HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2011, 02:44 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Gaborik and Demitra were constantly broken up for lack of chemistry.
I thought Sather was at one point considering trading for Demitra to bring those two back together? And a ton of highlights from Gabby's tenure in Minnesota showed him and Demitra on the same line. Are you sure it wasn't just line juggling to spark the rest of the team? Their offense outside of Gaborik was anemic for years.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

As a general principle, we should not be signing players on the basis that they "might" have chemistry with another player on our roster... If the player can't contribute on lines 1 through 3 regardless of his line-mates, we should stay away....

Old
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I thought Sather was at one point considering trading for Demitra to bring those two back together? And a ton of highlights from Gabby's tenure in Minnesota showed him and Demitra on the same line. Are you sure it wasn't just line juggling to spark the rest of the team? Their offense outside of Gaborik was anemic for years.
There were one-again, off-again... like many duos I guess.

Quote:
On the ice at least, the chummy, high-scoring Slovaks were forbidden from coming within breathing distance of each other because -- at the time -- Lemaire bemoaned, "nothing was happening, except goals-against.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/15293371.html

Old
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This is what has been reported about Richards and his future

Pierre LeBrun in December

Quote:
I was told this week that the Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer among the top teams on Richards' wish list come July 1. From talking to different people around the league and connecting the dots, I believe his most desirable destinations are Dallas (staying put), the New York Rangers (he won a Cup with coach John Tortorella), Tampa Bay (back to his roots) and the Los Angeles Kings (team on the rise). Never say never in terms of Toronto, because you never know how much money talks come July 1, but I get the sense the Leafs aren't on the radar for Richards and his agent, Pat Morris of Newport Sports.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...caps-struggles

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun last month

Quote:
The free agent to-be has told an old Tampa source that he has no real interest in playing in Toronto, if he, in fact, becomes a free agent come July. Richards’ first choice is to remain in Dallas, assuming the team gets sold and can afford to sign him. His second and third choice, not necessarily in order, would be returning to Tampa (which doesn’t seem possible economically) or playing for his old coach, John Tortorella, with the New York Rangers. He has also hinted about having some interest regarding playing in Carolina.

When asked about Toronto, he apparently said nothing but shook his head.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../17341466.html

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...1092&id=100263

1:45

Old
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'm saying Richards can get comparable money from Dallas on his new contract, it's not about money for HIM... It's about the team he signs his next contract with having the money to pay the rest of the team and field the most competitive roster possible... What you said in your last sentence rings true for players who need/want a big payday, but in this case, the sticking point for Richards is whether or not his next team will have the $$$ to pay other players on the roster...
It doesn't matter. If he's healthy and Gaborik is healthy and Sather can find the money I have no problem with him coming here no matter what his reasons may be and provided it does not hand cuff the team further financially. And since money is not the main issue issue with him, I'll be looking forward to him signing a 4 year deal at 5 mil per. You know, so this way the Rangers have the ability to spend some money on the rest of the roster so they can field the most competitive team possible.

Old
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

There are no other baskets available this offseason.

Old
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Dantes19

Quick question:

Can anyone name the last team to win a Stanley Cup with a #1 Center they signed from free agency?

Old
03-03-2011, 11:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

My guess would be the Rangers/Messier.

Who, coincidently, signed when he was 30, to lead a young team on the rise to reach their goal.

A team that had its core in place (Leetch, Graves, Beukeboom, Zubov, Amonte, Weight, Nemchinov, Turcotte, Broten), with a franchise goaltender (Richter), and an elite goal scorer (Gartner). With more core guys on the way (Kovalev, Sundstrom).

Old guards left or leaving (Ogrodnick).

A situation not unlike this one.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Boyle, Del Zotto...core in place.

Elite goaltender, Lundqvist.

Elite goal scorer, Gaborik.

More guys on the way (Kreider, Werek, Hagelin, Thomas, Grachev, McIlrath).

Old guard leaving, Drury.

There are some parallells in a different era. No hall-of-famers here, but no rags either.

And, there's no rule written, that if you fail to develop an elite superstar #1 center, that you can't add him via trade or free agency. The Stanley Cup won't know the difference if the team gets there.

But let's hope this regime doesn't start shipping off its young core members for rentals and a one-time run.

This time keep the Amonte's, Weight's, Zubov's, and make longer term success.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:28 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
That's just not true. I had season tickets for 3 years in Minnesota and they just couldn't work together. Gaborik was a one man show in Minnesota. Demitra cashed a check twice a month.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Who, coincidently, signed when he was 30, to lead a young team on the rise to reach their goal.

A team that had its core in place (Leetch, Graves, Beukeboom, Zubov, Amonte, Weight, Nemchinov, Turcotte, Broten), with a franchise goaltender (Richter), and an elite goal scorer (Gartner). With more core guys on the way (Kovalev, Sundstrom).

Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Boyle, Del Zotto...core in place.

There are some parallells in a different era. No hall-of-famers here, but no rags either.

And, there's no rule written, that if you fail to develop an elite superstar #1 center, that you can't add him via trade or free agency. The Stanley Cup won't know the difference if the team gets there.

But let's hope this regime doesn't start shipping off its young core members for rentals and a one-time run.

Rangers traded for Messier. At least the first time, when he was good and led them to the cup.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Machinehead
Pinot Kreider

vCash: 50
Quote:

Big difference; the '94 core makes the '11 core look like a WHL team. And Richards is NOT Messier, any way you slice it.

Thing about it...

Adam Graves in '94 >>>>> A gimpy Gaborik.

Brian Leetch >>>>> Our top 3 defensemen combined

Richter >>>>>> Lundqvist

Zubov >>>>>> Any defensemen we have.

Larmer >>>>> Any center have.

Kovalev >>>>> Any scorer we have besides Gaborik.

Beukeboom, hell there's noone to even compare to him because our D lacks any physicality.

People want Brad Richards cause they think he's gonna do what Messier did with the '94 team. Like I said, Richards is no Messier, and this team is so far behind the '94 team that's it's absurd to even compare them.

Last edited by Machinehead: 03-04-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old
03-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Machinehead
Pinot Kreider

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
Quick question:

Can anyone name the last team to win a Stanley Cup with a #1 Center they signed from free agency?
I believe that would be the New York Rangers, longass time ago.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
There are no other baskets available this offseason.
Then you need to do the hard thing and be willing to take a step back or two. This "one guy will change everything" mentality has polluted this team since the Lindros trade.

Where's the creativity? Discover talent. Be aggressive. Stop acting like waiting for the kids to develop result in a Cup-contending team — because there's no guarantee it will and not every prospect is going to pan out.

03-04-2011, 06:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I believe that would be the New York Rangers, longass time ago.
Well the Devils since then.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The situation when Messier arrived and the possible arrival of Richards this summer absolutely have parralells.

If you step back from the ledge of the cliff, open your eyes, you'd realize it.

Messier stepped in to lead a young team, teach the young guys what winning is about, show them what it takes to win.

Brad Richards absolutely possesses those qualities.

Read.

Anything you read regarding Richards and his impact on the young guys in Dallas, heck, even the guys in Tampa when he was only 24 years old, you'd know that Richards is one of the rare players that are not only elite in talent, but put the effort in to accomplish his goals, demand the same from his teammates, assume a leadership role, and understand what it takes to win and relays the message to his team both by action and in voice.

The impact Richards can have on this young team could be HUGE.

The fact is, he understands how fetching the opportunity to win a Stanley Cup is. Players think when/if they win it when they're young that they'll have another shot, and its simply not the way it works. He's looking to win. The Rangers are looking to turn/develop these kids into winners.

You sign Richards and guys like Stepan and Anisimov assume a role they can be successful in with less pressure. And in 5 or so years when Richards bows out, Stepan and Anisimov are entering their prime years.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi, Staal will be entering their prime years soon. They're ready to help carry this team to the next level. Richards coming in here could provide the proper guidance and help them do it.

Richards is on another level then Gomez and Drury are/were. And this is a different situation then when they came in over 4 years ago. This isn't a veteran team. This is a young team that needs an elite veteran to help lead them to the next level.

(Not Fedotenko, Prospal, Drury)

Richards is a legitimate elite player. A guy who can be at the top of the league in scoring on a consistent basis.

A guy who makes his teammates better players both on and off the ice.

He's a player that brings credibility.

All these things Messier brought back in 91 when he arrived.

They may not be comparable in other ways, including the young guys, but the situation is similar, it absolutely is.

Richards
Gaborik
Lundqvist
Staal

Is not any lesser then

Richards
Carter
Giroux
Pronger

Dubinsky
Callahan
Stepan
Sauer
McDonagh
Anisimov

Versteeg
VanReimsdyk
Hartnell

So on.

You can put the team we would have up against the best in the East.

The impact a guy like Richards would have is invaluable to a young team like this. He made that impact in Tampa, he made the impact on Dallas and the kids developed with his guidance and they were real contenders this year until he got hurt. And then they traded Neal. So 2/3 of their top line is gone.

Also, Richards takes some pressure off Gaborik, who I don't feel is a guy that can be THE guy. He's a scorer, not as much a battle hardened leader like Richards is.

Old
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

A) I hope you are right (and I don't know enough about Richards to say either way)

B) I hope we can sign him (if you ARE right)

because:

C) we need to do SOMETHING!

and...

D) did I mention "FIRE SATHER!" ?

03-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

After our last games, Are we sure he really wants to come here...

Old
03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Islanderfan72

How would you fit him under the cap with all the RFA's you have who will get raises.

I figure dubinsky and callahan will combine for 8.5 million.

Boyle will need 2 million

Anisimov will get 1.5 million

That takes away 12 of the 16-19 million in cap space you have next year.

You also have to sign depth players and defenseman.

To me I don't see how you can fit him except if there is a trade to drop some salary. I can't see montreal taking drury like they did gomez.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
How would you fit him under the cap with all the RFA's you have who will get raises.

I figure dubinsky and callahan will combine for 8.5 million.

Boyle will need 2 million

Anisimov will get 1.5 million

That takes away 12 of the 16-19 million in cap space you have next year.

You also have to sign depth players and defenseman.

To me I don't see how you can fit him except if there is a trade to drop some salary. I can't see montreal taking drury like they did gomez.
We are operating under the assumption that Drury is bought out, or optimally retires. If that does not happen, you are right, there is really no way to sign him.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
allstar3970

What do we think gets it done? if it's much higher than $7Mil X 5 years I think we need to bow out

As an aside, can we please stop saying that Messier was signed as a UFA?? WE TRADED FOR HIM. Not the first time I've seen this in a thread lately.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:

Messier was acquired via trade

Old
03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Expected Richards back tonight? Not so fast.

Quote:
Real_ESPNLeBrun

From Stars via news release, ``Brad Richards won’t play tonight and did not skate this morning in Anaheim. He is still feeling symptoms after skating yesterday with the rest of the team. Coach Marc Crawford says the team will find out how he feels tomorrow.''

Old
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Messier was acquired via trade
Yeah my mistake.

I was young when we got him, I hadn't realized he was traded for, I just remember his arrival.

Old
03-04-2011, 02:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bad news for Richards

Quote:
From Stars via news release, ``Brad Richards won’t play tonight and did not skate this morning in Anaheim. He is still feeling symptoms after skating yesterday with the rest of the team. Coach Marc Crawford says the team will find out how he feels tomorrow.''
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/Real_ESPNLeBrun/~6V7zI

Old
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
An update: Brad Richards didn't skate this morning in Anaheim. He apparently was feeling some symptoms after yesterday's practice.
https://twitter.com/#!/andrewsdsp/st...75766177136640

Closed Thread