too deep inside the zone and defenceman is also jumping in. One wrong block shot or bounce... it's odd man rush the other way.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

1) howard
2) Datsyuk
3) Lidstrom

And really, Datsyuk and Lidstrom are stretches.

Can someone confirm for me that Filppula has returned to the lineup?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:05 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
When you don't get a shot on a 93 second 5 on 3, you don't deserve to win.
There's a hell of an understatement. Let me edit it for completeness: When you get 3 shots in a period with 4 power plays including a 93 second 5 on 3, and can't finish it in OT when the first 2 minutes are 4 on 3, you don't deserve to win.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Howard. That's it.

PP is awful. Trouble getting into the zone and then useless once they are in and set up.

I've tried to hold my tongue because I hate dumping on individual players too hard, but.... Salei is awful. He eats more minutes than Lilja did (which was a selling point at first), but that is negated (actually, more than negated, imo) by how much more often he turns into a pylon, or fails to cover his man, or just plain goes to sleep. In sum, he's worse than Lilja, and I no longer have any guilt for thinking that. Salei should not be re-signed.

Kindl has been progressing pretty nicely and I'm hoping he can be a regular next season. I hope he effectively takes Salei's roster spot (though Ericsson should take up the PK duties, assuming he is re-signed). If Kindl can't do it, find someone new. Salei can't cut it.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:53 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
They never have forwards in position to shoot the puck at or inside the dots. Too many long point shots from the middle that are easily blocked, or quick stuff attempts from below the goal line with all 4 PKers swarming the crease. Not good.
In fact, at any given moment, it's quite likely that only two of the five Wings skaters on the powerplay are even facing the net.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Dogkota

I'm really starting to miss the days where 40+ shots was a regular occurrence.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
1) howard
2) Datsyuk
3) Lidstrom

And really, Datsyuk and Lidstrom are stretches.

Can someone confirm for me that Filppula has returned to the lineup?
You might have missed him on that godawful line with Modano and Homer. That has to be the worst line I've seen on a Wings team in a long, long time. Flip can be a good complementary player when he's centering good scoring line players. He's pretty much useless when he's centering the Grumpy Old Men. That line has no energy, no speed after Flip, and nobody who can shoot the puck.

Old
03-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

1. Ellis
2. Howard
3. No One

I'm only voting for the Goalies, no one else really stood out to me on either side, I know Ryan had the game winner but it was ****in Penalty Shot.

If I had to vote for a 3rd it be Datsyuk, but I already submitted my vote on the poll.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
You might have missed him on that godawful line with Modano and Homer. That has to be the worst line I've seen on a Wings team in a long, long time. Flip can be a good complementary player when he's centering good scoring line players. He's pretty much useless when he's centering the Grumpy Old Men. That line has no energy, no speed after Flip, and nobody who can shoot the puck.
Agreed. It's a horrific line in theory, and somehow, even worse in practice.

Please blow it up.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
sarcastro

Once again, note the crickets from a certain contingency of posters regarding goaltending.

This could have been a blowout with the way the Wings' PP was scuffling, and the chances the Ducks were getting.