HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Red Wings buyout Hatcher, Whitney, McCarty

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Please, Tallon, NO!

Old
07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
No suprises here, McCarty could fit well in Ottawa, he'd probably be the target for quite a few teams though.

As for other buyouts, I'm suprised Turgeon hasn't been bought out yet (or has he and nobody cares)?

Old
07-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
No suprises here, McCarty could fit well in Ottawa, he'd probably be the target for quite a few teams though.

As for other buyouts, I'm suprised Turgeon hasn't been bought out yet (or has he and nobody cares)?
No Turgeon has not been bought out yet. The Stars have said they won't be doing any buying out until they see what the situation with Modano and Zubov are and they re-sign their 2003 draft picks. At that point they will know how much money they have. I personally don't think buying Turgeon out is a given, especially if they lose Modano.

Guess that long term security didn't work out for Hatcher too well in Detroit eh?

Old
07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Nothing has changed in the last 5 years or so, enforcers still have their job to do.

If enforcers are useless, why 90% of the teams have one and 90% will use their enforcers regularly?

Let's see how you feel about Wings lacking one when a young tough guy starts taking whacks at Zetterberg or Datsyuk behind refs back and they can do nothing.
How many thug attacks can you say have been prevented by having an enforcer on your bench? The fact so many teams still rely on enforcers to keep the peace only shows how many teams waste roster spots.

Colorado having Peter Worrell didn't prevent Bertuzzi from going upside Moore's head.
Philadelphia have always had at least one or two guys who could drop and go with anyone, but that didn't prevent anyone from going high on Lindros' suspect mellon. The wings had McCarty when Allen broke Zetterberg's leg.
Colorado's almost always had someone (simon, parker, worrel) around who can lay a beat down but that didn't stop Maltby from breaking Kamensky's wrist or teams from going after Forsberg.
Detroit had McCarty and Lapointe (and Stum Grimson for a couple of playoff games) when Claude sent Draper face first into the boards.

Those are just incidents I can pick off the top of my head where someone was injured while the enforcer sat on the bench. Players have been cheapshotted pretty steadily, regardless of who sat on the bench, for quite awhile and it hasn't mattered what monster you had sitting on the end of your bench.

I won't be happy if/when someone cheapshots Zetterberg/Datsyuk/whoever, but I don't think it's preventable by just having Peter Worrell sitting on the bench. If the NHL really cared about their players getting cheapshotted and injured, they'd start calling far heavier penalties/fines/suspensions and forcing players through their wallet or through punishing the team through a long suspension to really clean up the crap in this league. Until then, I'd rather see players signed who can play more than five minutes a game without being a horrible liability.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:49 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
How many thug attacks can you say have been prevented by having an enforcer on your bench? The fact so many teams still rely on enforcers to keep the peace only shows how many teams waste roster spots.
The whole concept of enforcers is simply whacked. They don't prevent anything. At best, they provide an insane "eye for an eye" type justice, but there most certainly is no "policing" which keeps things in hand.

It's like the old man in New York City with the rock that keeps elephants away. "See? It's working!".

Just for accuracy, this topic is misnamed. They haven't been bought out, they've been placed on waivers.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
The whole concept of enforcers is simply whacked. They don't prevent anything. At best, they provide an insane "eye for an eye" type justice, but there most certainly is no "policing" which keeps things in hand.

It's like the old man in New York City with the rock that keeps elephants away. "See? It's working!".

Just for accuracy, this topic is misnamed. They haven't been bought out, they've been placed on waivers.
Its my understanding that being placed on waivers is part of the process to be bought out.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:58 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grift69
Its my understanding that being placed on waivers is part of the process to be bought out.
They could be claimed on waivers under their current contracts.

Old
07-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
They could be claimed on waivers under their current contracts.
No team is going to claim any of them at their current contracts though.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:47 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Go ask Teemu Selšnne when Ducks didn't have tough guys except Severyn who was out with bad back all the time. Kariya & Selšnne were constantly targets until management realized this and went out and brought in McKEnzie & Grimson. After that Selšnne & Kariya were left alone by opponents.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Tell me this, if that's true, why do 90% of the teams have atleast 1 enforcer??

Yeah, those GMs and coach must be stupid

Old
07-26-2005, 07:12 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Tell me this, if that's true, why do 90% of the teams have atleast 1 enforcer??

Yeah, those GMs and coach must be stupid
most of those enforcers never saw ice time except for the final minutes to "Send a message." now if they do that there are fines and suspensions, mandatory. They saw NO icetime during the play-offs or important games.

I still remember a great incident between Detroit and Colorado, Scott Parker, during the pregame skates was hanging out near center ice staring down red wing players, attempted to egg them into something. Red wing players were just laughing at him. He didnt play at all during the game, or the entire series, but they sat him at the end of the bench next to the red wing side between the partitions so he could "Stare down" the bench. The wings laughed at him the entire series.

Enforcers now need to be able to skate, and play effectively. The trap system let Goons play because they could just obstruct to keep in position.

If they call obstruction, goons better be able to skate or no longer will their only liability be stupid penalties. Tell me how much Ice time Eric Cairns, Peter Worrell, Scott Parker, Rein Low or Wade Brookbank will get if they are consistantly beet on the long pass while trying to "patrol the ice."

Old
07-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
I'm hoping Holland doesn't go out and get the classic enforcer. I'd like to see the Wings bring in some grit and nastiness, but in players who go out and bang bodies, not drop gloves. I think the best way to counteract teams taking shots at you, is to strike first and take the physical game to them.

Thats true, i want someone who can contribute but can also provide some protection. But those guys are few and far between.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:41 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Thats true, i want someone who can contribute but can also provide some protection. But those guys are few and far between.
its a shame because mccarty used to be that way.

If he still was he would of never been bought out, and would be worth the money he was paid.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:49 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
I can see McCarty to Vancouver, Whitney to Edmonton, but where is Hatcher going?
If St. Lou can't afford Pronger, wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Blues Uniform next season.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
its a shame because mccarty used to be that way.

If he still was he would of never been bought out, and would be worth the money he was paid.

I agree, and listening to him of the WRIF he doesn't rule out coming back to play in Detroit. But it's all about the money and Darren was overpaid for what he brought on the ice. For what he did off the ice and for the community i dont think you could pay the guy enough. Welcome to the new NHL.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:58 AM
roccol

How much could you pay him to be an embarrising drunk? A terrible lead singer in a terrible band? This guy has not showed any commitment to playing hockey in a few years.

Closed Thread