HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

What a disaster 2nd half.

What a mishandling of personnel and misjudge of talent.

How is it everybody but Tortorella sees that Gilroy sucks?

Where is the "safe is death"?

Where are the winning streaks?

Old
03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Not his fault, bromein.

Starts with the genius upstairs. Give 'em a respectable product, and he'll do fine.

03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
What a disaster 2nd half.

What a mishandling of personnel and misjudge of talent.

How is it everybody but Tortorella sees that Gilroy sucks?

Where is the "safe is death"?

Where are the winning streaks?
I like Torts a lot, and think he is the perfect coach for this team. But I do not think this is 'right' team for him to be coaching.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Sather needs to be canned not torts. But hey we've been saying this for years.

And Rangers44 you post this in every singe GDT and PGT why do you now need to make a thread for this on its own when everyone already knows your POV.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:08 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
I don't think this is "anyone's" team to be coaching, at least not as of yet.

Stop ****ing turning over the roster every season and have a few good years with our homegrown players and we'll develop and know what type of coach we need.

As stated above, starts with the man upstairs. I personally think Torts is doing fine with what he has to work with.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:09 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Torts even said it was going to get tougher; other teams got better and the Rangers didn't.

300 man games lost to injury. Losing Frolov and Fedetenko and exchanging them with Wolski and a one legged Propsal didn't help the grit.

Torts stays even if it's just to get Richards here. It took him a few years to get the ship right in Tampa. I give him one more year.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Torts even said it was going to get tougher; other teams got better and the Rangers didn't.

300 man games lost to injury. Losing Frolov and Fedetenko and exchanging them with Wolski and a one legged Propsal didn't help the grit.

Torts stays even if it's just to get Richards here. It took him a few years to get the ship right in Tampa. I give him one more year.
I think giving him one more year is 100% fair. If this team shows no improvement next year, then think about canning him.

You can't really blame the guy for this year though. Hes actually done a lot with mediocre talent and a ton of injures. Not to mention his star player has shown up for about 3 games.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:13 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Bozak View Post
I don't think this is "anyone's" team to be coaching, at least not as of yet.

Stop ****ing turning over the roster every season and have a few good years with our homegrown players and we'll develop and know what type of coach we need.

As stated above, starts with the man upstairs. I personally think Torts is doing fine with what he has to work with.
The roster turnover has been minimal the past couple of season.

Turning over the roster does not mean adding guys like Frolov, Fedotenko, Eminger, Biron, Boogaard, McCabe and Wolski. Turning over the roster refers to the core of a group.

The same core of Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Girardi and Lundqvist remains, while the young talent is finally being added. There is no problem with that, and that is exactly what they should be doing.

Roster turnover would be replacing guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, etc with other guys continuously, disallowing a core to be established. That is what the Pittsburgh Pirates do.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

More like if we miss the playoffs our medical staff needs to get canned. How do you let Gaborik finish the game, then play two more before realizing he has a concussion?

Old
03-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

If we miss the playoffs Tortorella absolutely has to go. Missing the playoffs is absolutely humiliating and makes us no better than the Oilers. Is Torts working with a Stanley Cup team here? No he's not, but this is a playoff team.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I want Torts for one more year but I can't say I'm the biggest Sullivan guy. They gotta bring in someone who actually knows how to work a PP.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
The roster turnover has been minimal the past couple of season.

Turning over the roster does not mean adding guys like Frolov, Fedotenko, Eminger, Biron, Boogaard, McCabe and Wolski. Turning over the roster refers to the core of a group.

The same core of Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Girardi and Lundqvist remains, while the young talent is finally being added. There is no problem with that, and that is exactly what they should be doing.

Roster turnover would be replacing guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, etc with other guys continuously, disallowing a core to be established. That is what the Pittsburgh Pirates do.
Without a doubt. I'm referring to the past, more so unfolding now.

We go from turnovers to now falling into a few seasons with locking down the homegrown talent and bringing in some role players and acquisitions that might help or benefit the team in terms of making the playoffs.

Yet, we're what, three years into this? Our young players (Dubi/Cally/Etc.) are still developing and showing their potential/identities over the last two seasons. If we're really moving forward with a youth movement, you'll build your team not around these guys, but the system around them. Torts has done nothing out of line that shows me he doesn't know what he's doing with the team.

Yes, sure, he has games here and there where there should have been a clearly defined type of game we should have played. Or there have been defensive pairs that the majority of the fans do not agree with. Decisions here and there that anyone can argue or speculate about. It will happen with any coach. I just don't get where the Tortorella hate is coming from. I'm open to hearing whatever criticism anyone has against him or what he's been doing, but I'm more inclined into thinking that once again, the entire fan base needs a scapegoat when things aren't positive around here.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
More like if we miss the playoffs our medical staff needs to get canned. How do you let Gaborik finish the game, then play two more before realizing he has a concussion?
The medical staff has been fine. The Rangers have been one of the healthiest clubs in the league in seasons leading up to this one. This year was a freak accident, and that happens from time to time to even the healthiest of clubs.

As for Gaborik, concussions are extremely hard to examine. For all we know, he probably didn't have any symptoms at all, and felt fine. If any medical staff needs to go, it's the Penguins for allowing Crosby on the ice so soon after his first concussion, now he won't be back until next year it looks like, and nobody knows how good he'll be anymore.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Tortarella is not a good coach in my opinion. He's overrated and won the Stanley Cup with a lot of talent around him.

Terrible motivator, coaching skills are slightly above average at best, and his whole coaching philosophy just sucks.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:40 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

So the question is of course; if not Torts then who?

The Rangers don't really have a young coach they're grooming in the system and other than Ken Hitchcock who is even out there? I suggested Bengt-Åke Gustafsson last year and got ripped for it.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:44 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post

At least. Unless wheels completely fall off next season.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:45 PM
In The Flesh

**** Torts, but who's gonna be coach? He won't get fired.

Look, weren't we predicted to be **** this yr?

We came out decent and have hung in there, but the injuries are pilling up serious.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:47 PM
broadwayblue

This team played over its head for the first half of the season and less so since then. Not sure how a roster of limited talent is Tort's fault. He'll be back for sure.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:47 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Tortarella is not a good coach in my opinion. He's overrated and won the Stanley Cup with a lot of talent around him.

Terrible motivator, coaching skills are slightly above average at best, and his whole coaching philosophy just sucks.

When we were playing really well in November and December some people on here were saying the exact opposite. Torts was a good coach, the right coach for this team, good motivator etc.

Not saying it was you but there were people on here saying that.

Bottom line is that this team was a 50/50 chance of making playoffs at the start of the season. The good start they had gave people false sense of hope. If you ask me the Rangers right now are where I expected them to be.

Old
03-03-2011, 11:49 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Gets one more year.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:01 AM
XLJ

Torts has not done a good job since becoming rangers coach. He acted like a clown during the washington series. We missed the playoffs last year. If we complete the collapse, and miss the playoffs after being a playoff team for the majority of the season it will be very disappointing. Renney > Torts

That being said I wouldn't fire him. I'd give him one more year. The GM should be getting most of the blame.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

You think Girardi is overrated, and should have been traded awhile ago.
You would trade Gaborik++ for an unsigned Richards, and fistric.
You were upset during the deadline when Christensen, and Gilroy weren't moved.

There is so much wrong with your whole outlook on hockey. This thread compliments your asinine posts quite well. Let's fire a coach who has very little top-tier talent in the organization, with a roster decimated with injuries. Yet his team is still over .500, and is in the hunt.

Go root for the Devils or something.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You think Girardi is overrated, and should have been traded awhile ago.
You would trade Gaborik++ for an unsigned Richards, and fistric.
You were upset during the deadline when Christensen, and Gilroy weren't moved.

There is so much wrong with your whole outlook on hockey. This thread compliments your asinine posts quite well. Let's fire a coach who has very little top-tier talent in the organization, with a roster decimated with injuries. Yet his team is still over .500, and is in the hunt.

Go root for the Devils or something.
So was everyone else.

Well, not so much Christensen, but I would have been elated if Gilroy was somehow moved out.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:26 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Whenever the team slumps or something like that happens-- clueless fans always point the blame on the coach. I guess Lindy Ruff should've been fire a few times over by now. You have to look at the talent that is available for a coach to work with.

John Torterella is a helluva coach; and this is coming from a guy who didn't want Renney fired.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Coaching hasn't been a problem for the Rangers since the lockout.

Closed Thread