HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Jason Akeson (RW-Kitchener) and Tyler Brown (C-Plymouth)

Old
03-03-2011, 12:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
we arent going to get Da Costa. He will most likely want a NHL roster spot. Remember when it was thought we would land Gilroy?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:11 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we arent going to get Da Costa. He will most likely want a NHL roster spot. Remember when it was thought we would land Gilroy?
Honestly...

Gilroy probably could have used some developmental time in the AHL. I think he would be a much more well-rounded player had he been patient with things even by one year.

Then again, Gilroy was 24 is his final year at BU.

By the way, another thing people don't realize about Da Costa is that while he is a sophomore this year and was a freshman last year, he is also 22 now and was 21 last year. Normally a freshman is 18/19 and a sophomore is 19/20.

Maybe that takes a little umph away from the excitement, but he is what he is. I advize that everyone not expect him to be some superstar young kid.

Last edited by CS: 03-03-2011 at 06:18 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:38 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Nobody has to guarantee that. He'll be under the ELC system unlike Gilroy, so he won't get a ridiculous contract. He might still rather go to a terrible team just to play, who knows, that might be his modus operandi. After all, he did go to Merrimack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Honestly...

Gilroy probably could have used some developmental time in the AHL. I think he would be a much more well-rounded player had he been patient with things even by one year.
If the NHL team has space for you, playing there instead of AHL shouldn't hurt development as long as you aren't mentally discouraged. Or unless the coaching staff misuses you, which I guess could be valid with Torts.

Quote:
By the way, another thing people don't realize about Da Costa is that while he is a sophomore this year and was a freshman last year, he is also 22 now and was 21 last year. Normally a freshman is 18/19 and a sophomore is 19/20.

Maybe that takes a little umph away from the excitement, but he is what he is. I advize that everyone not expect him to be some superstar young kid.
But it's not like he's grown to 6'3" or something. He's still a somewhat undersized forward. And there really is no "normally" when it comes to college hockey ages. A large portion of committed college players are advised to bulk up in junior leagues like USHL for a year or two. But I understand what you mean, he may not develop as far as people are hoping.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Nice pickup in Akeson. He's got the skill but he's a tiny guy. I wouldn't expect to much of him at the NHL level.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
CptCannon

Considering all the hype Testwuide caused last year... I'm not really expecting big things from this Da Costa guy, atleast not right off the bat.

One good thing for him, if he joined the Flyers and play for Phantoms, would be being one of the rare skill guys on our AHL roster, almost guaranteed top-line role down there.

In the big show then... well, we're pretty stacked right now. There could be an open roster spot in the top6 or perhaps top9 if we continue to roll three scoring lines during upcoming seasons.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Nobody has to guarantee that. He'll be under the ELC system unlike Gilroy, so he won't get a ridiculous contract. He might still rather go to a terrible team just to play, who knows, that might be his modus operandi. After all, he did go to Merrimack.
Ouch.... very funny.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Considering all the hype Testwuide caused last year... I'm not really expecting big things from this Da Costa guy, atleast not right off the bat.
You realize that Testwuide is/was a defensive MONSTER right? Not to Pierre McGuire it up, but that's completely true.

Go look at his +/- compared to the rest of that Phantoms roster, or just read my top 20 that should be coming out within the next day or two.

Testwuide has been quietly going about his business, and I feel as though everyone picks on him because he didn't make what is arguably the deepest top 9 in the NHL...that and because NWO constantly harassed me about his apparently "terrible" season in Adirondack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
One good thing for him, if he joined the Flyers and play for Phantoms, would be being one of the rare skill guys on our AHL roster, almost guaranteed top-line role down there.

In the big show then... well, we're pretty stacked right now. There could be an open roster spot in the top6 or perhaps top9 if we continue to roll three scoring lines during upcoming seasons.
Pither was "guaranteed" a skill line too. Instead he got misused by a terrible coaching staff.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
doubt either of these guys will make a big impact in the NHL down the road

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Akeson could be a contributor in the future. Good skater, good set of hands, sees the ice well, not afraid to get his nose dirty, and is a very good defensive player (people can say what they want, but every forward that has come out of the Kitchener Rangers program knows how to play solid and sound two way hockey).

As for being small, he's 5'10 and 190 pounds, about the same size as Giroux. I'm interested in seeing how he does at the AHL level, especially now that there's a competent head coach in Adirondack.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
As for being small, he's 5'10 and 190 pounds, about the same size as Giroux. I'm interested in seeing how he does at the AHL level, especially now that there's a competent head coach in Adirondack.
Players 6'0 or under always gets labeled as "undersized." I think it's a lazy way to knock on their games.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote