HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What teams do we fear (Western and Eastern)? Come Playoff Time...

Old
03-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
What teams do we fear (Western and Eastern)? Come Playoff Time...

East:
I think that Boston is going to be our biggest threat, and plus they have cap space to have a prime acquistion at the trade deadline. Tampa Bay isn't too much of a worry, because they really do not have the defense (although Roloson has been great for them).

West:
The Canucks are too soft, so they aren't that much of a threat (in my opinion). Detroit hasn't been the same team this year (their defense and goaltending has been up & down all season), although they definitely can show up in the playoffs.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:04 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Bruins and Devils (if they actually make it)

if we beat them and make it to the SCF, I think we will beat whatever team we face

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:12 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
East:
I think that Boston is going to be our biggest threat, and plus they have cap space to have a prime acquistion at the trade deadline. Tampa Bay isn't too much of a worry, because they really do not have the defense (although Roloson has been great for them).

West:
The Canucks are too soft, so they aren't that much of a threat (in my opinion). Detroit hasn't been the same team this year (their defense and goaltending has been up & down all season), although they definitely can show up in the playoffs.
Already passed, buddy. They got Kaberle and Kelly before then. They're tough, but still rely on Tim Thomas to bail out a mediocre offense in my opinion (although their GF on the season is pretty good...). As a deep team, if we get our PP rolling, they still scare me but I think we could beat them in 6. Tampa does worry me because they're deep offensively, but their defense blows and their trap won't work against a focuses playoff team.

In the West, well, whoever gets there is going to be damn good. Whether its the Canucks, Wings, or someone else doesn't matter. We shouldn't be overmatched in depth on forward or D, but we need our goalie to play very well.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

really don't want to see the devils in round 1 (or at all)

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

If the Devils get the 8 seed, I'm worried.

If we play the Lightning deep in the playoffs, I'm worried.

If Tim Thomas catches fire, I'm worried.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:21 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Biggest threats:

Boston and Tampa
Vancover and Detroit

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Biggest threats:

Boston and Tampa
Vancover and Detroit
Pretty much what I was going to post. Tampa scares me more than Boston though, they seem to have our number this year.

Between Detroit and Vancouver, Detroit scares me more.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
really don't want to see the devils in round 1 (or at all)
You won't. They're being cute right now, but they're done.

Old
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The only team I'd be honestly scared to play is Boston. Not that others can't beat us, but that's the one team I want no part of.

Although, that's assuming the Devils don't make it, which if they do make it, I want no part of them either.

People saying the Devils are done, are in denial. They're in this. If 90 points is the number, the Devils need to go 15-4, which is a pace they've been ahead of for almost 2 months now.

The team everyone should be rooting for is Toronto, because that's an easy 5-game win for us.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People saying the Devils are done, are in denial. They're in this. If 90 points is the number, the Devils need to go 15-4, which is a pace they've been ahead of for almost 2 months now.
Like I said, it's cute, but not sustainable for much longer for a team that's just not that good. And even if they did make the playoffs, a Lemaire coached team still doesn't scare me. Boston is far deeper and scarier.

Old
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
You won't. They're being cute right now, but they're done.
Was about to post how it's impossible for them to make it, looking at their remaining schedule it's remarkably weak.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
If the Devils get the 8 seed, I'm worried.

If we play the Lightning deep in the playoffs, I'm worried.

If Tim Thomas catches fire, I'm worried.
Pretty much this. The devils are damn scary right now, and I think they will make the playoffs... trouble is.. they will probably be the 8th seed if they do.. which isn't good.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Like I said, it's cute, but not sustainable for much longer for a team that's just not that good. And even if they did make the playoffs, a Lemaire coached team still doesn't scare me. Boston is far deeper and scarier.
I'm glad they're doing it because I don't want them to have a high draft pick. But people keep saying they can't keep up the pace and they keep doing it. This is a team that once won their last 15 games and won the division. One thing over the years one has learned about the Devils, is that they always find a way. They're out when there's not enough points available.

Old
03-03-2011, 09:05 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1383
Fear isn't necessarily the prime component to be considered and it shouldn't have a major impact in the equation. The Bruins have Tim Thomas, the impetus in the form of last season's humiliation and have assembled essential elements since. That said, any playoff opponent should be thoroughly respected despite the finish in the standings. Anything can happen and no team should be overlooked and that includes the eighth seed or the first round opponent. Be concerned about any opponent.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
clockwise

Quote:
The only team I'd be honestly scared to play is Boston. Not that others can't beat us, but that's the one team I want no part of.
Last season they got great goaltending from Rask and D played well in front of him but they couldn't score.. That's not an issue this year, and if I played for the Bruins I'd relish playing the Flyers to try and rewrite what transpired last year.

I can't imagine a team being more possessed and committed to besting us than the Bruins.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Cartsiephan*

East:
Bruins- made all the moves to be a tough team to play in the post-season, defensively a better team and better goaltending.
TB-can we beat them, sure, have we beaten them, yes in a shootout, otherwise this team has run and gun the Flyers to death.
Penguins-until they actually win a series there is always a question mark.

Teams to be concerned about are the Caps and Habs. Caps just because the Arnott is going to make them a more experienced team and this team has the players to beat the Flyers. Habs because Price can steal a series. For these above reasons it is very important the Flyers finish strong and nab the #1 seed.

West:
Det- This team has a system and the players to win in the system, they all buy-in.
Calgary- They are playing hot and have a pretty good roster, plus a goalie who has had previous playoffs success.
LA- Goaltending and this team is a tough team, if they get rolling they will be tough to take out.
Anaheim- The moves they made were significant enough to make them a contender, they just a have a lot of tough players to play against and have some size up front. Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf, and Ryan is a tough group to deal with, now include Winchester and Ruutu to the mix. Goaltending a question, is Hiller a playoff goalie?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hiller is certainly a playoff goalie, bigger question is his weird injury (Fatigue/ Dizziness/Vertigo)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

What moves did Anaheim make to make them a contender? Beauchemin and Winchester? Dan Ellis? They're not even going to make the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
The team everyone should be rooting for is Toronto, because that's an easy 5-game win for us.
When did the change it to a 9 game series?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
The Tampa Bay 'Ning.

St. Loius and Lecavalier kill us in the playoffs, add Stamkos to this mix and were gonna have a tough time.
Goaltending for TB could be an issue, but same goes for Philadelphia.
We dont have the scoring to go tit-for-tat with the 'Ning, believe that.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:49 AM
rban*

I wont address the West right now, altho I will say that Vancouver and Philly are my two favorite teams. And despite everything, I have doubts about the Nucks. Doubts mainly based on a nagging suspicion that their core has problems, ie core being the Sedins. The Sedins IMHO are too fancy by half... and their fancy dancy moves are inappropriate for PO success.

Nucks may be flawed fatally for the same reason San Jose (another team I liked in the past) are screwed.. their core (ie Thornton Heatley and to a lesser extent Marleau) does not have the toughness and is just too fancy.

Having said all this, I am consistently amazed that anyone even mentions the Devils. Who cares that they are hot now? 'Now' is the regular season, and what you are seeing now from NJ is a mirage that cannot sustain itself in the POs.

BOSTON is the only team that can beat an uninjured Philly. Boston's potent weapon is their first line, their Legion of Doom-like line of giant prototypical Philly players Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton. Big tough and skilled (Krejci on that line is not tough but this year he'll be well protected by the other two).

Guys like Ryder, Seguin, Marchand, Recchi give them good secondary scoring/ depth, but they will live or die by the performance of that massive super line.

Be fearful. I am.

Oh, I wanted to add that I cannot comment on the Caps cuz I really dont know what if any impact Arnott will have on them.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Already passed, buddy. They got Kaberle and Kelly before then. They're tough, but still rely on Tim Thomas to bail out a mediocre offense in my opinion (although their GF on the season is pretty good...). As a deep team, if we get our PP rolling, they still scare me but I think we could beat them in 6. Tampa does worry me because they're deep offensively, but their defense blows and their trap won't work against a focuses playoff team.

In the West, well, whoever gets there is going to be damn good. Whether its the Canucks, Wings, or someone else doesn't matter. We shouldn't be overmatched in depth on forward or D, but we need our goalie to play very well.
Does that make any sense? How are they mediocre offensively if their GF is pretty good? They've only scored 7 fewer goals than the Flyers and that's without Savard most of the season.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Damaged Goods

The Bruins have the best chance of beating the Flyers in a 7-game series. They are the next-best in the East. But the Flyers would have to be made the favorites in any matchup against an Eastern Conference team.

The next would be the Penguins with Crosby.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
infidelappel*

All I can say is that the Flyers had better start playing with intensity and ramp up to the playoffs or they'll be ripe for a first round upset no matter who they face.

That said, TB and Boston are the two other best teams in the conference. It'd be swell if someone could knock them off for us...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Boston - legitimate contender
Tampa - has our number
Jersey - back with a vengeance?
Pittsburgh - back with a Crosby?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote