HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My 2011-2012 Buffalo Sabres

Old
03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
JD SabreFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I'd say our defense is definitely more of an issue. Either last night showed how Lindy lays back after a 2-goal lead or how bad our defense can really be.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
I'd say our defense is definitely more of an issue. Either last night showed how Lindy lays back after a 2-goal lead or how bad our defense can really be.
Last night showed that Morrisson-Weber lacks the footspeed to handle a fast forechecking squad, and that Montador-Sekera have spent all of 2 games together.

Interestingly, one of the guys you let walk (Butler), was on the sole pairing that was rarely hemmed in in the third period. I think he supplies a lot of the positioning and reliability that Tallinder did while he was here.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
jfb392

Damn, I should have started my salary cap and roster building thread yesterday before we had another one..

Just a note: the cap will not be $59.4m next year, it will be around $61-62m.

Also, if it was $59.4m and we were operating with $57k left, it just wouldn't work.
There would be almost no room for call ups unless all of our injured players were placed on LTIR.
You also wouldn't want to operate too close to the ceiling because there is no bonus cushion next season (usually 7.5% of the upper limit), so teams will not be able to exclude performance bonuses from their calculations.

And how is signing Richards and just letting Butler walk for nothing "realistic"?

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:09 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

if anyone thinks the younger defensemens games have plateaued and they will never get better with experience is just delusional. Sekera, weber, butler and myers have great odds that they will be better next season. No guarantee of course, but more likely than not. Now Morrisonn, Montador, and Leopold you know what you're getting. So to give up on the young guys so fast MAY be a bad move. To blindly put a blanket "he will always suck" on a young defenseman is irresponsible at best. Not all "top" defensemen started as a rookie of the year or even close. Just my opinion.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

You can't even finish your own roster. You'd make a great GM...

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
buffalowing88

Does anyone really want Morrisonn next season? I realize he isn't going anywhere but I have been absolutely shocked at how unimpressive he has been since Day 1. When we picked him up I was expecting an impact player, what we have is a guy who hurts us more than he helps us and contributes nothing offensively.

This defense needs a bruiser still, someone who can play the body effectively and knock the **** out of someone in front of Miller. That was Rivet's job but now that he's gone it's either going to have to be Weber/Myers stepping it up or the acquisition of another stay at home defenseman. We will regret not having one come April.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:14 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Does anyone really want Morrisonn next season? I realize he isn't going anywhere but I have been absolutely shocked at how unimpressive he has been since Day 1. When we picked him up I was expecting an impact player, what we have is a guy who hurts us more than he helps us and contributes nothing offensively.
What made you think he'd be in impact player?

I mean, it's not like he was a world-beater in Washington and there was a reason he lasted that long in free agency before being signed.

He's alright, and he's been alright all year. I don't like him and Weber together on a line, though. They're too similar. They're below average puck-movers who play a physical game that can take them out of position at times.

Their tools have their own place, but I think each of them needs to be paired with a better skater, more positionally-sound partner to be successful.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM
ct2111

Hi guys, have been reading this forum for quite a while, but just thought this thread is a great idea, so why not share some of my pipe dreams.

Don't re-sign:
Nieds, Lalime, Grier, Connolly

Re-Sign:
McCormick .8m
Stafford 3.5m
Weber 1.3m
Sekera 1.5m
Butler .9m
Gerbe QO ~.9m
Enroth QO ~.72m
Montador? 2.5m

As for Stafford, I think Pavelski is a good comparable in terms of age and production. He makes 4m, but kills penalties and is a better defensive player. Anything over 4m for Stafford is imo an overpayment.

Payroll with all of those guys signed: ~52.5m

Other offseason transactions:
* Sign/Trade for No. 1/1b/2 center: Richards would be a dream of course. Other (semi) affordable/realistic choices I like are Ribeiro, Stastny on the high side or Stoll, Bolland, J. Staal, Vermette on the lower side. As for Weiss, I don't exactly see him as much of an upgrade over Timmy, plus they'd have to give up major assets to get him. If they sign Richards/trade for Stastny then Stafford or Pominville are probably gone or they won't sign a 1st pairing dman. (+ max. 5m)

** Sign/Trade for 1st pairing defenseman: Someone who plays like Seabrook would be imo the perfect dman paired with Myers. All the high-end guys on the UFA-market are pmd though and have some (major) questionmarks plus not sure we need more pmd. Bieksa (injury history + depth on Van-D + horrible year before), Ehrhoff (depth on Van-D, people are saying Edler covers a lot of his mistakes, so not exactly sure if he's ideal with Myers), Markov (knee injuries), Pitkanen (inconsistency). Maybe a #2 pairing guy guy like Ian White is the best solution. Too bad Martin or Michalek were UFAs a year too soon, they'd be my dream choices.

I'd like to unload Morrisonn, because I'd rather have Montador and Butler, Weber and Sekera will be cheaper/better. Unfortunately I don't see a market for him, so we're probably stuck with him. If they sign a 1st pairing dmen, it's either Morrisonn or Montador.
(+ max. 3.5m (5.5m-2/2.5m))

In any case they add at most 8.5m which adds to the cap payroll to a max. of 61m. Salary cap goes up about 3m next year, so it would work.

Lineup:
Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Ennis-*-Boyes
Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville
Adam/Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Adam/Gerbe

**-Myers
Leopold-Montador/Morrisonn/Butler
Sekera-Weber
Butler/Morrisonn

Miller
Enroth

I'd love a 4th line with McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta, but Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville would be an amazing shutdown line with some scoring touch.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:38 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Hi guys, have been reading this forum for quite a while, but just thought this thread is a great idea, so why not share some of my pipe dreams.

Don't re-sign:
Nieds, Lalime, Grier, Connolly

Re-Sign:
McCormick .8m
Stafford 3.5m
Weber 1.3m
Sekera 1.5m
Butler .9m
Gerbe QO ~.9m
Enroth QO ~.72m
Montador? 2.5m

As for Stafford, I think Pavelski is a good comparable in terms of age and production. He makes 4m, but kills penalties and is a better defensive player. Anything over 4m for Stafford is imo an overpayment.

Payroll with all of those guys signed: ~52.5m

Other offseason transactions:
* Sign/Trade for No. 1/1b/2 center: Richards would be a dream of course. Other (semi) affordable/realistic choices I like are Ribeiro, Stastny on the high side or Stoll, Bolland, J. Staal, Vermette on the lower side. As for Weiss, I don't exactly see him as much of an upgrade over Timmy, plus they'd have to give up major assets to get him. If they sign Richards/trade for Stastny then Stafford or Pominville are probably gone or they won't sign a 1st pairing dman. (+ max. 5m)

** Sign/Trade for 1st pairing defenseman: Someone who plays like Seabrook would be imo the perfect dman paired with Myers. All the high-end guys on the UFA-market are pmd though and have some (major) questionmarks plus not sure we need more pmd. Bieksa (injury history + depth on Van-D + horrible year before), Ehrhoff (depth on Van-D, people are saying Edler covers a lot of his mistakes, so not exactly sure if he's ideal with Myers), Markov (knee injuries), Pitkanen (inconsistency). Maybe a #2 pairing guy guy like Ian White is the best solution. Too bad Martin or Michalek were UFAs a year too soon, they'd be my dream choices.

I'd like to unload Morrisonn, because I'd rather have Montador and Butler, Weber and Sekera will be cheaper/better. Unfortunately I don't see a market for him, so we're probably stuck with him. If they sign a 1st pairing dmen, it's either Morrisonn or Montador.
(+ max. 3.5m (5.5m-2/2.5m))

In any case they add at most 8.5m which adds to the cap payroll to a max. of 61m. Salary cap goes up about 3m next year, so it would work.

Lineup:
Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Ennis-*-Boyes
Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville
Adam/Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Adam/Gerbe

**-Myers
Leopold-Montador/Morrisonn/Butler
Sekera-Weber
Butler/Morrisonn

Miller
Enroth

I'd love a 4th line with McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta, but Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville would be an amazing shutdown line with some scoring touch.
Looks pretty good/realistic. I love that third line, it keeps H/P together and bumps Goose up to where he can contribute more. I think based on whats happened this year, we divide Roy and Vanek next year. So we're looking at Ennis-Roy-Stafford, and a center to go between Vanek and Boyes.

Honestly if they really have 7.5M in space after all those resignings, I'd say make a play for Richards.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I have ZERO interest in Sekera playing forward. He's lost in the offensive zone more often than not, especially when he gets below the circles.
Other than Housley, when has any Sabre defenseman ever looked comfortable at forward? Paetsch was ordinary; Montador awful; and Sekera worse.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
I say come back with exactly the same D next year. Sign Monty to something reasonable, the 3 kids on D to cheap RFA deals, and spend our budget up front.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Other than Housley, when has any Sabre defenseman ever looked comfortable at forward? Paetsch was ordinary; Montador awful; and Sekera worse.
He was a defenseman?

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
I say come back with exactly the same D next year. Sign Monty to something reasonable, the 3 kids on D to cheap RFA deals, and spend our budget up front.
Problem is, UFA forwards, especially centers, besides Richards blow, so unless you want them to spend ~8.5m on Langenbrunner, Arnott, Connolly, Fleischmann and/or Handzus, there's not much choice left. Maybe they can make a trade for another overpaid forward (like you know take on Dubinsky and Drury in case Rangers get Richards ).

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Paradigm

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Brad Richards ($7.800m) / Brad Boyes ($4.000m)
Tyler Ennis ($0.875m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Drew Stafford ($3.300m)
Jochen Hecht ($3.525m) / Luke Adam ($0.875m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Cody McCormick ($0.550m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m)

DEFENSEMEN
Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Tyler Myers ($1.300m)
Jordan Leopold ($3.000m) / Steve Montador ($2.000m)
Mike Weber ($0.750m) / Andrej Sekera ($1.500m)
Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($0.866m)

BUYOUTS: Tim Kennedy ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,458,690; BONUSES: $562,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): -$458,690

----------------------

Only 21-man roster, and some numbers are probably off, but damn does that line-up look hot

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote