HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
not gonna lie...HATED the Stepan pick.

thats why those guys get paid the big bucks.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:19 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not gonna lie...HATED the Stepan pick.

thats why those guys get paid the big bucks.
I think the whole High School Musical/tap dancing thing is what made a lot of people hate the pick early on.

RANGERS =
Old
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't recall it that way. I thought the downside of the pick was another Olver, but ultimately I was down with it.
I don't know. You were pretty hard on him in both his draft thread and another thread where people were asked to grade the draft. I only remember because you were arguing with Edge and I was involved in the conversation briefly at the end.

You did not seemed pleased. And the board tends to notice when Bluenote is not pleased. Just as the Dylan McI fans.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

THN FW 2011 Rangers

1-Chris Kreider(18th overall)-Zipay wrote the bios. Rangers feel Kreider can follow Stepan and make the jump into the NHL out of college. World class speed. Compares to Eric Staal. Zipay also writes that. Gordie Clark loves him.

2-Dylan McIlrath(50th overall)-Developing a point shot. Needs to refine skating and play reading.

3-Ryan McDonagh(75th overall)-We know about him already.

4-Christian Thomas-Good hands. Pro level release. Leadership qualities. More skilled than his father. Needs to become stronger and has made that commitment by hitting the gym.

5-Evgeny Grachev-Schoenfeld said "something still has to click" for Grachev. Needs to improve speed.

6-Ethan Werek-Season derailed by wrist injury

7-Dale Weise-Could end up as fourth line grinder

8-Jesper Fasth-Two way sniper who plays in traffic

9-Ryan Bourque-Quick but small

10-Roman Horak-Projects as 3rd liner

Old
03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
1-Chris Kreider(18th overall)-Zipay wrote the bios. Rangers feel Kreider can follow Stepan and make the jump into the NHL out of college. World class speed. Compares to Eric Staal. Zipay also writes that. Gordie Clark loves him.
I'd be happy with Erik Cole.

Quote:
4-Christian Thomas-Good hands. Pro level release. Leadership qualities. More skilled than his father. Needs to become stronger and has made that commitment by hitting the gym.
Whoa now, pretty bold statement in there. Regardless, I hope he becomes a legit bluechip prospect and really has the talent to be a sniper at the NHL level.

As for the 2008 draft...man a lot of people wanted Petrov and Staal. Stepan wasn't even on the radar and wasn't mentioned until he was picked, whereupon everyone **** a brick.

Also, SupersonicMonkey suggested trading Callahan and a 3rd for another 2nd round pick in that draft

Can't believe so many people wanted Staal when he's barely an AHLer now

e: also interesting that Stepan was pegged more as a goal scorer when he was drafted, and then became a playmaker at Wisconsin, and now seems to be a little of both

Last edited by Levitate: 03-03-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
THN FW 2011 Rangers

2-Dylan McIlrath(50th overall)-Developing a point shot. Needs to refine skating and play reading.

5-Evgeny Grachev-Schoenfeld said "something still has to click" for Grachev. Needs to improve speed.

Thanks... No mention of Hagelin in there?

Old
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I don't know. You were pretty hard on him in both his draft thread and another thread where people were asked to grade the draft. I only remember because you were arguing with Edge and I was involved in the conversation briefly at the end.

You did not seemed pleased. And the board tends to notice when Bluenote is not pleased. Just as the Dylan McI fans.
I recall wanting one of the russians, Grachev or Petrov, and also liked Dman Mike Stone. I'm sure the argument was between Edge and I about yet another undersized forward. Stepan's size was my biggest question, which in hindsight was silly.

Quote:
THN FW 2011 Rangers

I don't have to say much, Mcilrath above McDonagh at this point is stupid.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I recall wanting one of the russians, Grachev or Petrov, and also liked Dman Mike Stone. I'm sure the argument was between Edge and I about yet another undersized forward. Stepan's size was my biggest question, which in hindsight was silly.
Looked like you wanted Staal a lot, and yes you felt Stepan was a skilled but undersized forward of the type that had failed before.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:

I don't have to say much, Mcilrath above McDonagh at this point is stupid.
Indeed. Makes you think about how lousy THN has become in recent years. Anyone who was really watching Ranger games for the last few weeks would obviously stick McD ahead of McI.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Looked like you wanted Staal a lot, and yes you felt Stepan was a skilled but undersized forward of the type that had failed before.
I admit, Jared Staal was a lesson learned

Stepan was a string bean at Shattuck, saw with my own eyes. I liked his maneuvers but at that time it was hard to imagine him in a men's league the way he looked, very awkward. Looking back the skills and sense were there, I let our horrible drafting of the past influence my opinion and that was wrong.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
THN FW 2011 Rangers

You cannot put McIlrath above McDonagh, and no Carl Hagelin...that's just awful.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Indeed. Makes you think about how lousy THN has become in recent years. Anyone who was really watching Ranger games for the last few weeks would obviously stick McD ahead of McI.
Mcilrath has potential, but if we're talking potential how is Thomas not ahead of all of them?

Meh, these lists are just funny sidebars once these players are here and playing.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You cannot put McIlrath above McDonagh, and no Carl Hagelin...that's just awful.
Nah, he's way behind 4th line grinder Dale Weise

Old
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

And you have to love the blurb for McIlrath.

Quote:
Needs to refine skating and play reading.
McDonagh excels at both.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Mcilrath has potential, but if we're talking potential how is Thomas not ahead of all of them?

Meh, these lists are just funny sidebars once these players are here and playing.
Agreed, just don't think the creators of these lists have seen what Thomas has done so far.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I admit, Jared Staal was a lesson learned

Stepan was a string bean at Shattuck, saw with my own eyes. I liked his maneuvers but at that time it was hard to imagine him in a men's league the way he looked, very awkward. Looking back the skills and sense were there, I let our horrible drafting of the past influence my opinion and that was wrong.
Yeah I totally get being nervous about the pick. He did seem similar in some ways to other guys the Rangers picked before, but he was coming from a better school and going to a better school at least.

Just funny how he was just so much out of left field, how seriously upset people were that he liked high school musical and tap dancing, and now here he is jumping right into the NHL and will probably put up 40+ points as a rookie, projecting to be at least a 2nd line center

Old
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I totally get being nervous about the pick. He did seem similar in some ways to other guys the Rangers picked before, but he was coming from a better school and going to a better school at least.

Just funny how he was just so much out of left field, how seriously upset people were that he liked high school musical and tap dancing, and now here he is jumping right into the NHL and will probably put up 40+ points as a rookie, projecting to be at least a 2nd line center
Once I saw him play at Wisconsin I was hooked. Lots of guys at the college level have his skill set but very few are able to process the game like he does, you could see it his freshman year.

Old
03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
squishy

Quote:
THN FW 2011 Rangers

That Dale Weise is on that list and Carl Hagelin is not is laughable.

Dale Weise is Greg Moore. I don't get the fascination.

Old
03-03-2011, 04:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I wish I was here when we picked Steps. Reading about him after the draft was almost a nightmare (TAP-DANCING?!) .

Funny how things turn out in the end.

Old
03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
CH2

Hagelin's versatility is on display now:

Quote:
Berenson has moved leading scorer Carl Hagelin into Caprousso's center spot. Hagelin didn't miss a step in his first game at his new position, scoring two goals in Saturday's 5-0 win that clinched the regular-season title for the Wolverines. The senior captain has been hot of late, scoring four goals in Michigan's last three games.
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michi...enson-and-mor/

Old
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thomas & Werek facing off against each other tonight:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...show/game/1216

Old
03-04-2011, 12:13 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

No points for Thomas tonight... Werek finished with an assist.... Kingston beat Oshawa in a shootout

Old
03-04-2011, 12:54 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And you have to love the blurb for McIlrath.

McDonagh excels at both.
I didn't necessarily intend that as a criticism of McI. His skillset is different than McD's, as are the things he needs to improve on. I don't think McD will be a crease clearing defenseman who other teams are afraid of playing against, and I don't think McI will ever be as good of a skater.

McDonagh was picked much earlier, so I'd like to let McIlrath get the same amount of development time in before we start comparing the two on their ultimate value.

Old
03-04-2011, 05:40 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I didn't necessarily intend that as a criticism of McI. His skillset is different than McD's, as are the things he needs to improve on. I don't think McD will be a crease clearing defenseman who other teams are afraid of playing against, and I don't think McI will ever be as good of a skater.

McDonagh was picked much earlier, so I'd like to let McIlrath get the same amount of development time in before we start comparing the two on their ultimate value.
Neither did I. I saw it as complimentary to McDonagh, as well as emphasizing the silliness of placing him behind McIlrath.

Old
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Kreider plays tonight @ 7:30 vs. NH

Closed Thread