HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Smaller Wheels for Smaller Skates?

Old
03-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
Smaller Wheels for Smaller Skates?

I recently went a half size down and got 6.5R Vapor RX25s. They fit great and all, but it feels like the boot is way too small for the chassis and wheels.

With the size 7 boot, the wheels kinda stuck out but now about half of the wheel comes out on either end. While it's not hindering my skating abilities, I'm wondering if it would be better for a smaller guy like myself to use smaller wheels?

It's a vanguard hi-lo set up (76/80) so I was thinking about going to maybe a 72/76? Is it even worth doing and will it help my skating? If it's even possible, what are the downsides to doing this?

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
The Devil In I
#NoPainNoLaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
I recently went a half size down and got 6.5R Vapor RX25s. They fit great and all, but it feels like the boot is way too small for the chassis and wheels.

With the size 7 boot, the wheels kinda stuck out but now about half of the wheel comes out on either end. While it's not hindering my skating abilities, I'm wondering if it would be better for a smaller guy like myself to use smaller wheels?

It's a vanguard hi-lo set up (76/80) so I was thinking about going to maybe a 72/76? Is it even worth doing and will it help my skating? If it's even possible, what are the downsides to doing this?
I don't think them sticking out is a problem other than maybe 'aesthetics'...but I'm almost positive larger wheels are better than smaller wheels for skaters. Faster and larger gripping area.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Rolston View Post
I don't think them sticking out is a problem other than maybe 'aesthetics'...but I'm almost positive larger wheels are better than smaller wheels for skaters. Faster and larger gripping area.
You're right about them being faster, but smaller wheels have a tighter turn radius than larger wheels. So better really depends on what your aiming to get out of your wheel.

As for the original post, larger or smaller wheels are all about preference. Each has their advantages and shortcomings, so if you want to try switching it up then by all means do so. You might like smaller wheels better, and if you don't, then just swap back in your larger wheels

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote