HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What teams do we fear (Western and Eastern)? Come Playoff Time...

Old
03-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What moves did Anaheim make to make them a contender? Beauchemin and Winchester? Dan Ellis? They're not even going to make the playoffs.
Add Ruutu to the list, not much of a scoring threat but they added physical presence to their lineup. If you look at the lineup from top to bottom they have some pretty decent depth.

Let's not just around thinking the Flyers are so unbeatable, there are plenty of teams who can give this team trouble.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Boston matches up the best against Philly and could totally upset us...although I'm not sure if it would be an upset situation. Boston if they continue to play the way they are can make us the underdogs....which actually might work in Philly's favor more since they seem to get motivated more when the ante is higher...

Tampa is next but they can be beat if the Flyers work around that stupid defensive scheme they have. If the Flyers go down early in the series then the Flyers will get frustrated and could be upset. Plus the special teams for Tampa can be the difference for them.

BOTTOM LINE....Flyers will need a PP and they will need shutdown goaltending for at least a series or two like Halak did for Montreal. As everybody has said...the game in the playoffs becomes tighter and is a game of inches and flukey goals and not taking advantage of PP opportunities will haunt you big time since momentum changes in a playoff series are practically period to period let alone game to game. Flyers can't rely on 5 on 5 success solely ..they will get ousted particularly against teams like Boston and Tampa. They will def need to use their depth to their advantage if there are no key injuries..so they will have to be conditioned to operate like a well oiled machine come playoffs and role 4 lines as much as possible. Winning the Prez cup will help with securing home ice advantage and def helps come Conf finals and Finals but Flyers have been a good road team so if they can't do it....not too much too worry but it would be nice nonetheless.

**Other teams that worry me...Pitt and Devs..the latter if they get in because it will mean they are operating on all cylinders going into the postseason which always bodes well. Not too worried about Wash. Montreal is pesky and has the goaltending but can be beaten.

As far as the West..I can't formulate too much of an opinion just yet...I'll worry about that once we get through the gauntlet of the first 3 rounds...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Fear isn't necessarily the prime component to be considered and it shouldn't have a major impact in the equation. The Bruins have Tim Thomas, the impetus in the form of last season's humiliation and have assembled essential elements since. That said, any playoff opponent should be thoroughly respected despite the finish in the standings. Anything can happen and no team should be overlooked and that includes the eighth seed or the first round opponent. Be concerned about any opponent.
You took the words right off my keyboard. Every series has to be played with 100% focus and intensity. With that in mind, this team matches very well against all of teams 6-11 in the current standings. Washington could be a dark horse as they are a better team than their season has hinted at, and Pittsburgh all relies on Crosby coming back at 100%. TBay with Brewer become even more formidable and, like others have said, Boston has the manpower and motivation to make a very difficult series.

Plus, as infidelappel wrote, the Flyers have to start clicking and playing 60-minute games down the stretch to be in top shape for the playoffs. They have been very lucky with avoiding injuries to the star players, though JvR's latest mishap worries me, and they can afford to rest players judiciously with Zherdev and Boynton on the team.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
avoiding injuries to the star players, though JvR's latest mishap worries me, and they can afford to rest players judiciously with Zherdev and Boynton on the team.
And it sure doesnt help that Z is not being played much. If he's not used much, his ability to step in and perform for injured stars and players like JVR will be limited.

Philly is doing the wrong thing with the whole Zherdev situation and is jeopardizing his potential role as a great fill in for injuriies to forwards.

Yeah yeah I know this is not the Zherdev thread but I had to throw that in there.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
From the East:
Tampa (really only because they have owned us this season)
Boston (if they stay healthy they matchup against us better than anyone in the East and they should want to make it their goal to beat the Flyers this season if they do nothing else, which can make things scary)

From the West:
Detroit (probably the best all around team in the League)
Vancouver (if their defense gets healthy)
and to a lesser extent Anaheim and LA (assuming they make it)

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise View Post
I can't imagine a team being more possessed and committed to besting us than the Bruins.
At the same time, no one should be more possessed and committed to the Finals than us. We have unfinished business, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
East:
...TB-can we beat them, sure, have we beaten them, yes in a shootout, otherwise this team has run and gun the Flyers to death...

West:
Det
Calgary
LA
Anaheim
Other than the no defense game, the Lightning don't play run and gun. Did you watch the last game against them at all? And what about the Canucks? Anaheim and LA scare you more than them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Does that make any sense? How are they mediocre offensively if their GF is pretty good? They've only scored 7 fewer goals than the Flyers and that's without Savard most of the season.
Hard to explain, but when I look at their forward lines, I'm just not nearly as scared as I would be looking at ours, especially in the playoffs where depth translates.

Last edited by might2mash: 03-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

a healthy pittsburgh team is the only thing i fear, but that's looking less likely each day. boston's D has only gotten better so that might be a problem...jersey could give us a scare but they wouldn't be able to answer our depth in a 7 game series. the same can be said for tampa and the rest of the eastern teams.

vancouver's scoring depth might expose our weakness in net.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Bryz4shiz

In the East Tampa, because they have our number, but I think other teams will beat them. In the West Detroit.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Damaged Goods

What's the big fuss over Tampa Bay? I'm seeing a lot of trepidation over a four game sample size that includes 3 1-goal games. They have a -5 goal differential against the rest of the league and play in the worst division in the NHL (the Southeast is a collective -42). Boston, Washington, New York and Pittsburgh (with Crosby) are all much tougher draws.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
What's the big fuss over Tampa Bay? I'm seeing a lot of trepidation over a four game sample size that includes 3 1-goal games. They have a -5 goal differential against the rest of the league and play in the worst division in the NHL (the Southeast is a collective -42). Boston, Washington, New York and Pittsburgh (with Crosby) are all much tougher draws.
Probably historical fear, incl the fact that they beat Philly few years back when they won the Cup.. depsite the fact that both teams were vastly different then.

Combination of that and the fact they seem to have had Philly's number thios regular season.

Not totally rational but that's how it goes sometimes.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

every team

it's the ****ing playoffs, anything can happen (re: 2010 Flyers)

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

One team that scares me is Washington - mainly because they have been quiet this year. I think that makes them poised to actually do something. Instead of having pressure, they would be the underdogs, and they have something to prove. On paper, they don't scare me, but my gut feeling says they'll show up for the playoffs this year.

This is probably the first year I actually think Boston is a contender. Even the late 80s teams with Neely and Bourque never seemed deep enough. This team though on D is going to be tough.

Tampa scares me because of their offense. But I think their defense will be exposed.

Pittsburgh with Crosby will be dangerous, as he can and does carry that team. Plus we haven't had much success against them recently in the playoffs...

I think the Devils will be dangerous early on, but I think they will fade by the conference final.

In the West, if the Flyers were to advance to the finals, the teams I fear the most are Vancouver and San Jose, because the last two times the Flyers appeared in the finals, they lost to a team that hadn't won in a billion years. We helped to end Detroit's 40 some year drought, and Chicago's almost 50 year drought, so I figure we'll help end Vancouver's winless drought. Not very scientific, I admit...

On paper in the West, I think Detroit, SJ, and Vancouver scare me the most, along with Chicago, but they don't have as much depth this year.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
MountainHawk

I'm not sure this thread makes sense. If the Flyers get back to playing the way they did before February, I'm scared of no team. If they play like this, it doesn't matter who we matchup with.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Jimmy Villa

Judging by the last few performances, the team the Philadelphia Flyers should fear most in the post-season is..........the PHILADELPHIA FLYERS.

Seems like we are our own worst enemy at the moment. We've got to a certain point, and just stopped.

That is incredibly dangerous going into the last stretch of the regular season. Everyone else is fighting and scrapping for a playoff spot, and the Flyers are already in cruise control.

Momentum is huge in hockey, and that's why the Flyers went so far last year. Getting in on the last day was the best thing that could've happened. They just seem so complacent right now, pretty similar to the Caps last year. How did it work out for them?

Flyers need to wise up and realise that ALL remaining games are important. Gotta sort the form out before the post season, or they will be going home early feeling sorry for themselves and scratching their heads

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 07:55 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

The Blackhawks were 11-8-3 coming out of the Olympics last year. They were smart enough to go into the playoffs on a 6-0-1 run, though. The Flyers have twenty games to get ready for the big show. They're not gonna **** the bed for a quarter of the season. I'd rather them work the kinks out now, as frustrating as it is.

To me, the biggest thing is winning the first round. Once you get out of that, it seems that teams get into a groove, and this team getting on a roll is a scary thing. Anybody can beat anybody, though. I don't like reading about these easy outs. There wasn't an easy out last year, and I doubt there will be one this year.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:08 AM
still life

The Devils would certainly be a legitimate threat if they were to make the playoffs and take the 8th spot. They would be just like we were last year in a way and could easily do the same thing we did to them last year. Not overly worried about Pittsburgh or Washington. Or Tampa Bay. I think it's Boston that could give the Flyers the most trouble out of all the eastern teams. In the west, it's definitely got to be Detroit.

still life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:22 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Right now every team in the league If we can barely beat NYI and get completely outworked by Ottawa and Toronto.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Bruins are looking like the team to beat out of the EC right now. If this team does not get their act together they could find themselves in the 3-4 seed by May.

Old
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Honestly. There are too many holes in this teams game to get through the playoffs. The offense is predictable and is too easily pushed to the perimeter, the power play is an absolute JOKE, the defense doesn't want to play defense, and there's absolutely no worth ethic.

So what team do i fear? every one of them. This team couldn't beat the phantoms in a 7 game series right now.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Add Ruutu to the list, not much of a scoring threat but they added physical presence to their lineup. If you look at the lineup from top to bottom they have some pretty decent depth.

Let's not just around thinking the Flyers are so unbeatable, there are plenty of teams who can give this team trouble.
If the Ducks needed Jarkko Ruutu to become a contender...they weren't one at all.

Other than their young guys, and Selanne, they've become a team you look at and say "oh, so that's where they play now."

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

The Leafs.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If the Ducks needed Jarkko Ruutu to become a contender...they weren't one at all.

Other than their young guys, and Selanne, they've become a team you look at and say "oh, so that's where they play now."
Look at a team like the Bruins who added Peverly and Kelly. Neither one of them are big market names but each plays there role and does their job. This is exactly the type of moves Ana made. Ruutu is not a star and Winchester is not a 30 goal guy, but they know their roles and play it well. The physical presence is exactly the type of game that could eventually be the undoing of the Flyers.

The philosphy of getting ten 30 goal scorers means that there are not necessarily guys who can just go out and bust there a$$ every shift and make the difference by bringing more energy. I think Flyers fans are becoming too enamored with the 3 scroing line philosophy and forgot that grit and effort are the big keys to success in the playoffs, not fancy regular season stats.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:54 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
The philosphy of getting ten 30 goal scorers means that there are not necessarily guys who can just go out and bust there a$$ every shift and make the difference by bringing more energy. I think Flyers fans are becoming too enamored with the 3 scroing line philosophy and forgot that grit and effort are the big keys to success in the playoffs, not fancy regular season stats.
Grit and effort are not something opposite or in opposition of skill and talent.

Grit and effort are something everyone can use regardless of skill or talent. It's up to the player, with help from his teammates, team leadership, and the coaching staff, to put forth that effort.

Depth is biggest key necessary to be successful in the playoffs. It helps when that depth busts their ass every shift. Skilled players can work hard too.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Skilled players can work hard too.
Cue in the Zherdev comments...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
So what team do i fear? every one of them. This team couldn't beat the phantoms in a 7 game series right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote