HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

hockey stick shafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2011, 06:02 PM
  #1
Slvrdwn
Registered User
 
Slvrdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 531
vCash: 500
hockey stick shafts.

I recently started playing again, and as I'm a student haven't had tons of money to throw around. I traded some of my guitar/bass pedals for blades, and have been looking for some decent cheap shafts. What do you guys think about the easton typhoons? I can grab 2 of em for 50, so it sparked my interest but I've heard some mixed reviews. Would there be anything else out there fairly cheap I haven't noticed that is a better bang for my buck? Shafts have proved to be fairly elusive for me so far.

Slvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
  #2
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
My issue with shafts these days is that reasonably priced blades are hard to come by. Of course my issue with OPS is that if you crack the blade the whole stick is scrap. So I guess it's a toss up.

Maybe go woodie? I used to get the easton Z carbon woods for 30 dollars. they weren't bad and can last you a while if you aren't too hard on em.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:28 PM
  #3
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
I had a typhoon when I was ten for street hockey. I loved it because it was blue, but I have no idea about performance...

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:37 PM
  #4
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: B-Ham
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 700
I recommend looking on eBay too, just see what's cheap and available. Shaft performance for me has been somewhat negligible, I haven't had any that were just phenomenal, nor have I had any that were pure garbage. I have a few old OPS's that I have turned into two pieces, and have been happy with them (CCM V130, Synergy ST, Mission L2). The Typhoon can't be a bad choice, especially at that price. Other old Easton Shafts I remember having were the Ultra Light, T-Flex, Synthesis. The problem I have is finding blades, they all seem to be in the $50-$70 range, for tapered composites anyways.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:40 PM
  #5
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
I recommend looking on eBay too, just see what's cheap and available. Shaft performance for me has been somewhat negligible, I haven't had any that were just phenomenal, nor have I had any that were pure garbage. I have a few old OPS's that I have turned into two pieces, and have been happy with them (CCM V130, Synergy ST, Mission L2). The Typhoon can't be a bad choice, especially at that price. Other old Easton Shafts I remember having were the Ultra Light, T-Flex, Synthesis. The problem I have is finding blades, they all seem to be in the $50-$70 range, for tapered composites anyways.
Where are you going for blades? Any good deals out there? I have an untouched Synergy ST that I haven't even used because finding decently priced blades is tough.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:11 PM
  #6
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: B-Ham
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Where are you going for blades? Any good deals out there? I have an untouched Synergy ST that I haven't even used because finding decently priced blades is tough.
Fortunately I haven't had to buy any yet, I've got an old si-core blade though that I do need to replace. I've been throwing some bids in on eBay, but there are people out there still willing to pay $50-$60 for blades there. So I don't know, I have other sticks to use, but I still need to replace it. I can't seem to find good deals anywhere, even on some websites on their "deal days" or "take an extra 15% off" the prices are still pretty high. It sucks. Just gonna keep lurking on eBay I guess.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
  #7
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
That's an excellent price for them as IIRC, they were a mid-level shaft when they first came out

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  #8
Slvrdwn
Registered User
 
Slvrdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 531
vCash: 500
if your looking for blades check out the usual spots like kijiji or craigslist if you haven't already. another good place to look if your not in a rush is the end of season team sales most nhl teams do. the blades i got came from the leafs sale, but sifers (lol) used a jager blade, so i have 2 of those and one generic one. the guy i got them from said they cost him like $20 for the 3. i know my pedals were worth way more than that, i just had more use for the blades so i got them off him.

Slvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
  #9
GLG
Registered User
 
GLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrdwn View Post
if your looking for blades check out the usual spots like kijiji or craigslist if you haven't already. another good place to look if your not in a rush is the end of season team sales most nhl teams do. the blades i got came from the leafs sale, but sifers (lol) used a jager blade, so i have 2 of those and one generic one. the guy i got them from said they cost him like $20 for the 3. i know my pedals were worth way more than that, i just had more use for the blades so i got them off him.
when's the LEAFS sale? can you send me an email with details? thanks!

ballhockey9@hotmail.com

GLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
  #10
Cams
Registered User
 
Cams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Keep checking mapleleafs.com for news, they always post the equipment sale(s).

Cams is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.