HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
FanHabtic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
First off the Rangers can and will easily hold onto Callahan and Dubinsky and all their core RFA's. I honestly beleive drury will retire after this season. The guy has had MULTIPLE major surgeries in one year, and his play has significantly fallen. His knee seems to be completly dismantled and i dont believe he can come back and play at an exceptional level that even he would be happy with. I think he retires and we lose his salary on the books, but if he doesnt its only 1 more year.

Redden on the other hand, has stated several times that he doesnt want to play in the ahl anymore. He wants to ressurect his career. He will NOT get that chance with the rangers, and has stated he wouldnt mind leaving the contract and going over seas to europe or trying out for another team. I think after this season his caphit will be gone.
While possible for Drury to retire and Redden to leave his contract i find it a bit unrealistic. Drury could always stay on the LTIR if he is not fit to play and still earn his 7+ million. Similarly i would be surprised to see Redden walk away from 6.5 million to take far less in europe. While money is not everything, we are talking high-dollars here. Can you name a player that retired from or walked away from a 6-7+ million dollar contract? 1 to 2 million dollar contracts i can see. But 6 to 7+ million? Unlikely.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
While possible for Drury to retire and Redden to leave his contract i find it a bit unrealistic. Drury could always stay on the LTIR if he is not fit to play and still earn his 7+ million. Similarly i would be surprised to see Redden walk away from 6.5 million to take far less in europe. While money is not everything, we are talking high-dollars here. Can you name a player that retired from or walked away from a 6-7+ million dollar contract? 1 to 2 million dollar contracts i can see. But 6 to 7+ million? Unlikely.
Drury will not stay on the LTIR, and the Rangers managment wont allow that to happen. when was that last time you saw the rangers do this? Drury will be gone this season or next no doubt about that. Redden himself has stated his desire to play in europe or on another nhl team because he wants to ressurect his career. I cant find where he said this but it was stated in several places during an interview with him. He stated that the money of course would be hard to walk away from but he is NOT happy playing in the AHL. The only player i can think of right now is Darius Kasper, i believe his contract was alittle over 4m.

Everyone has their own opinion on what they want to believe will happen and see happen. Im not saying your possibility wouldnt happen but dont say that mine wont either considering the facts that back up the claim by Redden and the extremly diminished play of drury along with the multiple devestating injuries this past couple of seasons. I dont see him being able to play anymore.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Blueshirt Special

I don't much about anything, but I know this:

There is no compelling reason for me to believe that BR is coming to the NY Rangers.

I don't know if that is even a bad thing considering out record of signing UFA's. "shrugs"

Old
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Drury will not stay on the LTIR, and the Rangers managment wont allow that to happen.
What choice would the Rangers have? The players association would intervene if the Rangers tried to mess with this.

Quote:
Drury will be gone this season or next no doubt about that.
Hard to say there is "no doubt about that". I can think of 7+ million reasons why Drury might play next season (or remain on LTIR until he's fit to play).

Quote:
Redden himself has stated his desire to play in europe or on another nhl team because he wants to ressurect his career. I cant find where he said this but it was stated in several places during an interview with him.
Is it possible to loan him to a Euro team like the Hawks did with Huet? I'm not sure if the Rangers have to pay his salary while on loan but it appears that the Hawks got around it. The problem however is that his cap-hit still applies in the off-season.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
I think you're misreading it. The owner would have to spend on Richards, yes, but the implication to me said that the owner would also have to commit financially to other top-tier players that demonstrate the capacity to win.

The Rangers are not that team right now. Not with Redden and Drury and unfortunately, it seems, Gaborik eating up a huge amount of cap space that could help this team be competitive.
Yes that is the implication but I wasn't misreading. I was merely reading between the lines. Every year the Rangers spend money and commit financially to other top tier players and every year we get the same result. I assuming, which maybe I shouldn't, that Richards knows this, hence why I think the money is more important than winning. Which is fine. That's not to say that I don't want him here or that a healthy Richards doesn't improve this team's chances of success. But when these big FA's come to New York it's definitely not because we've demonstrated the capacity to win.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
WTF is wrong with everyone, so hes had one bad season with some normal injuries that happens. If richards signs, i do believe him and Gaborik would be magic on a line with either Boyle or Dubinsky.
I'm glad you believe that. I believe he'll be injured 33% of the time remaining on his contract. Don't know what to tell you. It's called a track record. He has one.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:19 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
What choice would the Rangers have? The players association would intervene if the Rangers tried to mess with this.

Hard to say there is "no doubt about that". I can think of 7+ million reasons why Drury might play next season (or remain on LTIR until he's fit to play).

Is it possible to loan him to a Euro team like the Hawks did with Huet? I'm not sure if the Rangers have to pay his salary while on loan but it appears that the Hawks got around it. The problem however is that his cap-hit still applies in the off-season.
Logic. You have it.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Yes that is the implication but I wasn't misreading. I was merely reading between the lines. Every year the Rangers spend money and commit financially to other top tier players and every year we get the same result. I assuming, which maybe I shouldn't, that Richards knows this, hence why I think the money is more important than winning. Which is fine. That's not to say that I don't want him here or that a healthy Richards doesn't improve this team's chances of success. But when these big FA's come to New York it's definitely not because we've demonstrated the capacity to win.
Ok. I see your point. You may be right.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Then you read this

"If an owner is in place and states he wants to spend money and try to win now, then I think Richards is in."

And there you get your answer as to why he would come here. Money.
But, it doesn't necessarily have to do with Richards getting his money on his contract, it has to do with the owner/GM being committed to spending to the cap and committing financial resources to fielding the most competitive team possible... Any team operating under a self imposed cap or trying to limit their expenses is not going to be able to do that... Basically, Richards and his agent have no doubt he'll be paid, but this will likely be the last contract that he signs, so he wants to make sure he's signing with an organization that gives his team the best chances for success.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

w/ Drury, Avery, Redden all coming off the books (I also imagine Wolski doesn't get a raise without a deserving contract season performance, maybe even a pay cut) I'm most afraid of how Sather will abuse that cap space. hopefully THIS TIME he's learned his lessons.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
w/ Drury, Avery, Redden all coming off the books (I also imagine Wolski doesn't get a raise without a deserving contract season performance, maybe even a pay cut) I'm most afraid of how Sather will abuse that cap space. hopefully THIS TIME he's learned his lessons.
-There's no way the Rangers are spending $7 mil in cap space next season for an injury riddled season from Drury on the 4th line... He either retires or they buy him out. Buyout will be $3.6 mil cap hit next season and $1.67 cap hit the following year.
-Avery is on the books next season. What happens after that, who knows
-Redden is under contract for another 3 full seasons after this year. Unless he voids his contract, you have to assume we're paying him for 3 more years
-Wolski has 1 more year on his contract at $3.8 mil cap hit... Whether or not he gets a raise or qualified will depend on how he plays...

If the Rangers don't land Richards, there's not too many attractive UFA options this summer, nor the next summer either... Not good... Either means we won't make any big acquisitions or we will commit money to a less than desirable target.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

its pretty obvious the rangers feel they have the cap space to add this guy or they wouldn't have tried so hard to get him at the deadline.

to me its also pretty obvious that in order to get that space they fully intend on drury not being back here whether that's thru a buyout or retirement. but its clear chris drury is done here.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
its pretty obvious the rangers feel they have the cap space to add this guy or they wouldn't have tried so hard to get him at the deadline.

to me its also pretty obvious that in order to get that space they fully intend on drury not being back here whether that's thru a buyout or retirement. but its clear chris drury is done here.
Do the numbers work for accommodating Richards (at 7 million) with a buyout of Drury? And assuming of course you re-up Dubinsky and Callahan (and Redden stays on the books in the off-season).

Old
03-03-2011, 01:57 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But, it doesn't necessarily have to do with Richards getting his money on his contract, it has to do with the owner/GM being committed to spending to the cap and committing financial resources to fielding the most competitive team possible... Any team operating under a self imposed cap or trying to limit their expenses is not going to be able to do that... Basically, Richards and his agent have no doubt he'll be paid, but this will likely be the last contract that he signs, so he wants to make sure he's signing with an organization that gives his team the best chances for success.
I understand that. My point is when you look around the league and the Rangers past record there is absolutely know way your coming to New York because of your chance to succeed. The failure rate of big FA signings is much higher than the success rate. That doesn't mean Richards doesn't think he can help or that him coming here is doesn't move the team forward. Maybe he's intrigued about the possibility of having Gaborik on his line or maybe he loves the city. But FAs come here for the money first. And why not, the Rangers pay well. And if you fail to produce no biggie. Sather will find a way out and bring in the next guy. Let me be clear. I'm not anti Richards. I'd like to see him here if both he and Gaborik are healthy. But let's not pretend FAs come to NY because of their chances of success when history shows the exact opposite is true.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
gabby19

-Redden is under contract for another 3 full seasons after this year. Unless he voids his contract, you have to assume we're paying him for 3 more years

Pretty sure Redden's salary is already off the books. The Rangers are paying him, but it doesn't count against the cap. Unless Drury has a no movement clause, the same could apply to him. No???

Old
03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I understand that. My point is when you look around the league and the Rangers past record there is absolutely know way your coming to New York because of your chance to succeed. The failure rate of big FA signings is much higher than the success rate. That doesn't mean Richards doesn't think he can help or that him coming here is doesn't move the team forward. Maybe he's intrigued about the possibility of having Gaborik on his line or maybe he loves the city. But FAs come here for the money first. And why not, the Rangers pay well. And if you fail to produce no biggie. Sather will find a way out and bring in the next guy. Let me be clear. I'm not anti Richards. I'd like to see him here if both he and Gaborik are healthy. But let's not pretend FAs come to NY because of their chances of success when history shows the exact opposite is true.
I'm saying Richards can get comparable money from Dallas on his new contract, it's not about money for HIM... It's about the team he signs his next contract with having the money to pay the rest of the team and field the most competitive roster possible... What you said in your last sentence rings true for players who need/want a big payday, but in this case, the sticking point for Richards is whether or not his next team will have the $$$ to pay other players on the roster...

Old
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby19 View Post

Pretty sure Redden's salary is already off the books. The Rangers are paying him, but it doesn't count against the cap. Unless Drury has a no movement clause, the same could apply to him. No???
You are correct that Reddens' contract is not counting for the regular season but it counts against the 10% bump we get on the cap during the summer... And yes, Drury has a NMC so he can't be sent to join Redden in Connecticut.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
If richards signs, i do believe him and Gaborik would be magic on a line with either Boyle or Dubinsky.
Didn't we say the same thing about Jagr & Gomez? After that disaster, I'm very weary of signing any player for big dollars with the expectation that they'll automatically have chemistry with player X.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Gatorade*

Gaborik doesn't seem like a guy that anybody fully meshes with. Has he ever had a center that truly elevated his game?

Old
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where should I put all these eggs? I know! In one basket.
Similar to what the Knicks did this past summer with Lebron, and they got burned. They're just lucky Stoudemire was willing to sign here and Carmelo was available via trade. If the Rangers miss out on Richards there's not many other options, unless they pull off a major trade for a top line center.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
gabby19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You are correct that Reddens' contract is not counting for the regular season but it counts against the 10% bump we get on the cap during the summer... And yes, Drury has a NMC so he can't be sent to join Redden in Connecticut.

Interesting, forgot about the bump....Is that 10% bump the amount the teams are allowed to exceed the Cap during the off-season? They can be over by 10% during the summer but must be at the cap opening night? So counting the Redden salary would prevent them from signing a free agent using that cap allowance that demoting Redden provides them, but otherwise won't hurt them once next season starts?

Old
03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby19 View Post
Interesting, forgot about the bump....Is that 10% bump the amount the teams are allowed to exceed the Cap during the off-season? They can be over by 10% during the summer but must be at the cap opening night? So counting the Redden salary would prevent them from signing a free agent using that cap allowance that demoting Redden provides them, but otherwise won't hurt them once next season starts?
You are correct...

This past summer, Redden's cap hit was slightly MORE than 10% of the salary cap, so it hurt us a bit in terms of summer spending... However, it's speculated that the cap will rise by as much a $3mil for next year due to the league doing well with revenue/profit, so his contract will likely not infringe on our normal cap spending.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Gaborik doesn't seem like a guy that anybody fully meshes with. Has he ever had a center that truly elevated his game?
Demitra.

I would like to see Richards signed and have a line of Christensen-Richards-Gaborik. That'd be a hell of a skilled line.

I've liked what I've seen from Christensen the last month, and I wonder what a move to left wing would do for him. Worked pretty well for Dubi.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Demitra.

I would like to see Richards signed and have a line of Christensen-Richards-Gaborik. That'd be a hell of a skilled line.

I've liked what I've seen from Christensen the last month, and I wonder what a move to left wing would do for him. Worked pretty well for Dubi.
Christiansen is an inconsistent headcase... Stick Dubi on that line for some grit and board-work down low.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Demitra.

Gaborik and Demitra were constantly broken up for lack of chemistry.

Closed Thread